Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-300 2008+

Comments

• derspeedderspeed Member Posts: 6
    Your dealer knows you are not likely to replace those tires before the tire warranty itself is over. The wheels, on the other hand will be expensive to replace. There are, however, many companies that make replica wheels and the 18" AMGs on the C will surely be in production at some point. Wheel repair shops can also do some pretty amazing things with damaged wheels. I have paid $200 to have an 18" wheel fix and repainted. I bought it damaged, but need it. Seems a bargain compared to these dealership insurance plans. Knock on wood, I have owned may cars with performance low-profile tires and large wheels and have never damaged them. You know they are on your car, so drive accordingly. :)
  • gfrisch103gfrisch103 Member Posts: 1
    I recently sighned a contract on a new C350. I was suprised that Mercedes does not offer a memory sytem for seats. It seems that is a standart item on cars in this pricerange.
  • rlm51rlm51 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the comments. And I agree, I think that the dealership went the extra mile rather than just trying to blow off the problem.

Dust and cleaning should not be an issue as I do weekly washes, and as soon as feasible after driving in the snow/muck.

Odd now that I think about it though, I once leased a Subaru Outback that exhibited the same symptoms -- squeaky brakes. The service department never did figure that one out; always chalked it up to brake dust. Needless to say, I turned the squeaky thing in the day the lease expired. But the point is, both vehicles are full time all wheel drive. Wonder if there is anything to that?

Regards,

Bob in the Mile High City
    Thank you for your information.

I will monitor closely, and hope that the brake overhaul works. Everything is documented for future issues, but not something that I would look forward to engaging in. I hope that this is not a first generation thing. By the way, is your C300 Lux a 4Matic?

Regards,

Bob in the Mile High City
  • justwatchingjustwatching Member Posts: 11
    I have two kids - 5 and 8. They use backless booster seats.

The ones we have for our other car seem to be too wide for the backseats and it is a bit of a hassle for the kids to buckle themselves or even for us to buckle them.

Any one have any experiences with booster seats that may fit well/better?

Thanks
  • tbtmediatbtmedia Member Posts: 21
    I agree w/ you re: the seats---it took me a long time to get my seat where I want it and now if my wife drives the car, it screws me up---not happy about the lack of memory seats at all-
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I agree, no memory on the seats is unforgivable! My MY2005 E320 CDI and my wife's previous MY2002 C320 were equipped with memories. When my wife bought the MY2008 C300 I didn't discover it had no memory seats until after taking delivery. Therefore, I don't drive her car!
  • hermajestyhermajesty Member Posts: 3
    I, too, have a 2008 C-class Sport and am very frustrated with the brake squeal.

I have 5K miles on it, and the squeal has gotten much worse. The dealer "cleaned the pads" and "lubed" something, but the problem still exists. For the most part, the service department kind of "brushed it off" as a temporary symptom because MB supposedly used a "new type of brakes" on this model. Who knows? All I want, is for this problem to be fixed once and for all.

It's embarrassing to pull away from the gas pumps with my car squealing like an old jalopy.

I'll be calling the service department in the morning to make another appointment to get this issued resolved. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you.
    I purchased a 2008 MB c-class Sport 4-matic a few months ago and there's considerable brake squeal that is getting worse. Dealer has not been able to solve the problem so far. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • surfacesurface Member Posts: 6
    Hi Mike,

