Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dolbowdolbow Member Posts: 5
    I have a serious safety problem with my 2009 Veracruz. The doors wont latch shut. This started with the passenger door when I was car pooling with some friends. The front passenger pulled the door shut and thought it was closed, only to have it swing open on a curve. I took it to the dealer in Preston, MD and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now it is continuing fly open on the passenger side and this past week on the driver side. Now that was a little exciting as I tried to maintain control of the car, while reaching out to pull the door closed several times. :confuse:
  • danazdanaz Member Posts: 1
    You are lucky to get it fix right away. Actually this happened to me twice. The first one was on Dec, 2008 before the recall date. I couldn't switch the shifter and the brake was LOCKED (couldn't be pushed down) and ESC was on too. The dealer fixed it. Then this time (2 days back, after one year and half), it even worse. The engine light was on, plus, battery and ABS. The car lost powder when driving on the road. Then it was totally dead. Again, the shifter couldn't be moved from D to P. The brake paddle couldn't be pushed. Now it is in dealer by towing there.
  • zoidboigzoidboig Member Posts: 2
    That happened to me twice as well. The first time, we were able to pull into a parking lot. It wouldn't start afterwords, so we jump started it and everything was fine until we removed the cables, then it stalled again. I figured it was a dead battery (it was empty of water)
    Towed it too the dealer, they fixed the TPS (it was in the codes). The next day it happened again. Towed it again, this time they changed the alternator, and its been fine for about two months now.

Also, if anyone is having trouble starting your car on the first turn of the ignition, it is the 100% the fuel pump, which is covered 5 years 60000 miles
  • amilivamiliv Member Posts: 23
    My (2 and half year old) battery in 2008 Veracruz completely drained in less then 48 hours. Well, at least sufficiently to not be able to start the car. Now, while I suspect the battery died and does not hold the charge, I did measure how much amps the car is draining from the battery when it is turned off (locked, no interior lights, etc). I measured about 250 mA, which was a bit more than what I would expect. Is car drawing this current out of the battery normal? The battery in the car is rated at 80 Ah, so, 250 mA of constant current should drain battery completely in about 2 weeks. IMO, the battery in the car should hold longer when car is parked -- I'd expect to be able to start the car even if it was parked for up to a month. But, I'm not expert on this, hence the above question.

BTW, I measured for only relatively short period of time after locking the car (less then a minute). I don't know if there's anything non-obvious that turns off after the car is locked for longer time period (reducing the current drawn from the battery).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    250 milliamps is a little high but not all that unusual for modern vehicles with their computers and other electronic modules. Unfortunately, they will draw current even when the engine it turned off.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I've figured out why it was drawing 250mA. The hood was open, and there's a sensor for that. After disconnecting the sensor, and repeating measurement, the current would be initially around 250mA as before, then about 5-10 seconds later it would drop to 18mA and stay there. I guess when hood is open, it prevents some other subsystem from powering off.
    BTW, if anybody repeats the experiment on their car. After re-connecting the hood sensor (it's that two pin connector right behind the hood latch in engine compartment), and then re-connecting battery, the car alarm will trigger. Likely easiest way to turn it off is pressing "unlock" key on the remote.
  • masterm300masterm300 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Veracruz LTD and I had it towed from the airport after an 11 hour flight. I have been having issues with the ignition for a few months now. I would turn the ignition and it would take forever to start or sometimes would take 2-3 attempts to start it. The first time I realized it, I took it to the dealership (I took it there because I have my warranty through them)& they could not get the same results. They told me it was not the starter and it was fine. I took it in again after it was dead and they replaced the battery, assuring me it was fine. Usually I can crank my car if it was recently cranked, but if it is the next day, I have this issue.
    Now I am reading online and many are having the issues I am having, claiming it is the fuel pump. It is in the dealership today and I actually shot a video of the issue, offering to show the service guy, but all of a sudden, he is saying "sounds like the fuel pump". I am really frustrated that there has been a lack of communication from Hyundai about this issue and it seems that MANY are having the same problem. My wife is 4 weeks away from having a baby and we need a reliable car. If other issues continue, this will be my last Hyundai. We have already had the rotaries replaced, sunglass holder, rear view mirror, etc... Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty & haven't had to pay anything yet.....
  • emtaboyemtaboy Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2008 Verzacruz with only 17,xxx miles on the odometer. The car developed a shaking steering wheel when braking around 13k miles which became progressively worse with time to the point that any braking on the highway would cause the steering wheel to shake rather strongly. Trip to the dealer identified the obvious: warped front rotors. Dealer first said that was not covered by Hyundai. I balked as the car had only 17k miles. Dealer called regional rep in Midwest and they offered to "turn"....ie cut....my rotors to solve the problem. I called Hyundai North America direct and lodged a complaint. A representative called back and only offered the same remedy...to cut the rotors.

