Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder No Start Problems

jjz6969jjz6969 Member Posts: 2
My 93 XE Nissan Pathfinder has had a problem starting for the last year and a half, it started out that i thought i had a bad starter. I went out and bought a starter, just to find out that it still had the same problem starting. I put in a cheater switch, too bypass the one in the dash. So that way the starter would turn, no matter what the key switch did. Well, over the course of the last few months it has begun to get worse again. To the point that not even the cheater switch is working anymore, just back to the fast clicking on the firewall or inner fender??? it has a brand new battery as well???
Does anyone have a clue, about what the heck the problem might be???

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Are you getting any power from your battery?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jjz6969jjz6969 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I'm getting power from the battery. the dash lights up it does everything it suppose to to do, prior to starting. the fuel system charges up, the lights in the dash come on. it just does't turn over. it runs after push starting it, but doesn't start with the key. doesn't even turn just faint clicking off the inner fender or firewall on the passengers side of vehicle, when i turn the key.
  • pathguypathguy Member Posts: 4
    try checking the ground might be loose make sure nice and tight
  • mike221mike221 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I've got an 89 pathfinder and if all of a sudden wont start. It turns over and sounds strong turning over, and it smells like gas after I stop trying. I haven't had any problems with it. I just all of a sudden wouldn't start. I removed the air filter cover and then tried to start it and when I stopped turning it over it ignited out of the air filter housing. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas what it is?
  • jwingfieldjwingfield Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like the very same problem that I am experiencing with my 97 model. Where is the particular ground located at as I do not posses a set of schematics showing my electrical system layout.
  • don227don227 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having a similar problem with my 97 Pathfinder. I starts good when cold but it is hard to start when warm. It turns over and over and will usually start and run rough after several tries. Let me know what you find out.
  • theb81theb81 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder and up till a few days ago everything was fine. A few days ago I triedstarting the Pathfinder and got a really slow errg noise like starter tried to engage but didn't kinda like battery was dead. So I took starter and battery out and had it tested the two turned out fine. Still no success. I called the alarm company to have the alarm taken out to see if the problem was there not allowing it to have power to start. No success. Being told there is another alarm a factory alarm that needs to be disabled. So my question is: Is it possible to disable the alarm or remove it yourself. Is this the problem to to power to starter? Even tried jump starting.no good. Radio and all acc.... Works great.
  • jearagojearago Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Pathfinder w/148k miles that's suddenly hard to start. The engine always initially fires when starting, but then dies and is really hard to start. When it finally starts (20+ turns) the engine barely runs with almost no response to throttle. If I can keep it running for 30 seconds, it will rev spewing some smoke, then idle and run fine. It will also start right up again no problem. After it sits for 6+ hours same routine. It started out only occasionally (assumed bad gas/water), but now it's everytime. I've changed the plugs, air filter, added gas/injector treatment and running premium fuel w/no change. I'm guessing fuel pump, filter? But what about fuel sensors? Is there an injector pump? When I first turn the key I can hear the pump run and then stop after a few seconds.
    Would appreciate some recommendations. Thanks,
  • billazerabillazera Member Posts: 9
    I have a 98 pathfinder. About 4 monthes ago, I have problem starting after rainning day. But after it dry for a day or half day if it's windy, I can start again without doing anything. Also, anytime I start after parking there for more than a day, it start with some squeaking sound, then it went away. Maybe it's a old car.

Anyone can give me some clue?

Thank you
  • farnamdfarnamd Member Posts: 1
    My 97 pathfinder, by mistake I cut four wires under the hood of the batch of wires in front the radiotor, One blue/white, two blue /blacks and one white / purple. I got them fix. Now the car cranks fine but does not start, I checked the fuel pump and put in some Napa product fuses and relays and still got no luck. I have run out of things to check. Can anybody help me out.
  • whip_sergeonwhip_sergeon Member Posts: 1
    hello you will have to make sure your two black wires are not crossed
    to do this you will need a repair manual . some black wires are just grounds,
    but some grounds need to be in there proper circuits or the e.c.m. wont know
    what its reading. :confuse:
  • myradselfmyradself Member Posts: 2
    my 88 pathfinder has power to 3/4s of the fuses on the bottom and getting no juice to the engine or starter. Any one know if it's a short or relay of what?
  • regina75regina75 Member Posts: 1
    We started having a problem a few months ago. We replaced the battery. Then we replaced the alternator. After, still no start in the morning. Its fine if its just a couple of hours. However, leave it overnight and no start in the morning. Attach to the charger and it turns right over. Mechanic checked everything including fuses and doesn't have an answer for us. Help. thanks.
  • tootsie2tootsie2 Member Posts: 2
    My Pathfinder sounds like it wants to start but won't in morning if cold, If I wait til it warms up in afternoon it will start. Any clues? only 54,000 miles
  • myradselfmyradself Member Posts: 2
    If you live in a cold climate where the temps dip below 32 degrees, you should install an engine block heater. Also, try changing your oil to a less viscous grade. A 20/50 would be good, but check with a locale auto parts store for a definite recommendation.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I never bothered plugging my block heaters in unless the temps got down to around 10°F when I lived in cold country.

