Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There was an SRS recall on the first 900 or so 2001 Elantras in the U.S., but it was caught early enough so most were fixed before they were sold. There was also the "Poor" frontal offset crash test score on the 2001-3 Elantras, which I consider to be a very serious issue for a modern car. And there have been some OCS recalls on multiple Hyundais, which could lead to serious injury if not corrected, but those involved simple reprogramming. There was also a recall on some 2004 Elantras for the gas line connection to the gas tank. It could have been dangerous had an affected car been in a rear-end collision.

P.S. I bought one of those first 2001 Elantras in the U.S. and own a 2004 Elantra now. Both very good cars. But not perfect. Nor is any car.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    backy, I think you are very right. I was being a little too effusive about Hyundai. Yes, they have had a number of serious issues and by no means they're perfect. They & other automakers all have issues.

Methinks I should research a bit before replying... :)
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    I was told by the salesman that Hyundai Elantras have been in the US for only 8 yrs and it probably took a few years to iron out the bugs. This 2008 Elantra is the first to have the PZEV engine....low emission. And that is probably why the fuel pumps are not working right. This is what I honestly believe. It would make sense. Make a new engine and design the fuel pump wrong. I like the fact there is a 7 yr warranty on the whole emissions system. All you have to do is replace hangers on your muffler. I guess they figured there might be some problems to iron out. I just know that if they did swap a fuel pump out of a car for sale to fix my husband's car so they wouldn't have to give him a new car, well...that means it can happen again.

I also saw a post saying there are not very many 2008 Elantras left at the dealers. There are lots up here in NY at the Hyundai dealers. And we were told the only 2009 to get released so far is the Sonata as it sold out so fast.

I liked the bigger Sonata, but I have a 32 " inseam and I had no leg room in it, but yet the smaller Elantra was a perfect roomy fit.

I like mine so far. I just dread knowing my fuel pump will probably go too. And hiping my husband got the correct right one installed, not one out of a car up for sale. .
  • mkepanthermkepanther Member Posts: 4
    I filed my complaint with NHTSA yesterday. I also contacted the BBB and started the arbitration process (I'm seriously considering demanding that they pay off my car loan and return the car). It has been over a week since I bought my car (purchased July 8) and it has been in the shop from July 9, 8:56PM and is not fixed yet. I have called the Hyundai customer affairs/complaint department 4 times now, and have not gotten much resolution. They finally escalated my issue to the regional level. The dealer has not returned calls to the customer affairs department, so it has been escalated now to the region powers-that-be.

(To recap, my original entry in this forum is #189. My car lost power and died in the middle of an intersection during a simple left-hand turn on my first day of ownership. It had about 100-125 miles on it at the time of failure. The dealer said the computer returned a "misfire code on cylinder 1" but could not pinpoint the source of the problem, or what part to fix.) I have tried to be very patient with this whole problem, but this is just unacceptable. I drove my car one day since I bought it on July 8, and it's been in the shop since. I asked the dealer if it could possibly be the fuel pump, after reading all the issues with fuel pumps on this forum. They said that "the fuel pump is not the problem".

Fast forward a few days, and they now notice my 4 calls to the customer complaint line, the BBB complaint and the NHTSA complaint. (I may proceed via BBB through the arbitration/mediation process to get my car returned/ money refunded.) Last night the dealer called and acted shocked that the regional people said to replace the fuel pump on the car. They have to order it still, and don't have an ETA on the repair time (probably depends on when the part comes in). They offered a loaner car (the car has been in the shop for over 1 week now...not quite sure why they offered a loaner to me so late!). They already said that there wasn't anything wrong with the fuel pump, so why replace it now???

My husband inquired as to what "tests" were run on the car...he said that we needed proof of the diagnostic tests run on the car (FYI, we need this for the BBB complaint that we filed. BBB requires/requests paper copies of all records of repairs/tests the shop conducts). The dealer said that they "visually inspected and test drove the vehicle". Nothing in the "diagnostic" category was run (I thought they do more than just look at the car and drive it???). I'm not sure if this is normal to do such low-level "tests" on a car malfunctioning on the first day of ownership. I'm trying not to be negative about Hyundai, but I find it very difficult. The first Hyundai repair shop said "You're going to have to wait for your car to be looked at...you are on the bottom of the wait list". It didn't matter that my car was only 26 hours old.

Then I called the sales manager at the dealer where I made the purchase, and he basically called me a liar (he said to me "I suspect that you are OVER-DRAMATIZING the issues with your car. I find it impossible to believe that ANY Hyundai dealer would have a wait list for a car to be looked at in this situation." I told the sales manager to feel free to verify that what I'm saying is true. I gave him the name and number of the dealer making the "repairs". The sales manager at the selling dealership said "I WILL verify your story with the repairing dealership. I doubt what you are saying is true. I will verify with the repairing dealer." He then called me back about 10 minutes later and apologized profusely for "further fueling my anger" at the situation and not believing me. He said the repairing Hyundai dealer service manager was "the rudest person he's dealt with in this business". The two Hyundai dealers (the one I bought the car from and the one "repairing" the car) slung mud to each other over the course of the next few days we me caught in the middle....

