Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Gauges

Comments

• slatzmanslatzman Member Posts: 6
    hi my 99 jgc is doing same thing i reset computer drives fine for a while this is getting pricey for me .have you figured yours out please help
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    dose not have a regular flasher but has a combination flasher relay (looks to be the center big relay looking thing in your junction box )
  • bobbyj232bobbyj232 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    First, I know everyone says this but I really mean this. I have had Jeeps for 10 years now, three diff ones and I hvae this true everytime. All Jeeps have the same problems eventually. Never take your Jeep to the shop or dealership until you have tried to fix the problem yourself and have exhausted all options. It will eat a hole out of your wallet. It is neither of those items they told you. If you look right below the dash on the driver side near where your left foot sits, there is a cover below the dash. Pull it off. There are multiple wires and connections there. Your dash lights are being caused by a bad connection or short. In those wires it should be close to the second bundles of wires from the left. Notice if you touch them or kick them your dash lights will reset. If this happens it means you need new wires, and or a new connection (hopefully only the connection). You can fashion a new connection yourself, its mostly plastic. Ask a auto parts shop for ideas and help if needed. There is your problem. No 2,000 dollar parts.

As a side note, anytime a dealership every says you need a 2,000 dollar part replaced, especially on a Jeep as new as yours, its not true. Those parts are that expensive for a reason, they are the parts that the most precision go into, they do not go out until about 200,000 miles of wear.

I hope this helped!
  • jlscismjlscism Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a reply to this message? I am having the exact same issue. Was told it required replacing the sender unit in the gas tank for $700, but, I just want to disable the alarm
  • jewlsjewls Member Posts: 3
    I don't know a whole lot about vehicles BUT my husband is having all sorts of problems with his 2000 Grand Cherokee. We actually purchased a computer from a junk yard and took the Jeep to Chrysler so they could set up the new computer to our Jeep. They actually told us that the old computer was fine. The computer from the junk yard was like 20 bucks and taking it to Chrysler to have them tell us it didn't even need a computer was 40 bucks (half hour of labor). They were able to tell us more of what needed to be fixed than Auto Zone could though. Their diagnostics are a little better I believe! Wish you luck!!
  • pabloupablou Member Posts: 2
    Dear All:

I had a 2007 Automatic GCh Laredo with 50.000 km, on sunday when drove back to Caracas the Instruments Panel blinks four or five times, then engine turn-off shortly, but continues to be on and performing as well as the beginning of the trip. I was really worried about this situation because we was so far from any city or town to got helped. After this I drove a little bit slowly thinking this problem would came from the gas pump.
    Two days later the GCh is still performing fine, but I'm hesitated with no notice about the problem's cause.
    Have anyone any idea about this problem? And how to have it fixed?

Regards,
    pabloU

ps: Excuse my poor english sirs.
  • pabloupablou Member Posts: 2
    Mr Scott

I'd read about your problem with the JGC two years ago and was wondering if you could help me solving the following case:

I had a 2007 Automatic GC Laredo with 50.000 km, on sunday when drove back to Caracas (Venezuela) the Instruments Panel blinks four or five times, then the engine turn-off shortly, but continues to be on and performing as well as the beginning of the trip. I was really worried about this situation because we was so far from any city or town to got helped (over 100 miles). After this I drove a little bit slowly thinking this problem would came from the gas pump.
    Two days later the GC is still performing fine, but I'm hesitated with no notice about the problem's cause. On january 30, 2009 I have changed the battery, and almost one month ago I un-posted the negative wire for 15days (was travelling away).
    Have any idea about this problem? And how to have it fixed?

