Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Volkswagen Eos

mwppassatmwppassat Member Posts: 8
I'm looking at a 2008 Eos. What are the differences between it and the 2007. Is it worth buying the 2008, when I may get a better price on a 2007?

Comments

• bmw335xibmw335xi Member Posts: 11
    I don't think its thats much different. They may have fixes some of the seals or other leaking points. I would go ask the dealer but thats your choice. I'll try to see if there any differences and then get back to you.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    The configuration is different.
    No more sport package - no more paddle shifters and sport suspension.
    2008 Eos comes in Eos Turbo - base model, Eos Komfort and Eos Lux.
  • drsachinkundedrsachinkunde Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,
    This may be a simple question but I was little worried about my 2008 Eos. window function.
    When we remove the keys from ignition the windows slide down a bit and then we open door - this doesnt damage the seal. My question was, if only the passenger wants to get down, how can he open the door without shutting down the car and damaging the seal? Each time my wife gets down, she just pushes the passenger door open which I think damages the seal !!!
    Any comments ?
  • mishmishmishmish Member Posts: 1
    When the door handle is used, inside or out, the window automatically comes down a little. This feature is great because it keeps a tight seal on the cabin of the vehicle when the roof is closed. I drove a Cabrio for years and it did the same thing. Sometimes it scares the crud out of me when they go back up when sitting in the car too long after pulling the key though!! :surprise:
  • schnitzel1schnitzel1 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know if u really have to use premium gas? Only have 24 month lease and wanted to get by on regular on 2008 Komfort with DSG. Does it really affect performance that much? And has anyone figured out how to make MP3 player play thru stereo? Bought a jack, hooked it up, looked at manual, stumped.
    Finally, when driving without heat or ac on, I feel a slight amount of heat coming from footwell/ center console area. Is this normal on VWs with this engine- 2.0T?
  • cb391cb391 Member Posts: 24
    Premium is highly recommended but depending where you live you may be able to use less. Again performance may be less using reular or mid grade depending on how or where you drive. As for mp3 i'm not sure but I believe you push the cd button twice. But don't expect much of an interface with the radio. It's better off using the display and controls on the player. And the heat you refer to is normal as I also get that in mine.
  • schnitzel1schnitzel1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks cb for the info. Is there really that much of a difference in gas in different parts of the country? I live in Southwest Florida- what do u think- can i use regular down here?
    I wonder why VW allows that much heat to enter the cabin- must be nippy in Frankfurt.
  • arthuresarthures Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems entering the EOS if it has ice on the windows from a storm? I am thinking about buying a 2008 model.
    We get gas here for cold temps and then another when it warms up. I stick with premium because VW wants it that way. I have read of people using regular and claiming not to see a difference and some who have. That is something you will have to consider for your own situation. You can experiment on your own. I just filled up my Eos the other day with premium and paid $3.33 a gallon. As for the heat, I don't even think about it. When the top is up, I set the climate control to 72. When the top is down, I do the same only if it is warm out and I'm sitting in traffic.
    I haven't personnally. I have read of others who have.But that shouldn't keep you from buying one as there are other convertibles that do that. If the weather is that bad, my Eos stays in the garage and I drive the SUV.
  • arthuresarthures Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, If I can make a spot in my garage. I will buy one. I have a SUV also.
  • cagravescagraves Member Posts: 1
    My blade seems to be leaving a streak on the drivers side and I can't figure out why. I've had it replaced once and it's still doing the same thing in the same spot. Any ideas or suggestions for ridding me of this little annoyance? Thanks.
  • mwppassatmwppassat Member Posts: 8
    That is so strange, I have the same problem. I haven't change blades yet, thought I do it in the spring. So putting new blades on didn't help at all or did it help for a period of time, then the streak came back? If that's the case, there must be something that is causing a nick in the blade.
  • aw57aw57 Member Posts: 12
    I am interested in a 2008 Komfort and would like to get the upgraded sound system. When I price the car on edmunds, the Dynaudio system is listed as an available option for a Komfort. The dealer I went to also told me that I can get a Dynaudio system on a Komfort. However, neither the brochure for the Eos nor the VW website shows the Dynaudio system as being an available option for a Komfort. They show the Dynaudio system available for the Lux and the VR6 only. Who is correct?
    I am choosing between a black and a beige interior for a Komfort model. Does anyone have any experience with how hot the seats get in black V-tex material in the summer?
  • vwgrrrlvwgrrrl Member Posts: 19
    2008 EOS 6-speed manual: Anyone driven one?

