Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Engine Ping, Detonation, Preingition issues

ping3ping3 Member Posts: 11
There are a few of us on this board that are having this engine ping, detonation, preignition issue/ noise from our vans. All models! The problem is that Honda can't fix it or does not know how to fix it so they are doing nothing. Read below for how catastrophic this issue is. I need to know who else is having this issue.

It's definitely not " normal ". My van (07 Touring) does it on initial acceleration, just before and after the vans shift points at 50km/h(30mph) and 70km/h(45mph) under light acceleration, and up hills especially when the engine is hot.

The knock sensor is supposed to prevent this from happening.

The problem is real! Honda Canada and my dealer said, after working on it for 3 weeks, that it is indeed a pre-ignition/ detonation noise. They don't no why it's doing it, and they don't know how to fix it!!!!

The problem is defined by Wikipedia in 2 ways but the result are the same :

Knocking (also called pinging)-

Colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when air/fuel mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. The engineered combusting process ceases, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressures increase catastrophically. It can range from hardly noticeable to complete engine destruction.

Detonation or pre-ignition-
The fuel/air mixture is normally ignited slightly before the point of maximum compression to allow a small time for the flame-front of the burning fuel to expand throughout the mixture so that maximum pressure occurs at the optimum point. The flame-front moves at roughly 33.5 m/second (110 feet/second) during normal combustion[citation needed]. It is only when the remaining unburned mixture is heated and pressurized by the advancing flame front for a certain length of time that the detonation occurs. It is caused by an instantaneous ignition of the remaining fuel/air mixture in the form of an explosion. The cylinder pressure rises dramatically beyond its design limits and if allowed to persist detonation will damage or destroy engine parts.

Consequences of Knocking or Pre-ignition
Engine knocking has disastrous consequences for the engine, since it leads to the catastrophical wear of the combustion chamber walls, through particle wear for moderate knocking, to welding for serious knocking. This is due to the contact between those walls and high temperature gases resulting from the unwanted explosion. The processes also lead to a 'knocking' noise for the engine, that give its name to the phenomenon.

A big problem us owners are having is finding enough of us to recognize our vans have this problem and to make Honda do something about it - I think they should buy the vans back and do the research on them that is required to fix all of them.

Comments

• ac2000ac2000 Member Posts: 36
    i have an 05 EXL-RES and i am experiencing exactly the same problem as you described. The thing is that i have to roll down the front passanger-side window to hear the metallic noise. I took my van to the dealers several times (different ones) for this specific issue but still no fix/reprod.
  • ed1973ed1973 Member Posts: 9
    i have a 1995 Odysey with the same engine noise and a whisthling noise before transmission change ,espiecially in lower gear 1-2 please post answers if any thanks in advance ed.
  • mommobile2mommobile2 Member Posts: 7
    I'm so glad (sort of) to find your post. I have a 2007 EX-L - have had it for 10 months. For several months now (most of its life), it has had this knock. I can best describe it as sounding like a 1978 Bonneville! It just sounds like an old car with a rattly engine - not how I want my new car to sound. It happens mostly around 30-40 mph, especially if I am driving in that range and let off the gas and then re-accelerate. It also happens on initial acceleration from a stop.

I've mentioned it to the dealer on several visits for other issues/oil changes. Last time, a mechanic tried several different tweaks (though I don't know exactly what) and it didn't really help. But yesterday, I took it in just to have the knock looked at again since we're nearing the end of the first year. I was basically dismissed. First they couldn't even hear it until I took the mechanic for a ride. They told me that it was the knock sensor "doing its job" (CREATING knock, I wonder?!). It was normal. They would call the Techline to see if they had any insight and get back to me, but there was probably nothing to be done with it.

I'm also interested to read up a little on knock issues because I did try a tank of premium gas per the recommendation of the mechanic last time and it sounded better for about half the tank. I thought that meant it didn't fix it (maybe wasn't a knock/octane issue) but now I'm seeing that this is common when the tank gets low.

Anyway, please keep posting about your progress with Honda. I don't intend to let this rest at "normal" but I also don't relish the idea of pushing this and becoming the crazy lady that keeps coming back for the "sound" in her van.
    an update...The day after I initially posted about this, I got a call back from my service rep at Honda. They had called the Techline and found out that there is a service bulletin out for Pilots, Odys and Ridgelines. I can't remember all of the ins and outs of it, but they ordered me some new parts (I think the A pipe is part of what they're doing) and they're repairing it for me on Monday. I'm happy they're at least trying something, but disturbed to see this popping up as a more common problem - and not all that optimistic that they are going to make the noise go away.

