Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Diesel?

13»

Comments

• subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    I wish that Toyota would just simply give us the HILUX, which is proven and reliable. I have wanted one of these for years. Toyota should forget about California and give us this much needed truck!
  • state2insscamstate2insscam Member Posts: 4
    Any body know about this engine like HP and fuel economy? :shades:
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Talked to a couple of dealerships this past week. They have both heard 2010. But, things can change.
  • gsdacregsdacre Member Posts: 2
    I owned a Tacoma diesel in Africa and did over 300,000miles. I sold it when I left there in 1994, and wentback in 2003 and it is still running...
    Gordon
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum

We would love to have a Tacoma diesel PU in the USA. We do not because of politics. There is no real desire in Congress to cut fossil fuel consumption at this time. If there was we would have embraced small diesel vehicles 10 years or more ago. Did you keep any records of mileage in your diesel PU truck? It has to be a lot better than their gas guzzling model sold here. The gas version may get 18 MPG. One poster with a Tacoma diesel was getting 35+ MPG. Pretty impressive.
  • wadehicksjrwadehicksjr Member Posts: 3
    Any Idea if the 3.0 or the 4.5 Diesel can mate to the 4X4 5 speed auto trans on the current model? If so would the V8 fit? It would be cool to run biofuel in that beast. I might be in the market for the swap.
  • rmerme Member Posts: 7
    I'm in agreement with most of the guys on this forum. A 2.5 Liter Diesel that is turbo charged would be more than enough for most of us in the TACO range. Mileage is what we're after and then the occasional use we put on it for a truck. I've seen the Hilux overseas and it's a winner for the U.S.. Put the accessories on it and it will sell. I drive a VW diesel and now that I have one I want more....
  • pstory23pstory23 Member Posts: 5
    Toyota already makes a diesel version of the Tacoma (known as the Hilux). The Hilux offers two turbocharged diesel engine options. These vehicles get 30-35 mpg, can tow 5,000lbs., and will last 300,000+ miles. If you want it in the U.S., then go to the Toyota website and contact them, via email, and request it. Let them know you want the Hilux (with the diesel option) available in the U.S. as soon as possible. I contacted Toyota and they said they are considering bringing the Hilux to the U.S., but were gauging customer demand. Each customer's request is given a file number and is cataloged. When enough people demand the Hilux in the U.S., they will make it available. So now is the time to let them know what you think!

P.S. Just google "2009 Toyota Hilux Euro Spec" if you want to see the Hilux already available in Europe. The Hilux is a far superior vehicle than the Tacoma we are stuck with in the U.S.
    Welcome to the Forum,

I will contact my Toyota dealer. I would like a small diesel PU truck to replace my gas hog Ford Ranger. The only way I would buy another Toyota would be if it is a diesel. We have a poster that was in the Philippines with the Hilux Diesel and loved it. He was disappointed that he could not ship it to the USA when he returned.
    There's no need to contact your local Toyota dealer. If they could import the Hilux, they would have already done so. That's why you need to write Toyota. Go to this link and just follow the directions:

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/ask_intercept.php

It is my understanding Toyota is seriously contemplating bringing the Hilux to the U.S., but there may be some political issues preventing them from doing so. All we can do is let Toyota know how many of us are ready to purchase the diesel option when it becomes available. With truck sales plummeting (mainly due to high gas prices), Toyota is acutely aware of the need for a diesel engine in the U.S. truck market.
    One of two things will have to happen for US to get the HiLux diesel here.

1. Congress will have to eliminate the "Chicken Tax" implemented in 1963 to protect the Big 3.

2. They will have to build small trucks in the USA.

Ford trying to stop 'Chicken Tax' Sep 4, 2008 10:09 AM Ford Motor Co. is trying to shield its Ford Transit Connect commercial van from "the chicken tax," a 25% tariff that applies to assembled trucks imported

In this political climate I would not count on Congress doing anything to hurt the domestic auto industry. So it is unlikely we will get a small PU of any kind gas or diesel.
  • twsarchtwsarch Member Posts: 3
    I always wished my 96 4x4 Tacoma was a diesel. I hope if they ever bring diesel to the states they have a manual tranny version.

