Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Extended Warranty & Service Offers

Comments

• namariasnamarias Member Posts: 11
    You are absolutely right (not in the left ;)). You can buy your extended before the earlier of the 2 warranties (powertrain is 5 years 60k and basic is 3 years 36k) expire.
    However, will you get such a sweet deal then for your warranty 3 years down the line? Ask that question to yourself and if the answer is yes then you can defer it.

I am a finance guy so I presume that
    PV (future extended warranty price) > $1079 ( the price I paid for 8yr/100k 0 down extended). This means that I will save more by investing on that extended warranty today.

All the best for your warranty search.
  • toyota2011toyota2011 Member Posts: 5
    Do you get the money back for the "unused portion" with midwest? and what exactly does that mean? - If you don't use it after 8years, you get ALL the money back? Or does the amount diminish over time? I used to have a Honda and paid 1500 , when I traded it in, I was refunded about 750. With Toyota, do you get the whole amount back???
  • sp91546sp91546 Member Posts: 1
    Dear "mastergunnera8," that, sir, is the exact point I've been trying to bring to people's attention.
    Thanks for being one of the few that "gets it."

Regards,

Shayn
    Houston, TX
  • dogood2dogood2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone, Two days age I bought a new 2011 Sienna LE. Today I discovered this forum. I wish these events had occurred in reverse order as I would have learned a lot that would have helped me in my purchase. But - that's the way it goes. Excellent forum with good questions and cogent answers. I'm especially interested in the discussion about extended warranties. I bought a Platinum Plan (8yrs. - 75,000 mi.) for $1000. The dealer said it was marked down from his usual price of $2000. But now that I see the plan from Midwest Toyota (8yrs.,100,000 mi.,and $709) I'm considering switching plans but have some questions. Where is Midwest Toyota and how do I contact them? Who do I contact? Somewhere in the forum I thought I read that it's best to buy the Plan from the dealer you bought the car from - true? Thank you for your consideration. John.
  • 3zhu3zhu Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone, thanks for this forum, and we have decided to cancel the extended warranty.

The dealer sold us 5 yr 80k for $1495. We bought it on $200 costco membership discount if we purchased the same day as the car (2011 Sienna). This is the first lie, as we later found out this price with discount is already $200+ higher than the Toyota's suggested retail price.

The dealer told us we have 30 days to cancel it. This is the second lie. We called Toyota Financial Services and were told that we will have 60 days (in CA) to cancel it once the dealer has submitted into the Toyota's system. Guess what, the dealer has not yet submitted the application when we called. We have plenty of time to cancel it.

Then we called the dealer and told them other Toyota authorized dealers offer much lower price. You already know what they told us: the dealers out of state could not sell you the warranty package reliably. This is the third lie. The Toyota Financial Service told us that we can purchase warranty package from any Toyota dealer, we should shop around, and as long as we purchase it before 3 year and/or 36k miles. Call them for yourself.

Just want to share this to all of you, so you get prepared when you shop. We are glad we can cancel it before too late. We have bought the same "expensive" warranty before(did not discover forum like this one. sigh). Enjoy shopping.
  • fjeff1fjeff1 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Thank you to everyone who posted info on this forum. I purchased a 2008 certified preowned Sienna on 10/15/10. We were offered the Platnium Extended warranty for $1250.00. I was not sure at the time of agreement whether we wanted this warranty so even though they made it seem like it was a decision that needed to be made at that moment you actually have until you pick up the vehicle. I stumbled upon this forum during my research and took a lot of the info and researched further. Something that’s not explained is that the coverage is pro-rated from the original date of purchase. Not your purchase date, the original owner’s date of purchase. My vehicle is a 2008, so since the coverage is for 7yrs 100,000miles three years of this has already been used. So I have coverage for 4yrs not 7 like they would have you think. This gives you more flexibility in the price. Also whoever said you have 40-50% play was absolutely correct. It was offered to me for 1250.00 and we paid 750.00. I shopped around. There’s a lot of dealers that will give you quotes right on-line. I also contacted Toyota financial direct (# is 1-800-228-8559) to see if this was something you can do and they said you can buy coverage from any dealer (if it’s pre-owned it must be purchased by pick up of the vehicle.) I got several quotes and they were a couple hundred less then what my dealer offered. So I went back to my Financial guy and didn’t get specific and said everything we did and that we shopped around and also contacted Toyota (say this so they know you did your homework) And told him we got several other quotes and if he can come down to $750.00 we have a deal. He didn’t even come back with a counter offer it kind of makes me feel like I should have gone for more. So like I said, don’t get specific just do your homework and make it sound like you have. And you’ll be good. Also a little info as to negotiating the sale price of your car. If you have small children bring them, and go near closing time to negotiate the sale. We got 3k off sticker 5k below book. Also got full value of our trade. We got a ridiculous deal Thanks to everyone on this forum !!!!
  • anwang168anwang168 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased extra 2 year of Toyota Auto Care when buying 2011 Sienna back in April. However, Toyota only mailed vouchers for the first 2 years. The customer rep told me the extra 2 years auto care is approved and the vouchers should be mailed out within 30 days. It has been more than 5 months and more than 4 phone calls since my first call. Of course, the answer is always the same - "It is approved and the vouchers should be mailed out within 30 days". They agent even knows that the vouchers are not mailed out yet. I do not know what Toyota is trying to do. However, my patience is running really thin right now. :mad: I guess Toyota think if they do not mail my vouchers in another 18 months, I probably will forget all about this purchase.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Demand a refund and watch them speed up the process...ridiculous.
  • anwang168anwang168 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I recieved the vouchers two days after I told Toyota Financial Service that I have filed complaints to CA Attorney General, DMV, and local BBB.

