Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Gauges

Comments

• skooter1skooter1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I found one on ebay for 50 buck and says fro a 97-98. but with all the sensers I figure I would have to shell out 150 buck total for the swap. Thanks for the help.
  • phillfphillf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee and I recently hooked up a boat trailer to the trailer receptical and the lights came on and went out on the trailer and the tail lights on the jeep went out. I have tested all the fuses in the block inside and under the hood and no fuses were bad. I've since noticed that the dash lights, the marker lights, license plate lights and the tail lights don't work. All other lights are working. Is there a relay fuse that I should be looking for?, if so, can you tell me which and where that relay fuse is? I don't have an owners manual
  • nanellnanell Member Posts: 11
    Hi-

I have had my '98 JGC for almost 2 years with out anything major. JUst normal maintance, a repleace water pump , etc. But for the last 6 months or so my fuel guage will suddenly go to empty. I had 3/4 a tank a gas the first time it happend turned the car off and then 10-15 minutes later when I came back, I started the car up and the guage read empty. I got out and check the ground to make sure no leak or anyhting and that wasn't the problem. So I got back in the car and started it the fuel guage stayed at E for a while then the next time I got in the car it was fine.

It does this intermittenly. Will do it for a few days and then be fine for a month and then do it a few times again. When the guage reads E the DTE says 0. :confuse: even thought I have just filled up or only drive a little after getting gas.

This is my only car so I need it to work right. (Have 2 very little kids and can't be stranded). I have checked all the fuses in the car and the engine and they are fine. Not sure what to do next (without spending lots of $$ to fix it). Any help?

Thanks
  • bjnhrrbjnhrr Member Posts: 1
    MY speedometer is not working and the power windows are not working. Ive check the fuse's, but there all good, i pick this jeep up in a trade so im not sure exactly what fuse is witch. Ive taken the odmeter out and check the plugs but there good to.
    Any help would be good THANK YOU
  • ddt64ddt64 Member Posts: 2
    When I turn the key sometimes the oil pressure gauge goes all the way to the right, the check engine light goes on and says its my transmission. Replaced electrical parts in the transmission. Did not fix problem. Checked alternator with check engine light on putting out low volts. Check engine light went out and by the time I got it to the shop, alternator was worker perfectly.

Sometimes ignition key won't turn to start car have to mess with it a lot to get it through the tumblers radio crackles and cuts on and off when it idles whether check engine light is on or off. can't get a straight answer from any mechanic and would like to know if the voltage regulator inside the alternator can work when the check engine light is off and then not work when the check engine light is on.

Is the voltage regulator controlled by the computer or is it independent of the computer?
  • ddt64ddt64 Member Posts: 2
    check engine light goes on and off, when on computer says its the transmission,the radio also cuts on and off sometimes the gauges go crazy the car has also shut off at low speeds when parking. key sometimes wont turn also the alternator voltage and amps are low when check engine is on when the light is off the alternator works fine ,when i take long trips the light usually stays off, around town and in the morning the light comes on, then when i get to work 32 miles ,then i stop the car and start it the light goes off. paid 400$ for the transmission electrical parts, did not fix cant get a answer from dealer or shop please help
  • dylanhammonddylanhammond Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out the problem? I have same exact problem and I can't figure it out. If you figured it out please let me know.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    have you checked the battery ?
    would change that first to see if have shorting prob internaly on the batt
  • krtitus124krtitus124 Member Posts: 1
    Dead battery..low lights. No gauges. I am assuming a bad alternator. Before dying the gauge did not show the battery voltage...help.
  • bbtl10825bbtl10825 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2002 grand cherokee, it have 2 problems and they seem not to related.
    First is the head light problem with the head lights turned on they will most of the time cut off when i turn on the turn signal, and a few times when using the wipers. The local dealer wants $40 per hour to trouble shoot. the second is the check engine light comes on but not all the time, and the tries to stall out, this happens the most when sitting a stop light. plz send response
  • officemax15officemax15 Member Posts: 1
    For the 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, where can I find blue LED instrumental panel lighting? When you turn the truck on the dashboard and everything lights up green and I want to change it to the color blue, so how would I go about finding a kit to do something like that?
  • alibarsalibars Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 160K miles on it. Never had a problem and then it all happened at once. Oil pressure gauge would drop down to zero at a stop and the check gauge light came on. The airbag light would stay on. The brake lights didn't work all the time. I had a couple different shops wanting to charge me a fortune to diagnose and all different things they wanted to replace before even looking at it~ranging from alternators to a new engine. I hooked up with a very honest mechanic Meritage Auto Repair in Auburn, CA who got me fixed up in no time.

