Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Tahoe complete electric/nav shutdown

treyjtreyj Member Posts: 2
I have a 07 tahoe LTZ that we bought in april of 06 and since that time I have had alot of problems with all of the things the nav system runs and all the gages on the console and even the door dinger shutting completely off. It started a couple of months after I bought it. It never happens while I am going down the road just when I start it up. It is like the whole electrical system in the front console is just off. Nothing works. If I turn the key off and turn it back on sometimes that will fix it, however on one of our hottest days last week (104)nothing worked including the air conditioner. Had to wait about 30 minutes for it to work and come back on. I have taken it back in to the dealership once when it actually happened, but for that one time they keep telling me that they can't get it to replicate and therefore don't know what is wrong with it and cannot find a solution. This last time they said that they had called the chevy corp. and that no one else has had any of these problems. So I think thats really what I want to know is if anyone else out there has had this particular problem or anything close to it and if you have found any solution to the problem. I would appreciate any feedback that you give me. Thanks.

Comments

• junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    I have had similar issues with my 2007 LTZ that I purchased in July 2006. No radio, Nav, Back up sensors, Traction control, stabil trac, etc. But only at start up. Short term fix is shut the truck off and open the driver door to reset the retained power, (that was your 30 min delay) then re-start. This always works for me. Long term fix, after replacing the complete Nav/radio, body control module, Misc sensors, ignition switch, several module software downloads/updates, and 9 days in the shop was to repair a faulty connector on the back of the radio. Apparently the Data Buss runs through the radio/Nav and activates several other modules on start up, if the signal can’t get through the Nav/radio, you get these types of failures. GM originally blamed it on the Nav Override that I installed, but after removing the override the issue continued. 3 months now with out an issue. Hope this helps, PS. You should post this on the 2007 Tahoe board. George
  • treyjtreyj Member Posts: 2
    George,
    Thanks for your help. Took this to the dealership with me after they had my Tahoe for ten days and they said it was helpful. I'll try and post on the other site but I am still trying to figure out how to do this correctly!! Anyway keep me updated if you have furhter problems.

thanks again
    Tammy
  • scatz76900scatz76900 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having problems with my '07 Suburban. Multiple times I have started my car and my radio is on but there is no sound, my blinkers have no sound, passenger side map light has been out and rear console air doesn't work from the rear and isn't lit up. Today was completely different. I turned my Suburban on and realized I had radio but no XM satellite. I pushed a preset button and it said that there was a satellite communication error. I figured well maybe XM is experiencing some problems. I then realized later that I had no blinker sound. I got home turned my car off and the radio would not shut off. I even got out closed my door and the radio was still on. I got back in and started the car again. I heard a loud pop and the whole radio went dead. Again no blinker sound and absolutely no radio. The dealership is just up the road from me so I drove it there and the service tech (who knew we have have had electrical issues) said it sounded like a fuse. He came out to check the fuses, started the car and the radio was back as well as XM so it obviously wasn't a fuse. They can't seem to find the problem and actually contacted GM and was told there was a bulletin which they had fixed the last time I was in. I guess that wasn't the problem. I have also always noticed that when the navigation cd is installed it constantly makes noises even when the car is not on. Any suggestions out there?
  • solosolo Member Posts: 48
    Hate to sound mean, but buy a honda! My 04 pilot's nav has worked like a dream. So has everything else. I check this Tahoe forum because I want to get back to American iron,but we still can't build reliable cars. It gets so frustrating.
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    Solo said: I check this Tahoe forum because I want to get back to American iron,but we still can't build reliable cars. It gets so frustrating.
    I can assure you that the Pilots have their problems too. Let's face it...nobody writes in to this forum because their vehicle is functioning properly. There are hundreds of thousands of Tahoes and Suburbans that run fine and are trouble free. I have one. Every manufacturer has their lemons. And those are the ones you hear about.
  • mag8mag8 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 07 Tahoe Z71, purchased new Feb. 20, 2007. In March the radio, DVD player, rear parking assist and all the audio in the vehicle lost power at startup. The first few times it did it, when I would restart it would come back on. Then it just went dead completely, my dealer replaced the radio but it did it again then they replaced the ignition switch. It was okay until about 4 months later and it went completely dead again. They contacted GM and checked all the electrical connections but could not find a problem. They say they have not had any other problems like this. They don't know what is causing it, so they can't fix it. I have started arbritration with GM to try to get them to replace my vehicle. Hope you have better luck.
  • arangelarangel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Suburban and I have the same problem. At start up the radio doesn't work sometimes. This morning while I had the problem I took it to the dealer, they took note of it and they will check it on monday, let's see what they find out. :confuse:
    Do you have parking assist and DVD player? If so, does it also go out?
  • corncarcorncar Member Posts: 1
    I have possibly a relasted/similar problem. Just traded our 07 Suburban LTZ for an 07 LT (purchasing this used vehicle was much cheaper than buying out our lease on the LTZ). The new LT we picked up is loaded with all the same options as the LTZ but is simply missing the chrome exterior trim package... no biggie.

