Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Recall for turn signal malfunction

bittrswtbittrswt Member Posts: 2
FOR EVERYBODY SUFFERING FROM THE FAULTY TURN SIGNALS (SOMETIMES THEY WORK, SOMETIMES HEY DONT) THERE WAS A RECALL NOTICE SENT THROUGH THE MAIL STATING THAT THERE IS A FACTORY DEFECT IN THE WIRING SYSTEM OF THE TURN/HAZARD LIGHTS ... BRING IT TO YOUR NEAREST DEALERSHIP AND THEY HAVE TO FIX IT!!! (i believe that this is what causes al the other problems my fellow grand am'ers are having)

Comments

• tmiller07tmiller07 Member Posts: 2
    I called the dealership and they know nothing about this recall you posted. Where did you get this info? Please advise.
  • moody50moody50 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 grand am se and found a recall on the fuse box cover my car has the 2.4L twin cam motor with the 4T60E transmission the recall requires nothing more than the installation of 2 metal clips in the sides of the under hood fuse block and another plastic cover to go under the existing cover. i had problems with mine when water and dirt got into my fuses and kept popping them but i figured i could save someone alot of hassle
  • bob252bob252 Member Posts: 48
    Hi I know it's old and all that, but here is the problem, developted a fuel leak at the fuel filter (the curved steel line) I relaced it and at the time, also the filter, let 2 cycles recharge the fuel rail, the car started normally and ran fine, but, when accellerating past half throttle (meaning when you smash the gas pedal) the car bogs severely and sounds like there is no air filter or the car is running on air) there are no diagnostic "check engine" lights on, and I have no idea where to start to figure this out. When you let off the gas it returns to normal and runs fine, I live in a hilly area and am a senioe citizen, so don't ;augh at an old man about this. (Ha Ha I know some of you reading this thought so) anyway anybody got an Idea about this??? Thanks for reading.
    Ok, This is alittle confusing, Yeah it's an old car. This is where it started, It developed a gas leak at the fuel filter near the curved steel part, simple all replaced teste, and no leak, changed the filter as well, now when any attempt to force the throttle the car seems to be sucking air and does not accellerate (as in going uphill and it does downshift properly) and when you lett off of the pedal and return to normal, also it operates correctly when anything less than near full throttle exists. We have owned this car for 6 years and it never acted like that prior. (Ok we live in avery hilly area,and I am over 6 decades old and not a kid) My concern about this is a potential highway problem when maximum acceleration is necessary Thanks folks don't know where to look here, Evap system? can't figure this out otherwise it's OK. Thanks again.
  • manderinmanderin Member Posts: 1
    My mom has a Grand AM. Her car was one of the ones in the recall. Does the recall notice have an expiration date or do you have to stay under 150,000 miles to have it fixed? She seems to think that she has to stay under 150,000 miles in order to have the blinker fixed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    manderin,
    Can you please email me your mom's VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • canihuhcanihuh Member Posts: 10
    I have the same problem!! VIN# 1G2NW12E91M584545

TERRY M.
    Terry,
    Are you the original owner of this vehicle?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • duncan10duncan10 Member Posts: 2
    I am also having this same problem. It just started and now my car alarm isnt working. is this true is there a recall on grand ams. I have 53,000 miles on my car can do i qualify for the recall?
  • canihuhcanihuh Member Posts: 10
    To the best of my knowledge there is no recall.
    duncan10,
    Can you please email me your VIN? I will look into recall information for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • duncan10duncan10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi my Vin number is 1G2NE52E85M219788.
    Knowing my luck there probably isnt a recall on my car. I cant take this clicking noise! I think I'm going to have to take it in soon.
    Thanks for your help
    duncan10,

After looking up the VIN, there is not a recall for your vehicle. Please keep us psoted when you take the vehicle to have diagnosed.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If your handy at all with tools this is a relatively easy fix.
    Have a look at: http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Grand-Am-Turn-Signals
  • crude1crude1 Member Posts: 4
    Our vehicle is having the same problem. Its a 2000 Grand Am SE. My wife took it to the place we bought the vehicle and he said its our problem because the vehicle is more than 10 years old. Well how come we were never notified of this recall? We purchased a warranty through the GM dealership that has now run out but why were we not notified of this recall? When was this recall issued? Once again unhappy with our GM purchase.
    There was no recall for this issue that I'm aware of. There were technical bulletins issued about it.
    Yup. 3500 I was told to be exact and turns out my vehicle was one of the bunch. Waiting to hear back from Pontiac.
    I should have been more specific. There was no general recall for N-body cars (and some other models) that used this particular multi-function switch. There was limited ones for certain production runs however. Hopefully you'll fall within that. 3500 is a drop in the bucket for all the vehicles produced with this part.
    Are we talking about the steering column switch or the flasher mount in the dashboard that does not always work due to the dual purpose of that flasher. (4 way and signals)
    crude1,
    Can you send me your VIN and case number? I would like to look this over. Thanks!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Im in Canada so you might not be able to look at it. I phoned 1-800-263-3777. I was dealing with Matthew (ext. 2675). After a week I still did not hear back from him. I phoned and left a message last friday and still no reply. VIN # is 1G2NE52T7YC529603. Case # 2504912954. He said I may have a small fee applied but it should be fixed. Still no response.
    crude1,