Anybody who knows about brakes realizes that their primary function is to dissipate the heat caused by the rubbing of the brake pad on the metal rotor. Consequently, "turning" a rotor (ie taking metal off the rotor) serves only to reduce the ability of the break to dissipate heat. What does this mean? Well these rotors will no doubt warp again as they can not handle the heat being produced by braking. Hyundai knows this but hopes consumer will go away because the brakes will feel "fixed" for a few thousand mile (or less) until they warp again.

This post is to warn anyone reading that Hyundai will not stand behind their product. They use sub-standard...ie cheap...rotors which warp. Google the issue and you will see many others with the same problem. Now the Veracruz is NOT a cheap car...indeed it was $38k car back in 2008 when I purchased it. If you want to sell cars at these prices then you need to treat the consumer better. Indeed, how much more could replacing the rotors cost vs cutting them??

Hyundai has just lost a customer for life and I will no longer recommend their cars. This is a safety issue also as one can lose control of the vehicle when the steering wheel begins to shake violently in a panic stop. Rotors do warp but better manufacturers at least replace with new pieces instead of recommending the "cheap" repair of cutting the rotor.

So keep this in mind when you shop your new Hyundai....when you spend close to $40k you might as well get an Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, etc because they treat their customers better....have owned all three and can attest to this fact.

Fool me once Hyundai...but never again. Good luck marketing higher end cars when you won't even replace your own cheap rotors.
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I agree and disagree with ya. Hyundai, I feel, does have a problem with rotors on their larger, heavier vehicles. I feel that it's not because they use cheaper materials, but because they are under engineered. Cutting rotors will always be the first fix to a warped rotor. That's a fact! They will continue to cut the rotor till it can't be cut anymore or it's too rusty. Weather it's a dealer or an independent garage. It wouldn't surprise me that the Lexus or Acura told you they replaced your rotors when they just cut them to fix the warping. I've been driving Hyundai's since 2004. I have an 02 Santa Fe with 89,000 miles and it's been bullet proof. And, a 07 Entourage mini van that I have had trouble with the rotors. I'm near 68,000 miles and the front replaced twice and the rear once. Now the front are showing signs of warping again. My next set of rotors are going to be Cross - Drilled & Slotted ones. They dissipate heat the best, especially on a large heavy vehicle. If your not happy or think they use cheap materials for rotors, why would you want the same dealer crappy rotors? It also may be the dealer themselves. Some just don't care about customer service after the sale. I have been extremely happy with my Hyundai's, my next will also be a Hyundai. Maybe because I have a dealer that cares about customer service after the sale.
    First, the dealer has nothing to do with my problem as I stated that not only the regional Hyundai rep was contacted but also Hyundai North America. Neither would do anything but offer to "turn" my rotor. Second, turning does not fix the problem. It merely is a "band-aid" that will hide the problem until it happens again. Once a rotor warps it will almost always warp again given same driving conditions. Also, if they keep cutting the rotor it will only warp faster every subsequent cut. Rotors warp when too much heat is generated and they either melt the pad material on to the rotor or literally bend the rotor out of shape due to heat.

Either way, cheap OEM rotor can not take the heat. I note that this vehicle has much below average usage on the brakes as the about 1/3 of the mile were interstate with very low brake usage. And I have never used the brakes on mountains or any major emergency stop that might cause this. Very typical/below average use yet they still warped. I want a new rotor because at least that rotor will last longer, assuming Hyundai has not upgraded to a better quality replacement rotor, which I doubt given how cheap they appear to be. Or perhaps they don't want to set a precedent and admit the problem as it could lead to a recall.