You may actually be unknowingly creating the problem by thinking you are just turning down the radio. You can alter the volume of the audible commands _during_ the commands via the volume control on the steering wheel. So, when you think you are turning down the volume of the radio _during_ a command... you are actually turning down the volume setting of the audible commands. Get the commands going and then increase the volume via your steering wheel control _during_ a command... that should solve your problem.
  • rick92rick92 Member Posts: 14
    I think you should get serious with this. If they can't fix it, they have to replace the whole brake system. If it keeps on happening, it becomes a lemon, and the law allows you to take the delaer and MBUSA to court. It is unacceptable.
  • dmargo2dmargo2 Member Posts: 17
    I currently drive a 330xi which drives well in the snow..like we just had in SE Wisconsin last week. Can anyone comment about their experience with the 2008 C300 sport 4matic in winter driving conditions. I'm seriously looking at the MB300 sport 4 matic..I just want to make sure it feels secure in winter. Thanks
  • angsbenzangsbenz Member Posts: 1
    I traded in my 2002 Ford Explorer for the 2008 MB C300 luxury 4matic. I was a little skeptical at first. But surprisingly, it drives just as well as the suv in the snow. I live in Ohio, I drive 22.5 miles one way to get to work everyday, and this car has been awesome in the snow. I drive with confidence and a feeling of security. The 4matic is the only way to go if you have to drive in snowy conditions.
  • wrs2wrs2 Member Posts: 2
    Oh Great, I bought my first MB ( C300 Lux 4matic) 1628 miles Brake squealing has started! Thats the reason for checking this page to see if anyone else has been having any brake noise. Well I guess I will start the process of taking it back & forth to the Dealer hopefully,they can find a cure ! Wish I had found this page BEFORE I bought MB
  • lkmc01lkmc01 Member Posts: 8
    Changed my mind. Now I LOVE the iPod integration kit!
    You have my sympathy. I, too, am dealing w/brake squeal since Nov. '07 when I bought my 2008 C-class. The dealer doesn't do anything when I call about this problem--their reason is there's nothing that can be done until MB comes up w/a solution to this. I am so frustrated, not to mention embarrassed, with this problem. We should contact MB directly for a solution to this problem. By the way, the squeal gets worse as you rack up mileage. If I get any info I'll be sure to post it on Edmunds.
  • omerjr59omerjr59 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know who sells aftermarket wheels for the 2008 C300 4matic sport?

I want to upgrade to chrome wheels instead of the painted 17" OEM. I do however want to stick with OEM widths and offsets.

Most websites like tire rack and discount tire don't have specs for fron and rear sizes.

Any one know who or where to look?

Appreciate any input!

