Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• youngrampyyoungrampy Member Posts: 5
    I am new to this forum but after reading ALOT of the posts here I feel that I am not alone here. The wife and I got a settelment and bought a 2007 Impala, from Keystone Chevrolet here in Tulsa, so that we wouldnt have to worry about having problems with the car. But after having the car for about 1 1/2 years we have replaced the rear tires at least 2 or 3 times, all because of the same problem. The inside 2 or 3 treads keep wearing out down to the cords. Keystone Chevrolet called us on the phone and told us it was time to bring the car in for regular service work, so I thought it would be a good time to have the problem resolved. I asked for the Supervisor of the Service Department to make sure there wouldnt be a problem with having the rear end aligned, since I found out there was a Technical Service Bulletin on the alignment needing to be done on this car when it comes right from the factory. But I was told that you can buy a brand new 2010 Chevy right now and after 12,000 miles there is nothing they can do with out having us pay for the work and/parts. Even if you get the car brand new and there is still the bumper to bumper warrenty on the car. I told the Supervisor there was a Technical Service Bulletin out on this car and I even gave him the TSB on this car and I was told that they cant do anything unless there was a REACLL on these cars. I really liked what I read on another forum that said it seems like Chevrolet isn't going to do anything for the common people like most of us here, but they would fix the cars with the Police Package on them for free. The person also went on to state that it was more of the common people like most of us on here that make up the sales of the Impalas and that a defect is a defect. They stated that it seems like Chevrolet isn't going to do anything about this factory defect because the commom person cant afford the lawyers like the city, state and government can. I have often wondered what would happen if a huge group of the Impala consumers would get together and sign a petition stating that this defect has the potential to kill several of us, if Chevrolet would FINALLY get the idea there could be several lawsuites against them if something isn't done first. I know that the car manufactures are really hurting for money right now the way it is, but several lawsuites against them would surely put Chevrolet out of business and, and in my opinion another great American Iconic company would be no more. General Motors alone has already closed the doors to all the Oldsmobles and Pontiacs plants, will it take another bunch of the people just trying to get some satisfaction for a FACTORY defect for Chevrolet to realize that if we aren't satisfied they too would have to close thier doors? When we first bought the car my wife wasn't working so we hardly used this brand new car we got. But since than she has gone back to work and has to drive like 60 miles one way to get back and forth to work and she has been scared to death to drive this new car for fear of her life that one of these rear tires could blow out while she is traveling on the Interstate doing 75 miles an hour. Now that is for sure an accident in the making. After I told the Supervisor at Keystone Chevrolet and told him that if I have to I will contact the BBB to try and get some satisfaction for this problem. I was in not so many words told go ahead cause they wouldnt fix the problem without charging us to fix it, even with the TSB as well as a recall for the Impalas with the police package, out in this car. I than called Keystone Chevrolet back and talked to who was supposed to be in charge, who really just turned out to be the person in charge of sales, and told him what the problem was and what the Supervisor and I had talked about. Well to make a long story short here I finally was so mad that I told him I wanted his boss to call me back and that if anything happened to my wife not only would they be talking to the BBB but they would also be talking to my lawyer because I would file a lawsuite for them not serviceing this car with the TSB on it. I have yet to hear from the Owner or who ever is in charge of Keystone Chevrolet about this problem, but from what I have read on this forum I could be waiting for ALONG time. Well I hope to be able to post that Keystone Chevrolet did someting good to make this car safe, the way it should have been made from the factory in the first place.