Bottom line is it is a problem and Hyundai does not care. Stupid, as they lost me as a customer and when people ask about what I think of the vehicle, I'll say nice but beware of Hyundai as they don't care about customer or safety. Again, this has happened on other vehicles I have owned and manufacturer has always replaced the rotor as they know that cutting it is a cheap, short term fix. So before buying that Veracruz or Genesis, take a look at the Acura, Infiniti or Lexus. Indeed, I was considering a Genesis and the Acura TL. I have owned Acura in the past...night and day dealer experience not to mention service when compared to Hyundai. And the prices are about the same. Given my first warranty experience with Hyundai, can you guess who is going to get my business?? They better keep their customers out of the cheap showrooms with the Equus and treat them better. That is why you pay more for Lexus/Infiniti...why risk it with unknown Hyundai who now shows a history of cutting corners and screwing over customers. Remember, this was a $38k vehicle, not a $12k Elantra.

Sorry Hyundai...penny wise and pound foolish.
  • sdolbowsdolbow Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my Honda Accord's back in the late 80's. They also would not replace the weak rotors; but, overtime, they fixed this problem with stronger rotors that don't warp with heavy breaking.

Hopefully, Hyundai will learn from Honda's mistake and correct this right away. :(
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    Having them cut the rotors is not a bad thing. Normal, first approach to a warped rotor.
    All rotors will warp at some time. At 17,000, that is too early. Wanting them to put new rotors on when the rotor is a wearable part that is only covered under a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty will be tough. Like I said, their rotors are under engineered. If they would put new rotors on as a sign of good faith, they would put they same under engineered ones on. 18,000 miles or sooner you'll be in the same boat. Besides the crappy rotors, are you happy with the vehicle? Has the dealer been responsive to any of the other problems you may or may not have and have they corrected them in a timely matter? I've learned my lesson about their rotors and that is why I'm going with a different make. What if the Acura or Lexus dealer had done the same thing about poor rotors or any other problem on a wearable part with 17,000 miles on it, would it be OK because it's a Acura or Lexus or Infinity.
    Perhaps you are not understanding. I want new rotors, even the same ones which will warp again, because at a minimum it will mean I will NOT have to revisit the dealer as soon as I might otherwise. If others are not having problems with their rotors then perhaps my rotors are defective, not all, and another reason to replace. Bottom line is that my rotors are bad and cutting them is NOT the answer, only a short term "fix" to hide the problem.

And my point with the other manufacturers is that I have dealt with them and they do REPLACE rotors. Lexus GS i owned made a grinding sound...they immediately replace rotors and pads to fix. Still there. Diagnosed as bad tires. So what did Lexus do?? They replaced OEM Bridgestone tires with new Michelin Pilots...FOR FREE. They did this for two different GS's I owned. That is about $1000 of rubber times 2 cars. That is why Lexus is Lexus...and yes I realized I pay for it part via higher price.

No problem with past Acura, but had Infiniti QX and they had well known brake rotor issues. No problem...new rotors two times before they finally fixed with better hardware.

Now compare to Hyunda....sorry, we'll only cut your rotor to hide the problem for a few thousand miles. Sorry...unacceptable and you have lost me as a customer and I will tell everyone about this. I do like the vehicle otherwise, but why risk it with future issues?? If I can't have a problem free cars for at least 36k miles, why bother. Brake failure at 17k miles should be covered and has been by other manufactures. Again, if Hyundai is going to sell cars from a cheap Elantra to a $40k plus Genesis, they better distinguish how to treat these customers. Veracruz competes with Acura MDX and Lexus RX. Both of these manufacturers would NOT cut rotors.

Again, you get what you pay for. Goodbye Hyundai, nice knowing you!
  • masterm300masterm300 Member Posts: 2
    You should fight it. We complained that our steering wheel was shaking when we brake and they replaced the rotors without any issues. It may depend on your dealer. You need to get a manager involved and if they are unwilling to do it, tell them you are going to walk on the sales floor to prevent others from buying a Hyundai. Go as high up in management as you can go. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Our Hyundai Veracruz is a 2008 and we have already had these replaced: rotors, sunglass holder-wouldn't open all the way, battery (had a bad cell), and recently a fuel pump-car wouldn't start like others & so many have had this issue, it should be a recall. Now all of this we have had no arguments on them replacing and have had to contribute $0.00. That being said, it has still been very frustrating & very inconvenient having this many issues with a 2008!

