Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 335i vs Infiniti G37

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can really understand this if say you drive a BMW 7 Series and then a 400 Series Lexus. Both are fabulous cars, and certainly the Lexus excels in reliability, but the BMW handles and accelerates and "drives" with so much more alacrity and excitement. Race horse vs. a comfy and well-trained police horse. :P
  • Options
    members78members78 Member Posts: 140
    "next time when someone tells you that the G's handling is crude, you will remember that you heard it first here.

and you know, hopefully, that top 10 best cars aren't necessarily top 10 best HANDLING cars."

i will bet my last dollar that i will never encounter another person who honestly believes the G's handling is crude.

and C&D employs car enthusiasts. if you check their top 10 lists, all the cars have good to great handling respective of their class. the day they put a car on that list with 'crude' handling is the day i stop reading their magazine.
  • Options
    millwood0millwood0 Member Posts: 451
    " the day they put a car on that list with 'crude' handling is the day i stop reading their magazine. "

what's crude is relative.
  • Options
    My guidepost for modern cars would be to take them out on the track and do a few blistering laps and see which one cries "uncle". If there were serious compromises made, that's where they would show up. The suspension will fade, the brakes will fade and the tires will protest. Sometimes clutches and gearboxes get cranky, too but not so much.
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    Regarding a 328 being better than a 335 or G37S, in a real sense, you're right IF, one is like my brother with his 330 who never redlines or even comes close.

In this case, I don't really agree with even that statement about the 328 vs. the 335. My wife and I recently bought a 335i over a 328i. It was an indulgence, but we did not indulge strictly because of its greater potential for intoxicating acceleration (which, nonetheless, it has in spades). I have been known to perform redline blasts (OK, so has my wife if someone in the next lane gets cocky), but neither of us does it routinely. The reason we paid the extra green is because of the engine's almost incredible flexibility; it has power absolutely everywhere. It could literally putter along at 50 in sixth. We don't do it, but we could. More importantly, it is never flat-footed; it's sweet spot starts at about 1500 rpm and just gets sweeter all the way up to the redline.

In short, the primary question a person faced with this decision has to answer is whether the turbo engine is worth the extra money. The only other real consideration is the possibly problematic high-pressure fuel pump in the 335i, which is non-trivial consideration, but given the 4-year coverage we decided to take our chances.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Maybe I just don't have enough experience with the 335i to fully appreciate it?

Fair enough - I'm going to strap a piano onto the hood of my M3 and drive it for a week to see how I like it. ;)
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    My guidepost for modern cars would be to take them out on the track and do a few blistering laps and see which one cries "uncle"

Ahhh, yes. If only we all had that option :shades: .

Unfortunately, most of us mere mortals have to settle for a 30 minute or so drive around the block, maybe with a couple of freeway ramps involved.
  • Options
    Often the car magazines run comparable cars on hot laps for testing this kind of behavior.
  • Options
    "In short, the primary question a person faced with this decision has to answer is whether the turbo engine is worth the extra money. "

that's probably some oversimplification?
  • Options
    Well, I guess the sense of what I said is that the engine in the 328 is certainly more than adequate, its just that the 335 job is more flexible, and of course more powerful. Of course, the HPFP in the 335 is a consideration as it has been reported to be problematical. The difference between the two in fuel consumption is actually quite small unless you are deeply into the turbos a lot.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    "Well, I guess the sense of what I said is that the engine in the 328 is certainly more than adequate,..."

well, I guess the sense of what I was trying to convey is that the world is so diverse that many factors may go into one's decision making, even for simple matters of choosing one car over the same with different options.

saying that a 335 vs. 328 is all about engine is an over simplification, to say the least.
  • Options
    Yes, they do. Along with the theme of this thread, there's a couple of videos out there on Utube that compare the '335 to the G37S.
  • Options
    saying that a 335 vs. 328 is all about engine is an over simplification, to say the least.

But that's the point. Other than the engine, the difference between the 335 and the 328 amounts to a couple of features (power seats and xenon headlights) that are standard on the 335 and optional on the 328.

• Options
    "But that's the point."

that's true only to the extent that you are limiting your "considerations" to the cars. for the buyers of diverse needs, there are far more consideration into choosing one over the other.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    FWIW, there are other mechanical differences besides the few optional power goodies, the transmission and brakes immediately come to mind.
  • Options
    sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Been car shopping over the past month.
    Test drove the 335i & 2010 S4.