Of course, the TFS was trying to put all the blames on local dealer. They forgot that the vouchers were sent from TFS in FL and TFS received the order 6 months ago.
    There you go...good work.
  • kjenkskjenks Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2009 Sienna XLE with 36k miles a couple of days ago. Want to buy extended warranty, but the price quoted to me by financial manager was outrageous! 1yr/100K toyota platinum care 1981.00-seriously??? Is this price so high because the 3 yr/36K just ran out or are they trying to make major money off this??? Help!
  • fjeff1fjeff1 Member Posts: 2
    That's a rip off!!! Read my post above. I just bought a 2008 with 4yrs 60k extended warranty. It's based on the year and the mileage. If it's a true toyota warranty you should have 5yrs and 64k miles. and it's totaly negotiable. Mine after negotiations was $700.00. Good luck
  • aurelius1aurelius1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 Sienna LE two weeks ago in Central Florida, and have not yet purchased any additional extended care coverage. I spoke with different Toyota Florida dealers after the purchase, all of whom stated that a purchase of the Toyota Care extended warranties (as provided directly by Toyota) are fixed by the State (of Florida), and are non-negotiable. Anyone have any experience with this in Florida?
  • mnseattlemnseattle Member Posts: 2
    Hi John,

Who did you purchase the warranty from in Midwest Toyota? 8 yrs/100K for $709 is pretty good deal. I just purchased a 2011 Sienna XLE and got the platinum plan 8 yrs/75K miles for $1995+ tax, which I realize now is a rip off.

Thanks,
    MN
  • retriever1retriever1 Member Posts: 8
    MN,

I dealt with Jerry Jones from Midwest. Price was as advertised and the process was a breeze :)
  • tanker5tanker5 Member Posts: 36
    In 2006 I negotiated the extended warranty for a fuklky loaded XLE after seeing posts here. I had to settle for $900 as I wanted the Fidelity warranty of the local dealer who was also doing all my scheduled maintenance which I negotiated for the same cost as WalMart to rotate tires, change oil and complete manufacturer recommended checks. So far the extended warranty has picked up costs for Struts, new radio and motor for 3rd seat- over $4K. If you have electronics galore then I'd recommend negotiating a price from $750-$900. I never buy extended warranties of other products. Tanker
  • tanker5tanker5 Member Posts: 36
    In 2006 I negotiated the extended warranty for a fully loaded XLE after seeing posts here. I had to settle for $900 as I wanted the Fidelity warranty of the local dealer who was also doing all my scheduled maintenance which I negotiated for the same cost as WalMart to rotate tires, change oil and complete manufacturer recommended checks. So far the extended warranty has picked up costs for Struts, new radio and motor for 3rd seat- over $4K. If you have electronics galore then I'd recommend negotiating a price from $750-$900. I never buy extended warranties of other products. Tanker
  • brrrmnbrrrmn Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2012 Sienna XLE Limited van from our local dealer. We decided to purchase the extended warranty since we got all the bells and whistles on this van. Our dealer offered us a "deal" at $1670 for the 8 year/75,000 mile Platinum Toyota Extended Warranty. My husband had read on this forum that there were dealers offering much better deals on this same extended warranty plan so I called Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS and spoke to Jerry Johnson about the extended warranty. His price was $709 for EXACT same warranty from Toyota. Jerry was great to work with and we handled everything over the phone and he emailed me the invoice and is mailing the the paperwork to me. Since we live out of state we paid no sales tax on the warranty. I gave my dealer an opportunity to match this price and the closest they would come was $1070. I guess some dealers are just out to make excessive profit on these extended warranties. We would highly recommend contacting Jerry (800-530-5789 or 620-664-8844 cell) if you are looking for an extended warranty for Toyota, Scion, Lexus Platinum Factory Zero Deductible Warranty or Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln Factory Premium Care Warranty.
  • lxowner2lxowner2 Member Posts: 51
    Over a year later, and dealerships still use the same lies!