I recently bought an 2010 Acura TL and I bet $$$ that I won't have these kinds of issues in 2012 (when it's 2 years old).
  • lugandchuglugandchug Member Posts: 3
    Soooo..my question does everyone's Veracruz shake and shimmy from 35 -40 while maintaining these speeds? We purchased a 2010 Veracruz Limited in June 2010. Vehicle is perfect for what we wanted, however it has not lived up to the engineering quality promised in its online Brochure-or website promising a smooth ride. beginning at 35 -40 mph, unless accelerating through these speeds--it LUGS--like a standard shift does when put in a higher gear too soon. After 10-15 trips to the dealer--the Hyundai local rep tells me this is normal operation for the Veracruz--it is torque converter lock up. He says this is how all Veracruz's drive. I'd like to hear from as many Veracruz owbers as possible--and if this is the case--then anyone considering a Veracruz should keep shopping....I'm trading back to GM ASAP.
  • mihir98mihir98 Member Posts: 2
    Pretty much the same story here! Bought in May 2010, Limited AWD Veracruz lugs, shutters, stutters whatever you want to call it around 30 mph ... slow tp pick up and it almost gives a feeling as to the car will just stop and not accelerate further!
  • lugandchuglugandchug Member Posts: 3
    The Hyundai e-brochure says the Veracruz is a "soul stirring experience"..ha--now we know what they mean. Its hard to believe they can't fix this--its more they won't fix it. The rep said to just speed up through it or down shift it---wow. Talked to me like I was a 16 year old kid with his first car and should think all $40,000 cars shake and shudder like this.
  • zoidboigzoidboig Member Posts: 2
    Ive had this problem, but I don't really notice it anymore (I may have got used to it)
    It might be due to the face that its a 6 speed transmission, and is in 6th gear, so it needs to downshift to get any power (think of a mountain bike if that helps)
    It did bother me to begin with, but as I see it, its helping me save a little gas, so i'll deal with it.
  • nutsofamilynutsofamily Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same thing now (08 LTD Veracruz in Vancouver).

Always happens in the am when cold. After a couple of times turning the car off then on again the problem goes away and eventually check engine light. Have an apt next week.

Any other info I can tell the dealer when I go in?
  • rosered11rosered11 Member Posts: 7
    Nutsofamily: I wish I had some info for you to tell your dealer. After I posted, the Veracruz stalled again. I got rid of it the end of March. I will never buy another Hyundai because this really soured me. I did not feel safe in it and both dealers could not seem to fix the issue. I hope you have more success than I did.
  • kenneth46kenneth46 Member Posts: 1
    The day after I took possesion of my 2010 Veracruz (7-8-10) I was pulling out of a parking lot, press on the gad and nothing happened...it did not happen again until the following week.I took the Veracruz in the next week and Hyundai could not find any problem. It happened again intermittently over the next few weeks. Hyundai kept the Veracruz for 4-5 days but could not duplicate the problem. I asked for a different Veracruz but they would not. The hesitation problem at low speeds continues but I'm exasperated!!!As long as hyundai can not duplicate the hesitation..the problem does not exist in their mind...anyone have a similar problem...I can't get it fixed and Hyundai won't replace the Veracruz...they can keep their 100,000 mile warranty and this 2010 Veracruz...HELP!!!
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    edited January 2011
    That isnt hesitation, thats incommunication between the go pedal and the throttle. You just need to be persistent, they cant fix what they cant find. It could be a faulty component of the pedal assembly. Make notes of when it happens, and mark down the miles, eventually you will have a pattern they can go by, and then take it in and demand a loaner until they find and fix the issue. Try a different dealer if you get no results. Electrical gremlins are the worse problems any mechanic, from Kia to Mercedes, has to deal with. Drive by wire exasperates the issues. There is no longer a mechanical link between the pedal and the throttle body, it is all done by computer and electric motors. Either the computer isnt seeing the signal from the pedal, or the throttle motor is hanging or not seeing the input from the computer.
  • dna217dna217 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 veracruz w/ awd. One evening (1/29/2011) on the way back home, the car vibrated and would not move. I had noticed the AWD warning indicator came on. I had to turn off the ignition and re-started the car. The engine check light came on and AWD warning light went off.
    The next day, the dealer replaced the Throttle position sensor. I wonder there is a design issue with this sensor. :sick:
  • rosered11rosered11 Member Posts: 7
    That is the same thing that happened to my Veracruz. They replaced the throttle position sensor on mine three times. I firmly believe there is a design issue. I called Hyundai Corporation and was informed they had received no complaints. I could not believe that I was the only one with issues, especially after reading consumer complaints online. Good luck to you. I hope your issue is resolved.
  • jetanijetani Member Posts: 1
    I would say, please contact BBB.org
    as well as
    http://www.safeny.ny.gov/veh-link.htm
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/