Anyway, after leaving the lot we noticed the "Service Rear Park Assist" message, which the dealership now says that our Platinum extended warranty plan does not cover. In addition, when you turn off the vehicle while playing a DVD, the rear LCD screen does not turn back on when you turn the car back on. The only way to turn it back on is to eject the DVD and start it all over again... and the kids have to suffer through the previews all over again! Further, the steering wheel controls only scroll through the same Fav page of radio channels, not through the entire 6 pages worth of saved Fav channels.

Anyone experience similar issues? Think this is related to the fix described on the previous posts?

We are absolutely livid with the dealership (Harold's Chevrolet, Angola, IN -- a 3-hour drive from our house in Indy!!), as they have told us that the "Manual" says this is how the system is supposed to operate! Give me a break!! We just traded the identical vehicle for this one, and the other one did NOT operate that way. Further, they tried to BS us and tell us that "some" vehicles might be made differently from others... OK, "whatever"! Clearly there is something wrong with a connection somewhere or with the brain of this system it would seem.

Any ideas?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in contributing to our Dealer Ratings and Reviews.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I don't know if this is related to the same problem my tahoe has but my dealer replaced the ignition switch and the radio including the entire wiring harness to the radio. This has been several months ago, so far I have not had any problems but in the past it has gone up to six months without acting up. The reason they replaced the radio and wiring harness is because all of the audio in the vehicle including the rear parking assist beeps are controlled through the radio. You might mention this to your service department. Hope this helps.
  • tfsuvtfsuv Member Posts: 1
    For what it's worth and to document the problem, I have an 05 Tahoe that just had a complete shutdown while driving home last weekend. I tried to jumpstart and did not work. I had it towed to my mechanic who's been trying to find the problem. He installed a shop battery to see if he could get it started but that did not work. He said he was able to get the foglights on but nothing else. It sounds like a complete electrical mess. At this time, all I know is that I need a new battery. I have no solution yet but wanted to get it documented. I will continue to monitor this forum for any assistance.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    ....and for what it's worth....a complete electrical shutdown is usually much easier to troubleshoot and fix, than a sporadic/intermittent failure. Not that I'd wish a failure on anyone, but if you had to have one, your's is the kind to have (except for the required tow).
  • big_gulpbig_gulp Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Tahoe that has been having complete electrical failures for years now. I rebuilt the Positive battery cable end and that helped for awhile. Now it is back to intermittent failures again. These COMPLETE electrical failures usually occur at low RPMs but sometimes have happened at highway speeds. My mechanic cannot figure it out. Anybody please let me know if you have found a solution. Love the vehicle excepting this problem..... and it's a big problem!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Did you read thru the old posts here? This topic is ringing a bell that I've read before on one of these Edmunds forums on either Suburban or Tahoe. Somehow I remember reading something about a particular ground post that either gets loose or needs to be cleaned off.

Seems like 3 -6 months ago timeframe, but I could be way off.
  • dave778dave778 Member Posts: 2
    it could be your computer
  • mstewart48mstewart48 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution to your problem? I had the exact same issue this morning down to the details with the XM and blinker . Can you advise me how you solved your problem?
  • tac147tac147 Member Posts: 9
    I have a similar problem that happened only once or twice before, but now happens multiple times/week. I start the tahoe and the radio does not come up. The seatbelt chime and blinkers do not sound either. I hit the eject button on the CD player and shut the truck off open and close the door. After about 3 minutes the CD ejects. I start the truck again and everything's fine. Has anyone figured this out?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    tac147,

