Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35/G37 Seat Comfort

mommateemommatee Member Posts: 4
I have been wanting an Infiniti G35 for a loooonnnnggg time. The time has finally come and will be ready to purchase one in October. I currently drive a 2000 Honda Accord. My husband and I took a trip in my car this week and we had to stop at least every hour due to my husband's lower back pain. Anytime he drives my car for 20-30 minutes at a time, his back really starts hurting.

My question is...........how comfortable is the driver's seat of the Infiniti G35? Does anyone personally have lower back problems and drive an Infiniti G35?

I'm also trying to decide between a Coupe and a Sedan. I can probably guess a Couple will be out of the question for my husband.

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    You'll need to check out both a Sport and Non-Sport model, as the seats differ in these models.

The Sport model offers adjustable side bolsters and thigh extensions, and the non-sport is a little more cozy, IMO.

I have a G35X and I love my seats.
    The wife's Acura MDX drives my legs, back and shoulders to horrible aches and pains...all which I never get while in my beloved G. :blush:
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news :cry: But we own an 05 X and I have lower back issues. I cannot take long trips in the car. I LOVE THIS CAR but it is my wifes daily driver because of this issue. I can go up to four hours if we stop so I can stretch, but this is not a good seat for my back on long trips.....
  • mommateemommatee Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I do hate to hear this news but it's exactly what I'm looking for. I want to hear information "straight from the owner's mouth" so to speak. I looked at the differences between Infiniti Sedan models and the G35 Sport and G35 Sport 6MT show the following as standard but had N/A for the G35, Journey & X. I wonder if this makes a differences one way or the other.

"Front sport seats with thigh extension and driver’s power torso and thigh support"
    Also keep in mind that the seats in the 05 are NOT the same seats in the newly redesigned 07.
    Like I said, I have issues on long trips in the wife's car and the G has never given me any aches or pains.
    You'll need to sit in them yourself to see.

Actually, sit in a used 05 (which should be on any lot) and then sit in the 07 and see the differences for yourself.
    Just curious, why would there be unused 05's??? Did they not sell or something?
    Actually, sit in a used 05 (which should be on any lot) and then sit in the 07 and see the differences for yourself.

Who said "unused" ? :confuse:
    Lots of people lease these cars and the 2 year lease is very popular.
    There's a very good chance of seeing an 05 on the lot....

Not to buy, but to compare the seats.
    mnrep2, in post # 3, said the 05 seats were not comfortable.
    I suggested comparing the 05 to the 07 since the seats are different.
    Personally, I find the 07 G seats VERY comfy, and I find myself to be very uncomfortable in almost all cars I ride in.
  • jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    Hello, just joined after being a lurker for the last couple of weeks.

I don't have back problems as such, and don't own an Infiniti G yet (but realistically it's only a matter of time!). After doing a lot of test driving of the G35 '07 Coupe, G37 '08, G35 Sport Sedan 6MT and the X, I have to say that I thought the seats were supremely comfortable in the newest available versions of both the Sedan and Coupe when compared to the older ones. In fact, it seemed like the Infiniti offered the best support and seat adjustments of anything else I tried. Very impressive!
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    I have an '05X and have a a lifetime of back issues. I find the seats mostly comfortable but I find that I am somewhat twisted in the seat. Not sure if this is the friving position of the car or something in the way I sit. I have sat in the '07 model and I believe the seats are better, especially because the seat controls have been moved to the side of the seat from the top.
    Sorry!!! My bad. I guess I saw "un" in front of the word "used". :blush:
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Not sure if this is the friving position of the car

Well, that's clearly what the problem is...if it was a driving position, you wouldn't be so twisted!
    ;);)
    Z
  • karlizimkarlizim Member Posts: 1
    I bought the '07 G35x after turning in my '04 G35. I was fine in the '04 but the '07 seats are extremely hard! I have to use a seat cushion or I am in constant pain in my lower back and thighs, even after I get out of the car. Bummer because I absolutely love this car otherwise.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    I have a bad back and I must have good seats. My wife's Volvo XC90 is heaven and have driven 6 hours straight in it, no problem. I remember in 2005 driving the G35 coupe with the 19inch wheels which absolutely killed me. I am happy to report that the G37 was very comfortable with excellent seats. On top of that, whta made a huge difference if the front cushion that pulls out which allows your thighs to rest and take the pressure off your low back. Great. I drove the new G35 sedan and did not find it as comfortable with regards to my condition as the more upright sitting position pressig the clutch was not as ideal as the coupe, but still very good.
    The sedan that you just drove... was is equipped with sport seats?
    The sport seats have the same thigh extensions that you mention enjoying in the G37.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Yeah it was the sport...my problem has to do more with the upright seating position. The G37 you are not stepping on the clutch you are pushing it almost horizontally which , for me, is much more comfortable.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    I got a new 08 G35X Sport. Just got back from a 380 mile R/T journey from Northern NJ to Framingham, MA. About 3:05 each way with no stopping. I have a bad back where I can easily get a pinched nerve. I found the seats to be comfortable for the entire trip. No numbness in the legs or any where else. The driver's seat with the Sport package is nice. I had to play around with the reclining seatback to get the headrest in the right position and also to find a comfortable elbow resting position when switching L & R hands. Just took a little experimenting.