Got to say, these two as far as driving dynamics are concerned are thrilling. Certainly true driving machines. However, the G is not far behind. I read the posts since my last login but I think there was a fair balance of comments. I enjoyed the use of the word "crude", everyone has an opinion and its fair for anyone considering both cars to see what others think.

I will miss my 08. Lets see if the '10 can do better.

Now, as far as decision making was concerned, the finances required to step into the S4 were pretty steep. 56k maybe with 2k off MSRP the way I would want it, however its worth every penny in my book. Its only 45k for the base (the 2010 G37xS is not far away from there). Now I would advise anyone to get this car, but at the 56k level its not for me. 335i, great car there is lots of debate on whether the G handles just as well as the 335i. I think if you look at the experts, you will do well in either car. Of course there is no debate on which is faster, even with 28 more horses and more displacement Infiniti failed. Come on Infiniti :P

I got into the 2010 G37xS with Nav. I wanted tech but since the cars have only started trickling in, its hard to come by. They did a good job with the center console, Nav screen is much much better now with additional options Zagat etc, USB Port with ability to play music using bluetooth, rear park sensors to compliment the back up camera. It now has prettty much every gadget you would expect at this price level in the year 2010. I believe my fuel mileage should improve. I was getting 20mpg in the 08 so should get +22mpg. Oh, and I most definitely love what they did with the front especially on the G37S & G37XS, the leather got upgraded too.

This G37 vs 335i debate is overdone now. The way I look at it, stepping from the 08 to '10 I gained more gadgets more upscale interior etc, but that still does not change the fact the 335i's sweet spot starts at only 1500rpm and would be more thrilling to drive in my book. So from a driving perspective, its a no brainer. Its only when you start looking at other things when it gets more interesting. Clear way to illustrate this, no one has and will compare the G37 with the 2010 S4, there is a reason for that and its not just pricing.

It feels nice being one of the first to take delivery of a new model, until the next one comes out ;)
  • Options
    Look out for the next gen IS350, am sure Lexus learnt their lesson in the handling department. It may end up being 335i vs S4 and G37 vs IS350 once all models are completely overhauled. Got to love these cars
  • Options
    jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    If I had betting money, I'd bet on the BMW. BMW has always set the benchmark. There is no evidence of this changing anytime soon.

Audi will always be heavier due to its AWD and emphasis on luxury, style and comfort.
    Infinity tries but always comes up short in one way or another. Take the 370Z Vs 335i for an example. A new model vs a 4 year old model..and still, the 335 is arguably superior in many respects.
    Lexus has no heritage other than Toyota's Supra. I don't think Toyota has the genetics to ever match BMW.

BMW has focused on the drive, consistantly. Sure, they've strayed a bit but overall, they remain the most focused out of the bunch. Only cars like Lotus and Porsche are more focused, but they are too expensive and less practical.

So, the next 3 series is what I'm waiting for. Not the LCI, nor the "iS" version (I call it the BS version). The next 3, due out in a year or two will be lighter and more focused and probably will set the benchmark for another six years.

In the meantime, I'm riding out this troubled economy in a Stang, watching and waitin.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • Options
    Several problems with your post. First there is no "expert" who will concur with your thoughts that the 335i is better than the S4. Show me one article, from anywhere in the world that will suport that. Your choice to focus on weight of the S4 in neither here nor there as even with the additional weight, the driving experience is not affected, which is why it wins all comparisons.

The 370Z vs 335i, I absolutely agree. From a driving dynamics point of view you are right. Shame on Infiniti :P FWIW Infiniti and Lexus have done all they can with a NA V6, which is why no one else has anything that comes close. The decision to go FI is what they need to get to now as NA V6 will never beat a FI V6 or I6. Lets see how the next round goes. BTW the iSs is just BMW's answer to the S4, its just a statement and they will find buyers at that level, everyone wins.

Your post fails to consider the steps Toyota has taken to match and even surpass BMW. Have you heard of the LFA, BMW has nothing to compete at that level and am sure the trickle down effect should help the rest of the Lexus line up. As you know the new head of Toyota has said he is now shooting for better driving dynamics, I incorporated that into my "look forward".

We are all watching where we will go from here. I have my $ on the S4 for better driving dynamics and packaging and Nissan could rattle this segment with trickle down effects of the GTR engine in the next gen Infiniti G.

