Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7 Electrical Problems

mattjinmattjin Member Posts: 3
We bought a 2007 XL7 two weeks ago. The second day we had the car the battery was dead. Had it replaced and then the charging system was not reading over 12.3 volts while running. Replaced the alternator but the car still ranges from 12.3 to 14.2 volts while running or idling. Last Saturday the front control stopped working. Could not change the radio, a/c or any other centrally located controls. We had a 2004 XL7 and it was great. Our vehicle was manufactured Nov of 2006 so it was one of the first out, anyone else have electrical bugs? Oh yeah, I almost forgot that the speakers pop like something is grounding out everytime we open the doors. I ran a Suzuki Motorcycle dealership for almost 10 years and have never seen anything this random in the powersports world. The dealer said he has replaced batteries in 3 other new XL7's. Did I get the only XL7 with Gremlins?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    still ranges from 12.3 to 14.2 volts while running

What voltage were you expecting?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mattjinmattjin Member Posts: 3
    I was told by the service department at two Suzuki dealerships (one local one in Florida)that the running voltage should never drop below 13.5 when running even at idle. I can say that when the voltage monitor drops below 12.8 the car starts acting a little wierd, meaning idle gets jumpy and the car stumbles upon takeoff from a light. We have tried turning everything off but it doesn't make a difference. I have to believe the alternator is working correctly but there is something wrong in the ODB or other electrical component that is telling the car the battery is charging but in fact is not. The vehicle is currently being looked at and hopefully we well find something out soon.
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    Good luck with it. We have a 2007 that is about the same vintage. No issues yet. I also have a 2002, and I have seen similar voltage fluctuations on it. I would expect to see fluctuations since the alternator is alway adjusting its out put, and the load placed on the system changes all of the time, as well. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Regards,

Ivan
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    The new XL-7 is basically a Chevrolet Equinox/Pontiac Torrent. Shares alot of components and probably alot of their problems.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Actually, the XL-7 designers used the Equinox (Theta) platform as a starting point to take advantage of its safety, steering and suspension features, but there the similarity ends.

The engine is built at the Suzuki plant in Sagara Japan based on GM's aluminum V-6 used in the Cadillac CTS. The platform, while similar to Equinox, is stiffer, longer, and a skosh wider to accomodate a third row of seats. (Note: GM now only owns about 3% of Suzuki stock).

It is assembled in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada.

I don't own one, but I am in the market for a new vehicle, and this one is quite intriguing. :shades:
  • 650spx650spx Member Posts: 48
    Not to split hairs but the engine is pure suzuki and is not based on anything. Gm pruchesed it from suzuki. It is 100% [non-permissible content removed] all gm did was pay the bill.
  • hmusgrovehmusgrove Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 xl7 with 13,000 miles. Like the car but dont like the electrical computer system.
    One night we were out in the car and all dashboard systems, radio, thermostat and heating went out. Stop in a station, shut the car down and started it up again a few mnts later. It worked fine. Its like Windows having problems with your computer----- "Hit Alt --Ctrl --- and Delete". Sometimes if someone is sitting in the passenger seat the air bag sensor light stays at off position. I saw something on tv a week ago about other car brands having the same problem so they did a recall. No recall on the suzuki. Its the same set-up and system other cars are using. I would check to see if other cars are having the same problem and they had recalls on this. Since all car manufacturers are using each others technology and parts it could happen.

Is anyone else having the same problem.

Thanks
  • kenpayne53kenpayne53 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a '04 XL-7, 63k miles, passenger airbag light came on and stayed on whether seat was occupied or not. Took it to the dealer. He said the sensor in the seat frame goes bad. I asked how much the sensor was, expecting something like a micro-switch. He said no such thing, whole seat frame has to be replaced, $1300. That was last month, I've done nothing to it yet. I'm thinking I may take the seat apart and check it out myself, dirt, loose connection? Local Mech. won't touch it due to liability issues. Another issue: clock/temp blinking, won't reset. I suspect the computer? Another issue: clicker (remote door lock/unlock) stopped working, took it in. The dealer said if the little sensors that detect the doors being closed get jammed up, or dirty, the clicker won't work. I took rubber covers off of each one and 3 out of 5 not working. Sprayed with wd40 and that solved the problem.
  • hmusgrovehmusgrove Member Posts: 2
    Ok I'm glad Iam not the only one having this problem. $1300. Forget it. I think I'm going to wait for a recall on it. I hope you get your other problems resolved. Do you think that if the front seat thinks there is no one sitting in the car and god forbid you have a crash the air bag wont deploy? I hope not.