    Gregory Shepard
  • youngrampyyoungrampy Member Posts: 5
    Oh yes, I just remembered something else with our 2007 Impala. Every time we had to change a tire that had not been changed we were also told that we would need to replace the Tire Pressure Sensor as well. Well we now need to replace BOTH rear wheel sensors which in told is a cost of around $125 EACH. If these Tire Pressure Sensors aren't changed every time you start the car it will tell you to "Service Tire Monitoring System" and the light for the Tire Pressure will flash and after a time the light stays on all the time.
    YounGrampy
  • john_giliusjohn_gilius Member Posts: 30
    hi shep. sorry to hear your stealership is effing you over on this situation. my 07 didn't have the alignment trouble alot of other have had, thank God. GM is going to ignore you so you can pay the (up to) 100 bucks or so to get a 4 wheel alignment yourself. it sucks, i agree the car should come from the factory with the ability to drive straight and not have messed up alignment. personally, i would have gotten the car a 4 wheel alignment when you bought a new set of tires. sure, i agree GM should take care of this problem like they did for the cops (without much of a fight!) but apparently we commoners who pay for the cops' salaries aren't important enough. TSB's don't necessarily mean recall to GM (see my 3.9l headlight flicker problem) but in that case GM did have a fix and mine was still under the 3/36 so it was fixed no charge to me. i did have to enlighten my dealer to the TSB though. that was sad. you may want to check out another forum, the NAIOA (www.naioa.com) for more info on your alignment issue and any courses the folks there have taken. i have the ISS problem with my car, but my stealership refuses to help me on that, so i will just lube mine and be pissed off at GM while i do it. they (the ISS) are defective, GM knows it, but is passing the buck right now by going after the ISS manufacturer, saying it's their fault. they counter it was GM's design, they only built them to GM specs. :lemon: hmmmm. as for the TPS, you should be able to recalibrate the sensors so the car knows which tire is at which corner after a rotation. sounds like the tire place was looking for a free windfall at your wallet's expense. unless a sensor goes bad, i don't see a reason to replace. you can find new and used monitors on fleabay all the time for less than a buck and a quarter. good luck with your ride, keep us abreast. peace, john in grand haven, mi
  • wmenkelwmenkel Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2007 impala. I went through my first set of tires less than 24,000 miles. After 10,000 miles on the new tires, I began to notice the same wear. I took it into the dealership and they re-aligned the cambers. Thought that would solve the problem but I was wrong. My tires continue to wear. I am at 16,0000 miles and by spring I will probablly have to buy new tires. I called GM head quarters to file a complaint but that got me nowhere. I am only grateful that I am leasing the car and can return it in July. I will never buy another GM product again. It is a lossing battle with the Impalas and with GM.
  • twarnotwarno Member Posts: 2
    > Me too. 2007 SS. The factory set were dead by 17,000 miles. Dealership said the they never seen a car so out of align. Personally, I don't think it was right out of the box. I live in the Cleveland area. Winter and all that stuff. Second set died about the same. This time it appeared that the right side wore more than the left. Alignment was not the problem. With the third set, I now rotate by crossing the tires instead of front to back. Try that. Maybe that will help. I take care of my cars. I like the car but the tire wear is VERY disappointing. My tire pressure is always checked ta boot.
  • edmj88edmj88 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 07 impala LT 3.5. sometimes when i come to a stop and start to accelerate is hesitates to pick up speed like it should then jurks and drives like it should wat is the problem i have 84000 miles on it
  • kelvinlkelvinl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 07 with 47,000 miles doing the same thing. I have taken it to the dealership twice and they have not figured it out. When they test drive it they say it works great and there are no errors on the computer.