The more complaints are registered to third party, the better outcome. Because not many of us report or take this issue to the organization who can help us.
  • scjetsonscjetson Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced my APS Sesor twice in 3 years on my 2007 Veracruz. It seems to last about a year and a half. Both times, it was on a long trip in the middle of no where. I would actually like to buy an extra one and keep it in the glove box because I know it will go out again. Anybody know where it is physically located and could I change it easily on the side of the road?
  • cobalt107cobalt107 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 veracruz started lugging or jerking between 35-45mph & would not throw a code. I carried mine to the dealer. The replaced the TPS but I still had the same problem. They kept the car & the mechanic drove with monitor attached & when the jerking, stumbling, bogging down whatever you want to call it started......it showed misfires on cylinders 1,3,5 & no codes & bank #1 30.7 degrees out of timing with Bank#2. They contacted tech line & tech line, was told to replace oil control valve part # 24355-3C200. Runs like a champ now.

Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin, May 2009, Engine, Number 09-EM-002, CVVT oil control valve inspection.
    Hope this helps some of you guys.......easy fix. One on each head & one bolt each holding each in.
  • cobalt107cobalt107 Member Posts: 2
    Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin, May 2009, Engine, Number 09-EM-002, CVVT oil control valve inspection.
    This will cause hesitation from stop, bogging down & etc. There is one on each cylinder bank.
  • gsutherlandgsutherland Member Posts: 1
    While driving at 70 miles an hour using cruise control, the car jerked, check engine light came on and the car completely stopped accelerating. There was no response when pressing the gas pedal. Luckily we were near an exit, we were not rear ended by a truck and were able shift lanes and to roll off and put our hazard lights on. On the exit the car came to a dead stop. After checking the engine we turned it off and the car started back up and were able to drive to a local service station concerned about driving any farther. The mechanic was able to determine there was and error code related to the throttle control. On restarting the car the engine lights reset and the car ran normally.

We continued on our trip and when returned home brought the car to to the Hyundai dealer where it was purchased to service the car. After they examined the car we were told there was nothing they could do as there were no error codes in memory and we should continue to drive it until it happened again. When I mentioned that there was a technical service bulletin regarding the throttle sensor and it should be either replaced or tested, I was told that they could not do anything until an error was recorded in the memory of the computer because Hyundai USA would not cover anything under warranty even though this was a serious safety concern and would most likely occur again. When I asked if it was likely to occur again, I was told it most likely would happen soon and too be careful.

A month later, when traveling on a long trip, it happened again traveling at about 65 mile per hour. This time there was no shoulder but I was able to partial pull of the road and put on my hazard lights as cars drove by and avoided hitting mine. Based on my prior experience, I turned the car off and was able to restart and move again. This same situation occurred four (4) more times as I was able to get my car finally back home to the Hyundai dealer to service the car.

The Hyundai dealer replaced both the throttle sensor and the pedal assembly and the car appears to be working properly for the last two weeks.