1. The oil pressure going to zero and the check gauge light: The oil pressure switch was sending faulty signals and needed to be replaced. That problem solved.

2. The airbag light: The connection had come loose so he reconnected it. That problem solved.

3. The brake lights not working: After changing bulbs and it still not working, a friend who is a mechanic looked at it and noticed the prongs on the connector wasn't lining up. He straightened them out and now they work. Another problem solved.

I was blessed to find honest people to fix our Jeep and it didn't even cost $200. If you have any of the above problems, check out the things that were fixed on ours to see if it will help you. I see a lot of people replacing oil pumps simply because the auto shop thinks it might work. After checking that all your fluid levels are where they should be, try the switch ($40-$50 part) and connections first.

God Bless your day!
  • belazulbelazul Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 jeep cherokee with aprox. 160000 kms on it. when the engine reaches running temp the oil gauge drops when idling and then goes back up when running also the temp gauge goes up for a few seconds then drops down. does any one know what could be causing this. I havn't seen any signs of any leaks
    change engiton switch
  • mjm717mjm717 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a purchased a '98 jeep cheorke and having similar problems with my gas gauge. did you ever find the problem or the answers to your questions?
  • jerrybeckwithjerrybeckwith Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo and having gas issues. It has about 126,000 miles and it really eats through gas is this normal for a V6 or do I need to change the fuel filter. Any suggestions would be great.
    I never did get an answer to this problem. And I still only have it happen once in a while. The local shop said it would be $65 an hour to diognise the problem. But I don't want to pay that. SO I just live with it when it happens and rely on the trip meter. Soory I am not more help.
    Have you figured out you mpg? It is pretty normal to get horrible gas milage in a v6 or V8. I know in my jeep GC I get about 12 mpg in town and am lucky to get 17 mpg on the freeway. But about 15mpg is average.

I know that in the '98 the fuel filter in on top of the fuel pump and is one unit so it might now be an easy thing to just change the filter.
  • breezleybreezley Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003. Yesterday I was driving along and all of a sudden my airbag light came on. I was about 3 mins from my in-laws so I stopped there. Spent an hr ther then when I left and started the Jeep - the light was off. It stayed off all day during several different trips where i parked and and restarted the jeep. Today I went to go somehere. drove about 20 feet and the check engine light is on. The airbag light is still off. About two weeks ago I had the stearing gear box replaced? I don't know if that had anything to do it with what i'm seeing? Any suggestions on what's going on before I bring it to the dealership and pay $60 an hour to get them to investigate :sick:
  • david_david_ Member Posts: 1
    I went to unlock my '05 JeepGr. Cherokee and it wouldn't open nor wqould the key turn to allow me to manually open the vehicle.

It cost me $140.00 tow to the dealer.

The dealer, Steele Chrysler in Halifax, Nova Scotia spent 1.5hrs "diagnosing" the problem and for a mere $167.00 (tax in) they removed a fuse under the hood.

I complained about the time spent to identify an computer/electrical issue but was assured that in fact the technician had to spend that amount of time to do the job.

Once again that was $307 bill to take a fuse out for 30 seconds!!!

Now I ask you...is training and common sense an issue here?

