Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Warning Lights and Gauges

2»

Comments

• trooperdivatrooperdiva Member Posts: 4
    I found the problem to my TOD system. The flashing display light in the TOD area was losing the signal to the traction system in the rear end that was assoicated with the sensors in the rear wheels. Remember to reset the computer once you have fixed the sensors problem by disconnecting the battery to have the computer reset itself. I hope this helps anyone else out there.
  • 1462calvin1462calvin Member Posts: 4
    i have a1999 trooper 3.5 can anyone tell me whats goin on my brake and battery warning light flickers on and off what do i need to do.
  • farmgoodefarmgoode Member Posts: 7
    check the fuild in the brake resivor./ bat lit could be bat. or the alt..
  • rfleminrflemin Member Posts: 5
    A while back I changed the front brake pads on my '98 Trooper. Following the advice on the 'net, I compressed the piston with a pair of Channelock pliers. Worked great, much easier than dragging out the big C-clamp. It did make the brake fluid reservoir overflow and the ABS light came on in the dash. Later I read that I should have opened the bleeder valves before compressing the piston. I tried bleed the brakes later, but the ABS light stays on. This happened once before, when I did some hard braking, and then eventually went away. I figure I have too much pressure in the ABS controller, but I can't see any way to bleed it. I had to have the back brake pads and calipers replaced in a shop and they could neither diagnose the ABS light problem or fix it. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks.
  • rfleminrflemin Member Posts: 5
    Check and see if you have a loose or corroded connection between the battery and the fuse box. I had a similar problem (only worse) and that is what it was. At the end, I couldn't even shift gears until I got the fuse box rewired.
  • lorinprlorinpr Member Posts: 1
    I am lost when it comes to electical, throw a rod out the side of the block and no prob but all those wires get confusing! I have a 99 trooper and at first the brake light and battery light were on for awhile, I did a brake job and took care of that light. My blower wasn't working either and I found that the lead from alternator to relay wasn't hot (problem tracked down thanks to this forum) and got power back, don't know if the terminals were just corroded or lose, or maybe its one of those problems that just fixed itself, but that was only after I put in a special order for a new alternator thinking that it was going out. Everything seems to be fine, charging well and can run accesories and lights with no problem. Now that everything is working my battery and brake dummy lights are always on but are very dim, you can only see them in the dark. But when I set the parking brake it partially lights up the battery dummy light also????? I have heard that I may have lost a ground and that somthing is backfeeding through but what would it be?
  • gen1troopgen1troop Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    Just put a fresh 2.6 engine in a '91 trooper. It runs great but O2 and Check Engine lights on. Tried resetting but they come back. All I can think of is I hooked something up wrong but no clue where that might be. As I said it runs great so don't think it's a vacuum line or anything like that. Anyone have some guidance for me? Thanks.
  • anjinsan5anjinsan5 Member Posts: 3
    I have a very similar problem on my 2002. How do you "pull the codes manually"? I rended an obd scanner but it says that there are no problems. Is there another place to plug in the scanner to get TOD problem codes?
  • rmac64rmac64 Member Posts: 3
    bad alt.
  • luvmynjtrooperluvmynjtrooper Member Posts: 1
    My trooper dash goes constant green when i put the vehicle in 4wheel drive however the front wheel do not engage. Anyone with knowledge or problem please advise asap. 20 inches of snow in NJ.....
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    If you have auto hubs, then assuming that one of you hubs is not engaging is a good place to start. Both hubs must engage in order for the front axles to engage. IF one does not lock, then that hub receives all the power since it is not a locking differential. Usually it is just the C clip on the axle that pops off.
    All this assumes that your transfer case is working and that it really is going into 4 WD. I think in 96 Isuzu went to shift on the fly, so yours is basically as described, stop, put it in 4WD, and drive. HTH One guys opinion.
  • achottie4u03achottie4u03 Member Posts: 2
    im not no expert but i have a trooper and i had to relace my HUB ACTUATOR and it fixed my problem for a breif period this may be your problem
  • achottie4u03achottie4u03 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2002 trooper and the TOD is not engaging i relaced the hub actuator and it fixed my problem briefly... but then agian stopped working now all i get is the four blinking lights agian.... what could cause this problem??? any help would be great
  • elstielsti Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Isuzu Trooper. Last snow storm my 4wd low and high were working fine. Then when I had it in TOD High the green lights started blinking and only the rear tires were lighting up. I then tried 4wd low and it would not work either. Today i removed and tested both VSV on the front axle and still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? I would at least like the 4WD low to work
  • brentb1brentb1 Member Posts: 18
    same problem here.my 4 high still doesnt work but did get 4 low to work by replacing the two vsv valves.they tested the correct ohms when testing but the one was stuck.its either them or the actuator on the axle.was to find out like i did is to find vacuum somewhere and connect it to the actuator.a vac.pump will work also just too see if the 4 low will lock.hope this helps,it did me.if i could just find out why my 4 high(tod)wont work.let me know what you find.does your check light flash?you can pull the codes manually yourself very easily.
  • maddawg1maddawg1 Member Posts: 5