Regards,
    pabloU

ps: Excuse my poor english sirs.
  • a72rose2a72rose2 Member Posts: 4
    i have the same problem not sure what to do have you found any information about it? my air bad ding's every minute :mad:
  • luna8luna8 Member Posts: 1
    What does the light that has a circle with a key in it mean on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Grand Laredo
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do you have a security system in your Laredo? That may be a sentry key icon you're seeing.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • a72rose2a72rose2 Member Posts: 4
    i have the same problem with the air bag dinging tooo my key light comes on to if i use my electric start and if i shut it off and pull out the key and restart it with the key it goes away :confuse:
    that tells you if it reads the security chip in the key if you try ro start with it on will not start should go ot when turn key to on
  • rglaserrglaser Member Posts: 1
    2000 jgc limited. 81,000 miles. starts good runs good while driving. suddenly, odometer will flash, check guages light comes on, sometimes the brake and abs light come on too. voltage guage will drop, gas guage rises. the car doesn't shut off, but idles low, around 5-600 rpm. smell sulfur when it happens. problem happens for about 30 secs to maybe a minute, then everything goes back to fine. New battery and alternator (both have been checked, no corrosion or problems). we think it may be ignition switch or even computer but have no idea. please help
  • sortergurusorterguru Member Posts: 2
    It means your trying to start the car with the wrong key. The code in the computer chip that is in the key does not match the code that is in the car computer. My wife had a copy of a key made at a hardware store that did not have a chip in it. Then she called me and said the car won't start. It would unlock the doors and start the engine but it would only run for a second or two then die with that light on onthe dash. Hope that helps
  • ninja_turtleninja_turtle Member Posts: 5
    the combination flasher/relay works when it wants to. there is nothing wrong with the lights they all work. thanks for the help.
  • mpzanottompzanotto Member Posts: 6
    Hi there, I need help, my mechanic said he replaced the valve cover gasket on my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The thing is I can't see any signs of the replacement. Still dirty around the area. Any tips on how can I be certain that the service was performed? I don't want to complain and look like a fool. Please help. Thanx :) :confuse:
  • mary78mary78 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 Dr., the fan only on works on high which is the #4 setting, no output from settings 1,2, and 3. any ideas, thanks.

Mary
    Perhaps Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C Heating Ventilation would be helpful.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • genel1genel1 Member Posts: 5
    Where are the flasher and turn signals located. Both are out on my 95 and can't seem to find. Have looked under the driver's side dash..if they are there, where are they hiding?!
    jeep uses a multi type flasher unit ti is square like a relay i think it is on drivers side at the top of the fuse holder on the left of the relays unpluges just like a regular flasher
  • pjm321pjm321 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee and the lights on the control knobs and the temperature settings is not working. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is a bulb or a fuse problem. If it's a fuse which one is it?
  • gwc566gwc566 Member Posts: 1
    oil pressure guage problems..replaced the sending unit, checked oil pressure manually at 90psi...gauge goes up to hal way when vehicle starts and then goes to low (check guage lihgts) and when I stop or go around a corner the guage goes up to half way...like its floating...is this a guage problem? if so, where and how much $$ should I be looking at...Many thanks
  • donr4donr4 Member Posts: 1
    it is the heat ac control board...you have to buy the whole board , it has l.e.d lights embedded in the board. i think it cost around $120
  • dee4464dee4464 Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a 2006 grand cherokee for 3 months. On my way home tonight the dashlights and headlights flashed several times then went off. (maybe the tail lights, too?) A few seconds later they came back on. Another minute or two and it all happened again. Where should I start looking for the cause of this? I've owned F150's for over 10 years and no nothing about Jeep. :(
  • dee4464dee4464 Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to adjust the ABS system? My 2006 grand cherokee seems to have issues with that. Or rather, I do! None of my F150's did this. When there is even a little ice and I try to brake all it does is the shutter thing. I can't even pump the brakes. This is very dangerous on ice when there seems to be no possible way of stopping and you are approaching another vehicle or busy intersection.
  • pole2pole2 Member Posts: 17
    I had the same problem with my Dodge Dakota lights flushing sometimes plus gong ring (same like you open doors ) It was Body module . !5 minutes to replace but cost more then $ to buy module for Dodge. It my help you because it all Chrysler anyway.
  • jaxcat07jaxcat07 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here, first post. I have a 2004 JGC. The driver's side brake light is out, but the bulb lights up with headlights, just doesn't get brighter when I hit the brakes. I tried changing the bulb, but that didn't help, since the bulb obviously is not burnt out. I'm not very car savvy, so I don't know what else to try. Please help! Thank you.
  • alexis11alexis11 Member Posts: 1
    hey mine does the same thing. I took it to advance and the employee actually had the same problem. what it is is the stick that controls the lights is broken or loose. its like 150 to replace it or you can just shake it until the lights come back on. It is kind of a pain to deal with when other people drive the Jeep but its not that big of a deal to me. If you can push it back into place correctly it will stay on for a while.
    get a new bulb holder from jeep for the brake light bulb should fix prob
  • collacitocollacito Member Posts: 4
    own 2000 grand cherokee for about a year everithing works fine until last two weeks panel and gauges start to fluctuate and that weird light with the key simbol turns on on my wife and the windows stop working all the controls on the steering wheel stop working at the same time.turn off the engine, and start the engine again works fine for about two minutes then problems again.ANY GOOD IMPUT ABOUT THAT ?
    UNDER THE PASSENGER SIDE HEAD LIGHT IS THE RELAY THAT CONTROLS THE FAN IT HAPPENS TO ME ONLY COST 50.00 BUCKS ON AUTO ZONE. YOU NEED TO TAKE THE BUMPER OUT AND THE HEAD LIGHT TO SEE IT ITS NOT BIG .ITS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A 17 MM SOCKET.GOOD LUCK
    i heard about complaints about it .its the control behind the steering wheel it cost about 75.00 bucks dont take the old one until you have the new one cant but the old one back you have to break the plastic clip to take it out.hope helps
  • rlipp69rlipp69 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me try to figure out how to fix my problem. The Part time light stays on in my dash. If i select Full time 4 wh drive the light goes off but when i change to reg 2wd the part time light stays on. The light is on when in 2wd. Any help would be great.
  • lucer105lucer105 Member Posts: 5
    I got a 2002 GC larendo (sport) with 4.0L I6, it began to do interesting things from last weekend. The check engine light went on when I was on the way to supermarket, the light stayed on for 3-4 driving cycles, it was about 14 miles total. I opened the hood, checked oil, coolant, cleaned the dust on the modules... and the light went off~