-I was offered a "package" and "discount" since I was a previous Toyota/Lexus customer. That moved super inflated prices to just inflated prices.

-I was told "you can only buy the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance plan the same day I purchase the car". Right.

-When I said no thanks, I was given a $200 "Costco discount" too. Nice.

-Then I was told about tire protection that does not cover my tires. Huh?

Molle Toyota in MO is the way to go for the extended warranty. They are actually cheaper than Midwest.
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    I am looking to buy a CPO sienna. Anyone have any thoughts about the price for an extended warranty for a 2011 Sienna with 32K miles that is toyota Certified Pre Owned?

I spoke with a midwest Toyota dealer that quoted me

7/100 $889
    8/100 $1039
    8/125 $1399

I would need to get this extended warranty before 36K miles and just thought that I would have the dealer remove the CPO and just get the EW from midwest. Or how much would the additional coverage of 7/100 platinum EW add to the CPO? I would think it would be less than the $889? All thoughts are appreciated.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited December 2011
    Last winter I purchased a 2008 CPO Sienna. In another thread somewhere on this board I went thru all the financials on the transaction.

The CPO plan basic warranty adds (last time I looked) a year and 12k miles to the bumper to bumper (so I guess that would take you to 44k miles), plus 7/100k on the powertrain. If they are advertising the van as CPO, they may have already done the paperwork and getting them to reverse it might be difficult. But it is a great thought as it could easily cut $1k or more from the price that could be then applied to the Platinum warranty.

The Platinum plans are available with different deductibles, so make sure those quotes are for the package you want. I paid $1450 for the 8/125 with $0 ded from a dealer in the Chicago area (Toyota of Danville) that I found on line. I put this on top of the CPO warranty, and agree that while it is moderately priced for a platinum plan, it is pretty crazy in that you already have some of this coverage from CPO - essentually you are paying twice! But it was the only way to get the B-to-B coverage that I wanted for the long haul.

You would think that there would be some kind of discount when adding a Platinum plan to a CPO plan. And indeed there is a CPO Platinum plan that differs slightly from a 'regular' Platinum plan. You have to read the fine print to see the differences. Mainly it entailed the Roadside Assistance terms. But the selling dealer wasn't willing to deal on the price to the extent that I could get it from another dealer, plus by going out of state I skipped on the sales tax. In the end, it was better to go regular platinum than CPO platinum.
  • jhotojhoto Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2010 Sienna less than a year and half ago. It has about 45,000 miles and I wish I had purchased an extended warranty. Is it too late to buy one now?
    Your bumper-to-bumper warranty expired at 36,000 miles, so it would probably cost a lot more and require an inspection at this point, if it is even possible.

Just put the money in a separate savings fund, and hopefully you'll never use it, so you can apply it to your next car.
  • energymonkeyenergymonkey Member Posts: 11
    Got a great deal from Jerry at Midwest Toyota as well. We have a 2011 Sienna XLE that was nearing 36k after 18 months. Talked to Jerry and got a 5 year/125k Toyota Platinum warranty with $0 deductible for $799. I went to my dealer and he gave me a price of $1400. Showed him Jerry's offer and he immediately came down to $1049. But that was the "best he could do". And warned me that the Midwest Toyota warranty was likely aftermarket because they could not sell it that inexpensively. I received the Toyota warranty in the mail today. Call Jerry....
  • lmw3lmw3 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading this forum--and the "Buying/Purchasing a Sienna" forum--for the last two weeks as I went through the process of purchasing a 2012 Sienna XLE. It's been very, very
    helpful. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

What I'd like to say is that I purchased an 8yr./100,000 mile Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty ($0 deductible) from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS. His price was $1039.00. The closest competitor's was $1090 for the exact same warranty. My dealer here in Texas offered me a third-party warranty (also known as an insurance policy) for anywhere around $2145 to $2400, depending on how I financed the thing. I did not give them a chance to match Midwest Toyota's deal.

