Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Transmission Questions

2»

Comments

• middleburgermiddleburger Member Posts: 1
    OK...here goes.......

94 Corolla, basic as basic can be. Automatic transmission. 278,000 miles.

Have replace both front axles already and it sounded like the CV axle had gone again so I went about changing it. As I am getting ready to put the new one in, I see something hanging in the female end of the transaxle casing. There was what looks like it used to be a very tightly wound spring that was just all mangled up hanging out of the hole.

Was worried about it but proceeded with putting the axle in. Got everything put back together but now have the same originating sound....a metal on metal sound while turning and sometimes even straight too...almost feels like gearwheel teeth are broken but at least on the side that I replaced i didn't feel anything.

Any ideas, folks?
  • buck1106buck1106 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I own a Toyota Corolla Hatchback Ascent 2002 model.
    I have recently being experiencing problems when changing gears as it makes grinding sounds and i struggle to change gears.
    When changing into reverse from a stationary position the gearbox makes extreme grinding sounds.
    When engaging clutch it makes a loud clicking sounds.

Could anyone with any experience please help identify the problem? Thanks in advance.

J Elliott
  • walt29walt29 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    When changing automatic transmission fluid, you also need to drain the fluid from the torque converter (and change the trans filter) to do a complete job. I have heard that some auto transmissions no longer have a drain plug on the torque converter. I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla with automatic trans. Does anyone know if this car has a drain plug on the torque converter? If it does not, how do you drain the torque converter without doing a flush job, and the problems that can cause. Note to everybody: don't forget about changing the separate differential compartment fluid now and then (which my car has).
  • dbdsupvicdbdsupvic Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1989 toyota corolla with 145,000 miles on it and it jerks when it increases from 30 miles an hour to 40 miles an hour. Is this the transmission slipping? It doesn't do it all the time. There are some days when it does not do it at all. But when it does jerk, it is a powerful jerk. Can anybody help me? It is an automatic 3 speed transmission.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Can we assume you already checked the transmission fluid level? Did the fluid look clear or did it look dark and smell burnt?
  • dbdsupvicdbdsupvic Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the transmission fluid is okay and is in good standing.
    A delay of more than a second in shifting from the neutral to drive or reverse gear, could mean that there is a problem with the transmission. If on changing from a neutral or park position to the drive or reverse gear, the car does not immediately catch the gear and move forward or backward, then it could mean a problem in the transmission. If you change gears, and you hear a sudden clunk or sudden jolt or shudder, then the shifting is not smooth and there could be a problem with the gearbox. If the engine rpm keeps increasing but there is no increase in the speed, then it could be a sign of the transmission slipping.Most automatic transmission systems, nowadays, have a check engine light or an OD light, which flashes if there is a problem with the engine.
  • taj1963taj1963 Member Posts: 1
    I've let my 17 yo drive my Corolla for the past few months and now when I put the lever on "R" the car goes in nuetral. When I put it on "N" it goes into drive. When on "D" I can only assume it's in second gear. Has anyone ever had this problem? Please help.....thanks!!
  • tommayetommaye Member Posts: 1
    Am planning on buying a Toyota Corolla seda 1985 from up the street, it is an Auto and i am wanting to drive a Manual. Could Anyone tell me how much time and effort will go into this, along with costs.
  • ayusufayusuf Member Posts: 4
    Recently, I purchase a Toyota Corolla, 2007 automatic transmission car (ODO: 109,000 KM). On the same day, I changed both engine and transmission oil. In D or R position, when I press the brake, the car starts moving in a smooth way. But, when I slow the car (5-10 KM/hour), generally happens at round-about, and then press the accelerator, the engine RPM increases but car behaves as it is in nutral. In that situation, I bring my car to L position, move it after pressing accelerator, and then again in D position. This happens some times very freqent (i.e., at every slow-down) and some times very rare. Can anybody please help - what would be the problem? Thanking you in anticipation.
    Did this problem start after the transmission fluid change? If so was the correct amount and type of fluid used?
    No, the previous owner was also feeling the same problem. My mechanic could not trace it during the test drive. But, after noticing the problem when I enquired with the previous owner, he accepted the fact I was also feeling this kind of problem.
    Can any body please share his experience regarding post# 62 followed by 63 and 64?
    Pl. let me know the best transmission oil to be used for Toyota Corolla 2007 model. Thanking you in anticipation.
    No experience to share, but check your Corolla manual for the correct transmission fluid. Some recommend Dexron 2/3 and some recomend Toyota T-IV
  • taliajolenetaliajolene Member Posts: 1
    its your shift cable.... My firebird did the same thing and it shouldn't to hard to fix.
  • ajimenezajimenez Member Posts: 1
    2007 corolla used Automatic Transmission Fluid Type T-IV
  • w33z312w33z312 Member Posts: 2
  • w33z312w33z312 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys

I know there are probably a lot of people with great car knowledge in this forum, so I'm here to ask for your advice.

I have an automatic 04 Corolla with about 75k miles. About a month ago, I noticed that my car started having trouble switching gears. At about 2500rpm, the transmission would kind of rev without moving the car along.

My dad (who only thinks he's a mechanic) took a look at the transmission dip stick and noticed that it was a bit on the low side. He added some transmission fluid, and shorty after, my car drove drastically smoother. About a day or so later, it returned to it's unusual rev'ing self. Now the thing is, about two months ago, I took my car to my mechanic and had an transmission oil change, so where did the rest of that oil go? I park my car in my garage, but there is no oil collection on the ground.

What do you guys think?
  • jomatyso12jomatyso12 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1995 Corolla which has been the best car ever. We are the original owners of the car and it was about to reach the 200,000 mile marker when my husband drove it just stop running. The engine was running but when my husband pressed the accelator it wouldn't go. Is it the transmission or something else.

thanks for the help.

mindy
  • kevin71bkevin71b Member Posts: 2
  • kevin71bkevin71b Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2012 Corolla with 4 speed automatic. I drive in the mountains which is uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill. Each time I coast downhill, when I reach 50 mph the tranny downshifts to 3rd and shoots up the RPM and slows the car (which almost causes me to get run over from behind each time) This is very annoying and a little dangerous too. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? Thanks in advance for answers.
  • heididogheididog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 toyota corolla with 72,000 miles on it and I am having the exact same problem as you are having with mine. I have had it at the dealers twice and they can't find any thing wrong with it. It will not do it when it is at the dealers. Did you ever find out what was wrong with your toyota?
  • theboomaschinetheboomaschine Member Posts: 2
    hey so i have a 99 corolla and i want to switch out the automatic transmission with a manual, is there any way i can do this and if so what do i need to look out for?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Not worth it, unless this is something you want to do for the fun of it. It is much better financially to just buy a manual, as you have LOTS of modifications and parts to buy. And a '99 is pretty old, so makes even less sense to put $$ into it.