Please put yourselves in my shoes and see if you would be upset if the selling dealership treated you with disrespect and essentially calling you a liar. Would you be happy with Hyundai? Would you be negative? I feel better now that I have filed several complaints with entities that can do something about this situation. I am moving towards a resolution, despite not having much cooperation from Hyundai.

Surprisingly I am now laughing about the situation because it's gotten ridiculous at this point. I don't really care to have the car back. I was originally excited to buy my Elantra since I fell in love with the Sonata (I rented one for 10 days on vacation last year. It was so similar to the Camry, and much cheaper.) I had high hopes for Hyundai and the Elantra, so I'm understandably disappointed by this whole situation.

Thank you to all who have been supportive and understanding of my predicament. I've appreciated the tips you have offered me. This has been a very trying situation, but I have tried to be proactive and alert others to possible dangers with this vehicle. I hope I have done my part to make Hyundai and consumers aware of this serious problem. That's the silver lining in this situation...
  • fargondfargond Member Posts: 23
    I am not as knowledgeable as I should be when it comes to auto mechanics, but have many friends that are. However a fuel pump is one of the most basic things in a car, and a single fuel pump often is used in a wide variety of vehicles, though tends to stay within a particular manufacturer (e.g. GM, Ford, Toyota). However a pump used on a lowly Cavalier might be the same as a more performance oriented Pontiac with a completely different engine. It's more tied to the size of the tank, position it needs to mount in the tank, the length of run to the engine, volume required, etc...

I suspect the PZEV has nothing to do with the pump problems, but that's just a guess. My guess is they used an underengineered (i.e. 'cheap') pump that has a design defect and burns out easily. IIRC, I've seen posts of this problem from east coast states that are NOT affected (or can get) PZEV engines. I suspect it's just a problem across the entire line and whatever other cars might use the same part (perhaps Accent or Sonata depending?)

It is unfortunate this occurred as I know how much of a pain they are to replace, and the potential for personal or property injury due to the failure. I also know I've seen tons of reports of failure (though not this soon) on GM vehicles from the mid to late 90's. I'ver personally experienced it too on a GM. Usually around 50 - 70K miles and the next one fails in another 50K. So it's not something isolated to Hyundai, but the immediate failure is cause for concern.
  • ez888ez888 Member Posts: 39
    i am with you. i'd be pissed at the dealer! its hard to say a whole car manufacturer is bad because of your situation; however, i can see how you feel that way. have you tried contacting the corporate office in the US?

i had a similar situation with dodge/chrysler with my mom's caravan- i will never give any money to them. especially because i contacted their corporate relations office and sent pics of the issue and never heard back.

i hope that bad dealer improves or maybe you just should never go back there. not sure if i missed it, but did the dealer you purchased it from want to help you at all? maybe contact the bad dealer again and work with them. obviously, if your salesperson said the service manager was the rudest person he ever spoke with, i would hope he would follow up because a couple bad people can really tarnish a whole company- as you're experiencing.

good luck. please keep us updated.
    eric
    Well, multiple inaccuracies there. Elantra is now in Gen 4, with Gen 1 arriving in the U.S. in late 1991 for the 1992 MY. Current Elantra has been on sale for nearly 2 years and has been available as PZEV for at least that time--might have been available as PZEV at the very end of Gen 3 also, but I don't recall. And as far as numbers of 2008 Elantras available, the scarcity is on the popular SE trims; GLSes seem to be in much better supply. Also, 2009 Azera and 2009 Genesis are at dealers now, in addition to 2009 Sonata.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    You're bringing up exactly why everyone needs to find a service manager who actually CARES. You found two absolutely terrible people which will completely ruin your experience. I've actually found a few good service guys in the area and I'm extremely glad to have them. It would be terrible to live with a service manager that won't help you, you life will be hell when anything goes wrong.

Personally when I got my old 2003 elantra, I had a minor issue of some squeaking noises coming from the left front of the car. They only showed up at high speeds, so it was hard to diagnose. But the service guy actually came on a ride with me and they understood the issue afterward. It was fixed promptly and never came back. That's the kind of service I expect and probably what should have happened with you. And if it had, I bet you'd be far more happy.
    I am not that knowledgeable either, but our service manager told us the computer control was telling the fuel pump to inject air only no gas. And he said that the PZEV engine emission does mix air with gas to get the low emission. Not being a mechanic I have no idea if this is true. I called my x-husband who used to be a mechanic years ago on trucks and he said he doesn't know anything about the low emission vehicles and changed jobs around the time all the computerized cars started to come out. So.....anyone here know if this is true? Is the fuel pump pumping air mixed with gas to get the low emission?
  • mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    Okay it seems my 08 SE Automatic Trans with 5400 miles on it also had same issue based on all discussion going on this forum. Yesterday my wife was driving from Boston to upstate after finishing my younger one's treatment at BCH. And half way thru she stopped at a rest area. After pulling out from rest area the car started decelerating and it was feeling as if car was trying to shift gear but having issues. It reached upto speed of 60-65 and after that no matter how much gas she applies it wont go any futher but started to deaccelerate. Luckily she was able to pull over on side and called HRA to get car towed to nearest dealership. Just hour ago got call back from dealership stating it was issue with fuel pump and they have replaced it and car is ready for pickup. Should I be looking for anything else when I go to pickup car ? I already filed complain with NHSTA as this is serious issue and anyone could have been harmed in an accident because of this.
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    I seriously doubt the fuel pump mixes air with gas; the last I heard, the pump is mounted inside the gas tank for cooling purposes. The injectors mix air with gas, otherwise the gas wouldn't burn properly.