Enjoy the stang ;)
  • Options
    "Have you heard of the LFA,"

that sounds sweet. where can you buy it?
  • Options
    gatorlexus7gatorlexus7 Member Posts: 6
    I extensively compared the two cars and both have their great points. I liked the fact that over time, the non turbo aspirated G37 engine will be less costly. A comparably equiped car, the G37 is about $10,000 less! That swayed me big time!
  • Options
    More importantly, when can you buy it? LOL

When you do be sure to keep us posted.
  • Options
    drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    I have an 08 G and drove an 09 loaner car recently. I found the biggest difference to be the 7 speed transmission vs the 5 speed. The 7 speed, overall, was better, but the different shift points took some getting used to. I thought the difference in power was there but not all that noticeable. How would you compare the powertrains of the 08 G vs the 10?
  • Options
    the 7-speed is effective the 5_speed + two over drive, which doesn't kick in until you get on the highway, with light load.
  • Options
    My take on the differences between the 5AT and 7AT, there is a major difference there. Having owned both I can safely say this is not just 5AT plus 2 overdrive. The 7AT behaves very differently, keeps revs under 2k most of time when driving the family (I have not put her in DS mode yet, waiting for the break in). This allows for better fuel economy and its quiter during non spirited driving. Both transmissions are as smooth as butter.

The one thing you need to be careful about with loaners is they have multiple drivers, the ECU has not adjusted to one driving style and with 7 gears I doubt the driving experience will be great.

However there are a lot more differences besides the VQ & transmission. If you have more questions let me know and we can pick it up in the Infiniti G37 thread instead of here.
  • Options
    gunshotwoundgunshotwound Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I am new to this forum, but I used it to help me make my latest decision: the 2010 G37xS. I looked at, and drove, the three cars being discussed here, and a few more. Since we're discussing sports cars with AWD, I should mention that I also considered the Mitsubishi EVO X, Subaru WRX sTi, Ford Taurus SHO, Lexus GS 350 AWD, and Acura TL AWD MT.

If money was no object, the Audi S4 wins. The combination of driving experience, AWD poise, and first class appointments was unbeatable. The BMW 335x was a very close second, and the Japanese cars are all lagging behind the Germans' ability to build a car that makes driving super fun. The gap isn't nearly what it used to be, but it's kinda like Detroit trying to catch up to Japan's reliability...it's a moving target.

But let's face it, money matters. The S4 and the Bimmer both push the $60k mark, and the Lexus is over $50k. I got my G37 fully loaded minus tech package for under $40k. The Mitsu ans Subaru can be had for still less, but they are a different kind of car entirely. Very rally-ish...harsh suspensions by comparison, and very lacking in creature comforts. A hoot to drive on dirt and snow, but when you want to cruise in comfort you'd need another car.

The G37 dusts the Acura and the Lexus for power and handling, crushes the Taurus for nimbleness and sophistication, and after nearly 6 months of looking and test driving the best AWD sports car under $40k sold in the US.
  • Options
    If you factor in price-dependence when comparing all these cars, I think your assessment is quite good.

You are right about the Evo and STi---they will beat you up on a long trip. But under certain conditions, they can embarrass far more expensive cars.

By the time you option-up the German cars, you're in for a lot of $$$. And I can't say Audi reliability records of the past inspire confidence. The BMW would probably be my first choice, too, if money was not the issue.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I disagree, not trying to start an argument:)

In my case for about 40k, the G is perfect. Nothing comes close to what it offers at that price level. Once I want to spend more than 40k I become very needy. The BMW's interior and tech do absolutely nothing for me, just look at the S4 you will immediately see what I mean. Therefore I will not hesitate to put up more for better interior and better driving dynamics (based on comparisons done everywhere) and get the S4 around the 56k mark. For 56k I believe there isnt much out there that gives you the class/toys/interior and pleasure as that car. Yes the M3/C63AMG start at that price, but its a stripped car with no tech/toys which for me are a must at these price levels. On reliability, I think the 335i ranks lowest honestly so as bad as Audi may be, it will never be at the level of the 335i. To be fair, the S4 has not had nearly as many issues as the outgoing 335i. In any case, BMW as a brand ranks lower than Audi per the latest studies from Consumer reports.