Try turning your ignition to ON for about 3 seconds before cranking and see if that helps any (idiot lights on, etc.). You may be able to hear the fuel pump "priming" the fuel injectors and that may help it crank easier.

Doesn't explain why it cranks fine in the afternoon, if it's been sitting all day.
  • tootsie2tootsie2 Member Posts: 2
    I Thanks for your input. I took it to a Nissan Dealer. It started all day for them. They left it overnight it didn't start in morning. They called and said it was the fuel injectors. They are going to replace. 300.00 ? This better be it!!!
  • baldomerobaldomero Member Posts: 1
    I have my 1995 Pathfinder parked at a cabin in upstate, NY. I was away all winter and went to start the car the other day and it didn't start (no noise). Figuring that the batt.was dead I tried jump starting it but it only clicks. I tapped as best I could on the starter but nothing still just clicks. I also realized I left it parked it in 4WD by mistake. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE. After my wife gave birth to a new baby, the car sat without being used for about 4 days. When I went to start it, the battery had plenty of power but the car would not start. After about 7 tries it started normally. It almost seems like it was not getting the fuel to start (my opinion). I spoke to the dealer and they told me that probably it was a check valve in the fuel pump that was defective and did not keep the pressure at night. The problems now happens about every 4th day. I asked the dealer what needed to be done and they told me that I would probably have to replace the fuel pump, but since my car has 38,000 miles it was not covered under warranty and that it would cost me $600! I went back and started reading the warranty for my car and it said that the car has a 60,000 powertrain warranty and that the fuel pump is covered. I went back to the dealer and told him that, he played dumb and set an appointment for me to bring the car in.
    After I left the car, he called me saying that the computer says that there is a defective key. He asked me to bring all the keys that I had to reprogram them. I did buy a key and remote from a locksmith a while ago and they programed it and it worked fine. I have only used that key probably once or twice. He told me that that key could alter the performance of the car. OK I brought it in. Today I get another call saying that the Nissan Service computer now states that the battery is bad. How can my battery be bad when it has so much juice that the car starts right up. Anyway now I am going to pick up my car and get a diagnose on the battery somewhere else. If it appears to be bad I will replace it and take it back to the dealer to continue the diagnosis. I do not know, but it seems to me that they are giving me the run around not to change the fuel pump.

Any opinions about this would be appreciated.