This morning the light went on again, with nothing feeling wrong about it. Since I was almost out of gas, which could be a reason for the light, I filled the tank, no lucky. The battery reading is ~14 volts, new spark plug, new driving belt, new air filter, all other fluid are all new.... I didn't read the code yet, anybody has any idea on that?
  • mario39mario39 Member Posts: 1
    My eep Grand Cherokee 2006,has the light bulb of one push-button of the computer panel located in the console just above the air conditioner control commands, burned.
    How can I replace the light bulb inside the push-button?
    One Jeep mechanic told me to change the entire computer panel! This method is of course quick but also expensive.
    somebody can suggest how to fix just one light bulb inside one push-button?
    Thank you for your help! Mario
  • cal65cal65 Member Posts: 6
    2000 Grand Cherokee, 4.0L automatic
    when starting, the airbag light comes on, then goes off for 2 to 3 seconds then comes on and stays on.

checked clockspring continuity ok. Airbag Control Module is $400, DBDIII scan is $125. Anyone got some likely failure mode for this one? Are the ACMs on ebay workable?

thanks
  • pmoorerpmoorer Member Posts: 1
    hey i have a 96 Jeep Cherokee and ive been driving it for a couple years now and my sister drove it before me what i noticed was that for all these years that the area around the air conditioning was always soooo dark but i thought that it was like that just because it was such an old car ...but until this weekend my lights above the a/c(max, norm, bi, vent, head and the tempature settings) turn on and you could actually see them...my mind was blown and everything cuz i thought it was cool but now it wont stay on and hasnt turned on since i turned my car off that night. what is the problem and what can i do to solve it thanks!
  • sweetv1sweetv1 Member Posts: 3
    first of all, I'm pretty young and in need of a vehicle. My friend has a JGC 2004 150K excellent condition from what I see. She has one problem she says the engine light comes on from time to time. She says she took it to a mechanic they somehow fixed it with a new gas cap, but just yesterday it came on again, she says she told them to change all the hoses. It has come on again. I asked her did they reset the computer, she said yes. She's selling it for $4000 good rubber, alot of working options. I know it has been in 2 accidents, all cosmetic already have been repaired. Is this worth me pruchasing? Please advise, I really like it but afraid of serious problems. Thank you, SweetV
  • lucer105lucer105 Member Posts: 5
    The code for the ECL on is Throttle/Pedal position sensor~ I bought a new sensor and ready to change it. One question, do i need to adjust the new TPM? I though most "new model" after like 85 or 87 are nonadjustable, right? The sensor will do the calibration itself, am i wrong?

It is 2002 JGC 4.0L 6cyl.

