Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 335i vs Infiniti G37

Comments

• Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "1.) I'd never buy a BMW. Too much liability and reliability hassles. Several mechanics have warned me that BMW's tend to fall appart after 4 years. So, I'd rather lease'em.

2.) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires: good idea however you get 2-3 less mpg and they tend to be slippery when cold (before driving 15-20 minutes).

ROTFLMAO! :cry:
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    As for the other advice (i.e. keeping your current car and adding some go fast goodies or tarting up a 335i), personally I don't see the point of either. Maybe it's just me.

I used to think that when I was younger but the performance difference in today's cars considering the price to do it right vs.utility is just not worth it (read:EGO BOOST ONLY).

In a BMW, if you want performance, get any of the M cars. The 335 is a sedan with a great blend of performance that can't be maximized on the roads by 99% of the owners anyway. Watch the warranty when upgrading even if you lease, by the way.

Dinan upgrdes are OK if you are going to use the car for the track.

All hobbies come with a cost and racing has a higher cost to the non-do-it-yourself set.

To each his own. No point to me. I'll take it stock,please.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    Hello Pat,

I agree with your sentiment..I only wish everyone else did as well. I won't let insulting remarks go unchecked. I hope you'd agree with me on that one.

I come here to talk about cars. Specifically..I'm talking about cars that I'm seriously considering. This isn't just casual talk here. I've used Edmunds forums since around... 1999 I believe..when I bought my first car on the internet. Toyota Camry XLE V6. I must've posted hundreds of posts..and read tens of thousands..No exageration.

Right now, the 335i and G37 are on my radar. And I appreciate impressions and friendly suggestions. I also appreciate the freedom to post my opinions about CARS..and not people.

Ok..lets get back to talking about the cars I and millions of others want to buy already.

Keep it friendly.

Joseph
    San Diego
    blog: http://www.carspace.com/blogs/enthusiastsdilemma08
  • Options
    I believe that the 335i is a beautiful piece of engineering.
    It's sporty, elegant, relatively simple..has great low end torque and handling, its steering feel is great.

Unfortunately, its missing a sporty extreme edge I wish it had..More in appearance than anything else. Hard to explain... well..just look at its interior..for example. Yes it's refined inside and tidy, but it's just a tad bland no? The front bumber is also, way too tame IMO. dishing out $50k should be a bit more exciting

Joseph
    San Diego
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Right now, the 335i and G37 are on my radar

Heres a thought, why don't you test drive the stuffings out of the two contenders and post your comments. This way we can talk about the cars instead of picking on other members' posts.
  • Options
    You would need the sport package but if you need a more appealing interior according to your tastes, you might want the G35. Not as refined as the 335 IMHO but a great car non-the-less.

If you want true race level performance, these both seem put of your prferences.

Try the 135i in a few months or the '08 Mitsu Evolution MR/WRX STi. Might be better for you.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    The BMW 3-series has always been an understated sedan. From the boxy E30 all the way through to the purposeful E46, it has never had "a sporty extreme edge." The E90 simply follows the same formula that has made the 3-series one of the most enduring and popular cars of all time. Heck, even BMW decribes the 3-series as "clean, uncluttered and elegant."

Maybe you should check out the Cadillac CTS, Acura TL-S, and Lexus IS-350. All are arguably more stylish/edgy looking than the 3-series, and many people on these forums think the interiors are nicer too.
  • Options
    I've test driven the 335i. I feel thoroughly satisfied with what it delivers in terms of driving dynamics. It delievered everything I expected without further wanting.

The experience was kind of like having a perfect dinner at a fine Italian restaurant.
    It reminded me of a recent experience I had one peaceful night on Thompson St. in the Village, NYC. There I was with a beautiful girl that I care about in front of me to watch while I feast on one of my favorite dishes.. Zoupe de Pesce, sipping on Pinor Noir and after which having esspresso and chocolate gelato before having a short pleasant walk back to myplace. It was really nice.I remember asking myself in the morning; how much more complete can a night get??

That's how I felt after the test drive! Thoroughly satisfied.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • Options
    cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Well I ended up going with the G37. I know there is no 335ci, I just referred to it that way because I was discussing my thoughts on the 335i sedan and since both have the same moniker, I added the "c" for clarity purposes.

