Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Warning Lights and Gauges

joalamjoalam Member Posts: 1
Guys:
ABS light is ON, for a while it came and went, now it seems on all the time.

I read on this forum about a way to check for diag codes. Can someone relist the procedure, and what I am looking for. Where exactly do I find connecters #4 and #12 to jumper them.

Also, how are the diag codes read? is it a matter of counting the blinks?

I have seen something in my center console before, behind the break handle, had no idea what it was, now i know that this is probably the G sensor. Thanks to this forum.

Finally, how to reset codes for a 98.

Fluid level OK, car breaks OK. Auto Tranny, TOD. 160k miles.

Thanks.
John

Comments

• panaceaquixpanaceaquix Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Isuzu Trooper with 215k miles on it. 2.6 liter 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. A beater, but up to now reasonably reliable.

For several months the "Check Engine" light has been coming on intermittently. The car briefly runs kind of doggy & won't accelerate, then light goes out and things go back to normal.

The other night I was driving home & a bunch of idiot lights came on all at once: low fuel warning (tank is full), O2 sensor, alternator & brake warning lights, & check engine. I made it home but when I try to start car, it starts, runs for about ten seconds with all of aformentioned lights glowing, then check engine light goes out and it dies.

I did a computer code check and got reading of 44,mixture lean, check O2 sensor. I replaced O2 sensor and fuel pressure regulator (new) and ignition module and computer (used). Fuel pump pumps fuel into a can when I take hose off. Still the same symptom: start, run 10 seconds, die.

Staring at wiring diagram I see the glowing idiot lights all run off the same fuse, which I have replaced. It seems to me there must be some electrical short that is affecting all these lights and possibly also some sensor or the computer. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    It has been said before, but bears repeating. A multitude of idiot lights in an Isuzu can indicate a failing alternator or other electrical problem. Often, a fault code will register due to the electrical failure of another sensor or switch due to the voltage fluctuations. Might want to get the alternator checked out?? One guys opinion.
  • crmissionarycrmissionary Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are missionaries working in Costa Rica (CR). We were so happy to finally be able to by a Trooper with adequate size and 4x4 to help with our work. When we purchased the Trooper a month ago, the O2 light was on and the seller, who imported the car from FL, indicated he didn't know what it was/meant... but it had not caused it to fail CR vehicle inspection... therefore it must not be too troublesome.

As the car did not come with owners manual and we have been unsuccessful in finding either the owners or repair manuals online for our referral... I was so happy to discover this website and all y'alls "wealth of knowledge"! Can anyone explain the O2 light, its importance, and its risks if not fixed? Does anyone know where I can locate a FREE, or next to free, owners manual or repair manual... preferably online as it is too hard to ship to CR. Thank you in advance for your help with keeping these Missionaries "on the road"! Robyn
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the links in the Online Repair Manuals guide and Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online. Most of the free repair links are US centric, but maybe one or two will help out.
    Briefly, the Trooper is pre programmed to remind you to change the O2 sensors after certain mileage. To reset, follow the links Steve posted, but briefly you have to remove the instrument cluster (remove dash bezel first)and looking on the back of it find the small phillips screw and move it the the other position marked with either an A or B if my memory serves me. Then simply reinstall it. Leaving the light on will not cause any other problems, unless the O2 sensor is indeed in need of repair (replacement, really), in which case the emissions will be out of spec and may cause a variety of conditions like engine stumbling, idle speed and gas consumption to name a few. Good luck....one owners opinion.
  • strobus1strobus1 Member Posts: 2
    I've a 1997 trooper. Shifted from 4L to 4H (in neutral), then into 2 wheel drive but the dashboard four-wheel light stayed on. It's in 2WD cause I can spin the rear wheels. I shift back to 4WD and it works cause I can't spin the rear wheels with the same torque supplied. The front drive axle turns whether in 4 or 2WD, should it? Could it just be a bad 4WD dash light sender?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yes the front axles will always turn, regardless of if the Shift on the Fly is engaged or not. It sounds like the light sensor is bad.