The first time they recommended I get injector cleaner that didn't fix it.

The 2nd time (today) I got a line of crap about my trainy fluid was due and old fluid would make it do that. Getting the car back today so I will test drive it. But I don't think thats it either.
    47,000 mile tranny fluid making the car jerk on acceleration?? wow, if that's the case, my 98 cavalier with 176k shouldn't even be able to move, LMAO kelvin and ed, you guys might want to stop by the north american impala owners association website (www.naioa.com) and post that question to the group. a bunch of well versed people there. signup is free, and having been on that site for some time, it impresses me that most everyone there has something to contribute. keep us here abreast of anything that happens with your car, good or bad.
  • kenwrenchkenwrench Member Posts: 14
    Buried somewhere in these posts is my experience with alignments and tire wear. I can see that others are having similar problems. A couple observations having put 60,000 miles on my car in a little over two years. First, I have come to the conclusion that the Impala needs a complete front and rear alignment every 9-12 months regardless of road conditions. Second, the factory specified tires are not suitable for the Impala. Third, the tire pressures specified by GM can be revised with good results.

My old Lumina came with Goodyear Eagle GA's. I thought they were fantastic. They were quiet, lasted forever, and had tremendous traction. I was happy to see the Eagle LS2 on my Impala, because I figured they should be similar. Not so. They were noisy, had poor winter traction, and wore out quickly.

I talked to my dealer, and they said the General Altimax HP was a better tire for the Impala. When it came to replace the Goodyears, I went with the Generals. I have been pleased. They seem to be smoother riding, with no loss in handling, and are quieter. The other detail the dealer said to try was to run the tires at about 35psi as opposed to the 30psi recommended by GM in '07.

The different brand of tires and the higher pressure seems to have made a big difference, because I don't see the uneven wear that plagued the Goodyears. I only have about 10,000 miles on the Generals, but they look promising.
  • mokidmokid Member Posts: 1
    The tires on my Original Impala 07 got messed up in 30K miles. I never knew about this issue until this day. Anyways, I put all 4 new tires (Yokahama) and also took a lifetime Alignement/rotation/balancing plan from Firestone and have been taking advantage of it everytime I go for an oil change. So my tires are fine now. Just thought you all should know.
  • zeusandjennzeusandjenn Member Posts: 5
    I am down to sign a petition, I have all of these issues with my 07 Impala and more....all tire sensors, banging in dash on pass side, engine irregular noises, no-heating unless car is moving (although this was fixed with the replacement of the thermostat), rear head gasket is leaking oil, windows squeak when going up or down, car in general just squeaks inside while moving and I'm sure there is many more things I just don't know about yet!
    I love my car! I do.....but the damn thing has too many issues.....from bad tire sensors, to squeaking windows, to inside cabin noise, to a banging in the pass side of the dash, to no heat unless moving for an extended period of time and lastly.....to AN OIL LEAK IN THE REAR HEAD GASKET! I really do not know what to do, the gasket is about $1200 to replace alone.....I think I want to buy a different car! I'm going to try and go through the dealership because I called Chevrolet directly and was told my specific vehicle was under the PowerTrain/DriveTrain warranty until August of 2011 - we will see if they get themselves out of paying for it though, they always come up with something. Have you heard their exclusions? What kind of gas is bad for the car.....anyway, like I said...they will figure out a way OUT. This car has way to many issues for being only 4yrs old with 72k miles...I bought the car in Dec of 07 and have been having issues ever since.....Chevy should have issued a recall on the tire censors years ago and also the no heat item....this stems from the leaking head gasket which I have read numerous posts about this issue in multiple Impalas.....

Horrible....I agree with youngrampy that we should all sign a petition stating that we deserve safe vehicles too, not just the police and state since they have deep pockets to dig into to sue Chevrolet! I'm just saying!
  • ans3ans3 Member Posts: 2
  • ans3ans3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Impala - When I am making a left or right turn at low speeds, my car makes a clicking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front tire area. Does anyone know what this sound means? Also, if it is something that needs to be repaired, what is the cost estimate and time frame of repair?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    zeusandjenn,
    Have you spoke with a dealer or customer assistance?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    hey, someone from GM customer service? for real? cool. maybe we can also discuss the ISS and my 07 3LT's issue with the rear defroster trying to ignite my car via the inexplicably poor wiring harness connector in the passenger floor kick panel. i have heard other GM vehicles are having these issues, my ISS didn't start acting up until after my 3/36 was up and the stealership i bought it from gave me the shoulder shrug and "we can fix it for 150 bucks plus labor". (a can of lithium grease has cut down on the steering knock). the poor design of the wiring harness connector is fine for carrying light current loads but the defroster circuit is a different story altogether. on advice from some NAIOA members, i got into the kick panel and investigated the faulty wiring. sure enough, the connector sported a big, black, melted burn spot on it, and one wire had melted out right out of one side of the connector. once again, blank stares from the stealership and the "i'm sorry but your car is out of warranty". i fixed it myself with some butt connectors and a small section of the proper gauge wire. showed them, and they appreciated me educating them on how to fix other customers' vehicles when that happens. :mad: christina, i'd be happy to discuss with you over the phone or email about my car's less than satisfactory issues. my alignment oddly enough has been a non issue, and got 60k+ out of the original LS2's. michelin hydroedges now reside on the factory rims. peace, john h.
    john_gilius,
    Please feel free to contact me directly via email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited April 2011
    Hi Christina,