I will post in the new forum area specific to this problem and will update if whatever they do helps (with more detail on what it is they're doing).

Oh, and on replacing the knock sensor, they said that the knock sensor was doing its job (and might actually be the reason for this "normal" sound - ha!). They did mention some indicator that would be tripped if there was a problem with the knock sensor and that indicator is showing that the sensor is fine. So they ruled that out as a solution.
  • ac2000ac2000 Member Posts: 36
    please get a copy of the TSB and post it here so that i can take it to my dealer. thanks
  • silverexsilverex Member Posts: 8
    get a honda dealer to do tsb 07-028. it sould take care of the ping!!
    ac2000, sorry to be so long in getting back on this. I had immediately scanned the service bulletin for you but could not for the life of me figure out how to post it on this forum (cumbersome forum). Anyway, I took the car in for the service bulletin fix and the car did the knocking as I drove it out of the dealership from the repair (and added a new creak in the back slider door!). No fix. And it's just worse again now. It's time for an oil change and I'll be back on them again to try to find a solution. This is annoying! If anyone else finds the answer, please post it.

Incidentally, the bulletin was the one silverex referenced (did that work for you silverex?). Bummer. I would definitely give it a try but no luck here!
  • austintaustint Member Posts: 1
    To characterize the problem:

1. Slight engine knocking at low speed (35-40 miles) up hill.
    2. Hears it more clearly from from passenger window.
    3. Premium gas can reduce the knocking sound level but can never eliminate the knocking completely.
  • mikeitmikeit Member Posts: 2
    My Story: The reported noise arose after 15 months of ownership, very noticeable on right side of vehicle (passenger window down). I, too, was very worried about pinging and the potential damage to engine. Put high octane into tank to see if there would be a difference, but noted no change.

Brought to dealer to get the ping, exhaust drone, and couple other issues fixed. Got car back with all problems fixed! Repair documents recommended that the TSB07-028 parts get ordered to rectify the pinging noise. Service adviser stated that they will call when the parts come in. Apparently they did something to the van to fix the problem while they had it, because I have not heard the ping/knock/chirp since the repairs a few months ago.

When the problem first started, I suspected that the problem may have been the belt (it's on the right side of the vehicle, right?). There is actually a stitch line in the belt where the ends are joined. That section was looking ragged and worn despite the 17K miles on the vehicle. When I got the vehicle back from dealer, it appeared to have a brand new belt even though the repair documents said nothing about replacing the belt. A little odd if the dealer did that, but its not making the noise now!

And they have not called me about the parts coming in on TSB07-028, but I don't think I need them, since it sounds fine.
  • garygary Member Posts: 39
    OK...I've searched everywhere for the TSB 07-028 but cannot find it. Can someone direct me to it? I really appreciate it!
  • mtm12345mtm12345 Member Posts: 6
    My 2006 Odyssey LX has the same knocking on a warm engine starting at 20mph uphill. Started doing it at around 14k miles. I put premium in it and can't hear it now.
  • pingpingpingpingpingping Member Posts: 16
    My 2007 Odyssey is having the Ping issues. I took it to the dealer and no answers. They swear at Honda World in California that it is a soft ware issue. I will not stop pushing this issue with the dealer, I just hope that this forum can gain enough mommentum to force Honda to do something. I feel cheated. My van sounds terrible. California has a great Lemon Law. After a few more attempts at the dealer and I guess I'll try that.
    I have the same problem. I have had my van for less than 3 months and it hurts to hear it ping so much. I was told by the dealer to try Chevron to no avail. Keep the word going so we can get some resolution.
  • mikeitmikeit Member Posts: 2
    Had seen it, had read it, but cannot find it now either. Bring this TSB number up at the dealer - would hope they can pull it up.