-mike
  • mikehaymikehay Member Posts: 1
    my abs light comes on in my murcury mountaineer every now and then I notice when my battery water was low because of a leaky cell so I got a new battery and it came on about a week later I'm just wandering what else could be the problem
  • 94silvrtrooper94silvrtrooper Member Posts: 1
    My '94 Isuzu Trooper S (3.2 lt, V6 SOHC) has 105K miles on it. It is the perfect SUV. Battery was flat, I jump started and drove. Everything was perfect for the first 80 miles. Then instrument panel problems emerged. All Gauges stopped working intermittently for 1 or 2 seconds at a time and kept coming back to normal. I kept driving the next day. Instrument panel Gauges completely stopped working. Both signal arrows on the panel are lighted up (but dimmed light up). But External signal lights are working perfectly.
    I kept driving. Then engine started stalling on slow speeds and at traffic light stops. I kept jump starting and driving, starts OK. Hardly returned back to home. I put a new battery, but the problem persists.
    - Did I burn the computer chip?
    - Did I blow a fuse? How can I diagnose? What is wrong, how can I fix it? Check engine light NEVER come up.
    Thanks
    It should be the alternator. :)

-mike
    I agree with Paisan, the alternator died, quit charging the battery, and battery drained. Sounds like classic alt failure. My 94 did the same thing. No CEL but other warnings sure did....just the wrong ones. One idiosyncrasy of the electrical system when alt blows is the heater blower motor will NOT come on for any reason, even when engine runs. I had this condition too, and read other posts where this is a symptom.
    Hope this helps.
  • jfrozenh2ojfrozenh2o Member Posts: 18
    I have a 94 trooper with 167,000 miles. it runs great and is super reliable. I bought it last year from a one time owner, and it came with a tow package and wiring harness. the trooper doesnt have a tow switch like newer suv's, and i read the manual and it didnt say much about hauling trailers, but whenever i hook up my small enclosed trailer to my trooper and accelerate, the check engine light comes on. then when i come to a stop it turns off. My trailer meets the weight standards for pulling it by quite a bit. Not sure if i should switch my automatic into a lower gear, or any other ideas. the engine also seems to run a little harder. what risks do i take by continuing this. is there anything i can do to stop prevent this?
  • 95isuzulmtd95isuzulmtd Member Posts: 3
    hi i have a 95 trooper limited and while im driving it the power from the battery will surge and all my lights will start flashing what is this problem?
    Ok, lets take this a step at a time. Do you mean the warning lights on the dash or your driving lights and dash lights. Does this happen only at night when the driving lights are on, or anytime.
    Have you cleaned the battery posts lately? Had any work done on the vehicle where something may have been disturbed?
    How do you mean {"surge"?? Are you seeing this on the battery gauge or do you mean that the power comes and goes?
    Does your blower motor quit when this happens, if you don't know, try to determine as that is a symptom of electrical problems that can lead to diagnosis.
    this problem doesnt only happen at night it happens during the day also no i havnt cleaned my posts lately but i definatley will now.
    oh and when i say surge i mean the battery gauge goes all the way to the max, the transmission will gear down,the transmission light will come on and some more lights on the dash will come on but then it will go away after a while.
    and when you say blower motor what do you mean?
    A common indicator of a bad alternator is that the dash lights go crazy and more than one light up, and the HVAC blower fan will not operate if the alternator is not putting out power. Just one of those idiosyncracies Isuzu owners live with. Alternators can be notorious for the problems they can cause when bad, and in an Isuzu, since the trans is electronic, it will also cause it to act up.
    Bad alt if you don't find an obvious bad terminal or cable. Not cheap but easy fix .
    thank you very much for the help and i will let you know how this goes
  • jp056399jp056399 Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Trooper has a light that flashes on and off on the dash that indicates the letters U and S. Does anyone know what that means?
    Up
    Shift
    ?
  • compscottcompscott Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 94 Trooper with 148K miles on it. It is in pretty good shape and with a little bit of TLC and some of the suggestions that I have already read here I think it can be in great shape without a whole lot of effort.

There is one thing however that is bugging me to no end. The upshift light that comes on the dash when you are driving... I will admit that I don't pay it much attention as I am working my way up through the gears, but the what bugs me is once get to 5th.
    Once I am in 5th gear and at my cruising speed, the light stays on constantly. It's like the car thinks that I have a 6th gear or something like that.