Why other Toyota dealerships don't offer such a deal is puzzling. Even more puzzling that some offer non-Toyota/third-party warranties. Oh well, it literally pays to do a little extra research and homework about these things. Here's hoping that my extended warranty will
    pay for itself someday between years 4 through 8 or 36,000 to 100,000 miles!
  • jlm86jlm86 Member Posts: 3
    I picked up nice 2006 Limited 38k miles, excellent condition.

What do you think of spending $1200.00 on warranty? Can't decide..

Route 66 warranty will cost 1,200 or so from what i hear..

thanks
    Avoid aftermarket plans as they close shop every few years and run away with your cash. OEM or nothing.
  • hyundai2011hyundai2011 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2012
    I recently bought a Sienna. The finance guy tried to sell me extended warranty (platinum, 0 deductible) for $1400. When I told him that I could buy the warranty online for around $800 he told me that I would have to pay tax on it and I can avoid the tax by purchase it from him (as I was approved for 0% apr) and he offered it for $1200. I told him that I could buy online from out of state dealers without tax. He told me that such a warranty will not be valid in California. Is it true? I did not buy the warranty from him. However, before I buy it online i just want to make sure.. your comments are appreciated. Thanks.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    I bought a Toyota platinum warranty from a dealer in MO and I am in CA. The paperwork came from Toyota without delay or question. The cost numbers are around the same as you are quoting and I did not have to pay sales tax or any other fees. The only advantage to buying through the dealer I can think of would have been to wrap it up into the financing, but that is far outweighed by the cost savings.
    Platinum with $0 deductible is a good start, but make sure you are also talking the same 'plan': years and mileage, as there are at least 6 combos available up to 8 yrs / 125k miles.

You gotta love the stories these guys like to tell. It is true that some states do by law prohibit the purchase of extended warranties out of their state (FL, for instance). Check to be sure.
  • rhaine86rhaine86 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Just bought a CPO 2011 Sienna yesterday from the dealership - at signing we were asked about adding the wrap-around warranty as the current 7yr/100k only covered power train - cost was $1695. We were told we could only add it then at the time of sale but that we can cancel it anytime in the next 30 days and get a full refund. We went ahead and got it so as not to miss out on a potentially good thing and figured we'd research it more later.

So here I am - researching. In general I've always heard extended warranties are a waste of money - and at $1700 I definitely don't want to waste!

The van has just over 36k miles on it and was previously a rental. I just don't know what to do...whether to keep the warranty or let it go. Thoughts? Most posts/replies I've seen refer to *new* vehicles which is why I'm asking. Do people have to haggle with the repair centers to get things covered under the warranty? And if Toyota is so reliable and well-built as has been touted for so long...do they actually *get* used??

Thanks in advance-
  • hyundai2011hyundai2011 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the comments. I have called Toyota Financial and confirmed that I can buy the warranty from any dealer (out of state dealer too. It will be valid in California and other states). I have called Jerry Johnson of Midwest Toyota and purchased 8 year 75000 platinum 0 deductible warranty from him. I highly recommend him. He answered all my questions clearly in email (as well on phone). He gives you the best deal.
    Excellent! Glad to hear that it worked out for you.
    Unless they changed it, the basic CPO plan covers 1/12 full bumper to bumper, and 7/100 powertrain with a deductible ($50, I think…). So that gives you a year and to 48k miles of full coverage.

Concerning the Platinum plan, your dealership didn’t lie to you, but they didn’t really tell you the whole truth either! There is a special version of the Platinum plan for CPO purchases that is only available on the date of vehicle sale. From reading the fine print, I only see that it enhances Roadside Assistance (lifetime instead of 1 year, IIRC).

If the vehicle was under 36k, you could add a standard Platinum plan at any time from another dealer. As you are over 36k, this might be an issue, however, being that you have a year of CPO coverage ahead of you, Toyota might let you add a plan during this ‘extended grace period’. Better make some inquiries to sellers quickly to be sure!

On the question of whether or not to add one…. Depends on your luck and history with cars. My #1 concern is electronics. Failures on these systems can be more costly than major engine work, and is probably more likely.

I added a 8 yr / 125k platinum $0 deductible to my CPO vehicle for $1450 from a dealership in Illinois. Buying out of state also saves you the sales tax.

A couple of hooks to consider should you decide to cancel the one you took.