thank you
    :)
  • casper1022casper1022 Member Posts: 24
    Hi, just wanted to share how happy I am that I decided to have the INVISIBLE BRA installed on my new vehicle, 2008 C350 by a local installer in the SEATTLE area. Being that BLACK is the color of my vehicle, he was able to do a great job and great customer service. I advice individuals if they would like to protect their investment to consider having the INVISIBLE BRA installed, this will protect your vehicle from those little rocks making a chip on your vehicles paint.
    Most dealers will charge you an arm and leg to have this installed. Even after the installer applied the protective film, he continued to keep in touch and asked if I had any problems, he would make time to make sure that I was happy with the installation. More power to NEAL of Seattle. :) Thank you Neal.
  • sarah17sarah17 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a C300 with all upgrade options. I can't watch DVD's while driving due to the safety lock. the guys at mercedes said that people have removed this but that they don't know how. Can anyone tell me how this would be done or where to direct me to have it done so I can watch(and not just listen to) movies while on long trips???? :confuse:
  • carabelcarabel Member Posts: 43
    Please don't alter the safety standard of being able to watch DVD's while driving. This is why some states have rendered cell phones illegal while driving. We also purchased the multimedia option knowing that we can't use it while car is in motion and shouldn't. I think long driving or not, better safe than sorry. Please, think about it.
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Why would you want to watch a movie while driving?
  • lkmc01lkmc01 Member Posts: 8
    You guys are way too nice - I'd suggest Mercedes-Benz administer an IQ test to potential buyers before they are allowed to actually purchase this option.
  • be325be325 Member Posts: 91
    Hi,
    We have 1700 miles on our C-300 Lux and the other day, the car wouldn't start. We tried both Smart Keys (thinking that perhaps mine was faulty) and ... total silence.
    We got out, closed the doors and tried to lock the car but nothing happened (again we tried with both keys). We got in, tried again to start ... and nothing happened. The instrument panel was lit!
    Again, we couldn't lock the doors. Before calling the 800 number, i put the key in the ignition, turned it .....and the car started!
    Anyone had similar experience?
    I am taking car to the dealer today to see if perhaps the car battery is bad.
    I'll keep you posted what the tech said at the dealer.
    I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. I called MB Roadside and after about 15 minutes the car started. All of the lights, telephone, etc...worked but interestingly, my Brights did not work. When the car started, I called MB and told them they need not come. I have to call the dealer and get my car checked out-
    Can you please let me know what you hear. I will do the same.
    Thanks-
    tbtmedia,
    The dealership (Clearwater, FL) performed the diagnostics while i was waiting 45 minutes (car has 1780 miles) but found no problem was found. The report stated that the technician could not duplicate the problem as the computer didn't 'save the incident or coded it'.
    No problem since the incident .... but you get that funny feeling every time you turn the key.... will it start?
    I'm in NJ and am bringing my car in tomorrow a.m. When I called the dealer and told them why I needed to bring the car in, they didn't even flinch. Anyway, I'm laughing at your comment b/c everytime I start the engine, I wonder if it will start. Not to mention that I'm carrying around 2 keys w/ me in case it's a problem w/ one of the keys. I'll email you tomorrow-keep me posted if you have any additional problems. I have the strange feeling this isn't over yet-
  • papadoc33papadoc33 Member Posts: 13
    I HAD A WHITE AND GRAY 2000 C280..89000 MILES
    JUST BOUGHT A BLACK ON BLACK C300 LUX 4 MATIC AND IT IS FAR FROM DULL
    IT IS A GREAT CAR
    A different experience had my neighbor (the same condo complex) with S430. Apparently, if the car battery is completely dead, you can't open the door or do a thing. The mechanical key does not work. He called the Road Assistance, they managed to open the door, hood and replaced the battery. All is fine now.
    Think about being stranded somewhere at night .... outside your car! Make sure you have the 800 number in your wallet b/c you can't get inside the car! I think is a bad system!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The electronic key contains a mechanical key that should open the driver's door....at least that's the way it's worked on all our MBs since they went to electronic keys. Maybe the S-class is different, but how else did the tech get the door [or trunk] opened to access the battery??
    No more vallet keys.
    You lock the glove box and trunk with the mechanical key and take it with you and the attendant has the Smart Key (that's what is called now). With the mechanical key, you'll open the driver's door, set the alarm, put the Smart Key in the ignition to turn off the alarm, and hopefully you start the car.
    I was told by the owner (2002 S430) that if the battery is completely DEAD (very rare, usually there is some juice in it but not to crank the engine) you will not be able to open the driver's door with the mechanical key! He tried and couldn't open. Let's hear more stories.
    I forgot to say how the tech opened the car.
    I was told that it was the 'old-fashioned-way' ..... the way a locksmith would..... Slim Jim?
    The tech knew that the battery was completely dead by the way the S behaved so he came prepared..... and had the new battery with him.
    There is a vallet key-it's on the opposite end of the portion that you put in to start the car--it's on the silver end of the key--there should be a small black or gray ribbed tab that you slide in the opposite direction and the key comes out to lock the glove box-
    Never tried it on the trunk so I can't talk to that-
    FYI...my dealer in NJ kept the car for 2 days---could not find the problem--they said they never heard of this happening before-shared your experience and told them I am sure the car will be dead again soon-if that happens, I am having it towed immediately vs. trying to start it b/c one day,the same thing may happen and I'll be stuck-
    When I got my car, I programmed the radio from 1-9 on the keypad. When I would control the channels from the up and down arrow on the steering wheel, I would be able to hit the arrow down key (on the steering wheel) and the radio station changed to the 2nd progammed station (#2 on the keypad), then #3, and so on. Something happened whereby when I hit the down arrow key, the radio changes in reverse-so instead of going from the stations programmed in order of 1, 2, 3, etc...they change in the reverse order, 3,2, 1--make sense? The dealer has no idea-anyone know how to fix this ?
    When you say, it would not start, it means

1. no ignition sound at all
    2. no motor sound at all

please explain
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    These ignition and battery issues have turned me off on the C. I was leaning heavily toward buying one ... but I need that kind of uncertainty/aggravation like I need another hole in my head. One car malfunctioning in a funky way is one thing, but when there is only a handful of posters here and there's a recurring theme it says (er, screams) there's a problem that's intrinsic to this vehicle. I have several friends with a wide array of MB's ... and all of them have stories of malfunctions ranging from annoyances to disasters. TWO have had engines replaced and one had MB take back an SL55.

