Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 BMW 3-Series

raphaelhomraphaelhom Member Posts: 19
edited August 2014 in BMW
When is the next make over of the 3 series? The last was 2006, right? So would it be 2009 or 2010?

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    No, seven years is fairly typical for BMW, so it'll be more like 2013 before you see a new 3er.
  • bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    Here is the problem. I cannot wait for 4 more years. The Bangle designed 3 series are just 'ugly' and unclassic, including the 2008 M3. The last generation has more classic looks. The current 3-series look like another Japanese design.
  • nivki89nivki89 Member Posts: 15
    Shipo, I know that you know 1000 time more about BMW then I.
    But there are rumors on Bimmerfest in October 2011 as a 2012 model. ;)
    Yes, I've heard rumors, that said, it really doesn't mean too much this far out. FWIW, a 2011 debut of a new 2012 3-Series would be just about on schedule based upon previous releases of new models. Does that mean that it'll happen? Beats the willies out of me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    The Bangle designed 3 series are just 'ugly' and unclassic, including the 2008 M3. The last generation has more classic looks. The current 3-series look like another Japanese design.

Really? I think the 3 series is one of the best looking cars on the road, especially the coupe. Yes, the previous generation has a more classic look, but bmw has to change with the times or people will buy the "sleeker" looking Japanese cars. Classic is not necessarily better. I suppose looks are a very personal thing.

Dan
  • irisheyes44irisheyes44 Member Posts: 15
    Is their any talk about making the convertible AWD like the Audi?
  • aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    Was at my local BMW dealer this week and drove a 335i for the first time. The salesperson told me they were hearing from BMW that the 2009 model will undergo a mid-cycle refresh. No idea what may change, but any styling changes should be subtle, like on the 5-series. My guess is the enhancements will be more interior related, electronics, etc. I'm very interested to find out because my A4 lease comes up in Nov and the 335i is high on my list as a replacement.
  • leehleeh Member Posts: 1
    I read the Inside Line article from today with more info on the 2009 3 Series. It mentioned that the dual-clutch transmission (DCT) was confirmed for the coupe and convertible in Europe with a possibility in US. What's the latest on the sedan? Would there be a DCT for 335i / 335i xDrive for US sedans?
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    What is your impression A4 vs. 335? I drove one for a day while my 330xi was in fro service and I loved it.

Regards,
    OW
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    In the June or July Automobile magazine they had a pic of the refreshed 3 and the 1 with Tii badging. The Tii is supposed to slot in between the standard and M versions.

I'm actually waiting to see the 09' 3-series as well. The current model sedan has oddities in exterior design (IMO), and the interior needs some updating as well. After my wife and I test drove one the past month it wouldn't make our short list.
  • aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    My A4 is the 3.2 V6, no sport suspension. It handles incredibly well for a regular suspension. Has very good acceleration up to 60 mph, but like most 6 cyclinder cars falls off quickly above that. Interior is classy and still the class leader. Not as quiet as the BMW 3 series, nor does it drive as well. The BMW chassis is unlike any I've experienced. If BMW could put an Audi interior in its cars, they'd be unbeatable. The new A4 coming out next month has a great look, in & out, and the handling & braking is on par with RS4 according to magazine editors. Looks like it will down to the new A4 and 335i. One is clearly faster and sportier; the other may be sporty enough but much classier. I have 2-3 months to decide. Let the fun begin.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The last 3 series I drove was an '07 335 coupe. After I drove it, if I had a short list, this would be the only car on it.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Now, that's a short list! But I have to agree it's that good.

Regards,
    OW
    It is that good!
    Granted we drove a 328, although what is the 3.5 liter a $5K premium? Vs. our G35 the value just isn't there for me.

I really wanted to like this vehicle, my eye is still on the coupe or convertible as opposed to the sedan. The styling of the sedan looks to me like it lacks continuity ....more of a personal styling issue I have with it. Although, the two door is quite nice.

We'll see.....I'll wait for the 09's and see where we end up.
    Granted we drove a 328, although what is the 3.5 liter a $5K premium? Vs. our G35 the value just isn't there for me.