Obviously this does not effect the drivability of the vehicle, but I find myself driving down the road, glancing at the light and getting stressed out about the whole situation.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this and have an idea of where I would start to get it fixed?

I am definately not a mechanic, but if its not too terribly hard to fix I can usually at least get it done.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------
    Compscott
  • belize_trooperbelize_trooper Member Posts: 1
    I see someone posted the same problem I have with this light. I reach cruising speed in 5th and the light comes on. I had no idea what is was for because I never got an owners manual with the used vehicle here in Belize.

At least now I know what it means! :)
    Hi, I don't have a manual trans, but it seems to me this problem has surfaced before. As I understand it there are two switches on the trans that work in conjunction to illuminate the upshift lights, one of them for two gears, the other for the other two, and both either on or off (again, don't remember) for 5th gear. Try a search here or on another Isuzu forum if you don't find it here. Good luck.
  • provostprovost Member Posts: 3
    The 4 wheel drive wont engage and the check light keeps flashing? what causes this?
    What year is your Trooper? Do you have TOD?
  • provostprovost Member Posts: 3
    iTs a 2000 trooper,, and it does have TOD.
    Well, I am no expert on the TOD system, but I know it only works in 4High Drive. In 4low the 4WD system locks the Tcase 50/50 front and rear. Try putting it in 4 LO and see if it goes into 4LO and actually is working, and whether the flashing stops and light indicates 4WD. This will help isolate where the problem may lie. If the light stays on and indicates 4WD is engaged, then I would look at the TOD system for the problem, or front axle actuator, if it has one. If it does not go into 4LO, then suspect Tcase problem.....not too likely though, I think. I don't know if TOD has the shift on the fly front axle, but if it does, then if the actuator is not working it will cause flashing to indicate that failure. If your front axle has a vacuum actuator on it then it is SOTF. I know that is common problem on SOTF..IF vacuum hose gets knocked off or valve sticks, then no 4WD.. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    All the TOD equipped models have SOTF.

Check the 4-low and see if it engages. If it doesn't then it's likely the SOTF vaccum or the unit itself. I left mine in AWD mode for a whole winter and when I tried to put it in 2wd, it wouldn't work. Same error message. Turned out because I hadn't changed mode (2wd -> AWD/4wd) the lube dried up and the unit siezed.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • ajaxmotorsajaxmotors Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I have an '01 Trooper LS 4x4 my wife and I bought used in February. Today I took it to a local Car-X to get the muffler & shocks replaced. The fella at Car-X told me someone had replaced the stock muffler with a cheap round canister type muffler. He said he had a "Walker" brand muffler that was the correct replacement. I told him to go for it. While working on it, he came out and mentioned that the previous owner had also cut out a resonator that went in the exhaust pipe ahead of the muffler. The new muffler came with one, and he guaranteed it would be quieter. So I started my Trooper up, and yes, it was much quieter outside. On the drive home, however, I noticed as I idled down approaching a stop, and accelerated leaving, there was more noise inside, and I could feel more vibration in the floor. I also noticed my "Check" light for the transmission flashing continuously. If I let off the gas and coasted, or shifted to neutral at a stop, it quit flashing. As soon as I took off, it would start flashing again. I went home, ate lunch, and then drove back to Car-X, with Trooper showing same symptoms. They put it back up on the rack, said they couldn't see any problems, and tried scanning for fault codes, and couldn't find any [said I had to go to my Isuzu dealer]. I took it to AutoZone, and they couldn't find any fault codes either. My wife took the Trooper out tonight, complained about the interior noise, and said she didn't think it had as much power when accelerating off the ramp to get on the interstate.