My ping was fixed and is still fixed after several months. Still don't know what they did to fix it as I am still waiting for them to call about getting the TSB07-028 part. I'm just glad it was not truly pinging. Really think it was the serpentine belt.
    I thought my ping was gone after I put premium in it, but it is still there. Harder to hear in the cold weather. I also get around 15mpg- 16mpg which seems pretty low. I don't know if these things are related.
    Went to dealer today to talk about the noise. The service person at the desk knew nothing and tried in vain to search for the bulletin. Luckily one of the mechanics happened by and he knew all about it. He said there is a bulletin out (referred to in this forum). I said, I had heard it doesn't really work, and he replied that "It doesn't, but you might as well do it anyway." He said it does help, but often doesn't make it go away. He said a guy came in twice with it being really loud, and he was able to reduce the noise with the bulletin fix. He also said the courtesy van they use to cart customers around does it. There is recently added a new fix in the bulletin so they now have two things they do that require special order parts for both of them. The new (i think) fix is "the A pipe under the engine, it has an inner pipe inside it that breaks its spot weld and rattles." He said he stuck a "crow bar under it and could feel the rattle. I asked him if there was anything in this noise related to Pinging or engine knock that could damage the engine and he said it had nothing to do with that. So I am relieved, at least until I find out that this was all wrong and the engine needs replacement at 40k.
    If there were a physical pipe with a spot weld broken Honda would jump for joy. Then, they would have something to fix. A pipe can be replaced. Don't you see. If it were merely an "A" pipe they would replace the whole piece and fixed. Don't let them convince you this is not harming your van. Their job is to make $$$$$. As long as they keep us confused, they can keep us separate. Separate, we have no power. My case has been accepted by a lemon law attorney here in California. I don't know what will come of this. But I will feel better knowing that Honda will at minimum have to explain this problem to a professional.
  • fiend_bearfiend_bear Member Posts: 18
    I am a new 2008 Honda Odyssey owner and I have noticed the engine knocking/ping almost from day one. It is as described by others in this forum - at low rpms, upon initial acceleration, more noticeable up hills, etc.. Does not sound like an exhaust pipe weld issue. Sounds like typical engine knock to me, akin to selecting too high a gear in a manual transmission car. I was a weekend mechanic for a time, so I know the sound of engine knock when I hear it. For all I know, they all do it, but I seriously doubt it. The average housewife probably would not notice, but any car guy would notice it in a second. Now it makes sense for a manual to knock upon acceleration from a high gear at low rpm, but not a new Honda with an automatic transmission.

I have not brought it in to have it checked out yet, but after reading the comments on this thread I am not very encouraged. Can you guys can provide an update on the status of your Odysseys? We bought this car hoping to keep it for many years. However, there's no way I'm keeping this car more than the three year warranty period if this problem can't be fixed. In fact, I'll be tempted to dump it after one year (thanks to its high resale values).
    Hey fiend bear,
    Guess I'm the "average housewife" who did notice this as it has bugged me from the beginning and my husband thought I was nuts (though now he doesn't). Anyway, I don't know if anyone is getting anywhere with this, but I'm looking into the lemon law after 4 tries by the dealership with no end in sight. I think I'll take it back one more time and then start the process. Curious to know if anyone is having any other luck.
    Hi mommobile2,

Kind of the reverse for us - I noticed it first, but my wife definitely hears it now too. We're not ones to complain about strange noises either, but engine knock is of course not wise to disregard.

I saw only one post where the owner had the issue resolved. If I'm not mistaken, I think they replaced the "serpentine" belt on that Odyssey. What was the service bulletin fix that you tried?

It really does sound like a timing issue to me. I used to time my cars just shy of knocking for maximum punch and would more often than not just do it by ear. A slight change in timing can cause considerable knocking though. Would also like to hear from others about this issue, so I can steer the Service dept in the right direction. Thanks!
    Don't let Honda cheat you out of your hard earned money. I am still awaiting judgement in my lemon law case here in CA. I have had my van in 5 times. Each time they have repalced a part and each attempt has failed to correct this malfunction. I promise to post the disposition of my case or any fix to the ping issue as I will continue to take my van in for correction. Honda wants you to get tired and give up. I know answers come slow when posting in this manner but please continue to monitor this site.
  • ping3ping3 Member Posts: 11
    Hey all.

