Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Vibrations

2»

Comments

• phil2252phil2252 Member Posts: 14
    That is exactly the same thing that I was thinking of doing, Hoodlatch. I will go to the place where I bought the tires and have them rotate the tires and see what happens.
    Thanks for your advice!
    Phil
    I had my tires rotated today and the vibration is still there. It is still on the left rear tire. When I had the car on blocks the other day I noticed that the tire was running about a wobbling about 3/8-1/2 inch while looking at the tire tread against the ground as it was rotating. The other rear tire was perfect. I will raise the car off the ground again, after the coming snow storm and check to see if the new tire on the rear is also wobbling. If it is do you think it could be the axle?
    Phil
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    Short of being involved in a car accident, I haven't heard of it before.
    You are a smart mechanic Hoodlatch. I took the car for a long ride today and it is definitely vibrating in the front left tire which is the same tire that was vibrating in the rear before I rotated them. As soon as I change the tire I will get back to you.
    Phil
    This is a complex vibration. After changing the front left tire the vibration was still there. As I stated before the drive shaft was totally rebuilt and balanced twice and the tires were rotated and balanced twice. I made an appointment with a mechanic on Wednesday who thinks that it might be the differential ring gear. Would the ring gear make a noise if it was bad?
    Thanks
    Phil
    I'm confused. Does it have a noise problem, a vibration problem, is it in the front of the truck, at the back of the truck, a low speed vibration, high speed vibration. I don't see what the ring and pinion gear has to do with a vibration. :confuse:
    1, The truck had a small vibration at 52 - 54 MPH.
    2, 5 months ago I had 4 new tires put on. The vibration changed from 52 - 54 to when accelerating at start and again between 55 - 70 MPH.
    3, The tire store had all the tires re balanced but the vibration remained. The tire store drove the car and thought that it was the drive shaft.
    4, I had the drive shaft totally rebuild and balanced. The vibration at acceleration went away but it still vibrated at 55 - 70 MPH.
    5, The mechanic shop re balanced the drive shaft and the vibration was still there.
    6, I lifted the differential off the ground onto blocks and ran it in drive up to 80 MPH and there was no vibration at any speed.
    7, While on the highway I put my hand on the drivers door and the passenger door and the vibration was much more noticeable on the drivers door. There was no vibration on the steering wheel or my feet.
    8, I swapped the left rear tire to the front and the vibration went to the front.
    9, The tire store replaced the tire with a new one but it didn't help and the vibration is still in the front.
    10, I have a repair shop appointment on Wednesday.
    I am confused also.
    It is great to have you help me with this puzzle.
    Thanks
    Phil
    1, The truck had a small vibration at 52 - 54 MPH.
    2, 5 months ago I had 4 new Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires put on. The vibration changed from 52 - 54 to when accelerating at start and again between 55 - 70 MPH.
    3, The tire store had all the tires re balanced but the vibration remained. The tire store drove the car and thought that it was the drive shaft.
    4, I had the drive shaft totally rebuild and balanced. The vibration at acceleration went away but it still vibrated at 55 - 70 MPH.
    5, The mechanic shop re balanced the drive shaft and the vibration was still there.
    6, I lifted the differential off the ground onto blocks and ran it in drive up to 80 MPH and there was no vibration at any speed.
    7, While on the highway I put my hand on the drivers door and the passenger door and the vibration was much more noticeable on the drivers door. There was no vibration on the steering wheel or my feet.
    8, I swapped the left rear tire to the front and the vibration went to the front.
    9, The tire store replaced the tire with a new one but it didn't help and the vibration is still in the front.
    10, Today I got my truck back from the mechanic and he balanced and rotated the tires again. The vibration changed from 70 MPH to 60 MPH now and he thinks that it is vibrating from the rear of the truck. His best guess is that it is bad tires. Just to rule it out, if it was the differential and I put the car in neutral at 60 MPH should the vibration go away?
    Thanks
    Phil
    My 92 S10 came with Tiger Paws. I like Tiger Paw tires. For several years now I've been running Michelin only because Sam's and Wal-Mart quit stocking Tiger Paws.