As for the beta engine, it's been in use about 10 years. As I posted previously, we've had cars with that engine for around 180,000 miles with no problems. Obviously, Hyundai has gone to a cheaper supplier for the pumps and it's come back to bite them. They need to be air-freighting new pumps to dealers so they can be changed instantly when there is a problem and also change the cars on the lot.

I don't know about other states, but in Georgia, we have a three-day grace period to return a car, no questions asked as long as the mileage is less than 150. If my car had died the first day, that's exactly what I would have done.
  • fargondfargond Member Posts: 23
    All cars mix air with gas -- that's how internal combustion works! -- but it's done in the engine, not at the tank where the fuel pump is mounted. Sounds like they were giving you a bunch of noise! :mad:

All pumps today are mounted at the bottom of the fuel tank so their motors are cooled by the gas surrounding it. It seems like there should be a massive recall on this part and have them all replaced if it is this prevalant.
    I looked this up and you are correct. I looked it up in Wikipedia. But I also saw where 2008 is when they first used the PZEV engine in the Elantra automatic only. It was used in the Sonata I believe earlier. But then I also saw when I looked up Sonata that this May there was a recall put out on the 2007 Sonatas about the seat with the air bag shutting off. Hey...this is 2008. I don't want to wait till May of next year before I get a letter to bring my vehicle in to have the fuel pump rixed. Now I know fore sure any long distance driving will have to be done with hubby's car if he does have the correct fuel pump because I am not breaking down 100 miles from home. Hyundai better get going and get our cars recalled now before the next accident report is not a pileup like with my husband, that it will be a death involved.
    PZEV was available for the 2007 model year on the Elantra, e.g. see:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/120605.html

Also, I confirmed that SULEV (PZEV-style tailpipe emissions) was available on the 2006 Elantra. (You might have seen that when you looked at Wikipedia.) I am pretty sure that the Sonata got PZEV only for 2009,
  • mkepanthermkepanther Member Posts: 4
    PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS BRAND!!! My fiasco with them (the dealers and corporate) has completely escalated now. I have contacted the BBB and will pursue having the dealership/Hyundai corporate return my car and pay off my loan. This is an absolute joke!!! I had my brand-new car for about 26 hours (I had driven it 100 miles since I bought it), when it malfunctioned and died in the middle of an intersection. Extremely dangerous! I tried to have it towed, but Hyundai roadside assistance was a total failure. They could not get a tow truck until the next day. I was able to re-start the car and have my husband drive it to the nearest dealer to repair it. We are now at DAY 10 of the brand-new car being in the shop. They don't foresee having it fixed until DAY 12, which is Monday July 21 (I bought my car on Tuesday, July 8). In the course of these 12 days being in the shop, the car was hooked up to the computer ONLY ONE TIME that I know of. That process returned an "error code" which stated there was a misfire on cylinder 1. The dealer has then only driven my car to try replicating the problem, and checked wires, cables, whatever, to make sure "they weren't loose". Meanwhile, they have put 300 miles on my car!!!

During the process of them simply visually inspecting my car and driving it around like it's a free cab service, I asked them if the problem could possibly be a faulty fuel pump. (Based on other feedback on this forum, I suspected that there may be a problem with the fuel pump.) The dealer said "No, we already checked the fuel pump and there is nothing wrong with it". Additional days passed by, and no answer on the source of the problem with the vehicle. During a big chunk of the time the car has been in the shop, I have had to call and request status updates. The dealer has not made a point to call me and update me. The dealer kept saying that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car.

I started filing complaints with the BBB, NHTSA and Hyundai corporate (plus posting here on this forum). All of a sudden (Wednesday, July 16), the dealer calls and says that their regional person contacted them and told them to replace the fuel pump on my vehicle. (I'm not sure what prompted the regional people to contact the dealer about my car). The dealer tells us they have to order the fuel pump, and expect that it will be at the shop on or before Friday, July 18. They said my car should be repaired by the end of the day on Friday.

My husband called the dealer again on Friday (7/18/08) for an update, and the dealer then asked to keep the car one more night. They wanted to test drive it some more and then if everything appears ok, they will release the car to us on Saturday, July 19 (today). We waited until 11AM today and called the dealer for an update (they hadn't called us yet). The dealer then says that the car won't be ready until Monday sometime. They said they needed to run ANOTHER test on the car (he said they have to test the fuel pump). Now the earliest the car will be ready for pickup is Monday afternoon/early evening (7/21/08). The brand-new vehicle will have been in the shop 12 DAYS by the time we can get it back...and I only had the car in my possession for about the first 26 hours.