I'm the person that started this forum thread and I'm regretfully pleased that all of you are in this situation as well, as I glad I'm not alone in this! My van has been back to the dealer many time since but still no fix and it doesn't matter which grade or type of fuel I use(92 octane only makes it ping less). To this day from my first post I have been fighting to have Honda take the van back and give me a new one as mine is only a lease. I felt in the beginning that I was doing Honda a favour as the vehicle will eventually go back to them. Now I really don't care. I do all my services every 4,000 miles using only Honda parts and keep all my receipts so in the end when this lemon goes back to them, I can say that I did everything right to prevent any user/operator damage and it is their fault!!! Unfortunately I don't have any good news for those of you who own your vans :( . I hope that those of you who are bringing this to court have the best of luck and we get some resolution for this.I will keep you all posted if I have any news to report and.......
    Thanks again for joining this thread.

Ping3
  • pooh875pooh875 Member Posts: 9
    I TOOK MY 2007 EX-L IN AND THEY REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION AND ADJUSTED THE VALVES I TOOK IT THE 2ND TIME AND THEY TOLD ME MAYBE IT WAS THE TYPE OF GAS I WAS PUTTING IN THE VAN SO THEY TOLD ME TO RUN IT OUT TO EMPTY A FEW TIMES AND REFUEL IT WITH A HIGHER GRADE I DID THAT AND THE ENGINE STILL PINGS I TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER THEY TOLD ME THEY CAN'T HEAR A PING SO I HAD TO TAKE A MECHANIC WITH ME ON A RIDE AND HE HEARD IT SO THEY CHANGED 16 DIFFERENT THINGS ON MY ENGINE AND STILL THE ENGINE PINGS SO I CALLED AMERICAN HONDA AND TOLD THEM THE PROBLEM THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT SO I CALLED MY LAWYER AND FAX HIM ALL MY SERVICE RECORDS AND HE TOLD ME I HAVE A GOOD CASE SO ILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPEND
    I think the engine ping is a bigger problem than Honda will admit. I don't think it is confined to Odysseys either. I noticed a new Honda Pilot with ping yesterday too, probably with the exact same engine. Ours isn't too bad on our 2008 EX. Mid grade gas definitely helps, but it definitely pings. I think Honda really screwed up somewhere on this engine. There are probably tens of thousands out there with ping, but the untrained ear would not have a clue and think it is "normal". Besides with the windows up or stereo on or chattering on the cell phone, it would not be noticeable, even to the trained ear.

I don't think we will keep our EX for more than 2 years and will never buy a Honda again. With our new 2008 EX, ping is just one of several issues. We have never owned a car with such POOR initial build quality. These vans are built in Alabama and it SHOWS! Steering column knock, wheel alignment, rattles & squeaks galore, bad outdoor temperature sensor, horribly uncomfortable seats - all with only 2,800 miles on it! We will sell while still under warranty & let someone else deal with the burnt valves.
  • gavanmomgavanmom Member Posts: 32
    Thank you all! I knew that I wasn't crazy....like the Honda service people made me feel. I've posted on the Ody transmission forum many times, I have an 07 EX that is on it's third new transmission in less than a year. We've had the engine ping since new, now we just have a double shifting jerking tranny and the engine ping. Our third! There is a relationship between the Honda crappy transmissions and the engine ping, ours get's worse the more the tranny messes up. I'm also the "average soccer mom" that happens to be married to the dual engineer and auto buff so he concurs that the sounds and characteristics of our Ody are horrible. We've filed for the lemon law and are awaiting our arbitration hearing here in Georgia.

We have a 99 Ford windstar with 140K miles now and had to do an update to the engine software for the ping that it had.

Honda says our noise is the torque converter making noise..... obviously it converts tourqe into engine pings and transmission jerks!