I think the bigger issue is, can you stand a firm ride? Gs are sporty and offer a firmer ride like a BMW. If you have a bad back and find that a firm ride is too much, you may want ot move up to an M which dampens better. It's also not quiet inside the cabin when the road surface gets rough, but it doesn't disturb me from enjoying the MP3s on the road. I give the G35 Sport seat a 9 out of 10 for seating comfort.
    Framingham, ay?
    I work in Framingham, so I'll keep my eye open for the new 08 X-Sport.
    Not many G's around our part yet... and that's the way I like it! ;)
  • hpgatorhpgator Member Posts: 39
    While I don't own an G35 (I have an '05 TL), I have really wanted one ever since they came out with the redesign. I have driven a G35 journey w/ sport pkg a few times, and I must say that the seats feel great once you get the bolsters properly set and have the thigh extension out (only with "sport" pkg, I believe). The seats did not feel anywhere near as firm as my Acura seats have been either.
  • nick1958nick1958 Member Posts: 9
    I owned a 2004 G35 Coupe, which I absolutely loved - except that I also couldn't stand the seats for more than an hour or two, with annoying back pain. I sold it to await the G37, which I now own - only to find out that the Sport Seats caused the same problem as in the G35.

The Sport Seats are the exact same ones used in the Japanese home market Skyline (the average Japanese male is about 5'4" and 130 lbs, the average American is about 5'11" and 190 lbs. - Americans are just bigger than Japanese, and most car companies fit bigger seats here). The problem seems to be that the seat is too narrow, and the pressure, particularly in the thigh area, results in lower back pain (the G35 seats exacerbated this problem by having the seat adjustment controls immediately under your right thigh, further crimping the available space.

I drove my car on a 1500 mile trip, and started wanting to claw my way out of the seats after about 4-5 hours. It's just too confining for me.

The problem is now solved! I found a simple and elegant solution. I took the car to a custom upholstery shop (I called several, to find one that has worked on seats in high end sports cars). While they had not worked on a G37 before, they have done similar modifications on other "Sport" seats (in Porsches) to provide more room. The same solution they have used on Porsches worked perfectly on the G37S.

The G37 Sport Seat has a rigid metal brace in each thigh bolster. It is a plate, about 1 in x 6 in, with a short supporting rod on each end. It is welded to the seat frame, and holds the thigh bolsters very rigidly at a nearly upright angle. If you push down and feel around in the thigh bolster, you can feel this metal brace just under the upholstery. The adjustable thigh bolster bladders also push against these braces, making for a very tight fit - it is rock hard.

The solution was simple: remove the braces. They removed the driver's seat, took the upholstery off the bottom, and just cut off the braces. Reassembled, the seat looks exactly stock - it is now identical to the non-Sport (regular) seat bottom, but still with the inflatable thigh bolsters. There is no way of telling that anything was done. But, sitting in it is just a world of difference! Instead of the thigh bolsters being rock hard and unyielding, the thigh bolsters are now resilient and pliable, and yield to the pressure of legs and a larger body on them. The driver's seat now behaves and feels like the bottoms of the non-Sport seats. The inflatable bolster bladders still work, but are just not as rock-hard, since they are now pushing against foam and upholstery instead of fixed steel.

Driving is now a completely new experience. The seat is now actually completely comfortable, instead of just somethig to be tolerated in exchange for the rest of the benefits of the car. The back bolsters are unchanged, so one is still held in place "Sport" style, but without the confining pressure on the legs (I asked them to look into the back bolsters, but they cannot be played with because of the seat mounted side air bag).