The dealer said that when we pick it up, it will have about 3/4 a tank of gas in it, which is about the same amount I dropped it off with. They have piled 300 miles onto my brand-new car, they haven't given me the courtesy of a FULL gas tank. I've paid 12 days of car insurance, loan interest and lost out on 12 days of free XM radio service. I also had to use my other car for commuting, which doesn't get as high of fuel economy as the Elantra (I bought the Elantra to SAVE MONEY ON FUEL COSTS, etc, but I haven't seen the benefits of owning the vehicle since it's been in the shop for going on 12 days). I've completely lost out and am getting screwed over by Hyundai. They have no intention to make anything right, and they act like this isn't a big deal to have a 26-hour-old car break down and then be in the shop the next 12 days.

I will follow through with arbitration and pursue getting the car returned and loan paid off. The service I have gotten from the dealer is pathetic at best. The dealer had not returned calls to Hyundai corporate. I have spoken with Hyundai corporate 4 times now and they haven't done much exept escalate the issue to their regional level. The regional people were supposed to call me within 3 days, but I haven't heard from them yet. (Monday will be the 3rd full business day, and I'll be flabergasted if they really call me.)

Oh...and the sales manager I spoke with earlier this week who treated me like a liar (and then later apologized for treating me that way) is no longer with the company. I tried to call him today and found out from the receptionist that his last day was Tuesday (7/15/08). Interesting!!! I spoke with another equally pleasant manager (sarcastic) and he said "We (the dealership) has NO return policy on new vehicles. Once you drive it off the lot, it's yours."

The dealer clearly doesn't stand behind their product at all when they act like a problem vehicle is "yours". This dealer also doesn't take responsibility for selling a poorly made vehicle to an innocent victim. The manager I spoke with (this new one is a real peach!) said that it's not the dealer's responsibility to return a car and pay back my loan. He said that I have to deal with Hyundai corporate, and have THEM purchase back my brand-new pile of worthless metal (AKA the new car I bought).

Buyer beware...when you buy from this company, the problem (AKA car) is YOURS to deal with. YOU are the one who owns it, and the dealer will take NO RESPONSIBILITY to make you whole again. You will lose out on the use of your car (FYI - don't trade in your currently-dependable other car when you buy from this company...you will need your first car as a back-up when your new Elantra is sitting in the shop for 12 or more days), you will waste money on insurance, loan finance charges, fuel economy, worth of your vehicle while the dealer piles on hundreds of miles on your new car... The fun is neverending!!!

Please don't think that I'm some anonymous person who is angry about my purchase. I am a hard-working mother with a Master's Degree and I work 10 hour days and commute 2 hours each day. Never in a million years would I have thought this would happen to me. I didn't ask to buy a worthless car and have it sit in the shop this long and this early in my car ownership. This Elantra nightmare has really been a disaster and it's really gotten ugly. This problem could happen to ANYONE who buys this type of car falsely thinking they are getting a reliable, dependable, cost-effective car. The Elantra clearly fails to live up to everything the dealers talk it up to be. Please don't fall for the dealer's sales pitch, and p
    It really sucks that your new car has been in the shop for 10 days because of a faulty fuel pump. No fun at all. I know because during the first six months I owned a new '95 Mystique, it was in the shop many days for multiple problems and recalls. So I empathize with you.

But I also think you are being unreasonable in your anger towards Hyundai and the dealer. Yes, it appears your dealer could have given you better customer service. But you are blaming them for decisions that you made. For example, you decided to decline their offer of a free rental car while yours is in the shop. Yet you now blame them because you had to use your other car for commuting, that you had to use your other car as a back up. It was not their fault that you decided to reject their offer of a free rental car. So why blame them for that?

Also, you complain that the dealer has driven your car in their attempts to determine the cause of the problem. 300 miles seems like a lot, but what it could mean is that they were trying very hard to determine the cause of the problem, and they simply couldn't replicate the problem you had, so they kept trying. And the only way to do that was to drive the car. Would you have been happier had the dealer not driven your car at all? That they guessed at the cause of the problem? Do you think the reason it's taken so long to return your car to you is just maybe that the dealer, and Hyundai, want to be very sure it's fixed properly, because of the nature of the problem and what it could mean for anyone riding in it? If this kind of problem happened to one of my cars, I'd want the dealer to take whatever time they needed to make sure it was fixed properly.

Also, you expect a dealer to exchange your car (which can never again be sold as a new car) for a new car, just because your car had a faulty fuel pump. What if everyone who has a fixable problem with a car would demand a new car? Since you have a master's degree, you can probably figure out the financial implications to the dealer and/or manufacturer.