There are no leaks in the transmission or transfer case. ATF in transfer case still looks a healthy, clean red color. Anyone run across a situation like this or have any suggestions???
  • pooper1pooper1 Member Posts: 1
    My TOD is "working", that is, it does come out of AWD - but the dash lights never recognize it, and eventually the error light flashes. It had the engine completely rebuilt, and sat idle for about 3 months waiting for that, but it was in 2WD when it went into the shop. Any ideas?
    Sounds like it could be the switch on the front axle not responding when the axle shifts out of engaged position. Try unplugging it and see if the indicator light goes off, although I am by no means an expert on the TOD system. I am going by the fact that all the front switch does is indicate the status of the axle and you say it is disengaging properly......HTH
  • costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    Just took my 02 trooper to the only dealer left in my area . Had then run the diag on the TOD system. Want to replace the wheel speed sensor and replace the Vac solenoid valve . $1342.00 in Delaware . I will pass on spending that since I have a 07 Mitishi Outlander 4 wd ., not a Trooper but great crossover .
  • predragkosticpredragkostic Member Posts: 1
    hi everybody

since last month I bought this isuzu and I have some problem ,when I drive slow in control panel flash CHECK ENGINE and when I push power pedal its turn off .Can you explain whats going on ? thanks Pedja
  • speed328speed328 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2001 trooper and lately I have had the red CHECK light flashing on the TOD panel without using the 4wd. it starts flashing about a minute after the car is running again without the 4wd selected.
    any ideas?
  • btrottiebtrottie Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 1999 Trooper. I had the Flashing Check light on the TOD panel AND the Check Engine light was on steady...Want to know what the fix was??? No $1000 speed sensor job...the wiring that runs along the drive shaft was corroded and exposed....I had some new wiring put in and TADA! no more flashing TOD check light and no Check Engine light!

/Blair :shades:
  • firemanbutchfiremanbutch Member Posts: 17
    My light is the green light that flashes when the TOD is activated. I'll check the wiring and let you know. The check engine light is not on. Thanks Butch
  • rrrobsonrrrobson Member Posts: 1
    Pretty much same problem here on my 1999 Trooper. Had transmission rebuilt by local rebuilder. When I drove it out of the shop, I noticed (for the first time in 9 yrs) the check light went on and the two rear tire icons were blinking after a few blocks. This was in 2WD. I clicked it into 4WD and all four tires lit up, but the blinking stopped amd - AFAIK - the check light did not turn on. Didn't stay in 4WD too long, reverted back to 2WD and the check light and blinking rear tires came on.

Given that this has never happened before the transmission rebuild and then it happens immediately after I picked the car up from the rebuilder, I want to believe they must have mucked up some sensors, tubes, or wires. I am no mechanic and my knowledge of cars is limited to knowing that they somehow internally combust expensive fuel.

The transmission rebuilder has no idea what's happening and asked me to bring the car in on Tuesday 9/9/08

Comments? Suggestions? What should I tell the transmission guy? Oh, yes, am I likely to hurt the trooper by driving it while that check light is flashing?
  • firemanbutchfiremanbutch Member Posts: 17
    My problem ended up being 2 vacum sensors for the 4 wheel drive. They are on the front axle. I've had a slip a couple of times lately with the transmission. Is there any way to check the fluid on these sealed ubits? Thanks Butch and good luck on your problem.
  • brentb1brentb1 Member Posts: 18
    my tod cluster flashes the red check ligt and the rear wheels constantly flash.the four wheel high/awd doenst work.the solenoids read the correct ohms and have voltage.ive taken the actuator apart also and changed the front diff.fluid.where do i go from here?the 4 wheel low has always worked until last month and now wont work either.i went to change the transfer case fuil and it only had about a 1/2 quart in it.didnt see any metal in it.would this mean the transfer case itself?i thought when shifting into low range the trans.case was the only thing that locked the front?or can it be something else.any help would be great as i just bougt this used a couple of months ago just to have a 4wd vehicle and winter is coming.thanks for the help.
    my trooper has now 4wd.the high never worked but the low always did until today.can i apply vacuum to the front axle actuator and put it in 4 low to isolate the actuator?any help would be great i just bought used just to have 4 wd.what else can i do or check?thanks.im new to the site also.i would like to get the 4 high working also.my tod flashes the red check and rear wheels flash green at times.
  • wesbellmorewesbellmore Member Posts: 11
    http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq68

Check the above link for into how to locate the VSV on your front axle. (Vacuum Switch Valves.) I fixed mine FREE as follows:

First, remove both VSVs from the axle. They are both mounted on a little rectangular plate, and both will come off by undoing two 10mm nuts. One VSV is BLUE, the other is GREY. Label and unplug all the vacuum hoses (carefully!) and then disconnect the electrical lead from each VSV. The electrical connector plug is a bit tricky to disconnect...you have to pry up a thin, springy brass colored retaining wire on each side of the connector, then GENTLY pry the connector off with a twisting motion of a straight-blade screwdriver. EASY DOES IT because that thing is fragile..if you crack the connector, you're 99 per cent hooped.