For anyone who also feels the thigh bolsters are too confining, this is a simple and invisible solution that completely cures the problem (I wouldn't be surprised if Infiniti might start doing this in the future, if they get enough complaints about the seats). After 5000 miles with this modification, the seat looks completely stock, there has been no sagging or other degredation of the material - removing the metal braces simply turns the Sport seat bottom back into the regular seat, which to my bottom is much more comfortable.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    I'm going to purchased a 2008 G35x tommorrow. I test drove the sport, my a** and legs could not fit in those sport seats. I'm 6'3'' 230lbs. The dealer said that half the men that test drive the sport version don't fit. I have to settle for the wheel and tire pkg instead. I really wanted the side sills, but oh well!! A comfortable back and behind are more important.
    When I bought mine in April of 07, the Sport pack wasn't available with the X model.
    My friend at work has an 08 X Sport and I like the seats... enough that I'm now looking for a local G Sport owner who may wanna swap seats.
    I'm 6' 185 lbs and find the seats to be perfect for me, although I haven't tested them on a 1,000 drive either.
  • grumpy77lgrumpy77l Member Posts: 1
    I like your solution. I have wanted to buy one. However sitting in the sport model...which is the best model....u have to get the sport seats. I am not that
    big as well 5' 11' 195 but it is a tight and uncomfortable fit. How much did that cost
    you to get that seat modified??
  • tallbrunettetallbrunette Member Posts: 6
    I read Nick's blog on the seat, he is absolutely correct. Those seats are made for the small Japanese population.
    But let me advise everyone...the air bags for this car do not go off
    unless directly hit in certain spots on the car.
    I found out after someone ran a red light and directly hit my drivers
    side door and crashed it in. I hit my head on the drivers window and
    was hospitalized. NONE of the airbags went off. When I complained to Infiniti they checked the car and said there was NOTHING wrong.
    SO BUYER BEWARE: YOU are paying for something that doesn't work.
    TallBrunette... you've been a member of the forums here for 2 years and you've made 4 posts within that time.
    Your past posts show that you purchased the Acura TL, and not the G35.

Did you get rid of the TL and swap it for a G?
    Who's G was in this accident and what year was your model G35?
  • biffster1biffster1 Member Posts: 2
    I just drove a 2005 6spd G35 coupe. I had high hopes that this would be the car for me, but it had to be the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. My last car was a turbo Talon and it was a dream to drive compared to the G in almost every way. Ride, handling, seats (worst ever), shifter position, etc. About the only thing the G was better at was 0-60, but if that's all I wanted, I would get a Mustang (yuck!). And what's with the short gears when you have such a powerful engine? Maybe that's why there are so many late model G's on the car lots. :(
  • drevan568drevan568 Member Posts: 1
    Who did the work on the seats? Please email me DrEvan568@aol.com
  • bcdismebcdisme Member Posts: 1
    Nick: Please advise where you got the work done on your seat. Thanks.
  • gennadstergennadster Member Posts: 1
    Hello Nick,
    Please, help me with following information. Thank you kindly!
    1. Was the leather upholstery cut / unzipped or modified in any way?
    2. Can the upholstery be removed without the special shop-skills. In other words, is it easy to remove the leather cover from the seat?
    3. What tools did the shop use to remove the metal brace: hack-saw, torch, machine?
    4. Did you have to disconnect the air-bad fuse in order to disconnect the seat electrical connector during removal?
    5. Any other helpful hints, photos, etc? This is my e-mail: ganasiev@yahoo.com
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    . Those seats are made for the small Japanese population.
    Or someone who less than 6'3'' and 240lbs. I can't properly fit in G37 coupe and so-so in sedan.
  • kmt123kmt123 Member Posts: 6
    There is a new Infiniti dealer opening in my area soon.... do new dealers have added sales incentives that may allow them to make a better "deal" than the existing dealers?

Thx!
  • ocinfinitiocinfiniti Member Posts: 2
    The Infiniti G35 Sedan seat from 2005-2006 model years is defective by design.

There are two metal rails that run below the right and left side of the seat cushion. That is the error. Must have been a design decision by some French engineer at Renault. On most vehicles, this metal rail is below the seat line. Try a Lexus. But in the case of this model, the rail is raised allowing a "sling" of springs to sit between them. The theory is that your rear-end and thighs will be narrow enough to slide between these rails, effectively giving you a firm set of foam covered steel bolsters holding you in place.

The problem with the design is that the rails are too narrow for most American (Non-Japanese) frames to fit comfortably in the seat. Thus, the vehicle is driven mostly by women and small men. Infiniti can not admit to the problem because it would mean a recall and all the class action issues that come along with such a problem.

I decided to repair the problem in my G35 Sedan. I had the seat controls removed from the top of the seat bolster, and moved down to the front side. I had the right thigh side re-upholstered and re-padded. Unfortunately, this was not enough support in the middle because I still slid down into the seat between the rails, but my thighs are too wide (I'm not fat, jut a big guy). So I put new slings under the seat between the rails. All of this did nothing to make the seat more comfortable. Besides, the seat does not go down low enough so my head tends to graze the roof line (unless I lean the seat back).