David
  • john251john251 Member Posts: 1
    i seem to be having problems, hopefully minor.

the fuel gauge drops out, low fuel light comes on, then it jumps right back to normal.

any ideas ???
  • dawn16dawn16 Member Posts: 4
    i'm having same issues did you ever find out the problem?
    i would try a new enigtion switch
  • morrest1101morrest1101 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm new to this site, so bare with me please!!
    We have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited. About a moth ago the windows would work 75% of the time, then 25% of the time and now not at all!! Also, the locks on the doors won't work, and the dome lights are on all the time while driving. The automatic preset seat button does not work either. The other night at 1am the headlights were turning on and off by themselves with nobody around the vehicle. Has anyone else had similar problems and if so, what did you have to do?
    PLEASE HELP!!!
  • kbtdelkbtdel Member Posts: 2
    Maybe someone can help me.

A few months ago my gauges went crazy in our 96 Laredo 4.0 V6. The check gauges light light up. The dials then bounce off the scale back and forth. This happen a few times and then went away however, well driving it occur almost consistently. Now the gauges do not work at all sometimes they light up and bounce back and forth and then shut down.

When you put the key in the ignition the only light that illuminates on the dash panel is the ABS light. I check for codes and there are none being thrown.

Whatever circuit controls these dials and digital odometer meter also controls the electric windows because that does not work either.

I thought bad ground so I check and clean the battery terminals. That did not resolve the issue. The jeep runs perfect. Everything except the gauges and the electric windows work including headlights etc.

Can someone please advise what to look at? I check my fuses and I believe they are find. When the gauges come on I can raise the windows up and down but most of the time I lose power to that circuit before I can get the windows up or now. Right now they are down.
    replace the ingnition switch one of contacs have gone bad
  • kbtdelkbtdel Member Posts: 2
    My issue ended up being a short somewhere in the radio area. I removed the radio and checked all connections. I put it back and everything so far as been fine. I suppose a power wire was grounding out against the metal frame work of the dash.
  • terra97701terra97701 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same issue with my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited of the door locks not working, the preset door settings, and the head lights coming on and off by themselves. Has anyone discovered a fix for this?

Thanks!!
  • johnreardon01johnreardon01 Member Posts: 2
    When I tap on the switches the fan speed control light comes half on the light behind the temp nob and direction nob are fine its just the light behind the left of the fan speed nob. So my question is, is there a bulb back there and its just loose or am I just that stupid(please dont answer that) can anyone help real quick?thanx. :confuse:
  • jaynote99jaynote99 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee limited with a Hemi. Yesterday I recieved a message saying "Service 4WD System", has anyone got this before? If so, what came out of it. It is driving me nuts, I have the car two weeks!!!
  • dkolczdkolcz Member Posts: 1
    ABS Light will come on only when raining or really damp outside ? Off when dry outside. Where are the sensors located.......any help will be appreciated

Thanks
  • humbledhumbled Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I had the window issue also and it was 2 wires broken in the rubber boot between the body and driver door... as for the interior light issue and headlights coming on randomly... havn't figured out yet.
  • jcarey1jcarey1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 4x4 Grand Cherokee Laredo and am having a problem starting. It only occurs from time to time. When I turn the key it clicks and all the gauges bounce back and forth and continue to bounce even after the key is removed. If I keep trying it will eventually start. The first time it happened I pressed the brake and the gauges registered normal and it started. This morning the gauges started bouncing again then it finally started but now the gauges are dead.
  • fran22fran22 Member Posts: 2
    Climbing a grade (Mt. Hood area in Or) temp guage dropped to 0 and started smoking blue from tail pipe. When I shut it off, temp guage went to 150. 45 pounds oil pressure same as always. No smoke out of valve cover. Radiator cap has pressure. Engine seems to be cool, ample coolant in resovoir. After sitting for a while drove another mile to top of mountain, didn't smoke, didn't miss, but temp guage at 0. Any suggertions.
    could just be temp sender blue smoke is oil smoke if you were pushing if could just be pluged pcv valve
  • fran22fran22 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Thank you Thank you. That's exactly what it was.

francie
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    All the panel warning lights were intermittently lighting up for a few seconds, then going back off. Thanks to what I've read here, it was easily fixed by cleaning the battery posts and cable terminals and tightening them down well. (2005 Grand Cherokee 3.7L) :shades:
  • chucr311chucr311 Member Posts: 2
    I have a rubber hose coming off the front differential but the other end is not connected. Where does it get connected to? ABS light now stays on. I don't know if the two are related.
  • choosinuchoosinu Member Posts: 23
    Hello,

Can I continue about 100 miles to Amarillo with steady check engine light and codes p0204, p0208. Initial code read was reference to throttle position sensor, but that went away.