I know that the powertrains are all the same, I just did not feel comfortable in the 335i sedan, as I explained if maybe it was the door pillar in my peripheral, I don't know but the coupe felt more airy and hence was my choice if I were to go with the BMW. they were obviously the same power-wise but the sloped windshield made the coupe feel nicer for me.

So basically my preference for the coupe was not based on driving but on style and I simply enjoyed being in the coupe more.

If you do go with a 335i, you would be wasting your money with any "xi" model it adds weight, worse gas mileage and it really does not address the challenges of winter driving. Get a 335i, winter wheel/tires and simply drive prudently knowing that you have traction control and anti-skid, which is probably the single most important technological development to safer winter driving. Take it from me, I am in Ottawa where we have crazy winters!
  • Options
    If you do go with a 335i, you would be wasting your money with any "xi" model it adds weight, worse gas mileage and it really does not address the challenges of winter driving.

I beg to differ, and for the record, the G35x suffers "the same" weight issues as the "xi".

AWD adds quite of driveability in snow and totally mitigates winter driving conditions especially with 4 snow tires, except for sheet ice. Having owned AWD, RWD, RWD with snows and FWD...AWD offers the best traction, yes at the expense of some added weight. AWD and all seasons is more versatile and stable than RWD with snows.
  • Options
    I may go with the 335i coupe. I don't feel a need or reason to get the xi. I live in San Diego. It usually hardly rains here and it never snows. I have the impression that XI is just an added complication to a car. It may add traction, but usually..added weight defeats the gains and numbs the driving experience. Obviously, there are exceptions.. GTR for example..but that is an extreme case.

Even if I lived where it snowed in the winter..I'd opt for snow tires rather than get the xi. And, if someone lived where it snowed very oftern, a 3series BMW should not even be a consideration IMO. In extreme weather, I'd probably consider an SUV or pickup truck.

Thank God I no longer live in Vermont. A beautiful place in its own right, but sheet metal rusts there faster than I thought possible. If I owned a 3series there, I'd garage it until the summer, and drive an F150 or Tacoma or something all other times.

Joseph
    San Diego
    my blog: http://www.carspace.com/blogs/enthusiastsdilemma08/
  • Options
    My point really has nothing to do with the G35x, because my argument would apply to that model as well.

You may have better driveability, certainly form a stop light but if you are entering a bend, what is AWD going to do for you? You will still plow into a snowbank and park your car next to the 4x4 that is stuck as well. Dynamic Stability Control, or yaw control or anti-skid will stop your winter-tired rwd car from meeting that snowbank. That is the greatest challenge of winter driving, a car that starts to slide and short of being a very experienced driver, this mechanism is the be all and end all of winter driving, IMHO.

AWD is overrated.
  • Options
    Actually a 3 series would be totally fine with the right winter tires. I drive my 2005 Mustang Gt in the winter. It really is not a big deal. Is ot a bit of a handful off theline? With all that torque of course it is, but once you start moving and the TC kicks in, it is a piece of cake. Granted, my driving skills may be suprior to others, but I do have Michelin X-ice on the vehicle and I do not have the luxury of DSC. If I can drive my Mustang a 3 series would be a no brainer with the right tires.
  • Options
    We disagree. I lived through the Blizzard of 96 in the NE. If you think AWD is overrated, you should have tried to get through the drifts and banks without it. I frankly don't care about plowing into a turn, I care about getting the car going easily should I make a turn on a steep hill with a foot of drifts.

The reason you believe AWD is overrated is your priority is different. By the way it's just as easy to end up in a ditch with RWD as with AWD. And, AWD will outaccelerate RWD in snow. I'll take the added stopping distance of a foot, due to the added weight.