yes, I've seen thr deelership about the tire sensors and they replaced one time out of "good faith" but said for the others that have gone out I would be charged. I've also seen them about the heater issues and it not heating and they said they couldn't find anything and to just add coolant. Later I found out I needed a new thermostat and that there is leaks of both oil and coolant in the rear headgasket.... The other issues have not been looked at by the dealer, however because they are expensive just to have them look at the car. Then once they look at the car, they never know what the specic problem is and then tell you it's out of warranty......???? It's frustrating to deal with the deership repair shops because stealerships care more about selling the cars than repairing issues with the cars they sell.... Once it's off their lot, it's not their problem... On top of that normal people have issues going to other shops in fear that their warranty won't cover the repairs unless they are done at the dealership, one shop completely turned me down!!! What are us as consumers supposed to do?

Not sure what to do at this point.....other than trade the car in for another car...one more reliable and built more dependable.
    I had/have this same issue. Itseemsd to reduce when I replaced thr thermostat, the car wasn't getting enough air apparently..... But still have an oil and coolant leak in the rear head gasket :/. Check it out and see if it would help..... Thermostat with gasket (for thermostat) cost me $20 from my local auto repair shop (Winchester auto parts in san jose).

Good luck!
    FIXED!!!
    Took it to the dealer to get my brakes serviced. While there I asked them to check on the hesitation again. This time while test driving it jerked for them.
    They diagnosed it as the valve body hanging up inside the transmission. They replaced the valve body assembly, the pressure solenoid, and filter and fluid.
    Been driving it for a month now and it works Great!!!
    FIXED!!!
    Took it to the dealer to get my brakes serviced. While there I asked them to check on the hesitation again. This time while test driving it jerked for them.
    They diagnosed it as the valve body hanging up inside the transmission. They replaced the valve body assembly, the pressure solenoid, and filter and fluid.
    Been driving it for a month now and it works Great!!!
    zeusandjenn,
    I apologize for your frustrations with the dealership. I would definitely recommend finding a dealership that you trust that works with you. Have you got your concerns fixed? If you would like I can locate a different dealer to look at your vehicle. Please email me and let me know what I can do to assist you. I will need your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and Edmunds user name.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • buddyboy59buddyboy59 Member Posts: 1
    may be intermediate steering shaft,GM has a TSB on this car for a clunk when you turn.
    hello all. the latest rant has to be the mufflers on my 74K 2007 3LT getting holes in the top side of both mufflers big enough to stick my fist into. they have been getting worse for the last year, and after having the car on ramps tonight i found out the extent of rot. now i can look at replacing two mufflers with stainless steel aftermarket ones that might last a bit longer. christina, check your email. i contacted you. peace, john
    Traded the car in for a Honda Accord.....no more issues for me!
  • sandybrucesandybruce Member Posts: 1
    I hear ya! I have the same problem on my 2007 LT also! What is the deal with the holes on the top side? Did they design it to fail? I called the dealer and he told me $723 to fix!!! I asked if they were failing and he said he had seen a few. Seems awful early to me! (I drive 100 miles a day so it is not from short distance driving.)
  • boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    Forget the tank issues.. The only people buying this car are the rental car companies.. No one in their right mind would ever consider buying such trash. I rented one recently and then rented a Ford Fusion. Interior space with the Ford was on par, but overall the Ford excelled by comparison in quality, materials, seat comfort, style, adjustments, technology, driving experience, handling, braking, ...shall I go on?? The Ford was so vastly superior it is a wonder that Chevrolet survived government bail outs.. Well perhaps that speaks to why they needed a bail out.. And have learned nothing since... I understand that GM has hired/promoted a new designer. I wish her luck in remaking this brand and getting through the GM beuacracy
    boston, did you happen to rent a brand new fusion? if so, compare apples to apples. GM hasn't done much updating on the platform since the 2006 redesign, so you'd be comparing what to me is a 6 year old car to a new offering from ford. the newest GM offerings, especially the buicks, are IMO very nice cars. despite the issues with my imp, as posted here several times, i'm happy with the vehicle. the impala could have used an interior refresh by now, and maybe drop some R&D money into beefing up the tranny, but the recession pinched alot of pockets. that's my two abe's for the day. peace, john