If you purchased the Elantra because you expected it to be perfect, then you had an unreasonable expectation. The Elantra has a proven track record for above-average reliability, but it's not perfect, nor is any car model perfect. So if you have a problem with a car in the future, and the problem requires the car to be kept at the dealer more than a few hours, my advice is, take the dealer's offer of a free loaner. Drive the loaner--put the wear and tear on it vs. your other car. Be firm but polite in your dealings with the dealer and the manufacturer. They aren't always as great as we'd like them to be and they can make mistakes, but they're human beings and they appreciate being treated as you would like to be treated. When people are treated with respect, they tend to reciprocate. At least that is what I've found over the years.
    The PZEV was available in California in 2007. I read that .I saw that before I read Wikapedia. I am in NY and the dealer said it came out in NY as a 2008. I don't know about the other states, but Ca and NY have some sort of special section in the warranty books about the length of time their warrant is for emissions.
    I am not sorry I bought my Elantra. I am just worried over when and if my fuel pump goes like it did with my husband's car. I love it. I have driven it now for 5 weeks and I can't complain. There is more room in the front then there was in my 97 Toyota Tacoma that Toyota bought back off of me due to the frame falling apart. And my husband owning his own 18 wheeler is always replacing something. He have over 1 million miles on his 2000 Volvo 770. And still he keeps replacing and replacing. Its the facts of life. The first year he had it it was always at the dealer. And he was on down time from driving cross country. Now since it went out of warranty he just stops at any Cummings and gets it fixed while on the road. Life is a chance. And my husband gave back his 3 day loaner to use his Pathfinder Nissan gas hog to commute for almost 2 weeks. We had a spare car and he said no, he didn't need a loaner. I am just hoping I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't have this problem with the fuel pump. But like my husband says, hyundai must have an idea of the vin#s that are bad. That there might have been a whole batch one day made wrong. And they should really fix the problem so others stop breaking down.
  • gomst1gomst1 Member Posts: 58
    You are right. The fuel pump is just that, a fuel pump. The fuel pump pumps high pressure fuel into the intake manifold (some engines inject directly into the combustion chamber) through the fuel injectors. The engine is like an air pump. The piston sucks air and the injected fuel during the intake stroke and compresses that fuel/air mixture to produce an explosive air/fuel charge. At the power stroke of the engine the spark plug lights the charge. Explosion of the charge drives the piston down. The cycle is then repeated.

Fuel pumps now a days are mostly located inside the gas tank submerged in gas for cooling purposes. About the fuel pump problems on the Elantra it maybe possible to buy some time on this fuel pumps by keeping a full tank of gas most of the time for cooling the pump. Of course this is just my opinion.
  • 3kidsinback3kidsinback Member Posts: 74
    I'm thinking of getting an SE this week....If I wait they may be all gone due to the end of the model year....Has there been a TSB? It sounds like the dealers are all confused. Since the 2008 has been out awhile with no reported problems, I wonder if this is more of recent problem with newer '08s.....
    If there's a fuel pump problem (and it seems there is!) it will likely be a formal recall vs. TSB, since it would have safety implications.
  • justloujustlou Member Posts: 35
    US government opens investigation into '07-08 Hyundai Elantra after reports of engine stalling

The Associated Press
    Monday, July 21, 2008

WASHINGTON: The government is investigating 2007-2008 model year Hyundai Elantra compact cars after receiving reports of engine stalling, officials said Monday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a posting on its Web site that its preliminary investigation involves about 167,000 Elantras. NHTSA said it has received four reports of engine stalling because of problems with the vehicle's fuel pump module.

One owner said the car stalled in the fast lane of a three-lane highway and caused a crash involving three cars and one injury. Three of the four reports involved vehicles with only 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) or less; the fourth vehicle had 2,839 miles (4,568 kilometers) at the time.

Hyundai Motor Co. spokesman Miles Johnson said Monday it was too early in the process to draw any conclusions about the alleged safety issue. He said Hyundai was cooperating with NHTSA on the investigation.

U.S. sales of the Elantra grew more than 50 percent in June to nearly 14,500 vehicles for the month as consumers responded to gasoline prices that have exceeded $4-a-gallon ($1.05 a liter).
    Isn't it amazing that only 4 people have reported this. But, my husband is the one with the 3 car accident with only 337 miles on his car when this happened. And when my report was received, I was contacted and they got the police report to verify the accident. It was actually a car swerved to avoid my husband and the car was rearended by an SUV throwing the car into an 18 wheeler.

Come on everyone...go and file your report. A week after I talked on the phone to the safety investigator it goes public and all because of the 3 vehicles that crashed because of my husbands fuel pump going. They need everyone to file. Please please file the report if you have a problem.
  • gburgrunrgburgrunr Member Posts: 5
    I would also strongly urge others to file complaints as well. I did so last week and was contacted by DOT/NHTSA last Thursday about my issues. I luckily avoided a serious accident on I-95 when my car stalled while travelling north on July 3rd. I was towed to a dealership near parents' house and had my fuel pump replaced after being without a car for four days. This was the second time I had a stall out with my 2008 Elantra which at that time had just about 1000 miles on it. The first time was attributed to a fuel injection "misfire." Honestly, I think the service department really did not investigate the situation throughly enough and sent me back out on the road. How many times does a brand new car just stall for no apparent reason?

Fairfax Hyundari, the dealer I purchased car from, was absolutely NO HELP in my predicament. Their new car sales manager actually hung up the phone on me while I was trying to discuss my situation and what I thought they should be doing to assist me with getting back home for work. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND avoiding that dealership because Mr. Leo Blakley and the GM there have no clue about customer service. Once you drive off the lot you are on your own. To say I have been disappointed with my Hyundai experience thus far is an understatement. :mad:
  • rcwardrcward Member Posts: 2
    What are you a dealer or something? They treated her like [non-permissible content removed] and there is no excuse for that. My girlfriend just bought a 2008 Elantra and so far has had no problems with it. But now I have to worry about her driving it until I check out this fuel pump problem.
    Hey, buddy, before you ago accuse someone, do some research. Her husband's car stalled on the freeway & he could have been killed. She also drives a new Elantra, so she's worried too. Inspite of that she's calm and professional and adding important information to the discussion, not venting.

