Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca Extended "Gold Plus" Warranty

awd_envyawd_envy Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Subaru
Can anyone give me their experiences with the extended warranty? Even though it's the "Gold Plus" plan it seems like so many things are not covered or there are so many loop holes SOA might weezle their way out of making good on a legitimate claim. I plan on keeping this vehicle for quite some time so the warranty is of interest to me; but only if they hold up to their claims.

I just purchased an 07 Tribeca and the dealer quoted me $1495 for the 6/100K plan (w/$50 deductible) and would also include free scheduled maintenances for 3y/30K.

Is this a fair deal? Has anyone had problems with legitimate claims? If you purchased it, would you purchase it again?

Thanks all!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We got one for our 02 Legacy but have not had to make a claim. We did get the throttle cable replaced under the original warranty, and the dealer really rolled out the red carpet, got us a nice loaner and all.

Also, my wife has used the roadside assistance service - you get that for the full 6 years included in the price.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I had one for a 98 legacy and got my money back (almost replaced the entire a/c), oil leak, 2 power radio antennas and a few other stuff. never had problems with the dealer putting in a claim and they even replaced my timing belt for free as it was "fouled " by the oil leak even though I thought that should have been my responsibility. dealer also threw in a few freebies not really covered, lights in the HVAC panel.

had a new strut and wheel bearing on a 02 WRX under ext warranty also

nothing to claim yet on my 06 Tribeca, I paid 1560 for a zero deductible 7/100 for the Tribeca.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I bought the extended 5/100 for my 05 LGT recently.

-mike
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Mike, what did you pay? Did you negotiate?

I have 33k+ on my '06 Tribeca, and with no real problems, I want to be covered for the long haul. I'm still trying to decide waht to do before the warranty runs out in a month or so :-)

-Karen in AZ-
    Look at what your dealer charges for labor. Nowadays the local dealer wants $85-95 per hour. Imagine a full-day job, and one single repair could make you break even.

Even simple things add up to $600 or more very quickly.

What made us get the warranty was that the previous car we owned cost us $2500 in repais in years 5-7. Half the price of a warranty. :cry:
    I got mine through a special deal but you can apparently haggle on em. I would suggest getting it online from http://subaruwrxparts.com/security.html they were the cheapest I saw when shopping around.

-mike
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    It said "These plans come with a free, money-back guarantee- if you never use the plan benefits during the coverage period, your money is refunded in full- YOU CAN'T LOSE! " How true is that?
    I'd have to check the fineprint but I believe its prorated after a certain point.
    FWIW I think they are only worth it if you plan on keeping it a long time and get the longest coverage as you already have a 5/60 powertrain factory warranty. having said that I broke even before 5/60 as my a.c went kaput and was covered by the ext warranty and it would have been 2 grand plus for what they ended up doing.
  • elislordelislord Member Posts: 2
    All I say is GOOD LUCK!!
    I bought a new 2006 B9 Tribeca witht he extended 100k warranty. At 57k miles my passenger front ball joint collapsed after I had complained to the dealership of noise in the front-end 3 seperate times and they diagnosed and scheduled a sway bar bushing to be replaced. The ball joint should have been covered under the regular power train warrenty never mind the extended warranty.
    Well, Subaru denied the claim saying that the ball joint could't have just broken and I must have had an accident. Even though I had pictures of the scene that I sent, there was no external damage from an impact, only damage to the ball joint and fender and bumper from the inside where the tire smashed into it after the ball joint broke and where the front end of the car collapsed on the fender as it slid to a stop in the dirt on the side of the road (fortunately I was only traveling 15 mph when my car stopped steering and went into the dirt). So, I'm left to fight legal battles over a $6k claim because my insurance won't cover it because I didn't have an accident.
    Interesting that the service manager at the dealership agreed with me but the owner of the dealership pushed hard to have the claim denied by Subaru Warranty - something I've learned since that he's done numerous times.

Needless to say - I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SUBARU!!

Just my personal experience.
    That is the 3rd time I've read the same story, pretty much cut and paste. Cross-posting is against the Town Hall rules.

Plus, it's your dealer that is the problem.

Check out this guy's experience:

danellh, "Forester Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions" #63, 30 Sep 2007 10:15 am
    There may be missing things in this story.... Often times things are left out etc.

As Juice said, the dealer pushed for some reason to NOT have it claimed under warranty, and that's who I'd take issue with, not SOA themselves as the dealer has direct input on it.