  • mike699mike699 Member Posts: 2
    In true GM fashon the car gets 60,000 miles and starts to fail. Mostly electrical failures.
    Hadn't owned one in 20 years so thought we would try them again, bad idea! should have stayed with Ford.
  • chelly2chelly2 Member Posts: 2
    Reading these issues is like dejavu all over again! I bought my 2007 after it was turned in from a lease - 40K miles. First thing that happened was a huge problem with the front tires - the steel belts were completely broken down - almost blew out the right side on the freeway. Then I have had the horrible squeaking with the windows - so irritating and embarrassing! Next the dash rattles and sounds loose. I put a folded paper in it, which looks very classy. THEN . . . it is December and I am with my 86-yr-old mother, and the heater won't work if we slow down! The garage tells me it is the water pump and GM said it should NOT have gone out at under 50K, so I pay $100 for diagnostics. We continuously get the signal that the tire pressure is "wrong" and needs to be fixed. I don't understand why the tires always leak! NOW, it is one year after the heater problem and it happens AGAIN!!!! We take it to the dealer and they think it is a "bubble" in the cooling system. In the disgnosis, they discover the . . . (yes!!!!) the dreaded LEAKING GASKET!!!!!!!!!!!!! They give me good news/bad news and I faint. They offer to call GM and GM generously offers to pay 60% of the cost. I have to wait for SEVEN DAYS for the bolts to put the thing back together and pay $650 for the priviledge of fixing a problem that they KNOW is a defect in their product. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I am selling this car ASAP because I don't want to pay for one more of their mistakes - and never a GM product again. I LOVED GM, but never again. FORD or FOREIGN here I come!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I understand why you are frustrated, chelly2. How has your vehicle been since the gasket work was performed?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chelly2chelly2 Member Posts: 2
    One month after the gasket work, the heater blows cold air, again, even when the engine is warmed up, until the car is traveling at 45 mph. I have to go through town and I hate riding in a cold car. I have told the dealer and they said the same thing happens in the Impalas that the police force purchased and that it needs a bubble removed from the circulation system. He said it happens. How can it happen unless there is a leak somewhere? This is getting to be ridiculous!
    While I don't have technical resources available, and while I understand you're interested in selling your vehicle given your previous post, we are available if you are interested in pursuing a Service Request through Customer Service. When your dealership contacted GM, were you assigned a case number already?
    Please contact us via email if we can assist.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • greimanngreimann Member Posts: 1
    Is there a lot of people having this problem? Took car in for oil change only to be told the intake manifold is leaking. And the bad news was it would cost about $800.00 bucks to fix. This seems like a quite a bit of money.
  • tenshi3tenshi3 Member Posts: 2
    I hate this car...I bought it because I THOUGHT I was getting a decent car....I have had it for barely TWO years and I have already experienced problems with the transmission slipping...gas usage is horriffic....the paint is chipping...and NOW THE DOOR STRIPS ARE COMING OFF! Has anyone had the same problem with their door strips or panels??
  • rguthrierguthrie Member Posts: 8
    The strips on my LTZ came off 2 times within the first year that I had the car, which I purchased in February of 2007. I have not had a problem with gas mileage, getting 28-30 on highway, and 20-25 around Chicago.
    I currently have almost 129,000 miles, and I just started to have transmission problems, when staring off, for about the first 10 minutes of drive. This is not all the time, just once in awhile. I'm waiting for it to be more of a daily thing to take into the dealer.
  • tommygunnetommygunne Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have the TSB associated with tire wear on these cars, is there a permanent fix, or is yearly alignment the fix???
    Hello all. The latest minor inconvenience happened today. Wife went to leave work and the dreaded "can't shift out of PARK" happened to her. Turns out that the lockout solenoid wires were (IMO) improperly run at the factory, making the small harness pull on the wires when the shifter was in park. The black wire broke, and I was able to pull the small silver plug from the harness, recrimp it, and reinstall with 100% success. I ran the harness in a much smarter way to allow sufficient travel with a bit of slack to spare. Should be the last time I have to deal with this problem. I posted a thread with a couple photos on the NAIOA website on the "Problems with my car" column for your viewing pleasure. It might help those of you with the 06+ cars to pop the shifter bezel trim and see how your harness was run. It may save you from being stranded somewhere. You may also contact me for the photos and more detailed description of the process.