I drove my 330i with all-seasons for a few winters. You can get by with anything.
  • Options
    One more time...AWD gets you started. AWD with snows is the ultimate to get you to zero. Period.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    brumanbruman Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 2003 G35 coupe and loved it. I purchased it for about 41k. To me the difference in price from a 330i was significant at around 10k. I eagerly awaited the release of the G37 and intended to make that my next car, especially after seeing the concept model. When the G37 was released, I was under impressed by it's exterior styling (of course this is entirely subjective). Also a fully equipped G37 now runs around 45k. The price difference between a 2008 G37 and 335i now (similarly equipped) is around 6k. I can afford the extra 6k and I love the looks of the 335i. I ended up buying the BMW. What I am really impressed is the performance and refinement of the 335i and I do not regret my purchase. That being said, go with your gut... people like their cars for their own reasons. You can't go wrong with either.
  • Options
    Best of luck with your 335i and many enjoyable drives may you have. I agree both are great choices.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    frommx5tomz3frommx5tomz3 Member Posts: 19
    Price differential is heavily dependent upon (at least) 3 factors:

1) how heavily equipped you want your car
    2) how you define "comparably equipped"
    3) how deep a discount is achievable at the local dealers for each car

For me, I could not get the "comparably equipped" price difference below $10k. For a 6mt sport with premium package (I could care less about nav or tech) I was able to get the price below $38k + TTL. There is no way I was going to get a Dallas dealer to give me a 335i coupe with Sport + Premium + Comfort Access + heated seats + satellite radio + iPod connector + 19" wheels (pretty much as close to comparably equipped as I can get) for $43.5k + TTL. If I could have done that, I would have (and I gave them a clear chance to do so), but none would even go down to $47k at the time. I'm glad you like the 335i (it is fantastic), but you should consider yourself very lucky if you only paid a $6k premium comparably equipped.
  • Options
    owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    Now that you have had the 335I for nine months what has your reliability experience been? Any fuel, injector engine problems.

I have a 2006 330I and want to go to a 2009 335I however I have heard horror stories about the 335 engine fuel system problems and six week waits for parts and fixes. And engine stopping on freeways.

I am going to look at the G35 however I see its now called a G37 so I have some reading and test driving to do. When your going to spend around $50K on a machine it should have quality and reliability to say the least.

Anyone with comments, suggestions or advise please respond
    Owner6
  • Options
    Hey owner6,

I own a 2008 335i sedan, manual with sports package. It's been about 4 months now. Here's my advice.

The G37 isn't as refined nor engaging compared to the 335i. If you want
    more (performance, handling, experience than the 335i, I'd suggest looking into a 370Z providing you don't mind less utillity..but the 370Z will probably give both..more performance and "perhaps" better reliability compared to the 335i. Don't forget however, BMW offers free maintainance for 4 years 50k. That's a big deal people may overlook.

The 335i, for me, is the best of possible sports sedans currently made. Sure, I'd say your chances of needing to replace a fuel pump are well above 50%..but it'll be on BMW's dime..and mine only took 3 days to replace. :) The 335i is a beauty to drive..especially with a manual transmission. Sure, I wish it had even more torque and was even lighter..but there is no other car out there (other than the hidious 135i) that will beat its package for the money. The 335i may not have as many fancy gadgets, bells and whisles as the G37..but those things are distractions from what is most important..the driving experience. In my view, it is easy to take the 335i's performance for granted...meaning..it does its job so well, and thoroughly, it becomes expected. Stepping into any other car in its class immediately reviels the truth however. The 335i sets the benchmark.

As for buying one..I'd highly recommend looking at the used market right now as it is is flooded with good deals. the 2008 model is identicle to the 2009 in every important respect and costs thousands less.

Good luck finding which car is best for you..

Joseph
    San Diego
  • Options
    bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    I respectfully disagree.

Maybe its the runflats, or maybe I'm more comfortable with the 4-wheel steering than others, but I found the G37S to be much more engaging than the 335i.

Call it steering feel, feedback, connectivity, whathaveyou, I felt the G had more of it.

I also maintain that everyone's opinion differs based on experience. So I recommend anyone interested to do their own homework thoroughly.
  • Options
    bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    I guess I should add:

this could also be the LSD that comes standard on the G37, and isn't offered on the 3-series. I'm used to being able to come out of a corner under a fair amount of power. And the G37S did this surprisingly well.

It could also be the chassis stiffness. Thats where most of the handling improvements of the new 370Z and G37 come from. Nissan won't hesitate to add a couple pounds if it means no body roll.

