Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• I have a '92 Civic. When it is a real cold, sleety day or night, my car will actually spray ice pellets into the car through the heater duct when I turn it on. Once up to temperature, it just steams the windows. Regular snow is fine, and rain doesn't get in, just the little, round, crystallized ice pellets. I wish I had AC only for that reason (to dehumidify).
  • Hate to differ with you but "leather trimmed" seats on the SE means that the seat sides and back are not leather. The seating area is 100% leather. If you look at all cars being sold now a days, that is the way they are. Rare to see a 100% full leather seat other than maybe an exotic car and I'm not sure about that. Yes, the seating areas are leather. Ask any Honda dealer.
    Gonzo
  • rikarika Posts: 8
    Hi, I'm trading in my CRV. 4WD LX 1999, 9000Miles on it no CD player ,no accesaries.
    color is red. Car dealer said he'll give me
    $14,800 for it. I think I should get more. What is your opinion?
  • I am shopping for an SUV and am interested in the CRV. Any idea when the 2002 will be released and what new changes there might be? I'd like to stay in the mini SUV range, but like options on some other makes. Any info would be appreciated.
  • Hi, I own 1999 CR-VEX with 11,500 miles on it. I would like to know if I need to buy extended warranty, which costs approximately $1,000 for 100,000 miles (7 years). Thank you.
  • mrsmacmrsmac Posts: 2
    My car did the same thing the first day I got it. I had to call the dealer, he said the wheel locks as kind of a safety feature. All you have to do is turn your wheel to the left and your key should turn. No need to rock your car or anything. It might take a little tug to the left, but thats it. Works every time for me.
  • Thanx, mrsmac. It just occurred twice that day, never occurred again.
  • After a couple of months of test drives and research I finally purchased my Honda this last weekend. I found Edmunds to be a great help so I wanted to post my thoughts, decision making process, and experiences over time with this vehicle. I got this model right at the invoice price of $18,600. I would also heavily recommend that if you are financing this vehicle that you check out sites such as E-Loan.com. There rates were about 1.5% lower than any rates I could get at the Honda dealerships.

As for my decision, my wife and I test drove about eight different small, midsize, and hybrid SUV vehicles. These included the Subaru Imprezza wagon, the Subaru Forrester, Jeep Cherokee, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Toyota Rav4, Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape, and the Hyundai Sante Fe. Most if not all of these vehicles can be purchased for about $20k or less, all have 4 doors, and all have some sort of 4WD or AWD capability.

I can say that the decision was a tough one and we were generally impressed with the quality and selection of vehicles that were available in this price range.

We went with the Honda primarily because of its reliability, good resale value, and because it could be purchased for less than $19k even with AWD and an automatic transmission. Its primary weaknesses (at least to us) were its mediocre engine performance as well as mediocre crash tests results. All and all a very well balanced on-road performer at a reasonable price.

As for the other vehicles we surveyed I have some opinions about them as well. I thought the CRV's toughest competitor is the Subaru Forrester. Its a better performing vehicle on road and has more standard features but it will cost you about a $1000 more and has less interior room.

I just couldn't make a decision yet on the Hyundai, the Ford, or the Mazda. They are so new that important info like reliability over time and safety test performance just aren't available. They all had lots of power and space. I felt the Jeep Cherokee is still the best off-road performer of the group but that just wasn't that importnat too us. The Suzuki looks nice and will probably be a good vehicle, but I really think its overpriced for what you get.
  • regan9regan9 Posts: 2
    I just found out there was so much damage to my 2000 CRV from the accident with the drunk driver, that they are saying it's totaled. Now comes the awful task of fighting with the other driver's insurance company. I am so bummed because I had been researching this vehicle for 2 years before I finally bought it 6 months ago and every time I would get in to drive it, I would just start to smile because I looked forward to driving it. I loved my CRV! It's so sad to see it all crunched up, but I will tell you that the front bumper and engine did there job during the crash because the inside of the vehicle still looks perfect. It kept me safe and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

My rental vehicle is a Toyota 4-Runner which is really nice but I still like my CRV better. I live up north and we have had quite a bit of snow so far this winter and I personally like how the CRV handled in the snow better than the 4-Runner. Hopefully I will be able to settle this situation with the insurance soon so that I can get myself back into a CRV.
  • unityunity Posts: 2
    What's a decent price before adding the destination and what else? Cstephan #548, what's an AWD LX and was your price including destination etc.? I'm also considering 2000 and 1999 models. Any thoughts on price for used ones?
    Thanks!
  • k6ncxk6ncx Posts: 10
    Some review that I read (and now can't find again) said that child seat anchors (not the top tether, but the lower anchor used instead of the adult belt) were coming in the 2001 CRVs, but were not in place in the initial shipments. The local Honda dealer didn't know about this (one way or the other - in fact the sales manager didn't even seem to know about LATCH at all, which seems weird especially since he has a kid and a child seat!) and I can find nothing on Honda's web site about it. Does anybody know for sure if they are coming (and if so, when) or not?
  • Honda version of MDX sounds like it is two years away. Updated CR will be in soon. I like the looks of the Rodeo/Passport. Too bad for Isuzu's quality and reliability. It's better than some but not match to true Honda.