Thank you for sending the requested information. I have escalated your concern regarding your agent not returning your phone call. Please keep me posted when you do hear from him.

Thank you,
    Well I give up on getting a response. I left two messages with Matthew and not one phone call back within the month. I am definitely not happy. I will never buy another GM product. I had horrible service the whole time I owned this car. Time to fix it myself, sell it and lesson learned.
    crude1,

Could you please email me directly? I would like to discuss your situation further. Could you please include your screen name used on the forum?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you!

socialmedia@gm.com
  • sliderinwasliderinwa Member Posts: 6
    To the customer service folks on her. This is being written about on every Pontiac forum i have found. There are many, many folks having this problem. My car is a 2004 Pontiac Grand AM with the 3.4 v6 engine/auto trans. It is throwing a po122 code which is throttle position sensor. I have changed that and still get the code. I have also changed the trans filter/fluid, the fuel filter, plugs and wires, IAT,MAP, 02 sensors. I have cleaned the EGR valve. I have replaced the cat, and last week replaced the VSS and the output speed sensor. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and cleaned the knock sensors. Nothing helps. I can not afford to ruin the transmission, as i do not have the money to get it replaced. Not crying, but, I am a disabled veteran and my wife is disabled aswell. That means "LIMITED" income. In fact i am doing all of the work myself as hiring a mec is to expensive. I di have the engin scoped and was told throttle position sensor.I simply do not know what to do next. So i am asking you to do the right thing here and at least give me some idea's. I don't mind doing the work, but, i just do not know what to do next. I wish you would post answers on this site as i KNOW there are many others looking for the same answer. Thank you so much
    I will do better in the future. Promise.
  • cpetacpeta Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

2003 Pontiac Grand Am..I had the same issue, blinker going crazy when I pushed the blinker arm, until eventually the blinker light went out. Not the bulbs, got an entire new rear light box from a selvage yard and then installed. That was 2 years ago. Now, same problem.

In addition, security flashing issue, first happened winter 2010. Led to car being towed and new fuel pump installed so that I could go to work the next day. New fuel pump installed, car didn't start, fiance googled, saw security fix in acc position, car started. Car continued to start flashing security and not starting at random intervals ever since. Very frustrating and unsafe as noted in many previous posts. At this point the security light is always on and a solid light (not blinking). I am concerned as to whether this affects the optimal functioning of my vehicle.

Also, dash lights went out completely on several occasions while driving, sometimes all lights, sometimes just the radio/cd player lights....scary when you can't see what speed you are going on pitch black roads.

...car is fussy about starting, sometimes takes three or more attempts

...car has stalled several times while driving ON THE HIGHWAY in the fast lane I might note..very scary..just glided over to the breakdown lane and re-started.

put in over 6k in repairs over the last two years, started off with $1500, then something else went wrong, and again and again and again. Car is paid off, already invested so much money, want to keep it running.
    Repair list:
    -new brakes, rotors 2008 & 2010
    -new struts 2010
    -EGR valve 2009 at Dealership
    -catalytic converter 2009 at Dealership
    -left front wheel/hub bearing 2009 at Dealership
    -ft brake pads and rotors 2009 at Dealership
    -power steering flush 2009 at Dealership
    -new intake-manifold gaskets, engine coolant flush, throttle body service, engine oil flush 2009 at Dealership
    -new fuel pump from security problem...2009 (probably not even needed and $647.54)
    -new horn 2009 (cost $1139.97....ridiculous that it should cost that much..all because of air bag position in steering column)
    -plus many others in 2006..