Having researched the problem with acceleration, I have learned that a number of other owners have experienced this similar and potentially dangerous problem. After speaking with other Hyundai service technicians I was told off the record that this was not an uncommon problem. As the throttle sensor cost less than $30 I am not sure why Hyundai did not address this problem when I first brought the car in for repair or as a recall as the consequences could be much more serious.
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    bought this 10 days ago and no one at the dealer can help me find out what model is the bluetooth. how to pair my phone to it. the bluetooth is a round button with a green phone and a red phone on the button. it is on the console with the mike next to the rear view mirriw. each time i try to search with my phone it comes up no device found. called att no help,call hyundai and they said that it was factory installed.can anyone help please>thanks jim :confuse:
  • bigjimd2804bigjimd2804 Member Posts: 34
    Hate to tell you this, but you aren't describing an OEM Bluetooth device. The OEM Bluetooth replaces the factory roof console sunglass holder and Is totally self contained. It isn't clear if you bought this vehicle new or used;if new the dealer owes you the instructions. You might look for a name or model on the control and then Google it,or snap a pic with Google goggles.
    Jim
    You also need to know that Bluetooth in the Veracruz has never been available "factory installed", it is only available as a dealer installed accessory. The Hyundai OEM Bluetooth is made by blueconnect; they supply many car manufacturers their devices. Yours sounds like it may be made by Parrot.
    the car is used. but whin i called hyundai they pulled up the paper work and said that it was a factory from the koren factory the only poe adds was floor matts,splash guards roof rails and rack.even the dealer has no record except from the sticker .how to i find the parrot site.how to i tack a picture and up load to google? i thank you in advance jim :confuse:
    Are you in the United States? I've been a Hyundai owner since 2007, and have never seen a Veracruz come through from the POE with Bluetooth. Obviously you have the exception, but mine (and every other one I have seen) have a unit that looks like this:
    OEM Bluetooth
    Take a close up of the parts and send to me, I'll see what I can do to help.

Jim
    I did find some letters and number from a sticker on the wire.ROU 5752D1-00.thats on the top now on the bottom is BB0808106-TW thats the best i could see.even took the sticker off into better light.the wire is comeing from the headliner .the mike is next to the rear view mirrow and is held on by a clamp.thanks in advance jim
    yes this car is a exception even came with a 2tone leather seats.yes in charlotte nc the car was built 9-06-09 sent to the dealer in june of 10 is was bought from the dealer 2 weeks after it was sent.is was sold on 10-06-2011 to me .im the s 2nd owner it was hyundai cerified so it just a good as a new one.i got a 100,000 mile power train warrnety wats left of the 5year or 60,000 new car warrnety wich means i have at least 40,000 mile left or 3yrs.thanks again. :confuse:
    i know that this a crazy question but how do i upload a picture to you. :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2011
    You can use the IMG button and link to the photo URL. The photo needs to be hosted at a site like flickr.com or photobucket.com. Oh, try tinypic.com - it's quick and easy and will give you a URL to copy.

• hiestandhiestand Member Posts: 10
    Replying to "squeak in rear of Veracruz" regarding spare tire: Our 2008 Veracruz had the same squeaking noise. My spare tire & housing completely fell off bottom of undercarriage all over the road without warning. Apparantly the cables holding the spare tire were worn or "accidently cut when the hitch was added". Not covered by Hyundai.
  • hiestandhiestand Member Posts: 10
    My 2008 Veracruz with 61,000 miles has a plugged PCV valve and will need new spark plugs. I just took the vehicle into Hyundai service dept. for standard 60,000 service. My quote was a bit over $550.00 I got another phone call with the above problem. After spark plug replacement and adding a new battery & wiper blades now the cost is $1300.00
    Jim:

Sorry for the delay in response; I never received a message from this site advising there were new messages, so I assumed you never replied.

Couldn't find anything relative to those numbers, but it sounds like a Parrot, check their recent models out here: Parrot Manuals

Sounds like you got a nice deal.

Hope this helps,

Jim
  • eujil1eujil1 Member Posts: 1
    just happened all of a sudden, going to work, turned the ignition, backed out and noticed the airbag light . This is an 08 almost 4 yo, never had a problem whatsover except a noisy idle pulley.
  • dbdadbda Member Posts: 9
    This past summer, July 4th, on my way home from a long trip on interstate Route 80, outside of Pittsburg my 2009 Vercruz threw a piston. The vehicle had 10, 000 miles on it at the time. The vehicle continued to run on 5 pistons, with the engine light flashing, a loud cluncking noise, and no acceleration or power. I drove it another 20 miles like this as the sun set to Duboise P.A. Luckily there was a room at a Hampton Inn, and a Hyundai dealership there as well called Stokes Hyundai.