Be a little more considerate towards her. I think she has handled it calmly & professionally & was not rantin and raving mad like some other forum members.

And before you accuse ME of being a dealer, no, I'm not. I'm a Civil Engineer, not a dealer. Most of us are here because we're auto enthusiasts, not trying to sell something.

And, btw, I was the one who suggested people contact NHTSA. And because some complained to appropriate authorities, this investigation has been opened. And because of this increased scrutiniy, your girlfriend's car might also be repaied if it has faulty pump too.

And do you know who was the first one who complained to NHTSA? schukanuoslady.
    I looked over all my posts I posted and have no idea what post you even replied to that I was addressing someone and asking me if I was a dealer because of what I posted. Next time you have a complaint about something I said please list the post number for me as I can't seem to backtrack to where I said something that sounded like I was a dealer.
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    "What are you a dealer or something? They treated her like sh*t and there is no excuse for that. My girlfriend just bought a 2008 Elantra and so far has had no problems with it. But now I have to worry about her driving it until I check out this fuel pump problem." - rcward

This attacking comment is totally unacceptable. We are all here to learn and share information.
    I decided to purchase the Elantra SE yesterday, being aware of this safety concern. I asked the dealer about the problem and he said he had not heard of any reports about stalling. I printed the bulletin from the NHTSA website and will give him a copy when I take delivery, effectively putting him on notice. Perhaps the service manager will look differently at stalling problems and more issues could be reported. I am hoping that this investigation will get to the bottom of the problem and the concerns will be minimal for everyone.

Thank you and be safe!
    You have to go back and take delivery of yours? I left the dealership that night with my husband with 2 cars.

You say you bought an SE? And you did it knowing the problem? I know ours are GLS's. And with all the posts I don't remember if anyone else said they had an SE have it happen.

I didn't see in the report where it specified which was breaking down. But why would you want to put the dealer on notice when you haven't taken delivery yet and you can cancel the sale and get your money back? That doesn't make sense to me. And you KNOW there is a problem but yet you are buying one? They can't fix the problem until it happens. I know, I wanted them to change my fuel pump and they said until Hyundai makes it official they can only fix what breaks down until they get a tech bulletin. Hyundai has to authorize a recall. And mabye the SE's are not having the problem.

In my opinion you are only going to be making your dealer upset and then when something happens they will remember you and then you will get treated like some of the others have been.

OK...so now I just gave someone a perfect chance to take another pot shot at me :shades: , but you know what? I don't care. He's not the one paying for my car. I am. And if something happens to my car it will get fixed. I just hope it doesn't, but knowing there is a problem I will just have to be on alert. And wait for Hyundai to take action.

And many grateful thanks to those who stuck up for me when that post was posted and aimed right at me.
    Mine was 08 SE automatic that had same issue with 5400 miles on it. So it is not a problem limited only to GLS. We are in upstate, NY and have PZEV engine on car. I personally think it is just car as long as Hyundai addresses the problem in professional manner it is fine.
    I'm in Orange County, NY....what county are you in? I didn't know there was anyone else from upstate NY posting on the board. :shades:

I feel the same way. Its a vehicle. And there are always recalls on something. Luckily so far as I have seen no one else has reported an accident like what happened to my husband.

And no car is perfect. Look at me...11 yrs I had my truck and Toyota bought it back from me for safety reasons to crush it and remove it off the road. That devastated me. But now I know at least sooner or later this poblem is going to be resolved and hopefully before someone gets killed. :shades:
    I seriously think that till Hyundai fixes fuel pumps or says that there's no problem, everyone should exercise caution while driving.

When driving on the freeways, be on the extreme right lane so that you can pull to the shoulder if the engine shuts down. When making turns at intersections, make sure that you have enough Green light time & don't be in a hurry. Maintain adequate distance with other vehicles on the road. Ofcourse, everyone should be driving carefully whether there's a problem or not.

Be safe everyone!
    Albany county, NY. You are right there is not a single brand that is without any issue. As long as Hyundai handles this correctly it will win more customers.
    Yes, I bought one and will pick it up tomorrow. I do not think this reflects bad judgment. I take risks every time I drive (like when I drive my company's 1999 Ford Explorer). I judge that the risks of buying a car that will stall on me are still extremely low. I know, you can flame away, as I don't care either! Don't worry, I will not flame you as it is not my style :)

When I put the dealer "on notice", I respectfully told him about the investigation. He thanked me and agreed to talk to the service manager. Hopefully they can be alert for these problems and assist in developing a solution for this scary problem.

Safe driving everyone.
    I thought I was just stating my opinion about putting the dealer on notice, that they would be pissed at you from the very beginning. I didn't believe what I said was flaming at you. Whatever you think I meant towards you well, whatever.