Infiniti really dropped the ball on the comfort issue of the vehicle. A true disappointment. To get so many issues right in this car and totally blow it on the driver's seat is such a sad oversight, that I question the design and engineering quality of the company as a whole.

My back aches. So I take Advil - lots of Advil.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    What do you think of the solution previously posted:

#20 Tight Sport Seats - problem solved by nick1958 Mar 24, 2008 (2:28 pm)

It generated a lot of responses that nick1958 never responded to.
  • ocinfinitiocinfiniti Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I tried what nick1958 did and had the seat buttons moved. Didn't solve the problem. The seat rails on either side do not support the center of the seat. The design of the seat is fatally flawed. Infiniti should have had a whole new seat designed for the US market. People test drove the car and complained but the dealers could do nothing about it so they would deny the problem.

I have spoken with several Lexus IS owners who tried the G35 first and walked over to the Lexus dealer and drove out with a Lexus. Infiniti lost thousands and thousands of sales due to the lousy driver's seat design. I'm sure of that. I've met drivers of Mustangs who asked me if my back side hurts from my G35. Why would someone I met randomly in a 711 ask me if I am uncomfortable in my car? This seat problem is universally known, so nobody can understand why dealers never complained about it.

The 2005/2006 G35 driver seat back is the equivalent to a typical airline seat. The curve and support in the back of the seat is appropriate a 5'3" woman (my wife) or a small Japanese male. I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam. So every time I get in the car, I feel like I'm being squeezed into a cheap American Airlines seat. It's a horrible experience. I did not test drive the car long when I bought it. Had I taken it out for more than 20 minutes, I never would have bought. I could see making a lousy seat for the passenger, but the driver should have the most amazingly comfortable seat ever made.

A proper drivers seat would have a back that stays at a certain height and the seat cushion only goes up and down. Hop in a Lexus GS350 or an IS250/350/F, BMW 325. Even if I lower the seat, the back does not adequately provide support for my back, shoulders, etc. I sit too high in the vehicle. So every bounce, turn etc makes me feel like I might roll off the seat. If I were seated lower in the vehicle, it would feel much better like I was in real sports car.

It's the seat that makes the vehicle, sadly, a poor driving experience. I think otherwise the gear box, suspension, steering, breaking, etc are great. Go hop in a BMW. Drivers sitting position is taken very very seriously. Driver feels like he never wants to get out of the vehicle. Nissan/Infiniti unfortunately missed the boat on the seat for the 2003-2006 model years.

I wonder if one of the newer G37 seats will fit in my vehicle? I borrowed one from a dealer during a maintenance visit and it felt much much better. So Infiniti actually knew that the seat was poorly designed. They just didn't want to go through new safety ratings tests for a seat redesign in 2005 for that model update. So they let the car go out with the flawed seat until the full revamp in 2007.

Come to think of it, I did measure the tracks for a newer G37 and the seat rails seem to be the sam as in my 05 G35. If Infiniti would give me one of the newer seats to try out, I would consider showing a little respect to Infiniti.

If you plan to purchase one of these cars, I recommend being 5'8" or shorter. If you are any taller, I recommend a crate of Advil.
  • divanmotiondivanmotion Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 2011 for three months. The seats are uncomfortable and I suffer lower back pain after driving for a period of time. The seats are much harder than the 2008 Infiniti I owned. Has anyone notice the seats appearing to look worn out? I have stone leather interior and the driver side seat already looks worn. I am curious if anyone has noticed.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I haven't noticed that (seats looking worn) on my 2009 G37, though I have the black leather interior.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Other than the fact that I could do without the adjustable seat bolsters on my G37S sedan, I have found the seats to be among the most comfortable I have ever experienced. I have gotten used to the bolsters, so they don't bother me anymore.

I don't know why the seats are so uncomfortable for you. Since it is your back that is bothering you, do you need to adjust the lumbar support?
  • tallbrunettetallbrunette Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2011
    I did own a Infiniti G. I was hit in the drivers side by someone running a red light. The air bags did not go off and I hit my head against the drivers window and was taken to the hospital. I brought the car to Infiniti Englewood, NJ and they had an "independent" person check the "black box" in the car and said there was no problem with the airbags. The car was NOT hit in the "sweet spot".
    Well when you pay $$$$ for an upscaled car you expect the whole car to have a sweet spot. Now I have a 2009 Nissan Murano and understand they have recalls for the airbags!!!