Just so you know, both the 328i and the 335i sport 3.0 liter engines (as did the E90 325i and 330i before them). That said, the main difference between the two current models is in the engine, drive train, suspension and brakes (not to mention a few interior goodies). The normally aspirated 328i has a trick aluminum/magnesium block where the 335i has a good old iron block and two turbochargers breathing on things. Their transmissions are different (at least in the case of the cars with three pedals under the dash), the wheels and tires are different, and the more powerful car gets larger brakes.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My appologies. I know I have to be extremely careful especially in the BMW boards regarding exact specs, etc. (PS. I've seen plenty of your other posts)

I made the same mistake during the test drive and the salesperson corrected my statement as you have.

In car buying there are many different types of buyers, as I've been reviewing posts in these forums, of which many of the posters are long standing BMW owners. Some of these very same owners go the route of modifying their vehicles and even race them on tracks... then there's a buyer such as me.

I'm not brand loyal, I view vehicles in simpler terms. Do I like the way the car looks, does it have all the amenities I want, interior space, how the car does or does not handle a curvy road, etc. Then pulling up simply numbers how does it stack up against other's in it's class, I subscribe and read the reviews from the car mags (or rags)....then I buy/lease what the wife and/or I want after test driving.

Overall I'm very interested in the car, otherwise I would not be posting, looking for feedback, etc.

My comments still relate simply to the overall package, handling, and HP vs. others, and specifically for me in this latest 3-series the interior/exterior of the car.
    I'm not brand loyal, I view vehicles in simpler terms.

I'm not brand loyal either, but if I like a restaurant, there is a high probability I will go back. I might want to try other restaurants also. I feel the same about cars.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I'm not brand loyal, I view vehicles in simpler terms. Do I like the way the car looks, does it have all the amenities I want, interior space, how the car does or does not handle a curvy road, etc. Then pulling up simply numbers how does it stack up against other's in it's class, I subscribe and read the reviews from the car mags (or rags)....then I buy/lease what the wife and/or I want after test driving.

Sounds like you need to hold on that Infiniti. With the BMW you'll be paying for abilities that you will never come close to exploiting.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    Just ordered a 2009 335i x drive sedan. Space Grey which is new for the sedan in 2009. I got "Fine Line Aluminum Trim" which replaced the brushed aluminum. I have no idea the difference but I am hoping I like it. The base price went up $800 to $42,000. Premium audio is now a stand alone option at $875 and was included with the 335. Cold Climate went up to $1000 but now includes heated steering wheel and the sports package is now $1350 for the x drive. That pays for sport seats, black shadowline exterior trim around the windows, and new wheels. Given the $350 increase for this package, I really hope the wheels will be better than the 2008. I am getting 17 inch all seasons. I really didn't like the 18's or 17's from the 2008 sports package. To me a 335 x drive sports package should have killer wheels even on the 17's. I hope the handling is what I would expect. No sport suspension on the x drive 3 series. Any insight there?

They don't have the lease deals yet. I got offered 4% off msrp along with mats and wheel locks. Not nearly the deal I would receive on an '08 but now I get the car exactly how I want it, with all the new changes, slight but meaningful I am hoping. I hope the lease deals are the same as on the 2008's. The 2008 I was looking at was .019 MF and 58% residual.

I came very close to buying a 2008 coupe. Liked the grey wood the best and wish that was an option on the sedan. I hope I made a good decision. Regardless, I am excited.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    any one know if they are offering the wagon in 335 version? I've read conflicting reports on various sites.
    Not for 2009 anyway,
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    The 09 335i offers little improvement for its huge price hike IMO.
    I figure the average configured car will cost 2-4k MORE than a
    similarly equipped 08. And for what? An updated i-Drive??
    I'd rather get a stand alone garmin which works better and is portable.
    The front and rear facia modifications are of frivolous significance, lacking
    bold enough initiative to create any meaningful effect. I'd argue the changes
    have moved backwards, style wise as well as value/$ wise, in some respects. Making the logic 7 sound system an option makes the G37 all the more attractive from a value/$ stand point; not that I particularly recommend the G37. The move for shadowline trim instead of chrome has not been warmly welcomed by those who've realized the asthetic effect. Chrome trim, I thought, was a beautiful added feature available to the 335i over the 328's standard shadow line trim. I've always lamented on how the E9x M3 only comes with shadow line trim. Deleting chrome trim for 335is with sports package represents to me, poor judgment and an attempt to decrease manufacturing costs. Borrowing the coupe's rims for the sedan is another plain example of weak imaginitive marketing. Such a move reduces the unique styling of the sedan.

I think buyers see right through the hype. They are obvious attempts to increase profit margins on the cheap at a cost to loyal bmw consumers.