While waiting for the Honda's MDX, wouldn't it be great to have V6 CR? I don't know much about mechanics but it appears to be plenty of room under the hood for 3.0L engine. Anyone has any info on the new CR? Thanks.

P.. Only two reason that we didn't bought the CR: power and the steering wheel position. My wife is petite and her arms were aching test driving. Looked like she was driving a bus.
    I'm embarassed to say that it didn't even occur to me to ask about this at the dealer, and I didn't notice when I was in the vehicle. I don't have CRV literature (the dealer was out), and I can't seem to find the info on the dealer or American Honda web sites...

Is the AWD on the CRV fulltime (I think not, given the "realtime" slogan, whatever that means or doesn't...), or manually controlled (I think not), or auto? If auto, on what basis? How do I know when it's in effect, or can I know? It's front drive when it isn't driving all four, yes?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    The Real-time system on the CRV means it is essentially a front-wheel-drive until slippage at the front wheels is detected, and then power is partially transferred to the rear. Which in reality means you would never experience 4WD unless you are stuck in snow (or mud). To top it off, I think there is a slight delay in the transfer of power too.
  • RT4WD is a automatic, part-time system. The system consists of a clutch pack, located just forward of the rear differential, and a pair of hydraulic pumps. Under normal traction conditions (no wheel slippage), the pumps operate at the same speed. When slippage occures, the pumps operate a different speeds, which forces fluid to engage the clutch pack and allow power transfer to the rear axle. All that is necessary for power transfer is a 2-3% speed difference between the front and rear axle.

Under normal throttle application, you may never notice that power is being routed to the rear axle. Nail the throttle from a stop and you will get a little wheel spin from the front before the rears engage. The only way you may know it is working is that you keep going where otherwise you would have been stuck.

RT4WD will engage on loose surfaces, wet roads, snow, ice, mud, etc. You do not have to be stuck for it to activate.

I personally have driven through over 15" of snow, on a beach, across a sand wash, up a wet grass hill, an apple orchard, across a flooded street and through a muddy field (but not at the same time). Each time I have had no problems.
    To get 15" of snow on a beach? :)
  • Thanks for your help, folks. I just purchased a 2001 EX--5 speed. It's silver and the only options I went with were front mud guards and the cover for the back (I forget what you call it, the thing that hides your packages). Anyway, because I have two big dogs, I hit the local SuperKMart for a mat to cover the whole back area when he seats are down and I'll have the back windows tinted to keep the temperature down for the dogs. BUT I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS....

1) Should I get the "Honda Care" Extended warranty--$1230 + tax for 7 years and 100K miles.

2) What do you think about getting the car rustproofed? I live in Northeast Ohio where there's lots of salt on the roads. I read where cars these days are protected well enough that rustproofing doesn't matter... If I did get it rustproofed, would it help the road "noise" I hear at high speeds on the freeway? (I keep thinking I need to shift gears again, but it's just the noise)

3)Are wheel locks a good idea? From the dealer or from somewhere else?

4) If I want to add a cassette deck and better speakers, where is the best place to have that done. I am not going to install them myself. Would going to "Best Buy" or "Circuit City" void my Honda warranty?

5) What about those "plastic" stone defector things that go on the front of the hood? Do they work? (I don't care if they look cool or not) I do not want to get a nose guard as had one for my civic and didn't like it.

6) Has anyone else been told to vary your speed for the first 600 miles on the freeway and not to use the cruise control? Why was this?

7) Where can I get a cheap cargo net to put groceries in along the back end so they don't roll around while the dogs are in the car? I don't want to pay the exhorbitant prices the dealer would charge. However, I don't do drilling on my car myself--so maybe the dealer is the only answer

You folks have been great help as I researched this purchase! I almost feel like I have my old civic wagon back!!! Any of you former civic wagon owners now owning a CR? How do you compare them? (Minus the MPG comparison...)

I'm excited about this car!!
    I don't have answers to all your questions, but for what it's worth:
    1. The CR-V has proven to be quite problem-free, so I don't think you'd need to shell out for the extended warranty. In 4 years, I have not had to bring mine in for a warranty repair.
    2. If you are referring to the tar-like stuff they spray on the underside for rustproofing, it doesn't do much for sound insulation. The CR-V is just inherently noisy. I suppose if you live in an area that uses ALOT of salt, you may want to get it for that purpose.
    3. I'm not aware that the CR-V alloys and tires are common target of thieves, so the wheel locks may not be necessary. But on the other hand, if it gives you some peace of mind at a cost of only about $50...
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    1) Since its introduction in '97, the CR-V has had a very good reliability record. If you just have to give yourself a little extra insurance, take that $1230 and stash it into a high yielding CD or money market account. That money would go a long way towards even a major repair job if needed after the three-year standard warranty is up. The best part is that there is a good chance you won't need it, so the money is still yours!

