Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 L

jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
edited March 2014 in Jeep
1996 Jeep GC 4.0 just through a #72 code. It also through a # 12 code. Can't explain the 12 because the battery was not disconnected. The 72 has me pulling my hair out since I can't seem to find it listed in the code listing. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.On a side note, the jeep is running great.

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    prob bad batt or conection try to clean posts and cable clamps if batt older than 3 years i would put in new batt
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
    Battery is less then 6mos. old. I tested it as well as the alternator and both are good. I checked them both when the 12 code came up. Still don't know what the 72 code is all about. Thanks for the reply.
    just a thought, could this be my cat. converter? Had it replaced about 2 years ago. :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check this out: cino1, "Jeep Liberty Starting and Stalling Difficulties" #66, 6 Sep 2007 1:02 pm

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks tidester. My jeep is running like new. Never a problem with the performance. The cat. was just a thought. No problems with power. Really makes me feel dumb.
  • efuller77efuller77 Member Posts: 6
    i did the key ignition thing...(on/off 3x's) anyway, my code was 12,72,55. i used to have a list of all the codes. i can't seem to find the code list that i need. i can find the p1234 code list every where. but not mine. any suggestions?...help.
    efuller77, The 55 is easy, that means that the computer is done reading the codes. 12 means that the battery was disconnected and I'm leaning towards the cat. converter for the 72 code. I've been told that it means that it is not working to minimum standards.Hope this helps.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Code 12- Battery power to PCM was disconnected.
    Code 72- Catalyst efficiency below required level.
    Code 55- Completion of fault code display.
    thanks. that kind of sucks. i just had my cat. replaced around 2 1/2 yrs ago. i don't know what kind of warranty those things/manufacturers/shops carry. anyway, the 12 and the 55 make since, now. thanks dude. i guess if anyone knows anything about typical cat. warranties, let me know. thanks again.
    the only way the computer knows how well the cat is working is by comparing the oxc senser readings from before and after could be bad oxc sensers befor and after i have never had a cat go bad
    gracias. you've been much help. i'll change out my o2 sensor and see what i got.
    ok, i changed my o2 sensor and i'm still getting the same code and of course my check engine light is still on. any other suggestions? oh, and the jeep has been and still is running fine.
    try to reset codes then disconect bat for 10 min see if resets to ok
    how do i reset the codes?
    some if you disconect the battery for 10 min will reset or use obd coad reader to reset
    thanks. you've been much help. problem solved. have a great day.
  • pgaynorpgaynor Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I needed a upper console (interior light fixture) for my 93 Jeep Cherokee Larado.
    I got a 96 Jeep Cherokee Larado console Which is different and :lemon: nicer. I probably can mount it but the wiring harness does not match up. It looks like I need some extension and maybe an adapter type plug. Is there any thing I can pick up at the auto parts store that I could use?
    Thanks
    Paul
  • mustangtwinsmustangtwins Member Posts: 3
    I have a question i need some help i have a 1995 jeep grand cherokee laredo well i bought without a dome light i cant seem to find one anywhere or i dont know what year interchanges with that year anyone that can help email me at [email protected] thank you so kindly
    Not sure what years are interchangable. Did you check the auto parts store? They can cross ref. and tell you if they are interchangable. You also may want to check out the junk yard for one. Just a thought. Good luck. :)
  • mustangtwinsmustangtwins Member Posts: 3
    jUNK YARD WOULD BE A GOOD IDEAL THANK YOU I HAVE CHECKED ON EBAY AND DIFFERENT JEEP PLACES NOTHING.
This discussion has been closed.