I just felt the G to be more compliant, thus urging me to push it harder.
  • Options
    I need to test drive the G37. I drove a G35 6MT when it first came out and was unimpressed with the heavy-feeling chassis, abrupt clutch, and touchy throttle tip-in.

From what I've read, the G37 is much improved. If so, I would be inclined to choose it over the 335i just for the durability of a non-turbo, japanese reliability, and of course, it has normal tires and a dip stick!

The 370Z, while ugly, looks to be the sports car to beat for 2009. Following in it's ancestors footsteps, it performs like a Porsche Cayman for 1/2 the price - on paper anyways.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    . . .it has normal tires and a dip stick!

Yeah, plus the LSD, which is a high-dollar aftermarket add-on everywhere else.

If Nissan can figure out how to get the kind of fuel economy that the BMW mills can deliver when they're being gently driven, then they'll have the whole package.

Having the power available is great (damn the MPGs at that point), but it's also necessary these days to be able to sip fuel on the highway as well.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Yup, forgot the LSD - big plus...
  • Options
    rokussrokuss Member Posts: 3
    VLSD is not standard on G37s. It is standard on g37s with 6MTs or as an option for the journey models (coupe and sedan).
  • Options
    Anyone buying a G37 without a 6MT probably doesn't need or care about a LSD.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Anyone buying a G37 without a 6MT probably doesn't need or care about a LSD

And they probably think that LSD expands your mind... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    It expands my mind as it tightens my line.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Maybe I missed it somewhere in this discussion but how does Nissan squeeze out 100 more HP in their G37x V6 vs. the Bimmers in-line 6 328ix and get the same mileage? :confuse:
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    I don't know that they are squeezing out 100 more horsepower... The Nissan engine is 23% larger..

No comment on the mileage, other than most G owners don't seem to be overly happy with their results...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    *edit*

The Gx gets better city mileage while having 100hp more. I think it probably is the new 7 speed auto vs. the bimmers 6 speed?
  • Options
    cavok99cavok99 Member Posts: 3
    I've been waiting for the cost of money on the 09 coupe to come down since December. Does anyone know if historically the lease factor will make a move down after March? I'm looking at 12K a year for 36mo.
  • Options
    cvert12cvert12 Member Posts: 4
    Test drove both today..

The 335i convertible is impressive. It takes off like a rocket when you floor-it.
    I did notice an odd engine noise and possibly mid-body feel as I floored it, like something was wrong. Not sure what that was. But this car can climb a hill with acceleration some cars can't do down-hill! It's incredible. Must be the low-end torque.

Overall I liked the G37 better. Possibly not fair, though, because the G37 was the coupe, not the convertible. Dealers won't let you test drive the convertible until you make the paperwork like you're going to buy it, then you can tear-up the contract if you drive around the block and decide you don't like it. That's what they said. Ridiculous, isn't it?

The G drove better, felt more poised with tighter steering, groaned the right way when floored, and felt like it had more power. It also comes with more bells and whistles for $10k less sticker than the beemer.

as an aside, I drove a lexus is250 convertible (the 350c is not yet at the dealers) and it's a piece of junk. I'm not kidding, a prius has more pick-up.
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Interesting perspectives; It's not entirely fair to compare a coupe to a convertible (as the latter is louder, heavier, and less rigid), but apparently the dealers are being a little stingy with the new G convertibles.

But the price difference is indeed astonishing...C&D says the G37 is like a 335i for 328i money. It's actually more like 128 money!
  • Options
    sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    You cant go wrong with any of these cars. WhatI have read consistently across the board, the 335i provides the better driving dynamics, the G37 provides good driving dynamics but delivers a whole lot more, e.g. reliability, bells and whistles etc.

I think one would be happy whichever way you choose. I prefer a complete package and its hard for me to justify the premium of the fully loaded 335i. Others would not ask this question cos they have deeper pockets, it makes sense to get the 335i in those circumstances.
  • Options
    mannix77mannix77 Member Posts: 76
    Here is the link for the comparison.
    PART 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0B50ULfBYM
    PART 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXddwNy8uRg

Enough Said. :)
  • Options
    "Enough Said."