3) I've never heard of CR-V wheels being a theft target, but I sleep a little better with wheel locks on my car. There are several Honda dealerships that sell accessories online for less than the typical dealer. Check out http://www.handa-accessories.com for one dealer I would recommend.

4) Don't be afraid to read your warranty. It clearly states that a warranty claim isn't valid only if it can be shown that an aftermarket installation caused the damage you need fixed. You're still covered.

Those are your questions I can best answer. The number one suggestion I have for you as a new owner is to check out the CR-V Information Exchange at http://www.hondasuv.com. Good information on the site, good owner-to-owner communication on the forum. Don't get me wrong, I do love Edmunds Town Hall . . . but it's tough to beat an online community that's "all CR-V, all the time."

• I did not purchase this type of insurance foy my CR. My sister did for her Pathfinder, but she has to strickly follow the insurance recommended maintanence. Otherwise, the insurance will decline your claims, just for that reason. At the same time, Honda has a good name for reliability. You might not need it at all.
    "6) Has anyone else been told to vary your speed for the first 600 miles on the
    freeway and not to use the cruise control? Why was this?"

This sounds like standard break-in advice given for almost all cars for at least the last three decades.
  • varmitvarmit Posts: 1,125
    Just got back from a trip to the middle of nowhere, great white north (Lameque, New Brunswick). It's located on the coast and is covered in snow most of the winter. I saw a number of CR-Vs and other mini-utes, but the dominant one was the old Chevy Tracker (pre '96). Odd. I guess the mini-ute craze hit earlier up there.

k6ncx - I think what you are describing is the Iso-fix system. It's a bracket of sorts that is firmly attached to the frame of the car's seat. The child seat then attaches to the bracket. The system hasn't become standardized yet, so I don't think any car manufacturers are making it standard equipment.

Regan9 - You'll be back in the drivers seat soon!

Gonzo - You may be correct, but I got that info about the leather seats from Bing at CRV IX. I believe that he got the info from his dealer.

What you've described is how Acura cut costs on the TL and CL. This is typically referred to as "leather seating surfaces" and not "leather trimmed seats". Also, it is not uncommon for cars to have full leather. Many of the cars in the entry level luxury segment have full leather. The TL is often criticized for being an exception. Personally, I could car less if the fries that fall between the seats are resting on real leather or synthetic. I just want it to be comfy and look reasonably good.

Side note: I pick up my wife's new TL next weekend. Wahoo!
  • Skip the warranty. You'll be well over 100k before anything major breaks.
    Ask around to your friends if they rustproof. Get different opinions. I did because the road crews around me salt like the dickins and I can hose off as often as I like.
    Get the wheel locks. I got the dealer to throw them in, but its cheap to keep the wheels, just in case. I noticed a lot of RAVs with stolen spares around town, so I got the locks. Make sure you get five locks.
    I don't like the installer du jour you find at Best Buy or CC. Find a good independant shop and have them do the work. They take pride in what they are doing.
  • I'm looking at '97-'98 used CR-V's. I'm interested if anyone has come up with a solution to cover the back area so semi-valuables aren't in plain sight of passers-by. We used to have an early '80s Plymouth horizon that came with a security panel which covered the hatchback area. Something like this would be nice for the CR-V, if it were available. Any advice welcome.
    Thanks.
    For our '97 CR-V we bought a genuine Honda cargo cover. It's a very unsophisticated design. Basically you have to drill 2 holes on each side of the cargo area into which you would insert 2 flexible rods which support the nylon cover. If you don't want to cover up the cargo area, you would just unplug one of the rods and roll up the cover. It looks tidy and OK but takes a bit of extra effort to put in place. But for 2001 I know Honda has come up with a retractible cover. However I don't know if that can be fitted to a pre-2001 model.
  • You can fit the retractable cover in an earlier model CR-V, but it is a lot of work. It is a DYI job, but not for the less than handy.
  • Thanks to tomcat99, canadiancl and beatfarmer for the helpful responses (and to any others that may still respond). The H and A Accessory place seems to have what we need if we proceed with a CR-V purchase.

Regards.
  • Hello fellow CRV owners,
    I have a problem I was hoping you could help me with. We recently parked our two month old CRV in the underground parking garage of a local Hotel. It was raining outside and the rain leached through cracks in the ceiling of the garage and dripped all over the top and back of my CRV. It left a white residue(maybe Calcium) that would not come off when I took it through the car wash. I was able to get it off the rear glass by using Lime-away, but this product is not recommended for painted surfaces. Any suggestions of how to get it off the paint without damaging the paint?
    Thanks
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,902
    Try getting a clay bar and lube at the local auto supply store. Read and follow the instructions on the box. Used properly, clay can remove many messes on the paint.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a detail shop and have them look at it.

Good Luck