    Well, its not a Trooper, its a Vehicross. Still its an Isuzu. The dealer tells me that to fix my flashing TOD light that I need to spend over $1000 to replace ALL the wheel sensors and wiring harness. Guess what I told them. Then they said one wheel sensor could be replaced at over $400, told them the same thing. Hmmmm, need to replace all 4 now I need only replace one, whats up with that? My transmission is unaffected either in TOD or 4WD. The symptom is that while turning a tight radius the front wheels feel as though they are elliptical rather than round. (Yes, I had the fluids all replaced so it is not low) The explanation is that the wheels are out of synch because a wheel sensor needs to be replaced. The chip/card reader came back with a code of 16, 24 and 27. Is there an outlet for the Isuzu wheel sensors thats cheaper than the dealer? Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I am not personally familiar with the Vehicross, but the Trooper TOD systme uses two sensors mounted in the transfer case, one measures prop revs at frt prop, other does the rear. when imbalance is sensed, the TOD kicks in to transfer torques to eliminate unlike RPMs. I know those sensors are about $400 retail each. Your vehicle may use the ABS sensors to count wheel RPM at each wheel. I cannot believe that they cost that much, ABS sensors are usually much cheaper due to the quantities used. I would check with other sources. You can email Jerry Lemond at [email protected] to ask about your problem and he sells new and used parts too, at good prices. I use him a lot, he is fast and accurate and is a retired Isuzu factory technician so he knows his stuff. Hope this helps! One guys opinion.
    Thanks Mike! I'll give Jerry a try. Maybe he can hook me up with some reasonable part prices.
  • coloradogalcoloradogal Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 95 trooper and yesterday had no probs putting it in and out of 4 H and 4 L. Today it will not move out of 4 L at all. Is there something I am not doing? The manual gives me no instruction at all.
    I don't have a Trooper, I have a Vehicross (practically the same car). I have to put my transmission in Nuetral before I can shift in or out of 4WD.
    I agree with the post regarding transmission mode. The transfer will not shift if there is stess on it,so it has to be in either neutral (preferred) or park. In park there is a chance that there is still pressure on drivetrain so neutral is preferred. You can try jogging the transfer a little by applying gas and removing gas to load and unload it, then neutral , shift to 2H and go. If it does not shift, then it may be a linkage problem but your model is pretty basic with manual shift lever, so post up and let us know how it works out. HTH one guys opinion.
  • jeepnstein1jeepnstein1 Member Posts: 4
    That's the ticket. If one cleans both VCV modules it will work again. It's not always necessary to remove them from the axle to do it. I cleaned mine on the truck using Sea Foam and then contact cleaner. I figured it was worth a shot before disassembly. I did mine between snow storms and it works just fine. Some times it's still a wee bit sluggish to engage but I still have the option to completely clean it off the truck when the weather breaks. It took me all of fifteen minutes to do.
  • buick48buick48 Member Posts: 4
    I'll take a stab at this...if you're still interested. The O2 light on my 92 came on at 90,000 miles. It's programmed to do that, regardless of the condition of the O2 sensor. So check your mileage. There is a procedure to permanently reset that light in the shop manual, involving the removal of the instrument pod, if you're up for it.
  • fergusbfergusb Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue, is there a proceedure fro removal of the pod ?
  • alk3_nbralk3_nbr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Isuzu trooper and my TOD check light is flashing, when I engage 4 wd only the front tires light up, this leads me to believe there is a disconnect to the rear somehow. Any ideas on what to check/replace/fix?
    Not clue, I'm still driving mine with a flashing light. I tried cleaning the connector to the sensor in the right side of the trans. Didn't help it though. The other option is to just go to the dealer and have him trace it with their card reader. Make sure you take several credit cards with you. The sensors are ridiculously expensive and only the manufacturer has them.
  • provostprovost Member Posts: 3
    The cleaning of the connector to the sensor in the right side of the transmission did the trick. I used some old spray-on radio/tv contact cleaner that I have had laying around for over 25 years, lol. It was kind of gucky and sticky. It didn't do anything. After a week or so I decided to dab the inside of the male and female halves of the connecter with cleaning solvent and Qtips. After making sure it was clean of all the guck I used compressed air to dry it. Problem solved. TOD light no longer flashing and TOD green lighted wheel indicators on dash behaving as should. I am now able to make tight turns without the front tire scrubbing the pavement.
  • islander21islander21 Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2000 Isuzu Trooper LS 2WD with 106K miles. It has been a tank thus far. Recently the steering became very sloppy, about 2 inches of movement left and right from center on the steering wheel before the tires moved. I adjusted the screw to no avail so I replaced the steering box with one from a junk yard off a lower-mileage 2002. The improvement was immediate but it left behind two problems:

1- The Airbag Light is permanently on
    2- The horn does not work.

Being that they both are in and around the steering column, which was disconnected from the steering box gear knuckle during the r/r, I assume this is not a coincidence. What did I miss? Is there a switch or a cable that has come loose somewhere? I disconnected the battery to see if it would reset but it did not.
  • nelsoj4nelsoj4 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just joined this forum. I have the exact same problem with my 2002 Trooper. Did you ever track down an answer?
  • ronaldkessronaldkess Member Posts: 1

Hi Everyone, Can someone post the icons or pictures of the Dashboard warnings and its meaning here? I am new here and I got an Isuxu Trooper 2002 model with engine number PABUR JX4 I think.
    Any help would really be appreciated

• toddswagnertoddswagner Member Posts: 33
    Check Engine light solution is to run a tank of 93 octane gas through the tank and this will turn the light off. I have done this 3 times to pass emission inspections. I tried a bunch of other things and this is the only thing that worked.
  • jaypizzthebizzjaypizzthebizz Member Posts: 16
    Yes a junk yard has an assortment of brand new parts you just gotta look for the ones that are wrecked and pull the best parts you find kinda like shopping only alot more work and alot Les money .