I will keep you all informed of our lemon law case. If we make it there. This is our first and last Honda van.
  • pcullenpcullen Member Posts: 11
    Hi. I have an 07 Odyssey EX-L that was pinging and clunking over bumps. The pinging was actually a faulty intermediate shaft heat shield, TB 07-028. The interesting thing was when I called American Honda, they said my vin # was not associated with that TB, but my dealer said the part was defective. So far, I don't hear the pinging anymore. If it returns, I'll reply back. As far as the clunking from the right front end when going over bumps, there was a lack of lubrication in the steering shaft spline down near the rack. Can you believe that? I tempted to believe the quality control at the assembly plant in Alabama is lacking. The other problem the dealer fixed was that the rear disc brakes were warped - and they were that way from the factory.
    I know the TSB 07-028 well. I think that Honda tried that fix on just about all of our vans in the beginning. The noise that we are hearing is from inside the engine. It is most noticeable on my 07 Ody Touring after a 20-30 minute drive or longer, but especially after a longer drive followed by a 10-15 minute stop and then driven again. This is when the engine is at full operating temperature and the heat of the actual engine components are "hot". This is known as going through a "hot soak" period. Mine pings up any hills on light to moderate acceleration and at the transmissions 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shift points of the transmission; after the previous mentioned criteria has been met. It can also be reproduced by placing the van in drive with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas, by holding the brake very firmly and slowly increasing the engine RPM up to the "stall" speed and not letting the van move. (ONLY do this in a safe area with no obstacles around you!!!) The longer you hold this exercise the worse the pinging/detentation noise gets. This is because you are simulating the load of the engine going up a hill. As an automotive technician for almost 19 year now I know what I am talking about. I think that Honda is listening but just not caring enough about us yet. :sick:
    Out of curiosity, what octanes of fuel have you tried? And you're a Honda technician, correct? And Honda is not giving you an explanation? If so, that is really troubling. I just got my van back and haven't had a chance to create the hot soak period, so when I do, I'll let you know what I hear. Do you think the VCM has anything to do with this problem? Have you ever heard of the pinging on non-VCM engines?
    First off I'm not a Honda tech. I was a Chrysler tech for 10 years before I moved to a very busy shop that works on all makes and models. I have tried 87, 89 and 92 octane fuels. All do it, but it does it the least on 92 octane. From what I read on this board and from my Honda dealers is that both the VCM and Non-VCM engines both ping.
    Our non-VCM 2008 EX pings. Higher grade fuel helps, but not enough to really matter. Honda has a real problem on its hands with this engine and so far they are not coming clean. I noticed this ping on a new Pilot with the SAME engine recently! They need to figure this out fast - could be a software fix, but could also be a timing belt issue. No way they will step up to the plate if it's a timing belt issue (too expensive to fix). Either way, we probably are not going to wait for the burnt valves & will sell before the warranty is up unless a fix is found soon.
  • annoyedownerannoyedowner Member Posts: 3
    We are in the same boat as everyone else. We leased a 2007 EX starting last summer and heard the ping within a month of owning it. We have brought in back to our dealer a number of times and have had the same response. They are telling us it's a software issue and the car thinks it is running a higher octane gas so it over sparks to compensate. Honda America has told us it has no effect on the engine. ARE THEY FOR REAL. How can this not have any effect on the engine. We are so frustrated and want to be done with this van. My wife has wanted this vans for a long time and is so dissapointed with it. What ever happened to Honda making quality cars. I am thinking we need to follow the lemon law route with some of the other owners. We just want out of the lease so we can move on to a van that doesn't sound like it's 10 years old and never maintained. For what it's worth we live in PA. :mad:
  • markhamguymarkhamguy Member Posts: 6
    I had a 2002 Odyssey which had the big transmission problem which was listed in the recall but because certain gears were not dark enough, the failed transmission was not under the recall extended warranty (honda canada said it was a different issue.).

so i trade it in for a brand new 2008 Odyssey.
    I too have the ping problem in the way it was described above. acc up a hill causes ping, less ping with ultra 92 octane but the car is rated for the cheap gas (well relatively cheap at todays gas prices).

I also noticed some pretty crappy gear changes. there is always a sudden drop in power while gears are changing and decisions to change gears are bad ones.

My best guess is that compromises were made in the re-engineered transmission to lower the failure rate found in 1999 - 2004 models. lower the stress on the tranny by widening the shift time and dropping power on shifts - making it gentler on the clutch(es)? This is just a guess ofcourse but would help explain the crappy shifting but not the ping problem.

Getting bad fuel economy as well. I did a same trip comparison with a route i took with my 2002 odyssey and found it to be 10 - 15% worse fuel economy on mostly highway. Shooting from the hip it seems that city driving is an even greater discrepancy. EPA ratings are waaaaaaay off.