Vehicle is 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 78K miles
    mounted througj the backing plate in the rear mounted just below the capaler on the front
    the ecm (engine control modgl) is on the pass side in the engine compartment right behind the ac aculmator (which swets real bad when running ac ) drips on computer plug in and gets contacte caroded

disconect bat and remove plug clean contacts real carefuly (what i did was plug in and unplug couplt times put dilectic grease on contacts solved my prob
  • jeep4life0604jeep4life0604 Member Posts: 9
    Hello, the rubber hose coming off the front differential is actually a breather for the front differential case... that hose is not supposed to be connected to anything.
    As far as the ABS light coming on... it could mean a number of things. Start by going to your local auto zone store and having them check the code, either that or buy your own generic scanner along with a service manual for your particular year and model to help guide you on what the code numbers mean. If I had to take a shot at it without looking at your vehicle, I would say it is associated with a front hub bearing, if the bearing is going bad it could create slop which in turn would cause the ABS light to come on due to the fact that the vehicle thinks it is actually slipping when in reality it is not.
    The only other thing I can think of is something to do with the ABS module... however I have not seen many cases of this... more or less it is always usually a bearing or corrosion in or around the sensor for the front wheel hub bearings.
  • c_farooqc_farooq Member Posts: 20
    hi

i had similar problem, i had to change the coil pack. This is a comon fault with Jeeps. Also check the Lamda sensors (oxygen sensores)? is it running on LPG? if it is then replace the injectors.

good luck
  • myposmypos Member Posts: 5
    After 250,000 miles I have had just about enough! 4 engines, brand new shock, got the death wobble, some brake issues and as if that's not enough now when i fill up the gas tank the gauge still reads empty. No more of that satisfaction of having the gauge read full and the gas light be off. When the problem first started i tried jiggling all the wires under the steering wheel, which made the gauge read about a quarter tank even though it was full and now just nothing, I have to go by the mileage. I am thinking it is a wire that has shorted somewhere because of that initial jiggle and got somewhat of a reading, however i have no idea which wire it may be or even worse if it is actually the sensor in the tank. If anyone has had this problem with solutions please please please let me know how you fixed it (for my sanity and the life of this '93 JGC). :cry: :sick: :lemon:
  • scootter1scootter1 Member Posts: 23
    I just purchased an 03 Limited. The VIC display is blank. Is it possibly a blown fuse or something else?

Scootter1
  • scootter1scootter1 Member Posts: 23
    Checked all the fuse's and all is good. Any ideas?

Scott
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    " I am thinking it is a wire that has shorted somewhere because of that initial jiggle and got somewhat of a reading, however i have no idea which wire it may be or even worse if it is actually the sensor in the tank"

I agree that it sounds like a wire problem if your "jiggle" did something. You need a wiring diagram, which I think you can find on line for your 15 year old JGC. :)
  • hurz2phurz2p Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport that keeps blowing the airbag fuse causing the airbag light to come on. I replace the fuse and within 5 minutes of driving it blows again. Any ideas?
  • alibarsalibars Member Posts: 2
    My airbag light stayed on and I thought it was the fuse too. I took it to the shop and they found that they connection in the back was loose. He plugged it back in and it never came on again. Might be that simple. Good luck!
  • lutzchadlutzchad Member Posts: 1
    My turn signals quit working the other day. When you turn the signal on to the left or the right they will work for a couple of seconds and then they quit working. It is not any of the bulbs, or the flasher. I replaced the flasher and they still do not work. Any ideas.