However I agree the 335i drives better than the G, based on comparisons done everywhere:)
  • Options
    You may be right---I'm a bit gun-shy of Audis at the moment.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm not a real Audi fan and Infiniti just doesn't do it for me. Now let's talk 135is and I'm a happy camper. I like the clean, spartan look of BMWs.
  • Options
    Before settling on the 2009 G37S (with the 6MT) back in the fall, I also looked at the BMWs and a Subie WRX (not the STi).

My wife thought the Subie was a bit of a boy racer for someone my age. That, plus the fact the one I test drove started to develop some engine noises which really didn't inspire confidence. Also, the interior was a bit spartan compared to the other vehicles I was considering.

The 328 and 335 BMW's I looked at were nice cars and drove and handles well. But I was 1) put off by the RFTs on the BMW and 2) the HPF issues I had been reading about on the 335's. They were more expensive than the G37, the '335 by quite a bit. Also, I did not want to use the nearest BMW dealership to me (5 miles away) because of problems I had with them in the past, so to take advantage of BMW's free maintenance and repairs for the first 4 years would have meant using a dealership ~30 miles away.
  • Options
    mrcrispymrcrispy Member Posts: 7
    I used to drive a 2002 S4, and just bought a 2010 G37. This is my $.02 -

- Interior quality: nothing beats Audi. Period. Stepping from Audi into a Bmw (yes even my 8 year sold car) is a step down, and IMO bigger step than Bmw->Infiniti G.

- driving dynamics: the big difference is AWD (mechanical AWD, not electronic) vs RWD. You can easily feel the difference (if you care for it) in everyday driving, in every corner. Turn in on a AWD car is not as tight. Once again, the difference between 335 and G simply does not exist for 90% of driving that 90% of people will encounter. Once it rains/snows, both of these will fail compared to Quattro.

- mpg: no one buys a luxury sports sedan for mpg. Drive it to have fun, and all of these will give you ~20 +- 2.

- tech toys: Infiniti wins here, big time. Best nav, most std toys. This is something you will get to use everyday. The G doesn't have a great sound system (Bose but actually a Clarion) compared to the other 2.

- reliability: I'd say most people lease a BMW, and most buy a G, with the Audi inbetween. So for a lot of poeple, reliability on a leased Bimmer is not a factor, esp with included maintenance. German car reliability is never going to be as good as the Japanese, but its not that bad, for the amount of time most people keep these cars.

- performance: torque is what makes a car feel fast. The 335 has it in spades. My G feels no faster than my old S4 and in fact a A4 2.0 feels preppier in daily driving. Because it is. The 330hp make their presence felt when you feel like overtaking at 65mph. This is why DS/manual mode exists, learn to use it and the car is a whole lot more fun.

If I had the cash, I'd go for an S5, without a doubt. I'm sick and tired of BMW gouging you for every option, and the car's looks/interior just doesn't do it for me. For a lot less $, the G gives almost the same performance.
  • Options
    billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Great comments & insights on the Audi vs BMW vs G.

How about the performance of the G37 Sport 6MT sedan vs. same car with automatic?
  • Options
    mrcrispymrcrispy Member Posts: 7
    G37 6MT is definitely more involving to drive, however like any manual its also more work and not worth it for a daily driver (for me). There's a reason why most performance cars come with an auto, or a dual clutch/DSG type shifter which is the best. If you really value the feel of a well timed shift, the G's paddle shifters in M mode are still too slow. For people who argue that a manual is the only true way, tell that to F1 drivers :)

6MT performance is same as automatic+sport package as far as handling goes.
    I didn't get Sport (to save money), and the ride is a little softer. Another point worth noting is that these cars come with 'learning' transmissions, where the auto will learn your driving habits over time. My S4 had it and the G does too, not sure about the BMW. FWIW, I never used the 'manual' mode as much as I thought I would, but its nice to have when you need it, like merging.
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Does anybody know, can you get a automatic trans in a 3 or is the manual all that is offered? Do you have to go up into the 5 to get the automatic?
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    edited April 2010
    Are you serious? Most 3 series sold in the U.S. are automatic, In fact, you'd be lucky to find a handful of 3-series with manual tranny in stock at any dealership. I had to order mine the last time around.
  • Options
    I was just curious because BMW's website only lets you build 3-series with a manual transmission. My local BMW dealer doesn't have much new on the lot at any given time, most of it is all used.
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    The automatic transmission is a $1,375 option in the fourth tab of the "Build Your Own" on the website.
  • Options
    thanks for the info!!
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    The BMW automatic transmission will learn your driving style too.
    The free maintenance seems to be great but the dealer only follows the much longer scheduled maintenance preset in the car (15K for an oil change!)