I owned a 1984 chrysler voyager (the first minivan) and as underpowered as it was (74hp and pulling a trailer) the thing ran and shifted a lot smoother at 10 years old than this brand new Honda does new. (although not nearly as pretty)

I bought a 2008 Accord at the same time (yes i got sick of old cars breaking down and bit the bullet) and the thing is absolutely perfect. So this is definitely not a "Honda is Crap" session but more of a "Honda is having some trouble with their Odysseys - lets see if we can get them to fix it"
  • pingypingy Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I am in the same boat. Pinging, dealer cant hear it. I am in PA as well,
    you are not in West Chester are you? :confuse: :confuse:
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    "Pinging, knocking and detonation are all terms for a condition known as "pre-ignition". That means some of the gas and air mixture is igniting in the cylinder before it's supposed to. And when that extra flame front crashes into the normal flame front (created by the spark plug), you hear a noise, and that noise is pinging.

There are four major causes of pinging. The first three are related to excessive heat.

The first is severe engine overheating. If the engine is running too hot for any reason, the temperature in the cylinders can simply be too high. In that case, some of the mixture can ignite before the spark plug fires just from the intense heat.

The second major cause of pinging is carbon buildup inside the cylinders and on the pistons. When too much carbon collects, it can reduce the size of the cylinders (increasing the compression and temperature of the cylinder contents) and retain excessive heat itself.

The third cause of pinging is a malfunctioning exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. The EGR is supposed to send non-combustible exhaust gas into the cylinders to lower the temperature of the mixture.

How does 800-degree exhaust gas LOWER the temperature in the cylinders? Because it doesn't burn, and it crowds out some of the oxygen that would have burned and made an even hotter flame. And if that EGR is not working properly, the cylinder temperature can be too hot and the engine can ping.

And finally, incorrect ignition timing can cause pinging. The ignition timing determines when the spark plugs fire. And if they're set to fire too early, the stuff will begin to burn too early.

The use of higher-octane gas often makes the pinging stop because it has a higher ignition point. By requiring a higher temperature to make the gasoline burn, you reduce the likelihood of it "pre-igniting" somewhere else in the cylinder.

But premium gas doesn't address the underlying problem. So start by checking the EGR system, the cooling system and the ignition timing. And if none of those things fix it, then you can consider using a higher-octane fuel. " - Jims Performance Automotive.
    I am near West Chester. We purchased Odyssey from Scott. How about you?
  • pingypingy Member Posts: 12
    Yup, scott too.
    I actually called our service guy 3 times and left messages 3 different times, and... he never called me back. I then left an email with the service mgr. and he ignored me too.
    I finally gor the mgr on the phone, and I am waiting to find a time to get it back in.
    What ever happened with you? Have they recognized your problem? Did they offer any solution?
    We are so dissappointed!! we were sure the honda was the way to go. We really looked around too.......
    I have not posted in a while as fighting with Honda through a lemon law attorney is draining. American Honda finally would like to inspect our 2007 Honda odyssey. The Ping is still pinging and I am still feeling cheated by Honda. If they do not rectify this problem I will never own another Honda again. This is outrageous. For Honda to feed my wife and I excuse after excuse. Telling us it was normal. Then admitting the engine is pinging. They used those exact words on paper. Come on Honda. Admit that our vans are faulty and buy them back. My van will be inspected by American Honda @ Honda World in Downey, Ca on the 16th of July. They should have a determination, hopefully, soon after that. I own a 2003 Honda Odyssey that runs better than my faulty 2007. That is one of the reasons we knew for a certainty our van was a lemon. When your brand new van's engine sounds worse than one you have 80,000 miles on, that is just BAD! Never again. As promised, I will continue the fight and post the disposition of my case.
