Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Exterior Repairs

subienwsubienw Member Posts: 2
Getting estimates for my car, 2002 WRX platinum, to be repainted into this color:
You can see it, by clicking here http://driveperformance.subaru.com/version4_2/attic3.asp

What do you all think? Should I or shouldn't I?
What if I decide to sell it, a few years down the road (not planning, but things happen), will it add the value to the car?

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Custom paint rarely adds to the value of a car. I would surmise that for the majority of the market, the paint would detract from the value, not add. There may be a niche group that would find it more attractive, but then you would have to find them!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Even brand new, fresh paint will arise suspicions of it being a flood car. I agree that it would hurt resale values, at least if I were buying. In fact I'd probably walk from a re-painted car.
  • Options
    subienwsubienw Member Posts: 2
    Thank you BOTH, for your honest replies.

I TOO will walk away from a repainted car. Suspicious about it being dented, etc. . . .

Looks nice, that SVX, so I will save my money, for a new car (when I'm ready to buy a new Subie) and leave it as is.

Smile
    Peace!
  • Options
    mckeinmckein Member Posts: 1
    are the mirrors same size or are they diff.
  • Options
    myblurumybluru Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 impreza WRX that is my pride and joy except for the flaking paint on my hood scoop that is getting worse all the time. What started as a few pin prick sized holes are now dime and quarter sized. They make my other wise hot car look tacky. The dealer said that it was a bonding issue when they painted it at the factory but takes no responsibility for fixing it. Estimates are from 300 to 500 dollars to pull it off and repaint it. The rest of the car body is having no issues with it's paint. Why did the hood scoop fall short? Anyone else with this issue?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Do it yourself in flat black, for contrast. Bet that'll look cool.
  • Options
    lorettsloretts Member Posts: 21
  • Options
    lorettsloretts Member Posts: 21
    Hello,

I had to replace the roof molding on the passenger side when it blew up and bent while doing highway driving.
    I had removed all the moldings and cleaned out the gutters. The moldings were not sitting right, there were gaps and the amount of crud I blew out was amazing. The passenger side did not seat properly, so it lifted in the wind.

I found a replacement at a junk yard .. ( saved a bundle ! ) and got that one on just fine.. The drivers side was missing a few clips, so I bought some and proceeded to remount. Darn that it won't seat correctly. Along the rear of the car it clips into place no problem. But I get to the front four clips on the windshield side and it just won't seat ! It did prior to my removing it. I can see a line of dirt marking where the rubber seal on the molding touched the wind shield.

My question is ... is there some kind of waterproof tape that I can apply to the rubber seal and then to the windshield to close the 1/8" gap on the upper part of the windshield side. I would run the tape all the way down to the hood. I am concerned that water will find its way between the windshield and seal creating a leak somewhere.

The rubber indents where the clips slip into the windshield seal are a bit worn, and the little clasps that should grasp the windshield actually sit a bit higher that the passengers side clips did, creating this gap.

I have been reading about Gorilla Tape .. sounds good.
    Would love some feedback!

1996 Impreza LX 186,000

Thanks!
    Loretta