When visiting my father-in-law in Ireland, I happened to talk to a retired Russian guy down the street that had a mid 90’s 4x4 Hilux diesel with almost 600K miles on it (they just switched to kilometers a few years ago in Ireland, his pre-dated this). He would take it via ferry to England then mainland Europe and drive to visit family halfway into Russia a few times a year. Says he uses the mud highway on part of the trip.
  • twsarchtwsarch Member Posts: 3
    Where on the Toyota site to email?
    With all the new standards the Obama administration is creating for the auto industry, Toyota will be forced to bring diesel engines to the U.S. within the next 4 years. It's about time.
  • state2insscamstate2insscam Member Posts: 4
    dont count on it. toyota and all the other asian car makers are not for diesel. Count on Germany to keep making diesel cars. Asian car makers are for hybrid. Untill VW or MB comes out with a hybrid diesel that gets 75 mpg and blows the competition then maybe will the Asians bring diesel engines to the USA. Also GM, Ford, & Chrysler are against Diesel and so are the Oil companies... Chrysler droped the diesel out of the Ran pick up...
    Manhindra is a diesel truck being imported in spite of the chicken tax and Toyota is building a plant in Mississippi to do something with....right now everything is in a holding pattern until the economy picks up but it may not be long until we see a diesel Tacoma (Hilux)
    Yes, you are correct. However, trucks are one part of the car market that can't currently be turned into full electric vehicles. Trucks require lots of torque and towing ability. The electric motors haven't quite been able to compete with gas/diesel engines - yet. Toyota was going to put a diesel in the 2010 Tundra. Let's see if it happens this year. I don't hold my breath, because diesels cost $5,000 more to manufacture, and with this economy I don't see Toyota doing that with this economy. But on the positive side, diesel is very easy (and cheap) to manufactur. Oil companies love diesel's profit margin, so it is possible that we will see more diesel trucks being offered here in the U.S. Then there's the OBAMA FACTOR. Who knows what he's going to get behind. If he gets behind diesel production - then count on it happening. If not, all bets are off.
  • wicker63wicker63 Member Posts: 1
    You are right that diesels cost more but they already produce the one I need its in the Hilux. I would love to get the the Hilux but would settle for the Tacoma with a diesel.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Toyota, Ford, and GM were all working on diesel engines for their light-duty pickups. And all three have canceled those programs.

Don't hold your breath for a Toyota diesel. It certainly won't be here for 2010 or 2011.
  • bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    There's no need to contact your local Toyota dealer. If they could import the Hilux, they would have already done so. That's why you need to write Toyota. Go to this link and just follow the directions:

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/ask_intercept.php

It is my understanding Toyota is seriously contemplating bringing the Hilux to the U.S., but there may be some political issues preventing them from doing so. All we can do is let Toyota know how many of us are ready to purchase the diesel option when it becomes available. With truck sales plummeting (mainly due to high gas prices), Toyota is acutely aware of the need for a diesel engine in the U.S. truck market.

I ended up calling Toyota. They were very friendly and thanked me for my input.

Not sure if it will do anything, but it can't hurt and it took almost no effort to be proactive.
  • I don't particularly care for the boring looks of the Ridgeline... but more than that, I need something with a bed large enough for a motorcycle in the back... and a truck short enough to fit in an American garage. The Ridgeline is just a Pilot and the buyers got gypped out of the back piece of their roof.
  • Where on the Toyota site to email?

go to Toyota.com
    bottom of the page... "contact us"
    bottom of the next page... "email toyota"
  • Well Tacomas have been built at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA... but Toyota has announced plans to close that plant... so why not just start making the HiLux D4D at the Mississippi plant? :)

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2009/163_news090721_toyota_tacoma_nummi_- plant_may_close/index.html
  • toyota_hiacetoyota_hiace Member Posts: 1
    if you really want to see a tacoma or better known as HILUX you have to get on the move and sign the petition we have online for toyota u.s.a ,to request the hilux with a 3.0 4 cyl turbo diesel and 2.5 turbo diesel to be offered in the u.s here is the site www.petitiononline.com/TOYD4D/petition.html
  • bobglidebobglide Member Posts: 1
    Ok I signed. Now I'll wait another few years.
  • newboss302newboss302 Member Posts: 1
    Hello...i'm new to the forums, and first of all, i want to thank you all for all the amazing inside info on you'r vehicles, eventhough for most of you, the issues are very unfortunate. about 2 weeks ago i was really to go head on, into buying a toyota tacoma crew cab, with the long bed. but something told me to check for issues, and sure enough i found this forum. i read alot you guys have issues with your transmissions from 2006 to 2010, but is there any changes for the 2011, i have not read any issues on the year yet. I think we all have trusted Toyota in the passed specially me having witness my father owing an 87 4cyl 22R truck with more than 675K and in perfect conditions, same engine, same tranny...but i know thos toyota days are over. anyhow, if there's someone outthere that has 2011 tacoma and has issues, i would be greatfull if you can tell me.....once again, soRry to hear all your issues....lets hope for the best.....
This discussion has been closed.