Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

When to use 4X4

newby6newby6 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Just bought my first pick up truck and also happens to be my first 4X4, 2007 Dodge Dakota automatic 4.7 engine. Mechanic said the best way to avoid transmission problems is to leave car in 4X4 at all times. Salesman said keep in 2X2 until needed in 4X4. Book seems to favor salesman. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    Are you sure he said this? If he did he is way off. If you drove with your truck in 4x4 all the time, your front differential wouldn't last long. Unless your vehicle is set up from the factory to drive in 4 wheel drive all the time, like an Audi or Subaru, you should under no circumstances drive in everyday/highway traffic with your 4x4 engaged. Since the front wheels are moving at slightly different speeds than the rear wheels at all times, if 4x4 was engaged, this would cause a mismatch in the front diff and gears would begin to bind against eachother until something gave, most likely being your front diff blowing up.

this site might help explain a little more:
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Do not use 4x4 on dry pavement.
    Only engage 4x4 in areas where you think you may have a need for it. Like gravel roads, mud, ice, snow.
    Places where the front tires can give when you turn.
    Engaging 4x4 on dry pavement will usually do one of a few things. Either tear up the differential, axles or tires.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I wouldn't use a traditional 4-hi or 4-lo on dry pavement. I would use auto-4wd or awd mode on dry or rainy weather and 2wd for dry pavement.

-mike
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    My bad, I'm still a bit old school and keep forgetting to consider AWD as 4x4. :shades:
  • tinkatinka Member Posts: 1
    Hubby and I own a 2005 2500HD Silverado and a 2004 Blazer, both with 4-wheel drive, both bought new. The debate is whether or not you should periodically drive the vehicles in 4-hi so as to keep everything lubricated and nothing jams when you really need it.

We keep our vehicles VERY well maintained and I don't see a need to do this, but it has sparked a debate in the neighborhood.

Any opinions?

Who's right?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you read your manual it will likely (not 100% sure) say that you need to engage the 4wd 1x a month and drive it back and forth a few times (maybe down your driveway) so that the actuater get's lubed. I've seen several vehicles (different makes and models) get stuck in 2wd due to not having done this.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.