Now, in order to pass inspection by 10/01/2011 I need to get my rear turn lights fixed again....If I could please get some assistance by GM as other posters on this thread have managed to obtain that would be greatly appreciated. I love my car, but these little things are worrying, unsafe, and will not pass inspection with a non-functioning turning signal. Thanks in advance for your help.
    I have learned that the constant clicking noise is because of the combination switch. The switch has corroded grease in it from the factory. It is easy to change out,. The switch is in the steering column. DISCONNECT the battery.
    You will need a #20 and a #10 toque tip driver. Take three screws from the bottom side of the column cover. (switch cover). Use the #20 driver to remove the bottom screws.(#20 tip) This allows the top half to be lifted out, no need to remove bottom side cover. Then the #10 driver will be used to remove the assembly. disconnect the 3 wire connectors. Lift the combination switch right out. At this point you can take it apart, or go buy a new one ($80.00) So, the switch has the wiper and turn signal, as well as the cruise control switch. Both are an interigal part of the combination switch,and come out with the switch box. On the wiper side tape around the switch. This will maintain the springs in side the switch. Gently widen the head light side to give you the room to clean the grease out. I used a spray cleaner for electrical stuff. Use q-tips to reach inside and clean out the old grease. replace with electrial connector grease. reassemble the switch and reinstall it in the car.
  • meachel123meachel123 Member Posts: 1
    I also have the problem and have changed a new multifunction switch one month ago but it still do not work sometimes. Everytime it not works I need push the hazard button. :sick:
  • leemeansleemeans Member Posts: 1
    hey try this just did it to mine 04 grand am all in about 40 mins and only cost be $5.00 http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50126

any problems email me at lee.means@yahoo . com
  • necheneche Member Posts: 2
    So the turn signal issue is actually probably caused by corrosion on the actual circuit of the light assembly. We had this ongoing issue with our 03 & 04 Grand Am's - last year when we pulled the assembly apart to replace a burned out bulb, we discovered corrosion in the bulb sockets. After further inspection we discovered the entire circuit was pretty well corroded. I researched a replacement and found thru Amazon a car parts supplier that sold just the internal circuit part for under $20. We ordered 2 - (which snapped into the assembly) replaced both left and right - no issues since. It appears the seal around the light assembly is not good and allows moisture in. Not a surprise it is so corroded. Fixed the rapid blinking issue with the turn signal though - for about $40.
    ">link title
    Dorman 923-032 Tail Lamp Circuit Board
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SGA12C/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

good luck
  • gina35gina35 Member Posts: 8
    Ok assuming we're talkin about the same thing..when u turn on ur turn signals..u make ur turn .the turn signals dont flash anymore..but that clicking noise that sometimes will last up to !0 mins n my car..is so annoying and embarrasing! im tired of having ppl n my car sayin "whats that?" Ur turn signal on? Absolutley maddening>>i thought my car was the only one that did it! Good to know im not the only one!
  • kmabinkuskmabinkus Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I have a 2004 Grand Am Gt, and my turn signal occasionally stops working. Every time I take my vehicle to my Pontiac dealership, they tell me that nothing is wrong with the turn signal and that they were unable to reproduce the issue. Today the issue became more serious, my turn signal stopped working. I thought I may have a bad bulb, I have changed all of them and that is not the issue. I am afraid if I take my vehicle back to the dealership they will not be able to determine what is wrong with the turn signal. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    In reply to your turn signal issue, I would check the 4 way emergency (hazard) flasher. That part serves both the regular and the hazard lamps. My wifes Malibu had the same problem, check to see if the hazard lamps are not functioning as well. Hers started off doing what you have described and then quit entirely. The flasher is part of the switch the whole thing needs to be replaced I found one in the salvage yard for a whole lot less than the dealer price. They are also available at the automotive chain stores you'll have to check the price. It is simple replacement but requiers removing some trim and maybe if you're not familiar with doing that you may need to shop around to find someone familiar with replacing it to save some grief. Hope this helps.
    I had this problem and found the solution is to either clean or replace the multifunction switch. I don't have the web address but if you google "pontiac grand am multifunction switch problems" your bound to find it. It has instructions and pictures that show how to remove the switch, take the cover off, clean and regrease it and re-install. I cleaned mine around 65k miles and it worked fine for a long time. The second time I just replaced it, that was around 100k miles. The problem each time was a little different, the first time I had the random clicking like the turn signal was on, the second time the turn signal section became intermittent.
  • azzietayazzietay Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading the previous posts and was wondering if there was a recall on the "malfunction switch" that I wasn't aware of?? It has been going on for quite sometime but never knew what it was. Is it very hard to fix myself or should I take it in to get looked at.
    It's "multifunction switch".
    No recall that I'm aware of.
    It's not hard to repair, but it does depend on personal ability.