All in all the 335i still represents a superb design effort worth every extra penny.
    People will buy the car en masse. It's just that these days, those extra pennies hurt. So, I'd highly recommend getting an 08 now while it's still possible. Not only will you get a price significantly under MSRP, but you'll get great 0.9% financing and you won't have to bare the brunt of a significant price hike for practically no benefit.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "The 09 335i offers little improvement for its huge price hike IMO.
    similarly equipped 08."

Well, I think the exterior improvements are great. They fixed exactly what I thought was wrong with the old sedan. The new front end looks wider and more aggressive, and the tail looks wider and less "fat-faced." I especially think the more coupe-like tail lights with LEDs are a big improvement.

As for pricing, according to the BMWNA Dealer Bulletin, the base price has increased $800, Cold Weather Package is up $150, and Sport Package is up $350. Park Distance Control is up $350, but now has both front and rear sensors. No price increases listed for Premium Package, Navigation, or iDrive.

Even if you check EVERY option in the book, it's impossible to pay $3000 more than a 2008, let alone $4000. For an "average configured car," $1000 - $1500 is more realistic, and well within reason for a model year increase - even without a mid-cycle refresh.

"shadowline trim instead of chrome has not been warmly welcomed by those who've realized the asthetic effect...Chrome trim, I thought, was a beautiful added feature available to the 335i over the 328's standard shadow line trim."

You mean there's a community of BMW enthusiasts who are publicly expressing their dislike of shadowline trim?!?!

Seriously though, you know, historically, BMW has used shadowline trim as an UPGRADE over chrome to signify a special car (M cars).

Also, I'm sure you know that the 335i doesn't have "chrome" trim - it has "matte aluminum" trim. You must also know that the 328i doesn't have "shadowline" trim - it has "matte black" trim.

"Deleting chrome trim for 335is with sports package represents to me, poor judgment and an attempt to decrease manufacturing costs."

Actually, "High Gloss Shadowline" trim is the costliest trim BMW uses:

Matte black trim (328i) - part # 51137117243/4 - $121.64 per side
    Chrome trim (330i) - part # 51137121235/6 - $157.36 per side
    High gloss shadowline trim (Optional) - part # 51137906917/8 - $218.74 per side

Well, at least you know you can have chrome trim on whatever E90 you might decide to purchase. Just $300 and a rubber mallet is all it takes...
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    As for pricing, according to the BMWNA Dealer Bulletin, the base price has increased $800..........

The $800 increase is what I was lead to believe as well.
    Well, at least you know you can have chrome trim on whatever E90 you might decide to purchase. Just $300 and a rubber mallet is all it takes...

I think the added bling also adds @10 hp.
    Not too shabby, if you ask me...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Borrowing the coupe's rims for the sedan is another plain example of weak imaginitive marketing. Such a move reduces the unique styling of the sedan.

The wheels on the 2009 335 sedan with upgraded 18's do look to be the same as the 2008 335 coupe with upgraded 18's. That is a good thing as they are FAR FAR superior to the 2008 sedan wheels. The wheels on the 2009 335 sedan with 17 inch wheels look to be different than the coupe's 17 inchers. I'm getting the 17's. I love the new 17's. The 17's on the 2008 sedan were terrible for what a 335 sedan with sports package should have. Check this link for pics of the 2009 wheels. The wheel with more spokes is the 17's and are not the wheels on the 335 coupe.

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0807_2009_bmw_3_series_gallery/detai- l_photos.html
    Ah, okay... that's where I got confused... looks like they'll be offering the diesel in wagon form. Though, even that, I'm not sure if it's coming state-side.

On the plus side.. the diesel will have gobs of torque and should get good fuel economy. Downside is that my limited experience with driving diesels is that the redline way too soon (4-5K rpms).

On top of that, I read that they are only offering the diesel in automatic anyhow.

When I'm ready, I'll have to look at the 328i wagon (and likely the Audi wagon as well).
    I think buyers see right through the hype. They are obvious attempts to increase profit margins on the cheap at a cost to loyal bmw consumers.