1) If you rolled it into the financing, you are screwed. The check goes from Toyota ExtraCare to the lender as an advance paydown on the loan. You won't see a dime of it. The only way to really get your money back is if you were fortunate enough to have used your credit card to pay for the warranty separate from the vehicle contract.

2) If you paid tax, you may have to lobby the taxing authority to refund the money. Toyota ExtraCare doesn't get it, so they don't give it back. That transaction is between the dealership and the State.

Wonderful, isn't it? More stuff that the dealership didn't tell you when they advertised it as "REFUNDABLE". Technically it is, but you may never see it! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    We were informed that the regular 1yr 12k comprehensive warranty starts at the date of original purchase and in this case it was in 8/2010 so it is out of the regular bumper to bumper coverage provided for a new vehicle.

To be more clear - what we purchased on top of the Cert. used vehicle limited warranty (which basically just covers power train) is the Certified Platinum Plan. $0 deductible, roadside assistance, possibly transferable...

Did your CPO vehicle have over 36k on it when you purchased your warranty? I'm assuming not- from what I've read in previous threads, buying from a separate dealership was only available when under 36k or buying new.

I'm thinking we'll likely keep it on there considering we *did* roll it into the loan and won't see a decrease in the monthly payment amount from canceling it, and it does give us an extra 60k with more comprehensive coverage.

Ugh!! So stressful to work it all out -
    More misinformation designed to make you jump:

http://www.toyotacertified.com/warranty.html

How long is the Toyota Certified Used Vehicle Warranty in effect?

12-month/12,000-mile Comprehensive Warranty
    Whichever comes first from the date of Toyota Certified Used Vehicle purchase.

7-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty
    Whichever comes first from the original date of first use when sold as new.

1-year of Roadside Assistance
    From the date of Toyota Certified Used Vehicle purchase.

Net = you are covered by a new car equivalent warranty right now!

What you were told: "We were informed that the regular 1yr 12k comprehensive warranty starts at the date of original purchase and in this case it was in 8/2010 so it is out of the regular bumper to bumper coverage provided for a new vehicle". This makes absolutely no sense, as the basic 3 yr / 36 warranty is in effect from the date of original purchase!

When we bought our CPO van it was under 3 yrs old with 20k miles. So we were initially covered by the end of the original 3/36, on top of that the 12/12 comprehensive warranty, and then we added the Platinum extension.

Now again, per the downloadable brochure: you can only get the special CPO Platinum plan on the day of purchase "This protection is only available at the time you purchase your TCUV." So you were wise to do something.

I just hate the BS and lack of full & factual disclosure. This stuff should be in writing by law.
  • mthomasdbmthomasdb Member Posts: 15
    After reading several posts, I gave Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota a call. He quoted me $1039.00 for an 8 year, 100,000 on my new 2012 Sienna. I immediately returned to my dealer to try to renegotiate the 1395.00 price on a 7 year, 75,000 Toyota platinum warranty that I had just purchased. (He originally wanted $1950 for the 8 year warranty which is why I did not opt for it.) My dealer told me that they do not negotiate extended warranties and refunded me my money. I purchased the warranty from Jerry and referred a friend who also bought one. Jerry answered his phone promptly and was extremely courteous and helpful. I received the warranty today and it was exactly as promised. It is so great to deal with a company who is not out to make a weekly away off one customer!
  • aceventura22aceventura22 Member Posts: 1
    First of all a million thanx to Jerry Johnson of Midwest Toyota for being a beacon of love and light to all. My daughter told me to say, "We Love you man!"

I happen to look at this forum since we're looking into buying a Sienna. And sure enough, when we closed the deal with the dealer, they offered us extended warr for 8y/100K for $2400, which I smiled and declined.

We purchased the 8yr/100Kmile Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty ($0 deductible) from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS for $1039.00.

I'll add that we did get a good deal for our new 2012 Sienna XLE with Nav+ for $33K+ tax&lic, so I commend Elk Grove Toyota here in California as well.

Now all I need to know more about is the Toyota Care plan, pros and cons.

Here's Jerry's contact info if you're in the market:
    Jerry Johnson
    Warranty Manager
    Phone 800-530-5789
    Email jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
    FYI, Jerry Johnson at Midwest is not the best price in town. Molle Toyota in MO is the best price hands down, and has an equally good reputation. :shades:
  • sklbasesklbase Member Posts: 1
    I also recently purchased a AWD Sienna LE - the dealership (Broadway Toyota) offered me a 7yr/100,000 zero deductible platinum warranty for $2400. Needless to say, I did not take it. Interesting to note that the Toyota Financial website quotes a lower price - around $1700 MSRP for that warranty.