    We are in the same boat. Here is what they are telling us. (this is from Honda Corp) The engine is over sparking because the computer thinks it is running a higher octane gas then what is in it. We only run regular unleaded as specified by Honda and I refuse to put in a higher octane gas. They told us it was a programming issue and that Honda Corp was working on a solution. This has been going on for about 10 months now. We purchased the van last August and in September we heard the ping. Scott Honda has no interest in resolving the issue, we asked to drive another EX Odyssey to see if it made the same noise for but they wouldn't do it.
    I can tell you we have opened a Lemon Law case against this van. We just took it to Roberts Honda in Downingtown just for another pair of eyes on the problem. I am so jaded by this experience with Honda. We owned a Windstar before this van that had the transmission go with 65k miles on it. We new we didn't want to purchase an American Minivan because of quality issues. My wife has always liked the Odessey and it had a good reputation. I think we will try Toyota after this......
    One more thougth. We live in a neighborhood that a lot of people have Odessey's and we are now listening to them ping as they come around the corner. I am interested in hearing if they have had the same run around from Honda. Good Luck and I will keep you posted as to how we make out with the Lemon Law.
    I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM MY LAWYER SENT AMERICAN HONDA A LETTER ASKING THEM TO BUY THE CAR BACK THEY REFUSE TO BUY THE CAR BACK SO MY LAWYER IS FILLING A LAW SUIT AGAINST AMERICAN HONDA.HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN GOING THROUGH YOUR CASE I WANT TO TRADE THE VAN IN BUT MY FRIEND SAY THAT IM LETTING HONDA WIN DO U THINK I SHOULD TRADE THE VAN IN. :lemon:
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    If you have the money to fight it out and realistically think you will win the case then go for it. The less people that don't do anything about it the less likely Honda will make any effort to fix the problem. But, if it means mucho stress and agony just get rid of the van for what fits your needs. Yes by not doing anything about it Honda in a sense wins but it is pointless to make it too personal. You just one among hundreds of thousands and the reality of the situation is Honda cares most about their bottom line then their customers. A trend more and more companies are taking these days.
    My case was accepted by a lemon law attorney, so I will not have to pay for the service as long as I do not sell the vehicle before the case is settled or refuse a fair settlement. If you are having to pay to fight the case, it will only benefit you if you win. My case has been active for about 2-3 months so far. I have been dealing with the issue since October of 2007. I just refuse to be stuck with this piece of junk. I would just return it, but I would be responsible for the attorney's fees. My van is due for inspection (by American Honda) on the 16th of July. I will never buy another Honda if they attempt to stick me with this one.
    All i paid was a $350 court filling fee thats it. I put down $17.000 on this van plus my one year seven months of payments totaling out at $26.405 i drove a total of 35000 miles in a year and seven months the lawyer told me that they will deduct $6000 from my settlement because all the miles i put on the van in a year and they will deduct for the extended warranty and the alarm they put on the van for me thats another $5000, lawyer told me i could cancel my extended warranty and get 1500 bucks back i dont want to do that because if i loose my case i will be with out a warranty i'll keep you updated on my case and good luck on your case. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I took in my 2008 Odyssey the other day to have them look at the pre-ignition problem. Like many of you out there I was experiencing engine knock on hard acc. going up hills - mostly at lower RPM. Problem existed since new and I had it for 3000KM.