On another note with regards to an above post by myself, I did replace the rotted out factory mufflers in May with some Walker Quiet Flow Stainless mufflers. I coated them in several layers of ceramic paint before the install. Replaced the stock pipe from the mufflers to the cat as well with a new resonator and pipe which also got the ceramic paint treatment. Looks great, sounds quiet!! FTW! Peace, John
  • alexialancealexialance Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Impala SS that I kept when my father, who had been a chevy service manager for 50 years, passed away. I brought it back to my city in Knoxville and it has had the best servicing on transmission, engine, etc. since 2008. Now I find the transmission is beginning to slip and since daddy bought this in 2006 as a new 2007 model in August, even the power train warranty is out conveniently, right when I need to get something done. It has 70,000 miles on it at the moment

I have seen many other instances involving the same symptoms. How has GM gotten by without a recall on these transmissions? This was a $35000 car in 2007. I need to know what I can do about getting a chevrolet dealership to take responsibility to get this replaced. The symptoms? When you are at a light or just leaving your garage in the morning, you hit the gas and the engine revvs up and then there is a thud forward jerking the car into movement. It has its good days and bad days.....Sometimes it drives normally and others comes the lurch. Occasionally just over the last month while in cruise mode you will feel that the gears are trying to make up their mind to work and the car will jolt along a little.

My father would already roll over in his grave if he knew that his beloved former employer had become a shoddy second class car maker. Daddy always honored problems with his customers and did the right thing. Will Chevy do the right thing in this case.? If not, I will never even so much as look at one of these vehicles again. Chevy and GM has left this world along with my father.

Best Regards
    Kristen Lance
    (My father was C W "Buddy" Lusk of Tullahoma Tennessee Shapard Chevrolet.) Remember the original bald Mr. Goodwrench? My father was the model for that poster. They don't make em like they used to.
    Good morning alexialance,

We're sorry that you are currently experiencing some transmission concerns with your Impala. If you would like for us to check into this further with you, we're happy to do so. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Hello all. At 97K and the transmission showing early signs of the same problem everyone else is having, I jettisoned the Impala in favor of a 2010 Malibu LTZ. Another GM product, but I'm willing to be a glutton for punishment. I've joined chevymalibuforums.com and will be signing onto the '10 'Bu forum here as well. Thanks to all who got to read of my issues with the Imp and replied over the last few years. I'm going to stick around as I'm interested in how everyone else's issues pan out. Take care... Peace, John
    Reference Case 211 Involving Impala Transmission. You had asked for information on my father's Impala Vin Number. 2G1WD58G479104784
    You also asked me which dealership I had taken it to here in Knoxville. Unfortunately, since I brought daddy's car back to Knoxville in 2008, I have taken it to the two closest chevy dealerships to me and I have been very disappointed in the service departments of both of them.
    Once when I had an issue of a second battery dying within a year, they checked out the car and refused to believe it was the battery. Their answer to me was to let it die somewhere and have it towed in where they could figure out the problem. Fortunately, I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday and chose to just get a reputable mechanic to install the new battery. It worked fine. (Reeder)
    The other dealership has failed to do the basic maintenance items I asked them to do. (I checked after they finished on things like checking fluids to see if they had been refilled and so forth.) They had not, but yet they had checked off these functions.)(Beaty)

