Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Enclave vs Imports

ruckballruckball Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Buick
I hear a lot of talk about the Enclave is getting import owners to move to Buick. I'm sure there's plenty of Explorer owners and maybe MDX owners who are doing that, but has anyone out there actually trade in a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW for the Enclave?

Comments

• hondafordhondaford Member Posts: 51
    How about a Pilot? I am turning in a leased Pilot and buying an Enclave.
    I loved my Pilot and had NO complaints agaisnt it, but my wife found the ride a little to harsh for long trips (5000 miles in two weeks every other year).
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    I've got an MDX and am looking to purchase either a new MDX or an Enclave. I've been a life long Acura owner but have been displeased with some of my recent Acura's. If Buick keeps up with its quality reputation, they will be a serious competitor.

Also test drove a Hyundai Veracruz but the car had many electrical problems during the test drive. So, I immediately ruled it out.
  • billdougbilldoug Member Posts: 5
    We looked at just about every crossover out there. When we saw an Enclave at the Buick dealership I just about gave myself whiplash doing a double take. Never even thought of a Buick as a possibility, but after driving one we went ahead & ordered one that is in line for production. Will post later when we've has a chance to take it for a road trip, but the Enclave has almost everything beat hands down!
    My only dissapointments were losing the 6 disc cd with the NAV & not the back window not opening by itself.
  • celica8celica8 Member Posts: 42
    Interesting topic.. that is the subject of an article in today's Wall Street Journal
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118886140902916287.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
  • celica8celica8 Member Posts: 42
    At our Buick dealer they said they've had a Nissan Pathfinder, a few Jeeps, a Denali, and a couple of Toyotas traded in for Enclaves. We're trading in an X-5.
  • leaddawgleaddawg Member Posts: 4
    Just took delivery of a brand new, fully loaded, Cocoa Metallic, AWD CXL Enclave. First American made vehicle I have purchased in my life of 45 years. Have owned the following SUVs: Isuzu Trooper, Toyota Land Cruiser, Acura MDX, Honda Element, Lexus LX470 and Mercedes GL 450 plus numerous high quality import sedans (Mercedes E420, Infiniti J35 and Q45, Lexus LS 400, Lexus SC430 and Lexus LS430). Still have the Mercedes GL (wife's car), but our short list for a new SUV included the new Lexus LX 570(due out late this year), the Ranger Rover Sport(Supercharged), and a 2nd Mercedes GL.

The Buick Enclave caught my eye in some articles from the 3 auto Magazines I get monthly (Car & Driver, Automobile, Motor Trend). After reading numerous positive consumer reviews I visted the Buick dealer and checked out the Enclave. I must admit, having never owned an American brand vehicle, this is a nicely designed and appointed SUV. It looks great from the front and sides and has one of the nicest looking rear ends of any SUV made. The interior is very well appointed. For $45,000 it's by far one of the best values for the look, size, and amenities this car delivers. I'm please to see there's finally a GM product that fits the look, design, quality and value I expect in an automobile.

Havent' had it long, but the Enclave looks, drives and feels better behind the wheel than I even expected. I'm very pleased with the decision to purchase the Enclave. I'll post later with some thoughts on the ownership experience.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    leaddawg, thanks for your report. I'm a little older than you and have mostly bought imports over the years, including BMW, Audi, Infinity and Lexus. For my next purchase I have not yet decided, but the Enclave is definitely on my short list.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    Have you ever noticed that on a wet pavement that the "road spray" sucks itself onto the rear window? It's for that reason that the rear window of cars do not open... a vacuum is created allowing exhaust gas to enter through the rear opening.
  • acousticplayeracousticplayer Member Posts: 1
    Three weeks ago, I traded in my Honda Pilot for an Enclave CXL. I was happy with the Pilot, but the 2008 Pilot was not redesigned as had been expected. Therefore, I looked elsewhere for a new vehicle. I narrowed my choices down to the Enclave and the Mazda CX-9. So far, it drives beautifully and is very comfortable on longer trips. I am completely satisfied with this car from the second row forward. My only disappointment is related to the cargo area. Since I travel with my job and use the cargo area daily, it is important that it suits my needs. The 3rd row doesn't fold flat, there is no cargo mat to cover the entire area from the 2nd row back, and there is no adequate cargo cover. The Pilot had all three of these features. It didn't have the automatic liftgate, though, and I love that feature on the Enclave.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I think billdoug means losing the opening glass for setting in objects when opening the hatch would be more of a hassle/impossible due to height clearances, as seen in the Ford Explorer, etc...

• albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Wow. Seems like the Enclave is popular with luxury owners. Somebody surpassed a Lexus LX470 and a Range Rover for one- having never owned an American vehicle before. GM has come a LONG way.
    How about a Pilot? I am turning in a leased Pilot and buying an Enclave.
    I loved my Pilot and had NO complaints agaisnt it, but my wife found the ride a little to harsh for long trips (5000 miles in two weeks every other year).

Are you saying you drove 120k every other year on your Pilot?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I think they are saying that they take a two week trip every other year and that trip is 5000 miles. That is when his wife does not like the ride.
  • mickicdmickicd Member Posts: 24
    I looked at them all and browsed through all the magazines, I finally bought the Enclave over the Lexus, BMW, and many more that were on my list. Did I make a wise choice? Drum roll please.....NO!
  • natalulunatalulu Member Posts: 12
    Drum Roll - Why do you feel you made the wrong choice?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Read the half dozen or so nearly identical posts of theirs in various Enclave topics and you will know the answer. I think the major reason is a water leak.
    Water leak. It will go in for service for the 4th time on Monday. Rusting inside from it. Molding, etc.
    also check engine light has come on 3 times.
    Other then that, it seems like a nice car. But, if I had a chance to do it all over again, I would not buy it at this time.
  • tencjeddtencjedd Member Posts: 44
    A few owners with a water leak isn't representative of this car. Ours is dry as a desert.

We traded a Toyota Sequoia for the Enclave and consider it to be a major upgrade. We were less than impressed with Toyota's "reliability". Heck, my VW Touareg is/was HEADS AND SHOULDER above the Toyota on reliability.
    I looked at them all and browsed through all the magazines, I finally bought the Enclave over the Lexus, BMW, and many more that were on my list. Did I make a wise choice? Drum roll please.....NO!

Do you think after the problems are solved and you have several thousand worry free miles you'll think you made a good decission?
    There have been more then a few owners with the leak problem.
    Perhaps and I will let everyone know the outcome.
  • nurse73nurse73 Member Posts: 1
    I recently totaled my beloved Envoy. Have narowed down to Buick Enclave, Audi Q7 and Cadillac Escalade. I am dissapointed that all 3rd row seats are essentially for children except for the Enclave which has more 3rd row room than any SUV we have looked at.
    When test driving the Enclave on a very windy day, we noticed it was difficult to hold the Enclave on the road. Anyone noticed this on an 09?
    Also, has Buick corrected the water leak issue that I have been reading about on the 09's?
    Thanks. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • liameenliameen Member Posts: 16
    We also traded a Toyota Sequoia for an Enclave. It was our first Toyota, which we bought expecting the exceptional reliabilty that Toyota is known for, only to be disappointed by the vehicle and the dealers' service depts. The jury is still out in our 2008 Enclave's reliabilty. So far it has been fine, with zero problems. We like the Enclave. It is very comfortable and holds the road exceptionally well in snow etc. AWD is far better than 4WD for most driving conditions in my opinion, with the exception of off-roading.The fuel economy is not quite as good as I expected but it's still about 30% better than the Seqouia. We went Toyota expecting trouble free reliability, but that was not our experience. The truck developed several different electronic problems over the 7 yrs we had it; one of these problems cost $2,200 to repair. So, maybe people should not believe all they hear about Toyota reliability - it may not be all it's cracked up to be.
  • PMOPMO Member Posts: 278
    at 6400 lb. how windy is it on your roads?
This discussion has been closed.