-mike
  • elislordelislord Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about the cross posting - I just found this site and was unaware of the rule.
    I think there's something with this owner too but I don't know how to proceed there. I am friends with the salesperson who sold me the car. She has since left the dealership but told me that she has seen this owner do this to several customers with warranty claims. She said he has a habit of petitioning SOA to deny the claim. The Service Mgr I am dealing with told me he agrees with me and in printing out my service history, pointed out several areas where I had complained of front end noise and problems and said "these should help you".
    My question is, when SOA sides with the owner and denies the claim, who is now the problem; the owner or SOA? Also, is SOA denying this to try to stave off a big recall? Looking through these posts you see numerous occurances of front end noise being diagnosed as a sway bar but the repairs are NOT fixing the problem. Could it be the problem is bigger and SOA is trying to avoid dealing with it? Also, the ball joints in the Tribeca do not have a grease fitting so they cannot be properly inspected and lubed during maintenance appointments. How do you know there is no problem if you can't properly inspect the parts?
    Ball Joints haven't been greaseable or inspectable in most cars for the last 15+ years.

I own and race subarus, including heavy ones like the tribecca, and this is just a freaky flaw that took place. I've rarely if ever, seen this in the last ~9 years I've been working on subies. I've seen it happen, but all the cases were due to an impact with a curb, pothole, etc.

-mike
    why would the owner try to deny a claim?? while the labor rate SOA pay them may not be the "list price" its not chicken feed either and I'm sure they aren't losing money doing warranty work. I'm on my 6th subaru and have had Subaru extended warranty work on 2 and SOA and the dealer have fixed things which clearly aren't even covered. the dealer is the problem here.
  • ajulianoajuliano Member Posts: 5
    Hello fellow subaru car owners:
    I am coming up on 36K miles on my subaru forrester and need everyone's input. I am wondering whether I should fork out the money to buy this extended warranty - either to 60K or 80K (with a $100 deduct). Is it worth it?? Should I get the Gold Plus one from the dealer (this one covers bumper to bumper).
    What are your thoughts!!??
    Acunurse
    The warranty includes roadside assistance. If you don't already have that, that's a nice value-added to help justify it.
  • 3rd13rd1 Member Posts: 1
    How good is this roadside assistance? Response time, etc. etc.. What network provides this service and what is the coverage like? Are rural areas covered?

There appears to only be a $100 allowance for towing. That doesn't seem like much compare to AAA.

As for the warranty part, I never had any problems between the end of the factory warranty and 100K miles that the Gold Plus would cover on either of my two previous Subies.

I actually said ok to the Gold Plus 6/60 plan yesterday on a used '06 Impreza still under factory warranty in order to lock in a discounted price, but now I'm second guessing that decision. I have never done an extended warranty before based on cost and what is actually covered and what's not.

The discounted price was $932 with the $100 deduct.. My gut is telling me I won't break even and should cancel it.
    Read the fine print, but I think if you don't use it you can get at least a partial refund.

My wife used the roadside assistance once, it worked well. I forgot the name, but it's a 3rd party that other manufacturers use as well.

We have 7 dealers in our area, so the 100 miles works for us, if and when needed.

We had AAA before but I think it was about $75 per year. Over the 7 years we had the Legacy that really adds up, paying for more than half the warranty, though there are other benefits.

Another thing - in our case it sure helped sell the car. The buyer kept commenting to his wife that it was under warranty, no worries, etc. It definitely made it an easy sale.
    I was having the same thought. My Subaru Forrester 06 has now 36K and I had to make the decision to extend the warranty. I ended up getting the extended full warranty through the dealership for about 2k. I think i may cancel. Not much goes wrong before 100K . . at least so i am hearing. I mean, there is the chance, and will it cost more than 2k??
    Any one else out there between, 36K to 100K with Sub. Forrester that can reassure me, if i keep up with maintenance, most likely I won't need to do major work on it that will cost that much!

Thanks!
    $2k is kinda high, so it may not be worth it, unless an auto trans blows up. If you have a clutch...
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The people who sell these warranties know that only a very, very small percentage ever come close to breaking even. If your car has been trouble free for 36k you will probably go 100k without any major problems. Check out consumer reports. Bank the money. I've bought extended warranties on several cars with poor reputations and never even used them. The subaru is way up on the reliability list. If it helps you sleep at night then buy the warranty but chances are slim you will need it. The people who write these policies make big bucks on them.
    Dealers make comissions selling them, but Subaru actually loses a little bit of money with their Subaru extended warranties.

They still keep the program going because it establishes good will with customers, and helps get repeat buyers.

Dealers may make money, but SoA loses a little.
    I do have a clutch and the warranty excludes the cost of the clutch disc, which I hear is the main component. I talked to my mechanic and he thinks I shouldn't keep the warranty. Since its a subaru, I won't most likely have major costs between now and 100K that will cost me over 2K. Any other thoughts out there??
    Acunurse
    Plus a clutch is a few hundred. An auto (even rebuild) is a few grand, so it's a much bigger exposure on an automatic.
This discussion has been closed.