I need this aggravation like I need another hole in my head. Infiniti and Lexus have just pulled ahead in this race for my $$. Thanks to all for the frank discussion here. Bart :) :shades:
    I put the key in the ignition, turned like hundred times before and NO sound or anything.
    The doom lights (when you open the door) were out also.
    A few tries later, it started!
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Sorry for the double "hole in my head" post. I cut and pasted incorrectly. Bart :shades:
  • 2008buyer12008buyer1 Member Posts: 1
    what kind of problems are people having w/ the 300 sport 4matic. I read something about brake squealing?
  • jonnyb23jonnyb23 Member Posts: 3
    I would also like to know how to disable the security feature on the DVD while driving. The idea is to be able to have your family watch the DVD while you drive. What good is a DVD player that can only be watch while parked? What a waste.... Help anyone???
    I live in Colorado and just bought my c300 sport. It snowed the second day that I had it and the all wheel drive is awesome!!! Very good snow performance on this car!
    I know this is a simple question, but I just got this vehicle and they didn't give me the owners manual. I tried to set it up just like the Homelink on a Honda and it won't work.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Owner's manual:

Go to MBUSA.com. Register as an owner, and you can access the online and/or PDF versions of the owner's manual. In addition to the hard copy in the car, I keep a copy on our computer.

Then, go back to the dealer and demand a hard copy. Having said that, don't be surprised if your homelink proves harder to program than on the Honda....
    http://www.mbdoctor.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=98&osCsid=e77- 2e3e716b8953fa1abd394fec0a3bb

There's a website that sells an adapter you plug in to enable dvd while driving...
    I have not tried it and I have to discuss trying it with an authzd mechanic....

But it is a choice.... you have to make.
    Let us know how it goes...
    Martin Aldrich wrote:
    I have a 2008 C 300 and have a severe echo problem with the bluetooth phone on the recievers end and a new att pearl phone. Has anyone had a similar problem? How did you fix it? I have played with the volumes on both the car and phone and nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.mbusa-mobile.com/

http://www.mbusa-mobile.com/manuals/4/13/Blac ...

You should not have any problems after this....
    Good luck.
    I posted a message a while back about brake squeal at around 1500 miles on my 300 Sport 4matic. The dealer did a complete brake job. No problems since.

Bob in the Mile High city
    Hope that you have gotten it programmed by now. But if not ...

I wish I could simply say "Push and hold the Signal Transmitter Button (under the rear-view mirror) and at the same time, depress the hand-held remote (garage door opener) until the indicator lamp flashes."

However, there's something like 12 steps (including garage door opener with rolling code feature) over pages 303 - 305 in the manual. So you really should either look for a copy on-line or (better) demand a copy from the dealer.

If it's any consolation, if I was able to do it, the programming task could not have been that difficult.

Bob in the Mile High city
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    You can always call Homelink and they will walk you through it.
  • wangjrwangjr Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have noise from the brake squealing. I took it in the dealer in San Antonio, Texas. They could not duplicate the problems. A brake squealing is still there. I asked for tires rotation. Tires were rotated but I didn't know if they were balance or not. All tires were at 26.5 PSI when I drove out of the service. Tire manufacturing recommended is 28 PSI in the front and 33 PSI in the back. I was not happy at all. Left a message to service manager (B.) Never get a call back from him.
  • tommy8501tommy8501 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am in Texas and I recently bought a C300 sports. The dealership told me that breaking in is not necessary for this car but I was wondering if anyone had advice. I have driven 600 miles already and it's always tempting to accelerate whenever I am at a stop. Please share if someone has any knowledge. Thanks!