Thanks again.
    Hill
  • kenpayne53kenpayne53 Member Posts: 2
    I think that's the case, the airbag would not deploy, but I will do more research and maybe it's something simple...yeah right. I agree, $1300, forget it.
    Vehicles are so technically advanced now from when I was a kid tinkering with cars, It's just amazing. I guess the good side is that they are much more dependable, but when something goes wrong, a person has to get a second mortgage to fix the darn things.
    Good luck on yours too.

Ken
  • lnockerlnocker Member Posts: 2
    I have had mine in the shop 3 times in the past year. I'm taking it in again tomorrow. You just don't know what, if anything, electrical is going to work. Radio, air, tire pressure, airbags, stableization, brakes, anything with sound could black out at any moment. Then you wake up one morning and nothing works. You have to have it jumped to start it.
    What a joke! I wish more than anything I'd never purchased this nightmare.
  • reachjreachj Member Posts: 4
    ok.... We tried new battery, new alternator, new starter: turned out to be:...... loose groundwire...... they fixed it and problem solved after all these months and ALL that money!! good luck everybody
  • lnockerlnocker Member Posts: 2
    Well, they kept my car for 6 days and can't find anything wrong with it. Pretty much just told me to bad. When I said it sounded like a computer issue he said no way. Then he told me he didn't open up a ticket and wouldn't make note of them even having the vehicle there because it was back with the same issues. Seems to me they don't want it turned in as a lemon. I've got a call into suzuki to demand they give me detailed info on what they did or did not do. And I'm filing the lemon paperwork tomorrow.
    Did they specifically check for loose ground wire? It took MONTHS and MONTHS to finally fix mine. Thsi was AFTER they recommended new battery, new alternator, new starter: Loose ground wire fixed the problem....
    By ALL means call the Customer Relations department. I spoke with Cathy. Perhaps if enough people call with same issue they will recall .....

It is in Brea, California if that helps....
  • tealpower21tealpower21 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my 07 XL7 in Nov 06. Loved it so much. Still did until Wed a week ago when it would not start after I put gas into it. The check engine light came on the day before. Finally got it started and took it to the dealer. It was covered under my paid for extended warranty. (68000 miles) Got it back this past Thurs. ($1400) Drove it Fri and it did the same thing and the check engine light came on again. So they have it again. I just pray they actually fix it this time.

Also notice a sand paper sound coming from steering wheel and the air conditioner makes a funny gurgling noise.
  • cliffordrcliffordr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XL-7 suzuki the ac light is flashing while it is on . Any ideas?
  • marymcguiremarymcguire Member Posts: 3
    Our break lights come on when car is sitting in our driveway.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It sounds like one of your switches is stuck or broken.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • btcookebtcooke Member Posts: 1
    our 2004 XL-7 has a open door indicator light that does not go off...we already had it fixed once and now its back on agaon..dealer said it has something to do with the rear door indicator , fixed it and it lasted one month and its on again...also the overhead lights stay on...HELP!!I am wondering when it qualifies as a lemon.
  • tealpower21tealpower21 Member Posts: 2
    I posted last June with problems with not starting when I put gas in it. They finally (after 2 months) fixed it but would not give me an invoice of what was done. They said done, dont worry about it. I do not ever want to take it back to that dealer again but it's my only one for 200 miles. I got in it yesterday and started it and the air would not blow at all. The air/heat panel was dead. I noticed the outside temp gauge also was blank with 3 small dashes. I cut it off and re-started. It came on. I am wondering if this is next to go. Unfortunately I was told by an attorney to be a lemon it had to be taken to dealer the first year and not fixable. I will hopefully be trading her in soon for a new, never Suzuki, model!
  • gaumondgaumond Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I had the same problem with my XL-7 (2007 JLX Video system Canadian version of the Limited US version) around 36000 km (20k miles), last year. It took 3 times at the dealer to fix the problem. The symptoms was, drained battery, not starting, when running the entire cluster was turning off plus radio and dash accessories turning off. The last time it goes to the dealer it stay there for 40 days. The dealer wasn't able to diagnose the problem and they involved the Suzuki branch in Toronto. They finally found the problem and it was comming from the radio system. Inbuilt in the radio, there is a module controling the engine injection system and many other vital system as the charging system. If the radio is removed from the car the engine isn't starting. They changed the radio and it fix the problem. Since then, the problem is gone and never reappear again. I am now at 83000 km (around 52k miles) and I am very happy of my car.

I hope this will help you solving your problem.
  • patt6patt6 Member Posts: 3
    talked to all the dealers in Tennessee nobody seems to know anything. Do you know how to contact the dealership that fixed you up. I can't find a radio for mine.
    thanks -patt6-
  • cmaskingcmasking Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 just started doing this too. I had noticed it a few times last summer. But this summer has been so hot that I run it more and more. I've seen the blinking lots over the last week.