The most common problems I've encountered with differentials is the pinion seal starts leaking grease because of age or the pinion bearing is worn out and it knocks out the seal. The other is the carrier bearings get worn out and the rear end starts howling. In either case you would definitely know it.

Some trucks have limited slip and when they get old the clutch packs get worn out. But in that case, the limited slip quits working and that's pretty much it.

In all the above I haven’t ever came across a vibration problem in the differential unless it was just about to give it up. When the differential is sick it will let you know by noise and leaking grease, if it has grease left in it.

I'm in the middle of replacing a rear wheel seal on mine. On mine you have to drop the inspection cover and remove a horse shoe keeper to pull the axle. It's kind of a throwback to the GM's of the early 50's. It's not that big of a deal but it has gone on long enough that everything is soaked with grease so I'll have to replace the brake shoes too.

I guess you did check things like broken/worn shocks, broken leaf spring, loose spring shackles? Don't give up the ship. Half of being a mechanic is you need patience and the other half is you need to be persistent as a stubborn old weed. Good Luck
    Hi Hoodlatch,
    I checked all the springs and the shocks and the differential is not making any noise. Since it only vibrates under load do you think a dynamometer would help locate the vibration?
    Thanks again, Kindly
    Phil
  • nelson76nelson76 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 02 Chevy S10, I have uneven tire wear on the rears(tires spin a lot though with not a lot of accelerator depression) and the front left wheel has a wobbling sound at lower speeds, roughly 60-65 km/h. I don't get any vibration in the steering. I am going to re-grease and check wheel bearing since I've heard it may be causing the problem and rotate the tires. Are any of you getting a vibration while steering or is it just a noise? :confuse:
    Hi Hoodlatch,
    I finally had a chance to bring my S10 to the tire store. they changed all of the tires with Michillan Harmony tires. It may be because of the extra weight of the tires but the vibration has gone away except a little bit when I accelerate at 70 MPH (which is tolerable). But for any other speed it is running great.
    I wish I could tell you that it was the tires but I can't say. All I want to do is thank you for helping me get through this nightmare.
    I owe you my sanity.
    Phil
    Glad to here it all worked out in the end. I'm sure it was quite a quest for anybody.

Another good S10 forum is Yahoo. I sometime pick up some good tips from the guys on it.

Have a nice spring and enjoy the pretty weather.

John
  • shadetreemec3shadetreemec3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1991 S10 that has 130,000 miles on it. Recently I replaced the rear seal and then decided that it would be a good idea to rebuild my driveshaft. I replaced all of the U-joint bearings and the middle carrier bearing. I had take the driveshaft to a shop that specialized in driveshafts to replace that portion. I watched them replace everything and complete the balancing on the driveshaft. When I got back home, I replaced the driveshaft and took it out for a test drive. The truck vibrated at 32 mph and kept on vibrating as I accelerated. I took the truck back to the shop and they pulled out the shaft, rebalanced, and installed it. Vibration still there. The owner of the shop personally drove it and could no tell what the issue was. The truck is my weekend hauler, so I am now using it around the immediate area. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    When you say rear seal are you referring to rear main bearing seal in the engine, or rear wheel bearing seal, or the pinion seal in the read end?