The nerve of BMW raising their prices. Thank goodness every other car company on the face of the planet is consumer friendly and *NEVER, NEVER* raised their prices.
    I'd just like to add that after some more thought I could not help but wish BMW focused its efforts towards ironing out 3 series issues for this year's price hike rather than offering this some what confused array of cosmetics. Unfortunately, engine over heating and fuel pump faults are still cropping up in various forums. :(
    http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw-335i/T0OJ7C7DMQJ7ERRUF/p8#lastPost

Price hikes are toleratable.. known reliablity issues spanning several years are not.
    :sick:

I hope my 08 wont have any issues when it arrives. Mine fingers are crossed.
    :shades:

Joseph
    San Diego

--------------------------------------------------------------
    #25 of 32 by jmaroun Aug 27, 2008 (10:24 am) Save | Reply

The 09 335i offers little improvement for its huge price hike IMO.
    similarly equipped 08. And for what? An updated i-Drive??
    I'd rather get a stand alone garmin which works better and is portable.
    The front and rear facia modifications are of frivolous significance, lacking
    bold enough initiative to create any meaningful effect. I'd argue the changes
    have moved backwards, style wise as well as value/$ wise, in some respects. Making the logic 7 sound system an option makes the G37 all the more attractive from a value/$ stand point; not that I particularly recommend the G37. The move for shadowline trim instead of chrome has not been warmly welcomed by those who've realized the asthetic effect. Chrome trim, I thought, was a beautiful added feature available to the 335i over the 328's standard shadow line trim. I've always lamented on how the E9x M3 only comes with shadow line trim. Deleting chrome trim for 335is with sports package represents to me, poor judgment and an attempt to decrease manufacturing costs. Borrowing the coupe's rims for the sedan is another plain example of weak imaginitive marketing. Such a move reduces the unique styling of the sedan.

All in all the 335i still represents a superb design effort worth every extra penny.
    People will buy the car en masse. It's just that these days, those extra pennies hurt. So, I'd highly recommend getting an 08 now while it's still possible. Not only will you get a price significantly under MSRP, but you'll get great 0.9% financing and you won't have to bare the brunt of a significant price hike for practically no benefit.

Joseph
    San Diego
    We all were hoping you'd buy an Infiniti...

:P
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Not only will you get a price significantly under MSRP, but you'll get great 0.9% financing and you won't have to bare the brunt of a significant price hike for practically no benefit...

...and you'll also get a car already a year old...

I dunno, seems like you would be more pleased with an Infiniti, given all the shortcomings you seem to have with the BMW.
    Z
    You are basing an observation on a sample size of one? :confuse No doubt some BMWs have some problems, but so does Lexus, Infiniti and Acura. Nothing worse than believing you bought into a reliable brand only to find your car is a lemon.
  • motoworfmotoworf Member Posts: 8
    When I'm ready, I'll have to look at the 328i wagon (and likely the Audi wagon as well).

Which Audi wagon are you looking at?
    Most likely the A4 2.0T... though, again, I'm counting on a manual transmission being offered at some point.
    Regarding exterior color paint, black, white, and blue suit my asthetic
    tastes equally. I decided therefore, to base my choice on utility.
    At first I thought the optimal choice was obvious. Everyone knows that
    white absorbs less light and thus would keep interior cabin temperature cooler than black. Alas, a white 08 335i sedan was unavailable in my favorite configuration: manual with sports package. A case of bad luck. I was forced to choose the very opposite color. Black!

After some thought however, I've realized my luck wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Especially considering that a 335i's engine has a known tendency to run a "little" on the hot side. A black car, better than any other color, should actually help dissipate the most engine heat. This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity.

Interior cabin temperature is merely transient..that is AC climate control corrects it in a matter of seconds no matter what color your car is. Hot black sheet metal will dissipate heat absorbed from the sun, when moving air pass over it, faster than white or silver sheet metal. Heat from a running or recently turned off engine, far out weighs solar power that shines on a car. Therefore.. it probably is better to have a black car if one's interest is help keep its engine coolest. An engine that runs cooler not only performs better, but in the long haul will be more reliable.

Of course this is just speculative reason and I have no idea how significant a car's color would have on the net temperature of a running, or recently idle, engine. I suppose if one had access to a data-base of automobile over-heating reports, one could check to see if black cars fared better than say silver or white cars. That would be strong evidence supporting my above speculations.

Empirical evidence on this would be interesting. If anyone knows of any, please share. Especially regarding the 335i.

Joseph
    San Diego
    Fascinating.

This would be analagous to the conversation of "should I turn my pc off when not in use or leave it on 24x7".