As a result, I am recording this issue with you and ask before I take it in to a dealership, they are made aware in advance of this problem with the Impala so that I do not have to go through a whole new set of hurdles in proving my problem with a car that is no longer in warranty. (Women are treated like idiots in both of these dealerships)
    Best Regards
    Kristen
  • smiejabssmiejabs Member Posts: 1
    We have 110,000 miles on our chevy and the head gaskit has gone out. What a kick in the shorts, 3 months and 10,000 miles after warrenty. Has anyone had this problem? We had the water pump changed at 60,000 and intake manifold at about 70,000. No warning this was going to happen.Had it into the dealership at 99,000 miles and they said it was fine. They say it will be about a week and $1500.00. We are on a budget as we are elderly and my wife(78) is handicapped. We bought the vehicle new thinking it would be our last new purchase. The gas millage is wonderful tho. Always get 29+ mpg... Being a disabled vet (82) this vehicle is so easy for both of us to get in and out of. Sure hope someone can let me know if this is common in this vehicle. Thank you
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You probably have the 3500 V6. Head gaskets and cross over pipe gaskets are common problems with this engine. You should check if they're replacing the cross over pipe gasket as well. Also, they need to check the specs on the cylinder head to see if it has warped. If so, then it needs to go to a machine shop to be reconditioned. I have an Uplander with the 3900 V6, a similar engine in design . Head and cross over pipe gaskets failed twice. First time the dealer that I bought the vehicle from did not do a good job and it was leaking again in less than 10k miles. Second dealer had the heads machined and it has been good for about 15k miles with no leaks since the repair. My engine runs strong and does not burn oil. I have 80k miles. Good luck.
    Good morning smiejabs,

We're sorry to hear about this situation. If you would like for us to check into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Do not buy their warranties unless you read every little detail in the contract. If you are in another city and require work, GM can disavow working on your vehicle by having their mechanics profess that someone else caused the problem to your car. I have just went through this with my 2007 SS Impala.
    Also, if the problem involves your transmission, do not accept the cheaper option of putting in a new transmission with a three year warranty. You will experience the same problem in a couple of years and pay for it all over again. These transmissions have an unusual flaw that can only be fixed by breaking it down. I have just found this out the hard way.
    Do not buy a gm car!! (from a family who worked and owned GM cars for many many years.)
  • tommygunnetommygunne Member Posts: 2
    The bailout does not change a poor design and quality process, GM has a flaw(causes slippage) with these transmissions that typical occur in the 55K-65K region, this is just another problem, also the front door speakers are dead, the remote only works from 10 feet due to receiver being blown out by static electricity, and the brakes are the worse, very undersized. I am shopping the competition today, never buying a GM again, done after 30 years.....previously I owned a 2001 Impala that went through the 6 re-designs of the intake manifold gasket, sad story, sad company, stay away from them.
  • bbutler54bbutler54 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 impala ls and recently the check engine light came on, it happened about a month ago and then went off , i tried tightening the gas gap and it seemed to go off shortly after that for a while until I filled up with gas again and after about using a quarter tank the light came back on, was wondering if you had any insight or suggestions.
    Greets. A couple of ideas for you. first, clean the gasket and filler neck surfaces completely free of the blackish buildup to promote a good seal. If that doesn't work, there is a solenoid in the rear drivers fenderwell behind the filler neck that can be accessed easily by removing the rear tire. This is notorious for failing, and will throw a code, P0440 or P0449 IIRC. On mine, i opted to pull it, shot some WD40 into it, used a 12 volt battery to cycle it several times, reinstalled, and never had another problem with it. Others have just replaced it. Once accessed, it's only held in with one 10 mm bolt. I'd strongly suggest joining an online forum called NAIOA, It is one of the best W-body forums around, of which I am still a member even though my Imp has been gone for a few months now. Great information, and the guys there are very helpful. Good Luck with yours. Peace, John
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092