They replaced the knock-sensor with an updated version. Said by the service rep to be a known problem with some but not all the newer minivans. Also said that many people may not notice the knock sound because they may not be as "technical". Said it was a good idea to bring it in because the probem may eventually lead to other damage/failure down the road.

I am right now running on 87 octane (a fresh full tank from what was almost empty) and have noticed zero ping. I gave it hell last night by gassing hard - immediately taking off the gas and then gassing hard again. It also appears that acceration is more smooth/constant going up in the rpms. As far as fuel economy is concerned I do not have an answer for you yet but I am optomistic that it will imporve.

The dealership I went to is Roadsport Honda in Scarborough Ontario. I was preparing for a battle and was greeted with a good service rep who was considerably more informed and open than what most would expect.

here is a summary of the service report (in my invoice)

a cust reports pre-ignition noticed. Happens @ lowe rpm's on acceleration. noticed even when brand new. tried higher octane gas - improved slightly but still notices pre-ignition on hard accel from idle.
    Cause: Knock sensor internal fault
    121188 knock sensor (KS)- replace
    part#: 30530-P8F-A01

also
    3870 knock sensor internal fault perform hds scan test = no codes.
    perform bulletin II-4-08. Replace Knock sensr.

the dealership/honda covered the rental and charged nothing for the service. (warranty) good guys - must have helped that the dealership owner was walikng the floor that morning :shades:
    I'VE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM SINCE LAST YEAR MY TRANSMISSION WENT OUT AT 10 MONTHS THEY HAD TO REPLACE THE VALVES THAT STOP THE PINGING FOR A MONTH OR SO I TOOK THE VAN BACK IN THEY TOLD ME MAYBE IT WAS THE TYPE OF FUEL I WAS PUTTING IN THE VAN THEY TOLD ME TO RUN THE TANK TO EMPTY AND TRY A HIGHER GRADE OF FUEL I DID IT AND IT STILL PINGS THEY TOLD ME THAT I NEED TO GET MY FUEL SYSTEM FLUSH OUT AND THAT WILL COST ME ABOUT NINE HUNDRED BUCKS AND IT'S NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY SO I READ MY INVOICE AND IT SAID "WE RAN TEST ON FUEL AND FOUND NO CONTAMINATION " I WAS IN THE DEALER EVERY OTHER WEEKEND THEY RAN ALL KINDS OF TESTS AND NOTHING FOUND SO I SAID FOR GET IT UNTILL IT GOT REAL BAD THE PINGS WERE SO LOUD I TOOK IT BACK IN THEY KEPT THE VAN FOR SEVEN DAYS THEY CHANGED 16 DIFFERENT THINGS ON MY ENGINE INCLUDING THE HEAT SHIELD THE KNOCK SENSOR AND A LOT OF OTHER THINGS SO I WENT ON A TEST DRIVE WITH THE SHOP FOREMAN AND HE COULDN'T HEAR THE PINGS WHEN ME AND MY FRIEND COULD HEAR IT REAL GOOD SO WE WENT BACK TO THE DEALER AND COT ANOTHER SHOP GUY HE TOOK ME TO A PARKING LOT WICH HAD TWO WALLS CLOSE TOGETHER I DROVE THE CAR BETWEEN THE TWO WALL AND THE SHOP GUY HEARD IT REAL GOOD SO THEY TOLD ME THAT THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT THAT I HAD TO WAIT FOR HONDA TO UPDATE THE SENSOR THE SERVICE REPS ARE NICE AT THE DEALER I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THEM OR NORM REEVES HONDA IN CERRITOS CA . :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Sorry to hear that. :( Seems that there had been several mis-diagnosis - each of which caused you hardship. I am sure your service reps would like for this to end as well.

I bet you that if they put the van on a dyno the techs would be better able to hear and troubleshoot the pre-ignition while the engine is under load.

It would be great if a technician would use a probe to see what signal the knock sensor is generating (if any) when a pre-ignition event occurs.

Just a thought - good luck.
  • xinstxinst Member Posts: 9
    Hi Markhamguy,

I'm very glad that there is another person out there in GTA that experienced this problem. I bought my 08 Odyssey from Centre Honda here in Toronto in mid May. My pinging problem is exactly as you have described for yours. I've only started to notice mine at about 1000 km. Right now, it's at 4900 km, and it still pings. I've taken my Ody to the dealership three weeks ago and they admitted the problem, hooked my car to a dyno but could not get any error readings from the computer. They say are still waiting for instructions from Honda Techline as to how deal with it.
    May I ask you if you're sure that the replacement of the Knock Sensor on your Ody has really solved the problem?

Thanks so very much.

Xinst
    It may be too early to tell but before I took it to the dealership it (knock) was there and after it is not there. It may be possible that the knock will come back some day but that day did not come yet. (and hopefully will not ever come).

The computer not logging any errors appears to be a symptom similar to mine. (i would assume that repeated pre-ignition events should be picked-up by the ecu and logged if all was working properly)

The tech should trust his senses more than the computer and enquire why the computer does not hear what he hears on the dyno. (if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck and looks like a duck....)

I am sorry to say that I did not attain a copy of the " Bulletin II-4-08 " to see exactly what the bulletin pertains to. Maybe someone with connections will be able to post the content of that up here.

I will let you and everyone else know if there is any recurrence as well as my fuel milage - before the fix I had a hard time making 500KM on a tank with almost all highway.
    Hi Markhamguy,

Thanks for your prompt response. I eagerly look forward to your reading updates and extend my wishes to your having gotten rid of the ping problem once and for all.

Many thanks.
    Update: the pinging was reduced by the repair of the heat shield, but not elminated. The ping is only heard with the front windows rolled down, especially out of the right side, while accelerating at 15 - 30 mph especially while going up a hill. And it helps to have a reflective object like a wall alongside to amplify the noise. Using regular unleaded. Back to the dealer.
    Yeah, that's precisely the way how I'm able to hear the ping, though I can hear it with the windows closed at times when it pings badly enough. For example, then I turn on the air conditioner and/or when the temperature outside is above 25 degrees.

Sorry to here that your car's pinging did not disappear. I was very much hoping to hear a success story.