My own observation, which is matched by physical measurement is that lighter color cars tend to absorb less heat in the interior as the material reflects more than dark colors. However, we all could be wrong. :sick
    I wrapped my M3 in tin foil (shiny side up) and it lowered the cabin air temp by 6 degrees!

A side benefit is that I never have to wash or wax my car, and in the summer, I can bake cookies on the hood!
    You're being green by using sun energy to cook. LMAO!
    Hey, quit joking around!
    Some of us hard-core drivers need to know which color is fastest- even if we never drive our cars over 80!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Please, everyone knows you choose a car color to match your eyes! Hard to find cars painted bloodshot, however... :shades:

After owning a series of white and silver (and variations) cars, I went with a darker blue on my current ride. Hot or cold isn't important to me. The fact it simply shows dirt and imperfections more is what is driving me insane! Zaino, of course, helps. But I will lighten it a shade or two for my next ride... I shan't own a black car...

Still like a good white, though...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99494.htm

It seems this assumption is wrong:
    "This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity."

I stand corrected. All the more reason to hope bmw fixed the
    335i's over-heating issues then.

fingers crossed.

Joseph
    San Diego
    -------------------------------
    white absorbs less light and thus would keep interior cabin temperature cooler than black. Alas, a white 08 335i sedan was unavailable in my favorite configuration: manual with sports package. A case of bad luck. I was forced to choose the very opposite color. Black!

After some thought however, I've realized my luck wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Especially considering that a 335i's engine has a known tendency to run a "little" on the hot side. A black car, better than any other color, should actually help dissipate the most engine heat. This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity.

Interior cabin temperature is merely transient..that is AC climate control corrects it in a matter of seconds no matter what color your car is. Hot black sheet metal will dissipate heat absorbed from the sun, when moving air pass over it, faster than white or silver sheet metal. Heat from a running or recently turned off engine, far out weighs solar power that shines on a car. Therefore.. it probably is better to have a black car if one's interest is help keep its engine coolest. An engine that runs cooler not only performs better, but in the long haul will be more reliable.

Of course this is just speculative reason and I have no idea how significant a car's color would have on the net temperature of a running, or recently idle, engine. I suppose if one had access to a data-base of automobile over-heating reports, one could check to see if black cars fared better than say silver or white cars. That would be strong evidence supporting my above speculations.

Empirical evidence on this would be interesting. If anyone knows of any, please share. Especially regarding the 335i.
    I shan't own a black car...

My driveway is a 2500' gravel farm road. When I had my black M6 I think it was clean for maybe 30 minutes over the three years I had it.

What over heating are you referring to? The only reference I've been able to find to 2009 BMW overheating issues is from a poster named jmaroun in townhall.edmunds.com. The only reference in all of internet-land.

It is true a minority of BMWs may have suffered mechanical issues, but all manufacturers have this. Want a bullet proof car, don't buy one.
    I'm thinking that you should save your breath, many of us have been suggesting to jmaroun that he'd be much-much happier with a Lexus with aftermarket 22" wheels and rubber band tires, but he seems insistent on becoming an unhappy 335i owner. I mean, come on, he's already complaining about mechanical issues and he doesn't even have a car yet. Go figure.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    As an engineer, I'm fully aware that no machine is perfect. Every design has
    its weakness. Some may reason to dismiss the concept of reliability as an idealistic and unlrealizable goal. To strive for reliability is a choice. It's clear that some manufacturers place a higher priority on the issue than others.

Anyway, for the nobs here who cant seem to google search; here are some links as reference to the over-heat and fuel pump issue on the 335i. Some of which date quite recently. And there are many more sites.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c94747c5d1191149ce9be8d95cd380- - - 90&t=196046&page=28
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0708_infiniti_g37_bmw_335/test_dr- - - ive.html
    "Munich: we have a problem." lol
    http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw-335i/TCKF8H96BBC5NS6LO/p2#lastPost

I've taken all these reports, and many more, into consideration and STILL am very happy to purchase a 08 335i..which will be my second BMW!

Joseph
    San Diego

------------------------
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99494.htm

It seems this assumption is wrong:
    "This is due to black's inherently superior infrared conductivity."

I stand corrected. All the more reason to hope bmw fixed the
    335i's over-heating issues then.

fingers crossed.

Joseph
    San Diego
    -------------------------------

You are taking hearsay and turning into fact, which makes me believe you are not really an engineer.
    As an engineer

I never would have guessed... :P
    An EE, I'd bet.

This discussion has been closed.