That dealer is going to have to be "your friend" if and when that car breaks down as they will be the ones trying to fix your car unless you break down someplace else.

Personally I wouldn't want a dealer mad at me like I have read here in some of the posts.

I already got in trouble with someone for who knows what I said as I have no idea :confuse: what the person meant. And if you thought I meant you were going to take a pot shot at me, that was not meant for you.

That was meant for someone who posted something not very nice to me with no explanation of what it was I was supposed to have said.

So I am sorry if you think I was taking a Flame at you. That was not what I intended it to sound like. It was concern I was voicing not to have your dealer mad in the beginning of buying a vehicle and telling them you are putting them on notice.
  • vad128vad128 Member Posts: 9
    Is there anyone who has had a fuel pump failure on an Elantra that does not have PZEV? Other than being indicated on the original sticker when buying the car, where would one find if the car is equipped with PZEV?
    Ok.... I sure hope my Brochure I got from the Dealer is correct on this. Because I am only quoting from that. Can you drive a Manual stickshift? I read in my brochure the Manual transmissions don't have them. Does anyone have a manual with a PZEV engine in it? Go to www.hyundai.com and click on 2008 Elantra. They tell you all the specs. there. :)
    I agree with you . . . I don't think PZEV engines are made for manual transmission.

The question I have, though, relates to trying to find some rhyme or reason to which models are having fuel pump failures. It seems that both GLS and SE models are having issues, so I am now trying to narrow it down another level. Some people have indicated that their cars were PZEV, others have not. I'm wondering if many are not even aware if their cars are PZEV. There was speculation earlier in this discussion as to whether the issue only affects models equipped with PZEV . . . so I'm just wondering if we could get some feedback to find out if any of the previously mentioned fuel pump failures occurred on vehicles not having PZEV.
    Both our cars are PZEV. Hubby's konked out at 337 miles. I have 924 on mine as of today and (knock on wood) no problem yet. Both ours were shipped (per carfax) to the dealer on the same day. April of this year. Mine was service though 3 weeks before I bought it according to Carfax. And Carfax says a pre-inspection was done. Hubby's doen't have the same info as mine did on Carfax except for the date it was shipped to the dealer. There was nothing there saying serviced by Dealer and pre-inspected like mine. And his came out of the showroom. Mine came out of the lot. And today I talked to the saleman who sold us the two cars and he told me they all know about the fuel pump problems now. So if there is a dealer saying they don't know it they are not telling the truth. But, I told hubby we need to buy another month of Carfax (we only had it when I was shopping for a vehicle) and see just what was documented about is repair. As when you get your oil changes and all service work at a dealer they record it with Carfax. The only thing on Carfax for my Toyota Tacoma that was bought off me to crush was my NY state inspections. And when living in NJ there was nothing listed except that it was sold to me.

I noticed today and yesterday too come to think of it that mine is acting like it is puttering under 30 miles but once you get over 30 miles it has lots of go. I hope that is not a sign my fuel pump is going. :shades:
    No problem. Message posts usually cannot convey subtleties (sp?) that face to face and phone communication have. Didn't know you had a "problem" with someone else, sorry 'bout that.

Drive safely!
    You can only buy PZEV equipped vehicles in the so called "green states" mandated by the government. That is CA, NY, VT, MA, VT, OR, CT & PA.

I also bought the three volumes of workshop manuals for the 2008 Elantra for reference or for fixing my daughters 2008 Elantra just in case I need it. I checked the specs of the fuel pump on these manuals but it does not mention any reference to a fuel pump for a PZEV, GLS or SE vehicle. I can only assume that they all have the same fuel pumps. It's only Hyundai's part dept that can tell you if they have updated versions of these fuel pump. Just in case somebody wants to replace their fuel pump on their Elantra, the fuel pump is located underneath the rear seat cushion. After removing the cushion, remove the access panel to get to the pump.
  • biggarbiggar Member Posts: 1
    My GLS with AT and the popular? pkg has about 500 mi on it now and still running :) (fuel pump) but reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone with similiar car thinks theirs is a bit squirrely in the rear end on the highway? Wish I drove an SE to be able to compare the handling to the GLS but it didn't happen. I don't recall the dealer having an SE on the lot last month. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read that the SE has some sort of rear sway stabilizer bar suspension upgrade that the GLS doesn't have. Still don't know if I like the "responsive" steering :surprise: after driving a Windstar for 8 yrs. I wonder whats involved in adding the SE sway stabilizer bar to a GLS? is it doeable? and, what would it cost!
    I'm sure the same fuel pump gets installed in both the GLS and SE. I was just wondering if a PZEV equipped vehicle could interfere in some way with the functioning of the fuel pump and maybe that's why the pumps are failing. That's why I was wondering if anyone could confrm if they had a non-PZEV vehicle that had a failed fuel pump needing replacement.