The strangest thing happened last night. After driving for about 30 minutes, I made a sharp right turn and water (odorless, colorless) leaked all over my right foot near the gas pedal! It wasnt a lot, but it definitely startled me.

I had used the windshield washer fluid to clean off some dust about 15 minutes before it happened but It had never leaked before (even with rain) so I'm assuming it has something to do with the A/C. So strange.
  • tonyalttonyalt Member Posts: 6
    Did you ever find out what the problem was? Mine has been doing this for 50k miles, I just leave it running when I put gas in it. My mechanic (not a dealer) says the computer says engine misfire. Thinks it might be a cracked hose inside the fuel tank sending air to fuel injection which might make sense since air is let in when removing the fuel cap. Took me 12 tries to get it started the other day and mechanic was with me, that's when he noticed air coming in. Will be taking it in as soon as I can coordinate an empty tank and open slot for work on it. Mine has over 121k miles on it. My windshield leaks too when it rains ..living in Florida we HARDLY ever get rain, ha. Just waiting for a rock to hit it good and hard one day to get the thing replaced.
  • gummy1gummy1 Member Posts: 2
    My sensor reads at 14.4 all the time when running but when i turn on my stereo my lights begin to flicker and i found out that the alternator in the XL 7 they under rated them so i put a bigger one in and it has worked and been good ever since.
  • msvramirezmsvramirez Member Posts: 1
    I know this is late. lol Did they ever find what the problem was? My car was having trouble starting after I put gas in it and it turned out it was the purge valve under the hood. They replaced it and it was fine. BUT then i started having another problem. At times it will not start and at times it will. It has to sit with hours in between. I suspect something electrical. First the dash lights started dimming while driving and then going back to normal. Then I started getting messages in dashboard such as: Service Engine Soon, Service Air Bag Soon, Service Tire Monitor System. And when Im driving all of the gauges go to zero and after few seconds or minutes they go back to normal. They have yet to find the cause of this new problem. I'll be taking it back to dealer and leaving it there and hopefully they'll be able to figure it out.
  • msz3msz3 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: i can start the my 2007 xl7 and the radio and the heat/air doesn't have power, my blinker makes alot of noise especially when turning, it does a loud clicking sound or/and the blinker is very loud. I have to turn it off then start the suv again. sometimes it take a few times for it to start up right, without the noise in the blinker or with power in the radio or heat/air blower. :confuse:
  • dawn91dawn91 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem exactly. I had them check it they said they count find anything wrong. It happens every now and then.
  • dickdiditdickdidit Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Please contact me regarding the problems you are having. This has been going on with my XL7 since it was brand new. I have it in the shop now and they believe it is the ground cable that goes from the battery to the body of the vehicle. It is defective.