I ended up contacting Jerry at Midwest Superstore, and bought the same warranty (7yrs, 100,000 mi) for $890. What a bargain. As other posters have indicaed, it is a factory warranty and is valid at any Toyota dealership.

So, once again, here is Jerry's contact info:

Jerry Johnson
    Warranty Manager
    Phone 800-530-5789
    Email jerryjmidwestsuperstore.com
  • svisvi Member Posts: 4
    what about the Toyota Total care.

I just finished my financing paperwork and I received a quotation of $1049 (with Costco discount) at Toyota Sunnyvale and $1500 for 5 year/75K maintenance and $400 for road tire hazard.

after reviewing the forum, it looks like I should cancel this.
    and just get the 7yr extended warranty from Jeryy or the MO guy.

what is your opinion on the prepaid maintenance costs?
    I believe Toyota is now covering 2 years of maintenance for free.
    so really we are only talking about years 3 thru 5.
    and if we put in 12k miles a year, thats 25K, 35K, 40K, 45K, 50K,55K - 6 minor services and 30k and 60k - 2 major services.
    how much would that cost?

does extended warranty also cover road tire hazard? is that worth it?
    he says due to cost of tires, it is worth it - but i guess that will be available also cheaper elsewhere.
    What kind of tires do you have? If you have run-flats, be sure to read the back of the contract and make sure run-flats are covered. The contract I have excludes run-flats. I accidentally purchased a tire protection plan that the Toyota finance dufus said would cover run-flats, and then learned that it doesn't, so 3 months later, I still don't have my refund of $650 yet.

As for the prepaid maintenance cost plan, I would say not worth it. You can deal with each service when it is time, and get coupons/offers/% off, so it does not make sense to pay for it all upfront now.
  • monicashereemonicasheree Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty after the 3/36K has expired? Was it worth it? I'm going Saturday to complete the purchase of a 2008 Sienna XLE with DVD, Navigation, Leather, power everything, etc.. an was wondering if I should purchase an extended warranty.

I normally don't even consider the extended warranties but I just got rid of a 2006 Cadillac SRX that the warranty would have no doubt paid for itself several times over with all of the repairs we had. I'm not having much luck finding info about warranties of this nature by searching online except for this forum and even at that most if not all seemed to have been purchased prior to the 3yr/36K expiration.
  • stvyzermanstvyzerman Member Posts: 1
    So of course I didn't read up on this before buying our new van, and ended up paying $1300 for the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. I went back to the dealer today, 2 weeks after buying the car and they tell me that they cannot cancel it at this point since the paperwork was submitted already to Toyota. Is this true? And can I still call and cancel it and then buy the same exact product for cheaper elsewhere? Lastly, will I be stuck paying an inflated monthly payment for the remainder of my financing since the warranty was rolled in? Thanks in advance for the advice.
  • jekkajekka Member Posts: 3
    The dealer must have given you a copy of the application. Call the Toyota Financial services (800-228-8559) and request for cancellation of the application. You have 30 days from the date you bought the extended warranty ( called VSA by toyota) to cancel it.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    edited May 2012
    Boy, talk about easy...

A couple of emails and a phone call with VIN and cc# and I'm the happy owner of an 8 yr/100,000 plan courtesy of Doug at Toyota of Danville (IL). Doug supports "Sienna Chat" so I supported him. Plus, he's within driving distance if I need a FTF for any reason.
  • mbillombillo Member Posts: 8
    Yep I agree. Thumbs up for Doug. Closed my Platinum (8Yrs/100K/0Ded) on my Sienna last week. BTW he beat Jerry's quote and was much quicker to respond. SiennaChat is how I located him.

Thanks Doug
    Sorry, but didn't see your message until now.

Yes, you can cancel the plan thru TFS, but they will not renegotiate the loan. Therefore they will make a principle payment against the outstanding balance, thereby reducing the term of the loan. The monthly payment, however, will remain the same.

Next insult will be trying to get a refund on the sales tax if you state charges tax. It didn't go to TFS, so they will naturally refuse to refund it. The dealer paid it to the state. In some states, "insurance policy" taxes are not refundable, so they may refuse. You may have to go to your state's attorney general for help on this.
  • jinneebhatjinneebhat Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a certified 2008 Toyota Sienna 73 K miles on it
    Is it worth to have an extended warranty on this vehicle by taking out another 1000? Please advice