Thanks~
  • alby3alby3 Member Posts: 46
    well i had the security key light come on and stay on (not flashing). sometimes it went out but it was on more than off. but my 2000 grand cherokee ran fine. however, it died on me 2 or 3 times over a week and 1/2. but always started right back up after i came to a stop and put in park and restarted.
    then a week or two into it the guages all went dead, and all the dash lights came on. but the wj was still running fine. the guages would bounce on and off but usually stay on. then i realized it was happening when the temperature went below say 45 degrees. it happend alot then, but she still ran fine... the key light was coming on almost everytime but the guages seem to only bounce around when the outside temperature was under 45 degrees or so....
    got to be a ground.... right??? well i undid the battery terminals and cleaned them even thought they looked good and left the battery unplugged for 20 minutes. i read this may reset the computer. did not expect much. but that was two days ago and i have not had a problem since. and the temperature was in the 30's. i am still skeptical but it is working great since i cleaned the terminals and left it unplugged to rest the computer.
    so we will see
    alan
    im been reading about how cherokees are on voltage. so i did all kind of things to fix mine and no luck until today it die on me the batery was gone in five minutes,no voltage at all so i bought a new batery on kmart for 109.00 and all the pending codes 1487,1487,no bus signal and all gauges problems gone just like that.get a new battery and you see the plates inside your battery are damaged,still start your engine but not enough to keep all the modules working well.HOPE THIS WORK FOR YOU AND TO HEAR ABOUT IT. COLLACITO77@AOL.COM
    Please don't include your email address in postings to the Forum. Thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    did you ever get that fixed?? I have tried several things but no luck yet.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you live in or near DC and have had fuel spitback issues with your car, please email pr@edmunds.com before Monday, February 28, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and the year, make and model of your car.
  • thansonaz71thansonaz71 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 98 grand cherokee 5.9 and the hood icon on the console is lit up, what are some likely explanations for this?
  • larchavelarchave Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2006 jeep cherokee. when i first bought it i had problems with it starting. and the engine light would come on and off for a few days. Took to dealer and they claim could not find a thing wrong and stated it could be my key that needed to be replaced, but they reset the whole electric system. no problmes for at least 2 years. now having probelm again, engine light comes on, dash lights go crazy, head light flicker on and off. and sometime the car won't start at all until i put in park and back to drive then it will start. took to an electrical machanic and he says I might need to replace the intire computer system and will cost a total of about 900.00. Has anyone had this issue and have resolves it without it costing an arm and a leg
    edited June 2011
    this is good to know. i've had all sorts on electrical problem and never thought about this. i replaces the battery about a year ago and everything was fine. now i'm having the flickering of dash and head lights and the engine light goes on and off daily.
    well you can reset electrical system again by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes..... but it doesn't fix the cause. if you need a new computer you can get them on ebay for around $180. they take about 20 minutes to replace.... very easy..... on the passenger side firewall in the engine compartment.... disconnect battery, remove antifreeze holder, unplug 3 plugs to the computer and remove computer from firewall.... install is the reverse..
    good luck
    Funny, i purchased gas yesterday and my engine light went off I must of clicked it well. i'm going to have to look further into this. But I'm also have some electrical isses as well. dash light are going nuts.
  • urgman1urgman1 Member Posts: 1
    Please help! I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that just had the power booster go (second one in 2 years) While waiting for the new power booster to come in the car sat for a few days without being started. When we started it to get the power booster put in we noticed none of the gauges were working and it seemed like the power steering wasn't either. As I said earlier this is the second power booster we have had to put into the vehicle in 2 years, it has roughly 170k miles on it. We have since replaced the power booster and let the truck run for a while and driven it up and down the road thinking that with all the moisture while the truck was sitting that was why the gauges were not working. We just unhooked the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Now the gauges are working but now the headlights, stero lights, mileage, and windows are not working. It is a straight 6 '99 and I have noticed that it does not shift well, I have to let off the gas so the car will go into the next gear. When it starts it revs up really loud. Obviously from this post you can tell I am clueless about cars! We have checked all the fuses and they are fine. I am wondering if there is a bigger problem with the truck that could caused the power booster to go again (replaced power booster because when you pressed on the break a loud hissing noise would come from the break) Any advice would be appreciated as at this point I am considering if fixing the truck is worth it...