I replaced the drive shaft in my 92 long bed last winter. It was cheaper to replace the cardone joints with regular U-joints. This causes a vibration :) till I get up to speed. The up side was the shop could build it for about $400. Less and when it's time to replace the u-joints I can do that myself.
  • shadetreemec3shadetreemec3 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced both rear wheel bearing seals. Another thought is that I may have reassembled the rear end wrong... but it only seemed to go back together one way. May just have to put in a single axle.. Thanks
  • kevinnsckevinnsc Member Posts: 1
    ok here is a question i desperatly need answered i just purchased a 96 s10 blazer 4x4 with the 4.3 vortec and the guy i bought it from lifted it and in the rear he just muved the back springs down on the shacle how do i lower the front so i can ride with stock highth
  • dbawseldbawsel Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    i have a 2003 extreme with a vibration and roaring noise from rear of truck it vibrated the drive shaft bolts almost out only one was tight. rear end has plenty of dope .tires have 4000 miles on them. truck only has 55000 miles this is a joke every mechanic scratches there head and says it could b could b my [non-permissible content removed] someone know what it is im sure i just havent asked the right person yet.has anyone figured out what it is vibrating our trucks .thanks david
  • ronpatronpat Member Posts: 1
    2003 Chevy vibrates and roaring noise comes from rear of truck at 40 mph and up.
    Had the Chevy dealer replace 2 bearings in rear end but did not fix problem. Dealer says it might be the ring and pinion($800+ labor). I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of money that might fix the problem.
  • ch47dr2008ch47dr2008 Member Posts: 1
    i lowered my 03 s10 extended cab with 1" coils and 2" spindles in the front and 4" blocks in the rear. i have 18 inch rims. sometimes when i turn the wheel right it makes a roaring noise. and sometimes it will switch and make the noise when i turn left. and stop making it to the other side. and even stranger sometimes it makes the same noise when i hit the brakes. and when it switches sides it stops when i hit the brakes. what the hell is going on?
  • wolf27wolf27 Member Posts: 1
    My truck makes like a whirling whistling noise when i hit 60mph it quiets down after 70mph. Nothing seem loose or anything but i dont remember hearing it before. Anyone have any ideas help me out. I hit the clutch in at 65mph and it goes away i just put in a new clutch slave cylinder and 4 days later it started to make the noise.
  • bbrad25bbrad25 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chevy S10 LS ZR2. It has 80,000 miles on it and runs great. I am just having a little problem with vibrations. I put new tires on not long ago and I had them rotated and it still shakes or vibrates. The back driver side tire wobbles and I have had them reblanced and it still wobbles. When i took my old tires off the front passenger side tire would fall over because the inside tread was worn down. I have gotten it aligned and I don't think my new ones are wearing. The vibration isn't as bad anymore. I also lifted my torsion bars so that the truck sits level. Could this cause any problem? I hope it isn't the drive shaft because I don't have the money for it. I think they sent me bad tires. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
  • bmockbmock Member Posts: 7
    I have a 99 Gmc sonoma and when i get on the gas and the arpm's get up about 2200 to about 2500 its a real loud rattle right at my feet on the drivers side floor board it sounds like it was coming from the flex joint right out of the manifold so i replaced the flex joint and it seemed alot better but its been a couple weeks since i did that and the rattles back now and i don't know what it is can u guys help me out?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I would check your motor mounts.
    The motor mounts look good but the rattle seems to only be coming from the drivers side right there at the manifold? u can't hear it or feel anything from the passanger side
    Loose shield?
    The shield on the manifold? If ur talking about that no but it could be loose and maybe thats rattling i will check it out....another thing is there a spacer between the manifold and the downpipe? Because when we replaced the flex joint we just put some exhaust high temp. sealer on it
    my dad's s-10 had a rattle going on after my son borrowed it to tow a camper from mo to sc. at first i thought it was the heat shield on the cat. as it turned out it was some of the tile inside the cat had come loose and i had to change out the catalytic converter.
    Yes , manifold shield. To check converter per Hoodlatch, just go under with cold cat and hit it , if loose innards it will rattle.
    I cut the cat out and put a straight pipe in it when i bought the truck but last night i took the down pipe loose and replaced the donut gasket and put alot of high temp. silicon on it and so far its not rattling anymore so i think its fixed...Thanks for all the help guys
    No cat, how do you keep the check engine light from being on all the time.
    When i cut the cat out i took the o2 sensior out of the cat and welded it back into the exhaust so it still reads as it being there
    Can't be reading right with no cat, should put check engine light on if in fact the check light does work.
    NO the check engine light works because when it was missing on one cyl. it came on after i cut the cat out it just runs a little bit fatter now
    Well the post cat sensor sends information to the PCM on how well the cat
    efficiency is performing . No cat, poor performance, light on. Well who am I to say your light is on.
    BTW you can buy a sensor to plug into the 02 sensor and the PCM still thinks there is a cat installed. I would never do it though.
    I will just leave it alone it doesn't turn the check engine light on and it still runs great no problems i acutally think it running a little bit fatter helps it in the long run
  • KDUB3538KDUB3538 Member Posts: 2
    HEY GUYS WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS CHANGE THE YOLKS I PROMISE YALL ITS A LIFE CHANGER🤘