I have a 2006 A4 3.2. I test drove the G (a 2008 so it's probably a G35X, not a G37X) before I got a 335xi.

The Audi transmission is smooth if you accelerate continuously. If you are doing city driving, you may find out it upshifts too early. Sometime, it hesitates to downshift and you need to force it to do it. Maybe the transmission in the 2009+ is better.

I test drove the G sedan (AWD). It's a nice car with good interior and options but that is. It's not that special for me.

Before I drove a 335i, I thought a 328i would be good enough for me (I got it as a loaner). No way, I will never get it.
    I test drove a 335i and a 335xi. I was very happy when going through a 30mph limit curve with 70mph (the salesperson asked me to do that). I bought the 335xi because I needed to work in Wisconsin for almost a year (I am glad it's over).
    Although the car is AWD, it started out as RWD first. It's fun. Twin turbo rocks!
    Both the power and torque are amazing. The car always wants you to give it more gas to go so it could be dangerous.

As someone mentioned before, Audi has the best interior. The Bimmer..forget about it.

The problem of the G and the 3-series to me is there are too many of them on the roads. Now I may get the new supercharged S4.

I agree the G probably has the best value among the group. It all depends on what you are looking for. Test drive them and see what you like.
  • Options
    dan3434dan3434 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2010
    I agree wholeheartedly. I did not buy my 335i to impress...it caught my attention after multiple test drives with its stunning performance. It's a matter of preference, and I preferred the ride, style and performance of the 335i to the G37.
  • Options
    deveauja7deveauja7 Member Posts: 2
    I leased a 2010 Infiniti G37x and I love it! I only looked at a BMW 335xi on the internet and reviews but did test drive an Audi A4 2.0T and there was no comparison. Even though the 2.0T is "punchy", you can still tell that you are driving a 4-cylander car. I found the interior nice, but confusing. Way too many buttons and options. The G37 was a no brainer after comparing it with the A4. I got a "premium package" that included all the bells and whistles, an awesome stereo system (I liked the Bose surround better then the B&O in the Audi), and it's an absolute rocket! I have owned it for over a month and it still makes my pulse race when I open it up on the freeway. I know experts have the BMW ranked as THE Creme del le creme, but 90% of owners who use it just as I do (to and from work, occasion weekend trip) will find the extra 8-grand to be pointless. Plus, living in Detroit I see 3-series and A4s EVERYWHERE but not so much with the G. If a sports sedan that is fun to drive and includes all luxary options is desired, not only does the G buck the German trend, I feel it is by far the best bang for the buck!
  • Options
    gophils09gophils09 Member Posts: 1
    Seriously?? Your decision rests on the size of the backseat? Do you realize that a 335i is a sports car?? I think you should just get a Toyota Camry with a HUGE backseat and be done with it.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Do you realize that a 335i is a sports car??

And do you realize that you're replying to a message that's more than 3 years old? (It was posted on 9/5/07.)

The guy who wrote it probably won't see your reply. He hasn't logged in since June, 2008.
  • Options
    yelnats25yelnats25 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 335is coupe. I had a 335i before. Anyway, you are a tall person it is rally only a seats 3 people. You need to hav the drivers seat all the way back. I still highly recommend it if you want a super quick car. It will spank a g37 any day of the week. The torque is unbelievable. It is a sub 5 second car.
  • Options
    deveauja7deveauja7 Member Posts: 2
    A sub 5.0 car maybe with a rolling start. Sure the 335i has better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but only by a few tenths. If you want a 335i as fully loaded as my G37 you'd spend at least 10-grand more. I'd rather keep that 10-grand buy not buying a marginally better status symbol. Then again, 10-grand can probably compensate for a lot of shortfalls!
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A couple of points:

- BMW offers European Delivery and you can knock an easy $8,000 off the MSRP of a fully tarted up 335i by going that route (assuming you either A) are already going over say for business, or B) wouldn't mind taking a vacation over there).
    - Real world fuel economy numbers delivered by the 335i models on the road are significantly better than any car equipped with Nissan's VQ engine, the G37 included.
This discussion has been closed.