The next morning I drove it there and they diagnosed the problem. The vehicle would have to remain there for an extended period of time. Hyundai did not offer a loaner car, or any assistance to get me and my family home, I was on my own. (Thats what you call Hyundai Assurance) I rented a car for 350$ at the regional airport and drove back to NYC.

After spending countless hours on the phone with Hyundai I got no where, I even emailed the President and told him about my story. The next day a regional customer service person called me and tried to help me recoupe some losses. I wanted Hyundai to deliver the vehicle to me when it was repaired, pay me 350$ for a rent a car, and 115$ for my hotel room. They were willing to pay me up to 1,000 dollars but would not ship my car to NYC. So I rented another car to drive back to P.A. for 350, 5 hours there and 5 hours back. To me that was the last straw.

I purchased the vehicle brand new. Immediately after taking possesion the TPMS light would go on. I took it in the dealer. They would reset the computer and check the tire pressure. It did not fix the problem. So I continued to bring it into Hyundai and they did the same thing. I brought it in 5 times and savd the receipts. ( During this time it had other problems; one time my wife was driving it and the axile light came on the dash, the vehicle lost all power. Other issues; mirors would not turn down when in reverse sometimes. The steering wheel would jerk to the left and right when hitting a bump.) I then looked into the NYS Lemon Law and I knew I had a case.

I contacted an attorney and they took the case. I ended up settling with Hyundai for 5,000 because they werent able to fix the TPMS system from malfunctioning. I traded in the Vercruz for 23,500 and bought a 2012 Toyota Sienna for my wife. We are very happy with Toyota.

I probably wouldn't have threatened to sue Hyundai if they would have shipped the vehicle 350 miles to me. I guess for a big company 5,000 dollars is nothing but for me it got me into a 2012 Siena with practically no money out of pocket. But Hyundai lost more than 5,000 dollars. I would never buy another Hyundai. I believe their commercials are misleading, Hyundai Assurance. Whats the use of having a 5 year warranty if the vehicle is not relaible? I am so happy to be rid of that Varacruz, it gave me nothing but problems, and did not drive well.
  • huskerrusty69huskerrusty69 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Veracruz and just had the alternator go out in lovely Concordia, KS. 44k miles on the car and this is the 3rd electrical-type issue we have had. Anyone else out there that has had these types of problems??What other issues can I expect before I get fed up and trade it off!!!
  • mikeb242mikeb242 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    My 08 Veracruz limited is garaged in a detached garage. I open it with a garage door opener in the house. I opened it and found the hatch had opened by itself and the garage door caught it. when I got to the garage, the door was bowed out and the hatch jammed against it. I put the door down and closed the hatch manually. The garage door sprang back to it's shape and appears to work OK. The hatch has a small dent in it, the inside plastic hatch cover is badly damaged and the outside buttons do not work. I was outside the same day and the hatch went up by itself 2 times. Can't blame the fob as it was on the car floor the whole time. It's going to the dealer tomorrow.
  • indy501indy501 Member Posts: 3
    Oh man, I got the same problem for my 2007 Veracruz Lt. The hatch went up by itself 3 times for my cases. When the hatch opened in the garage first time, I thought I might pushed the remote button accidently somehow. Then I knew there was something wrong in my suv when the same thing happened in the garage for the second time. The third one just took place in the garage again. Unfortunately, I didn't know the hatch door already opened when I opened my garage door. As you guessed, the garage door was jammed with the hatch and ended up several dents left permanently. I just wonder how many owners of Veracruz out there are going thru with this problem. Is there anybody think it could be a bad electrical design on the hatch caused by Hyundai Veracruz?
  • ew_believerew_believer Member Posts: 2
    I am taking possession of a 2007 w/64500 miles. Am looking for an extended warranty for it and hopefully alot of the "bugs" identified in this forum will have already been addressed. How do I find a service record for this car as far as dealer-type repairs listed here?
    if you want to know what if any repairs have been done .go to the hyundai service site and look for the register.once you do that you can log in.you will needthe vin number.it will tell you everything you need to know and then some.