Were you planning on taking your vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • amygray27amygray27 Member Posts: 1
    This is happening to me. The chevrolet dealership has never heard of this problem before. Did you find out how to fix the problem?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Just wanted to make sure I am understanding correctly, amygray27,
    You've visited a dealership for them to look into the stereo concern discussed earlier in the thread and they weren't able to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    After doing more research online it looks like the solution is to replace the amplifier that is in the center console. It's at least a $500 part, so I have not changed it yet. 2 things that I've noticed are it seems to happen a lot less frequently at cooler temperatures and if I turn the key to the "on" position for a second before starting, it also makes the problem occur less.
  • xcane40xcane40 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem just today. The screen on my nav/audio system won't even come on it's completely black and dead. On too of that it's saying the parking assistance is turned off. It's really pissin me off... Are you for sure that the amp being replaced would fix it? Thanks for the help.
    I'm not positive, it's what I've been able to find out researching the web.
  • tysman52tysman52 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone figure out how to solve the problem? Mine is doing the exact same thing
  • jfolsejfolse Member Posts: 1
    Starting to experience this problem on my Tahoe now. Does anybody have a solution to this problem?
  • basspatbasspat Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue now that I think several others are experiencing. Radio, chimes etc. are cutting out and it seems to be the amp like others. I guess my biggest question is can I just replace it with an aftermarket or do I have to get another $500 (with labor) oem? Anyone got experience with this? I've had suburbans for 15 years now but, I'm about through after this one. Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We understand you're exploring your options, basspat, and hope that you get some great feedback from the Edmunds community. If you decide to work with a GM dealership on this please keep us updated on your progress as we're available to check into the situation further.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • shg62shg62 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Tahoe just did the same electrical radio, nav., DVD, blinker and chime as the others I was told I need a new radio? I did see recalls for electrical but it was not on this. I had problems with a 1998 Chev. truck, and it burned in my front yard at night. So I and hoping this has a solution cause he is saying a new radio is $1,200.00.
    Hello shg62,

We can check for recalls on your vehicle if you wanted to email us the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com.

• sade1961sade1961 Member Posts: 1
    The radio in my 2009 suburban has been "glitching" out every few minutes for the past 3 months. When this started happening, my Bluetooth also stopped working. This morning the radio completely died. My audio screen still works -I can see the stations - but there is no audio at all. The blinker sound also isn't working. I ran it into the dealer and he said the radio probably would need to be replaced. I didn't have time this morning for him to run any diagnostic tests on it. Has anyone run into this and had it fixed?
    sade1961,

If you feel you would like for us to work with you through the process of getting this checked into at the dealership, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• cmachk1cmachk1 Member Posts: 4
    Any solutions on the radio and blinker issue? Mines at the dealer now and they can't find the problem!!!!!!!
    I ended up changing my battery and going up one size. That was about a year ago and it seems to have solved the problem. With the old battery, it happened several times per day.
  • z71pilotz71pilot Member Posts: 1
    Mine has just begun the same after replacing the motor mounts. No radio(sound or display), no audibles(including turn signals) and park assist off! All fuses appear to be fine. I have a 2007 z71 tahoe. I find it very odd that this has happened just after a brake job and motor mount replacement. We have tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting with no avail so far.
    So is the battery replacement the key to others as well?
    A bad ground terminal somewhere?
    I truly hope that most of you have found a permanent fix by now.
    Thanks
  • 07chevyt07chevyt Member Posts: 1
    Hello All. Ok I'm new here as well and I purchased my 2007 Tahoe LTZ w/nav new and and I've had small issues with the radio and all of the above items. I've over the years have replaced the body control module (which they say controls all) with no fix of the issues and finally our radio just went completely black screen. The issues started with radio sound just popping then would just go off, then the nav would just come on by itself and would show us driving in New York when we were in Texas and would constantly say checking nav disk and eventually just nothing at all. I purchased a new refurbed radio and it's right back to the same issues but now it does sometimes come on at start up and does sometimes will come on after I've been driving for awhile. Don't know if it's still just a bad radio or something else. I've also tried cleaning all of the negative terminals as well. Wish I new if it's just a module, amp or bad wiring thing so I could just fix the stupid thing. BTW I've also tried the new battery thing and nothing. I'm going to try to replace the radio again one more time under warranty. Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thnx so much in advance!
  • tugboat62tugboat62 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Suburban. I went to gas station to put gas in and when i started the truck the radio was totally dead, no clock and the Park Assist has an error. Speakers are totally dead and dont work for blinkers, doors, on star, park assist. Help! I owe to much on this truck for it to break like this. I was thinking it might be a lose witr in the key start switch? I see lots of similar issues but no recommendations? 
  • Boaz64Boaz64 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Tahoe LT a year ago and I'm recently experiencing the same issues. I'm assuming no one has found a solution.