Once you have the VSVs off, use little jumper wires with alligator clips on them to connect to the electrical spades inside the plastic housing of the VSV. Hook the other end to the car battery and listen for a VERY QUIET "click" from the solenoid inside the VSV. This solenoid controls the vacuum flow to the vacuum actuator, which moves a toothed sleeve back and forth across splines on the ends of the axles, which is what drives the front axles when you press the dash SOFT switch.

The whole purpose here is to get the VSVs clean and operating properly. You might not have to replace them at all...just shoot some NON-GREASY electrical contact cleaner into all the outlets of the VSV and operate the solenoid a whole bunch of times...get it working freely again. (NOTE: DO NOT USE WD 40 or anything greasy / oily to spray inside the solenoid!!!!!!!! Make SURE you use a solvent based cleaner that DISAPPEARS completely when it evaporates. Spray some into your hand to make sure. Use electrical contact cleaner, specifically made to clean electrical parts. TRUST ME HERE...test your product on your hand to make sure it does not leave ANY residue.)

GOOD LUCK DOODS!!!!
    will try this saturday.thanks alot for the reply.a concern of mine is that the 4 low always worked since i had it(4 months)then all the sudden the 4 low wont work.any ideas on why or what may have went bad?what should i check for the 4 low?thanks for any info.i need to get it fixed asap.
  • alaskawilliamsalaskawilliams Member Posts: 2
    :cry: I have a 1989 Trooper, I was replacing the lights in the dash panel for the gauges and now the fuel, oil, temp gauges and RPM as well as the warning lights are not working.
    Is all those tied into the warning light relay?
  • alaskawilliamsalaskawilliams Member Posts: 2
    :D It was a fuse.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's good to hear - thanks for reporting back!
  • jbcol1jbcol1 Member Posts: 2
    Just recently on my 2002 Trooper the TOD display flashes the red CHECK light. In my problem, as soon as the engine starts the light starts flashing. Just the red CHECK light.
    My "Auto 4WD" does not seem to work. The 4WD low does work properly.
    I checked the vacuum solenoids and they seem to be functioning properly when I test them off the vehicle.
    Any ideas on where to go from here?

John
    same problem i got here.pull your tod codes yourself manually.this will lead you to whats wrong
  • jbcol1jbcol1 Member Posts: 2
    I finally got them, 13, 14, 24..... haven't gotten any further yet. What did you find?
  • trooperdivatrooperdiva Member Posts: 4
    I recently had the intake manifold values replaced on my 1999 Trooper 3.2 and now I have a problem with my display of the TOD the rear wheel display green flashes and the check light flashes red. My 4 wd drive will engage and 4L has no problems. Sometimes the transmission will slip. Help any answers?
  • trooperdivatrooperdiva Member Posts: 4
    It is a 1999 trooper with TOD System with 132,400 miles and i have had all the pcv, sparks plugs, intake casket value,value cover set. fuel links & in 2007 timing belt redone and head casket on the left side. Now the right side head casket redone and i smell no oil burning. In the display i have the front wheels and rear wheels in the display and the rear wheels keep flashing green on and off and they the light that reads check comes in red in the display area and flashes on and off. No problems putting the vehicle in 4 wheel drive. It is the 3.5 liter engine I got when had around 78,560 miles and I am the 2nd owner of the vehicle and has all the goodies like the moonroof and captain seats and etc.
  • rrukrruk Member Posts: 2
    the car is a trooper 1999 vreg 3.0ltr td

starts real nice, sounds like there is not anything wrong with the engine when its cold but when warm it makes a grateing noise comeing from with in the engine ..oil light only comes on at tick over and when warm ..im thinking oil pump or the balancer shaft is worn and this affects the oil pump when the engine is warm so im told ??? but sounds sweet again when cold ??

any thoughts ..thanks rob