I test drove both the auto and manual '08 EOS recently.

The auto seemed fine with smooth shifting. Of course, there's the turbo lag at first but once that turbo kicks in, you're hauling a**.

I didn't care for the Tiptronic though. As a manual driver all my life, I could never understand the concept of a shifter without a clutch. Pushing the gear shifter up to go into 2nd, and up again to go into 3rd and so on feels odd to me. I didn't like the way the engine performed either while in Tippy mode.

Amazingly enough, the 6-speed Manual was a big disappointment too. The shifting was so stiff and not an enjoyable experience compared to my '04 Passat. My Passat shifts like butter. I never expected a car costing this much more money to have such a terrible manual gearbox. The other thing I can't get used to is this 6th gear (my Passat has 5). I will probably never use the 6th gear unless I'm on the Autobahn! And the position of the reverse gear is ridiculous. It's right next to 1st gear. To get to it, you have to push the gearbox down from overhead and then shift left and up. What a nuisance. Wouldn't it make more sense to shift reverse gear by pulling toward you... in other words, in the direction you are going? Plus, I'm so afraid I'm going to go into 1st instead. Gosh, what will happen when they have 7 gears?!!

This whole experience has me thinking I should get the auto instead? How boring though. Just wondering what anyone else's experience has been with the 6-speed manual.
  • skushnerskushner Member Posts: 1
    The smoothest automobile for the price. I bought my new eos a few weeks ago and find no turbo lag, and very smooth shifting. Reverse is where it is, and wishing certainly will not change anything. Enjoy your eos. I totally enjoy the 6 speed, but have not used the 6th gear yet.
  • dmargo2dmargo2 Member Posts: 17
    I am almost ready to lease a 2008 Lux. Before I pull the trigger, any final words of advice and can you tell me what type of mileage people are getting..I drive about 70% highway..30% city in Wisconsin. Thanks for your replies. Dave
    Dave,

I have a 2007 Eos, which I just love! I drive about about 90 miles a day for my commute with about 80% highway and 20% city. The combined mileage I'm getting is about 32 mpg.

I just got back from a trip that was over 9 hours of driving, which I was getting 36.7 mpg 100 % highway driving.

I highly recommend the car!

Mark
  • drwittedrwitte Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting 25.2 around town and 31 highway (top down) in my 2008 Eos Lux. I LOVE IT!
  • nmacknmack Member Posts: 5
    we STILL have lots of problems with hesitation when you push down on the accelerator, and then suddenly a second or two later it jumps forward or spins the wheels. This seems DANGEROUS to my wife and I both. Anyone else notice this?
    I had this problem at first, but once I got used to it, I was able to control it on how I pushed down on the accelerator.
  • paul34bpaul34b Member Posts: 33
    I am leasing a 2008 EOS since February of 2008. During the first few months I was hearing some annoying rattling from the rear driver-side of the car. Typically this happens whenever driving over bumps. Living in Maine the potholes can be surprisingly unavoidable. I brought my car in 3 times for a "look over". The noise only happens on the left side. On my first visit I was told there was a shim that needed to be removed and I was good to go. That didn't fix it. I still do not know what that was about.

On my other 2 visits I was told there is nothing wrong with the car. This is how it is made and noises like this is normal for a convertible. If this is true why do I not hear thunking noises from the right rear side of the car. I love this car but over bumps it sounds as if I lost my load of 2x4s. And I am not carrying any. It actually sounds like wood banging together in the trunk. On the highway it is quiet and smooth but go over a slight bump and there goes the noise.