By the way, my mother lives in NJ and somehow she ended up with an Elantra SE with PZEV. I think sometimes states bordering the "green" states often get PZEV vehicles. Dealerships are always swapping. She just bought the car on Monday and then I hear about all of the fuel pump problems. No problems yet, but I'm just worried for her that she is going to stall out somewhere. I'm not happy at all with this situation.
    PZEV vehicles are fitted with more stringent traps & checks to prevent evaporative emissions from escaping to the atmosphere readily compared to non-PZEV. The fuel pumps on 2008 Elantra's is the returnless type of pump regulated at about 49-50 PSI with the pressure regulator also located in the pump so I would say the evap system should not interfere with the functioning ot fuel pump. I always keep a full tank of gas on my daughters 2008 Elantra to keep that fuel pump always submerged in gas for cooling purposes. It would probably buy me some time if there is fuel pump problems on this vehicle.
  • gburgrunrgburgrunr Member Posts: 5
    I can tell you it is not limited to the "green" states. I live and bought my 2008 Elantra in VA and my fuel pump failed. It first showed trouble with just under the 1000 mile mark but Fairfax Hyundai and their "stellar" service department failed to fix it first time. I had it fail on me again at 2061 miles on I-95 in MD during the July 4th holiday rush. Lucky no one was hurt then.
    You are certainly very knowledgeable!! Thanks for all of the valuable information re: PZEV and the helpful tip about keeping the gas tank filled.

What is your opinion about pro-actively installing a new fuel pump even if there hasn't been a problem yet? My concern is for my 70-year old mother who just bought her Elantra last week. I am very nervous about the possibility of her stalling out in an intersection, not being able to handle the car if it starts to sputter/stall. The thought of her being stranded on the side of a road makes me queasy. I'd be willing to have the car dealer install the new pump at my cost . . . but am I taking a gamble?? If the replacement pumps are the same manufacturer/vendor, is there just as likely a chance that the replacement pump could be defective? In reading the posts, however, I really haven't encountered many (maybe only one) whose pump failed again after replacement. Does anyone know if the replacement pumps are from a different manufacturer?
    GLS or SE is the model type of the Elantra. GLS is the regular one with cloth seats. SE is the leather, moonroof and all that yummy stuff. PZEV is the type of engine. Didn't it say that in your manuals? You either get an Elantra GLS or an Elantra SE. Depending on if you want the leather look/moonroof/music controls on the steering/and leather steering wheel and probably a few other things the owners of the SE's have I didn't list.

A good place to see the difference in the 2 is www.hyundai.com. I even registered my Vin# and it told me when the car came into NY and where it originated out of the Port Of NJ. And they also send you coupons and reminders once you start having service.

And why put a pump in yourself when its free and under warranty. Didn't you see the good warranties your daughter's car has?

I seriously doubt someone wanting to change the fuel pump themselves could get one too if the dealers have to wait in line for them to come from Korea.

You are lucky you can fix some things, but heck.... with the 4 warranties I have I would go to the dealer free instead of having to fork out my own money. And if the fuel pump goes they do give you a loaner car free.

I say....Life's a chance....it does or it doesn't happen. I just hope they recall the pumps before mine goes.
    Did she buy it from Highpoint Hyundai in NJ??? I only ask because I live 11 miles from them in NY and our cars came from the Port of Newark to them first and then they were sent to our Dealer over in NY. Highpoint Hyundai has a lot of them on their website in NJ. That's Sussex County, NJ. I found this out by going to www.hyundai.com and registering my Vin#.

It would be interesting if you register hers and see if it originated out of Highpoint Hyundai like ours did. I would be very curious to know what you find out.

Do what I did too...I had the carfax for one month when I started looking for a used vehicle. And then saw the ad in the paper for a Hyundai Sonata. And the price was only a few thousand more than 2005 cars I was looking at.

I went to buy a Sonata, have a 32" inseam and couldn't drive the darn car. My foot was flipping backwards on the gas petal. I couldn't have that as I broke that ankle in 93. So, hubby has shorter legs and he was thinking about the Sonata for himself.

Then when I got dissapointed the salesman said would I like to test drive the Elantra. I had already tried to drive all the Nissan's and Kia models and had the leg room problem. But said ok. And was really surprised I had leg room. When hubby saw the price on mine and the comfort, thats when he decided to get one too. He could have gotten the Sonata, short legs he has. But the price was good and the ride was fantastic that we took for a test drive.

OK..so Carfax says my car was service 3 weeks before I bought it. As I ran the Vin # since I still had 3 weeks of it. Hubby's car was not serviced. So I figured maybe the fuel pump had to be swapped out in NY once the car came over from NJ due to the emissions in NY now. Hubby took the car in the showroom.

So, I am hoping my fuel pump was changed. The dealer told me it was just a routine service. Now, since when does a new car not sold get a service job done? And I plan on calling Hyundai tomorrow and asking THEM what was reported as serviced.
    Fortunately I make a living as an automotive tech for a Japanese car dealership. Because of that, I sometimes have a problem trusting others to fix my own car therefore I do it myself.

PZEV by the way is not the engine type. It is the emission type (PZEV=Partial Zero-Emmision vehicle). Engines for the 2008 Elantra GLS & SE are both the same. If I was positive that the fuel pump on my daughters vehicle is the problem pump, and because it's easy to access,I would replace it in a heartbeat. Money I can always find. My daughter is priceless.

I know that life is a chance but I try to better my chances.