:confuse:
  • Options
    mannix77mannix77 Member Posts: 76
    "enough said"

BMW is having trouble with the 335i engines. Have heard of problems big time. Why would you compare a car that has consistent problems. Just goes to show that BMW does not do force induction well. The M3s a few years ago also had problems. For the price, you expect to have something that doesn't break. The video says it all.
  • Options
    What problems are you specifically referring to? Why not the 535i, 135i, and Z4?
  • Options
    From a pricing perspective the G37 will never compete with the 335i. 335i now has its own set of problems with the new S4. That is the 335i's natural competitor, I am not saying the s4 or 335i is better, just that comparisons yielding a reasonable set of conclusions can only be made between these 2.

At last, this G37 vs 335i debate can end, In any case we have always lost to the 335i:)
  • Options
    "we have always lost to the 335i"

The G37 is a great car that does compare well with the 335i. But you get what you pay for, and the G does cost $7000 less than the Bimmer.

Comparing Japanese and European cars usually boils down to the same equation. Do you want superlative driving dynamics ((driveline, suspension, etc.) at a price premium, or do you want a good, reliable car with lots of bells and whistles and a bargain price?
  • Options
    Comparing Japanese and European cars usually boils down to the same equation. Do you want superlative driving dynamics ((driveline, suspension, etc.) at a price premium, or do you want a good, reliable car with lots of bells and whistles and a bargain price?

Cant argue with that. "Superlative driving dynamics " are great when mixed with an engine with great oomph. 335i & S4 do a great job at it and these 2 are simply in their own league, as you said, 1st off they are priced higher, 2nd nothing else comes close in ELLPS in respect of performance (the only ones under 5s to 60)maybe instead of ELLPS, call it Super ELLPS, dont know, whatever you wanna call it LOL. Anyway, lets see how things play out from here
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    The price difference is more like $12k (probably even higher with current manufacturer rebates), apples-to-apples if you equip them comparably, which is a huge difference. I've driven both, and while the 335i is a fantastic car, I'd argue the G37 offers very nearly the same driving dynamics, superior ergonomics and features, and better reliability, at 20% off the BMW's sticker.

To each his own, of course, but to argue that the G37 only offers "bells and whistles" is just silly.
  • Options
    Great point:) Thanks. I absolutely agree with you but would add:

I brought in the S4 into the discussion, its a car similarly priced as the 335i yet faster, is a german car so those who are german car freaks will not argue it handles just as well, is loaded with features and has an absolutely great interior, and did I mention its priced just like the 335i. BTW, the German magazines are overwhelmingly voting in its favor in comparisons between the 2.

The problem I honestly have with the 335i is I never thought at any stage that this car was worth the premium over the G, the S4 I would consider at that price since it actually does surpass the G at everything other than projected reliability. "Superlative driving dynamics" are not exclusive to the German manufacturers, if an Evo (Japanese) can be recognized as having great track manners, so its not hard to imagine that Nissan (who produce the GTR btw) can do just as good a job as BMW.
  • Options
    "but to argue that the G37 only offers "bells and whistles" is just silly."

Read my post again - that's not what I said. Summary:

BMW = superior driveline and suspension refinement, fewer features, higher price.

Infiniti = somewhat less refinement, more features, lower price.
  • Options
    "I brought in the S4 into the discussion"

It's a nice car, but If it's not RWD, it's not on my radar.
  • Options
    dallasmandallasman Member Posts: 77
    I owned the 335 coupe for a year. It was, bar none, the most fun car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. But for whatever reason, i brought it in four times for engine failure issues. they thought it was all sorts of things, but finally narrowed it down to high ethanol content in the fuel. my neighbor had the same car with no problems. i since have bought a 535 and have had no problems.
  • Options
    dallasmandallasman Member Posts: 77
    I owned the 335 coupe for a year. It was, bar none, the most fun car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. But for whatever reason, i brought it in four times for engine failure issues. they thought it was all sorts of things, but finally narrowed it down to high ethanol content in the fuel. my neighbor had the same car with no problems. i since have bought a 535 and have had no problems.
  • Options
    Noted, the reviews have said it drives just as well as a RWD once you get the sports rear differential package. Go test drive it, you will be suprised:)
This discussion has been closed.