Has anyone else experienced bad rattling? I am glad I am leasing because I do not want to buy this specimen.
    I'd press the dealership about getting this issue resolved. I have 35k on my 2007 Eos and it doesn't make noises like you're describing and I deal with not so great roads also.
    I had the same problem, but coming from the C pillar on the passenger's side. At first my dealer told me that it needed shim plates. But when they put those in, they called me to say that it didn't take care of the problem. Eventually, a VW factory tech guy came to the dealer and worked out a solution. They installed a segment top bracket bolt and replaced the bots and nuts for the headliner. I don't hear the noise anymore. If your dealer has any questions, they should call Dominic at Douglas Motors in Summit, NJ (my service representative) and he should be able to fill him in on the details.
    Wow! thanks so much for this info. I will personally call this person you recommend.
    I forgot a letter. It was the B segment top bracket bolt that they installed.
  • 6y7u8i9o6y7u8i9o Member Posts: 5
    yes its in the trunk ,one of the philips head screws that holds the storage cage loosens up has to be tighten with a right angle screw driver. :shades: great car
    Is this something a non-mechanic can tackle like myself? I brought my car to my dealership and I was told there was no documentation by VW regarding this problem and there was nothing they could do. Needless to say I was discouraged. Still am. I know when my lease is over I do not plan on purchasing the vehicle. I do love it but there are too many quirky things I do not enjoy. Thanks for responding by the way.
  • 6y7u8i9o6y7u8i9o Member Posts: 5
    yes open and close gage ck the sides you will feel the screws left and right see if you can move them with your fingers . that how i found my rattle no other :shades: :shades: problems with eos at all
  • gpm2001gpm2001 Member Posts: 2
    Transmissions are now as sophiscated as engines with regard to electronic control. A new tecnology referred to as Neutral Idle has been installed on GM products and likely many others. It completely disengages the transmission when vehicle speed is zero and foot brake is applied. Tuning of this technology may have to go through the paces of consumer use and reports of difficulty. My 09 EOS took some getting used to when leaving stop lights, parking spaces etc. On release of brake pedal a distinct "engaging" of either reverse or forward gears can be felt. I will be taking mine in for first service soon and will inquire about software upgrades etc. A simple time delay adjustment to a line of code may increase drivability.
    I decided to remove the cage from the trunk altogether thinking the noise was from this. It isn't the cage as I still hear it. The noise seems to come deep from the left rear suspension. Somewhere down in the suspension I think is where the problem is but who am I. Not a mechanic just a consumer who hears this shouldn't be.
  • loffkatloffkat Member Posts: 1
    I need help putting a navigation system into my 2008 EOS. I bought it without because it ws a great deal but i would really like to put the stock navi in. i am open to an aftermarket as well. I don't know what model the stock one is. Could someone please point me in the right direction to get this done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Best navi you can get is the RNS-510 baby. It's expensive though and yes it's OEM. I have seen it for under $2,000. Has a 30 GB HDD, 6.5" WVGA display, bluetooth, Sirius SAT radio, and full iPod/USB integration. The RNS-510 is a touchscreen unit which makes it much better than the push button MFD2 with it's terrible non WVGA display. It can play DVD's in park but there is a Video in Motion adapter that enables that sort of thing. Don't drive and watch a movie unless you have a passenger that wants to watch it. The former one is MFD2 and the RNS-510 is the new one they introduced for 2009. The Maps on the RNS-510 are stored on the HDD and you get 18.62 GB for storing mp3s.

It supports Dynaudio but that requires VCDS to program that. Full iPod/USB requires the MDI though it does work with current one but it's not as good. The MDI requires special cables but it's got full integration. You can get the cables at your dealer. You can get a retrofit kit that goes in the glovebox and it's really nice.

If you email me which is in my profile, I can get you to some good RNS-510 sites. Mark_d_drake retrofitted his EOS on the "vortex" forums and he shows you how to do it.