dickdidit@earthlink.net
  • steve445steve445 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 xl7. 6 months after purchasing it, the dealership closed down. The closeset one is over 1 hour away. It is not even a dealership, just the service department that is not open when you go. We are have trouble with our brake lights now. They will not come on when brake is applied. The lights come on when setting security system and the top light works. But no luck on the brake lights. Has anyone out there had the same issue and how was it fixed. Thanks.
  • jmeadows1281jmeadows1281 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 XL7 and I have had this problem. Car kept going dead and would jump it off and go get the battery tested, always the same results; Battery tested fine/working and the Alternator was fine/working. Finally, before taking a long road trip paid almost $200 dollars for the battery and installation at Pep Boys(which was the cheapest carrier of the battery) and car has not yet went dead. I have however noticed the same thing with the voltage readings while driving ranging from the low 12 volts to 14.2 volts. I am confused with that. I have also had the same problem with the A/C controls not working. One time the a/c was cold went to turn up the temp and wouldn't work, tried turning the blower from auto to a lower blower speed and wouldn't work and then finally tried changing where the air would blow till I could pull over and restart the car and it wouldn't work. Just ended up suffering thru. Then on another occasion got in the car turned it on and the A/C started blowing out Max Heat from the vents and everything worked but the temp selector, I just don't know what to do. I have never had a problem with my radio yet. I am now having problems with my Service Air Bad light coming on, My Service traction control light and Service stability control light coming on this have triggered my ABS light to come on. Not sure if the ABS light is something separate also messed up or if its tied to one of the other lights coming on. All these lights coming on have occurred within a two day period(today and yesterday). I have noticed that the lights come on when cranking the car for the first time of the day, and after sitting for a while, but when I went driving for a good distance and get out somewhere and then return and crank the car that these lights are no longer on. I am over this car. The air bag problem has been since buying the car, and now with these new problems I dont know what to do anymore. This has been the most expensive car to maintain between the ridiculously/continuously worsening fuel economy and premature repairs for a car of its age/mileage. Can anyone shed a little light on my problem and send it my way??
  • jmeadows1281jmeadows1281 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 XL7 and I have this problem. Car kept going dead and would jump it off and go get the battery tested, always the same results; Battery tested fine/working and the Alternator was fine/working. Finally, before taking a long road trip paid almost $200 dollars for the battery and installation at Pep Boys(which was the cheapest carrier of the battery) and car has not yet went dead. I have however noticed the same thing with the voltage readings while driving ranging from the low 12 volts to 14.2 volts. I am confused with that. I have also had the same problem with the A/C controls not working. One time the a/c was cold went to turn up the temp and wouldn't work, tried turning the blower from auto to a lower blower speed and wouldn't work and then finally tried changing where the air would blow till I could pull over and restart the car and it wouldn't work. Just ended up suffering thru. Then on another occasion got in the car turned it on and the A/C started blowing out Max Heat from the vents and everything worked but the temp selector, I just don't know what to do. I have never had a problem with my radio yet. I am now having problems with my Service Air Bad light coming on, My Service traction control light and Service stability control light coming on this have triggered my ABS light to come on. Not sure if the ABS light is something seperate also messed up or if its tied to one of the other lights coming on. All these lights coming on have occured within a two day period(today and yesterday). I have noticed that the lights come on when cranking the car for the first time of the day, and after sitting for a while, but when I went driving for a good distance and get out somewhere and then return and crank the car that these lights are no longer on. I am over this car. The air bag problem has been since buying the car, and now with these new problems I dont know what to do anymore. This has been the most expensive car to maintain between the ridiculously/continuously worsening fuel economy and premature repairs for a car of its age/mileage. Can anyone shed a little light on my problem and send it my way??
  • sadsuzuk2sadsuzuk2 Member Posts: 1
    : I own a 2008 Suzuki XL7 Premium AWD. I bought it new. The tighten gas cap light came on repeatedly starting at 40,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and he "just tightened the cap" and told me that if it did it again, I would have to purchase another gas cap. The notification appeared frequently after that, so I purchased another cap (from Schuck's) and they reset the memory for me. That lasted all of 1 day, so I called the dealer. He is some 50 miles away and told me to bring the car back in. I made an appointment and they told me they would have to keep the car causing me to rent another vehicle to get back home. After the second day, I called. They told me there must be a vacuum leak somewhere...but, had not found the actual source. On the fourth day, I went to pick up my car and they said it was "fixed". Two days later the same thing happened. Now, I just drive the car with the engine light on and am thinking about trading the car in. The dealer tells me that there are several waranty issues and it might or might not be a covered item to fix. I am certainly perplexed. Does anyone have any ideas? I really hate to purchase another car at this time. I have 45,000 miles on my XL7 and other than that no real problems at all. Got 23 mph on my last road trip, so that is acceptable, but I'm quite worried about that engine light staying on and the "tighten gas cap" warning that comes and goes while I'm driving......
  • 2bconcerned2bconcerned Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Daughter has the 2007 XL-7 and has now put the third battery in within the past 5 years. She bought the vehicle new. Has had everything tested, alternator, starter, etc., and nothing found. Any answers would be appreciated as it is still under warranty. Thanks
  • unluckyduckunluckyduck Member Posts: 1
    I realize this is late, but I seem to be having more frequent issues with my XL-7 that I have had since new in 2007. I find that if I have an issue with the heating system, I pull the fuse for that system, wait 20 seconds, then replace the fuse, and everything works fine again. I have done this for the following systems in this car. The radio, the hvac system, stability control, the ABS system, and the airbag system. This fix usually lasts about a year, and they all seem to happen right about the same time. Usually when one fails, it kills my battery, then I jump the car, look at what errors I have like stability control, or airbags, pull that fuse, replace it after 20 seconds, and the car runs normally for another several months.... till the battery dies again for no reason. then it is another system that needs to be reset usually. It is no fun at all. Now that I have finished paying it off, it is time for a different model, probably older, as I hate :mad: all this new computerized stuff, it is the issue.
  • pms2pms2 Member Posts: 1
    Just replace the light bulb.This is an easy fix.
  • youWantItWhenyouWantItWhen Member Posts: 3
    reachj said:

ok.... We tried new battery, new alternator, new starter: turned out to be:...... loose groundwire...... they fixed it and problem solved after all these months and ALL that money!! good luck everybody

LMBO ROTF ... Chevy has been using the frame as a ground return for decades. It is stupid but cheap. As soon as the vehicle gets a few years on it (and rust), the electrical system goes screwy and requires lots of troubleshooting (good for dealer, bad for your checkbook). Now you know why following a car and noticing that one taillight is out but when they hit the brakes it lights up and the other goes out ... it's that stupid floating ground through the chassis design. LOL
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's right. With poor grounding the voltage will seek a ground wherever it can find one.