Hope this helps.
  • canadianeoscanadianeos Member Posts: 5
    I thought I was going crazy as it seemed to happen every once in awhile. Lately the "surging" has happened daily. It was very apparent in rush hour traffic! I took it in to the dealer and at first they said my turbo was sticking. The "fixed" it and a day later it started all over. Not as bad at first..but I called them the next day and said it still wasn't right. Well..13 months after purchase, 48,000 km, my new transmission was ordered today. I am sure this is a problem for lots of people..I read a lot of reports on it now. My dealer said they haven't heard much..funny when the parts are on back order though!
    Hopefully this will make it better. It used to be so smooth from 1st to 2nd gear..now I give my passengers whiplash!!
    I have had my EOS 2.0t for 13 months. Loved it at first...still really like it. I had a leaky passenger side everytime I went into a car wash. I took it into dealer and they fixed it. No further problems on that. For the past few months I have had a lot of surging. I really thought it was me..pushing too hard on the accelerator..but once a co worker complained in my car that he was getting whiplash, I realized it was time to get it checked out. My engine light came on a couple weeks ago (just before my 48K service) saying my engine was low on oil. I took it into the dealer and they said the synthetic oil burns faster. I had 2 diesel Jettas before this car and never had an issue driving 16K between oil changes. They told me to top it up or ask for an extra litre of oil at services...strange! Now I see a bunch of people complaining about the oil so that worries me a bit.
    Today- my new transmission was ordered...surging didn't stop and they said I need a new tranny. 48K...crazy! I hope this is the last of my problems. Dealer has been amazing though..no complaints there.
    Ours never was "fixed" They tried four times, and it kept happening. Finally they blamed "driver error". What a bunch of crap. I have been driving for 37 years, autos, trucks, semi's automatics, manuals, motorcycles, big cars, little cares, fords, chevys, hondas, cadillacs, etc. I think i know when a car surges and when it doesn't.
    What year is your EOS? I have a 4 year lease and I will definitely not put up with a jumpy car at $800 a month! I would go to a different dealer. Mine has been great- they drove the car themselves and agreed that it was way too jumpy. It is a hazard..especially sitting at a red light with someone in front of you. You have to be careful you don't surge ahead and hit anyone. The car was not like that when I first purchased, it was very smooth. I hope you get yours fixed.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Okay, another quick question though... If a car has to get a re-built transmission is that cause or reason to get out of the car. As, I see it as your value will FOREVER be tainted. That is not your fault. Why would we have to live with that for the life of the car. I almost see that a car is never truly the same once its been messed with. Replacing a transmission is a big deal! As an owner, does that justify getting out the car. VW has not held its end up of the contract.

I personally would not hold on to a car that has had a re-built transmission. If I go to sell the car, it is marked for life. What options do we have as a consumer when this happens? Its not our fault, I know they are paying for the re-do, but is it ever the same, and what if it goes ka-boom, right after your warranty? See, reasons can go on and on.
    Mine was a 2008. we had to get rid of it. It wasn't safe.
    However they reported us and ruined our credit. They kept claiming they fixed it, then after four attempts to fix it, they claimed nothing was wrong
    Sorry..should clarify. Mine is leased. I agree it is "tainted" and I really hope from what I have read the 2009 transmission doesn't have the same problems (and that is what they are giving me). I have been with VW for 12 years (various cars) and have always had a good experience with my dealer. Had a big issue with a 2002 Jetta TDI and they had to do a huge overhaul. I never had any issues with it after that, and since it was leased..I didn't have to worry about it after 3 years.
  • bbegleybbegley Member Posts: 1
    I was told it was a good idea to get a battery maintainer for my Eos. I wanted to purchase one that works in the cigarette lighter but there isn't a lighter in the car. Just wondering if I can plug one in to the 12 volt outlet and will it work with the car off. My Eos is at our summer place and I want to keep the battery charged while we aren't there.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Wow! Well we have had good experiences with our newer VW's too. However, with my leased 08 GM car, I am wanting to get out because of the transmission acting funny. Based on a little research, it seems like the characteristics are there with a few of their cars. I plan to get out!! Soon as I can. My dealer has had my car since Wednesday morning and I have not given me a call yet on what is happening. I am choosing not to call them, as I do not want to rush them. I want them to keep the car as long as they want. But, I am a little nervous, as I do not want a call saying, hey nothing was really wrong, but we did such and such.

I do know I want out. Now! I am done. We all pay too much for our cars to be unhappy. Luckily I have a cheaper lease on a higher trimmed out model. I have that going for me. I want a VW or a Honda.
  • jbsjunk1jbsjunk1 Member Posts: 1
    What do I need to hook up an iPOD on a 2008 EOS with CD player and Navi? Does video out got to the Navi screen?
  • ideasfromlisaideasfromlisa Member Posts: 1
    I know there hasn't been a post on this in a loooong time, but I had the same problem with my '08 Eos and I finally received a letter from VW saying that the transmission had a problem and they were making a part to fix it. It was finally installed earlier this year (2010) and now I don't having the gear jumping problem at all.

Side note:
    Windows going up and down when you open the doors don't always work (as they don't always go back up and I have to do it manually.)

Convertible top can get squeaky and they say it needs to be adjusted (not oiled like one dealership told me.)
  • solalindesolalinde Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how to replace the lining on the sunroof cover?
  • imakittenimakitten Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2010 EOS and am having the jumpy or jutting (as I call it) acceleration and it is at VW as we speak. My advisor just called to say it was normal and they detected no problems. I know it isn't normal and wonder if I can make any suggestions to them as to what it could be??

Thanks for your help!!