Oh, one last thing. I bought a K & N filter and right after I installed it, the reader on the dashboard that gives you the miles per gallon now reads an average of 14.9 mpg. Before I installed the filter, I was getting 17.2 mpg as an average. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks
  • cklaycklay Member Posts: 1
    88' Pathfinder that when I turn the ignition over it won't start, but if I let the key turn back slightly, toward me, it engages and starts. However, this is starting to not work either. Could this be switch, coil, or whole ignition issue? Or need to investigate something else?
  • superkeywordsuperkeyword Member Posts: 2
    happened to me, starting like its out of gase, but my shut down, when started for less than 5 minutes, they had to change and IPDM controller, $700 later it works great, but now im having tranny problems after they changed it supposedly
    If the IPDM controller is located inside the fuel pump and your car is less than 60,000 miles it is covered under warranty. The dealer initially wanted to charge me $600 but then I read the manual under warranties and what they cover. I contacted Nissan USA got a case opened. I went back to the dealer and they did the work for free.
  • nickjohnnickjohn Member Posts: 1
    i got a 97 pathfinder, 160000 miles, with same issues. mine left me stranded in the mountains twice after it cranked up and just died. it had a cold soak for a few hours at high altitude, and the conditions were snowy, windy, and 20 degrees. it would not start even with numerous tries. it started right up the next morning both times. let me know if you find anything out. i think im going to go to a nissan dealership and see if they can help.
  • blackprince1blackprince1 Member Posts: 1
    i have problems starting my 97 pathfinder....the engine turns but will not start right away. sometimes it starts on the first try some time i have to turn key 8 to 10 times before engine starts. I took car to nissan and they told me it was my timing belt, i changed timing belt with the same problem after, next they told me it was my fuel pump, i changed fuel pump with the same problem, changed batter , distributer cap, battery positive and neg. cable, changed starter , changed spark plugs and wires with the same problem. I have changed all these parts over the past 3 years and i still have this problem... sometimes car cuts off in traffic and i will turn keys 8 to 10 time to start. Sometimes it works fine for 3 to 4 days with no problem! I have no idea what is going on with this car..... Please help .
  • rebeccamrebeccam Member Posts: 1
    my 99 1/2 pathfinder has not died on me while in route; however, if I turn it off and try to start it again, it won't start sometimes. I called the Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation and they informed me that there was a recall on the fuel filler tube (leaking).....which could cause my car to explode! My brother is a mechanic and he believes that the problem has something to do with the fuel not getting through the engine with enough pressure....thinks its fuel related.

I will let you know if this fixes my problem. You might want to call NMAC and find out if there is a recall on your vehicle.
  • weaverdadweaverdad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 pathfinder 48k miles. Pulled to a stoplight and acted as if it was running out of gas. finally died. will start back but after a few seconds it starts to fluctuate rpms and dies. Will run the next day after sitting for a while but then does it again after running a few miles. Anyone had anything like this? Machanic says fuel pump or mass air flow sensor. Suggestions!!!!!! Please!!!!!!
  • eazye714eazye714 Member Posts: 1
    have someone check your alternators output in my 97 PF the diode in the alternator was bad allowing the battery to charge but insufficintly therefore the battery not fully charged would not crank starter when cold but would when warm
  • dferrierdferrier Member Posts: 3
    Having problems with a 2006 pathfinder error Code 2286 comes up on dash, Sometimes it wont turn over other times it justs sits quiet, all the dashboard lights come up as normal but deathly silence.. when it does start to turn over it never catches

I just removed some extra cables as it is an ex police car, I think I may have cut out a ground cable?? any ideas
  • thehurtboxthehurtbox Member Posts: 1
    Ricardo,

Did you get the problem fixed? The same thing just happened to me this weekend with my 2005 Pathfinder (~30,400 miles). First, it had trouble cranking, then the VDC light was on once it cranked. It eventually went away about ten minutes later. Then, it wouldn't start at all when I tried to re-start it two hours later. I turned off the A/C and everything else that could put extra stress on the electrical system and waited about 30 minutes. It cranked first try after that, but the 4WD was out and the differential lock display (the one situated in the RPM gauge that shows which wheels are engaged in the drivetrain) was out. I drove 30 miles home, then re-started it once I was there. Everything operated normally. I took it to the dealer yesterday, who found nothing wrong with it, except that the computer didn't recognize the key. So, they wanted to re-code the key. I'm suspecting that it's not the key, and after reading your post, as well as a few others, my feelings are stronger. Anyone else with some advice is welcome to respond!
    Yes I did. The dealer said that it was a bad valve located inside the fuel pump. To replace the fuel pump they wanted to charge me over $500! Then I read in the manual that the warranty up to the 60k miles covers the fuel pump. I called Nissan USA and opened a case and went back to the dealer. After I showed them that I had a case then they replaced the fuel pump. Now I have another problem, which probably you will also get, since it seems to be common. The fuel gauge does not work correctly and to replace it, they also have to take the gas tank down. It becomes expensive. For some reason, it seems like Nissan is now building cars that only last the lease period. I really find it ridiculous to have to take the gasoline tank down twice in a car that does not even have 60k miles. I have never heard this problem to happen to a Toyota or Honda. I guess since the Nissan Pathfinder is made in the USA, now it has the quality of Ford, Chevy and Dodge! :sick:
    My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder started to give me problems as soon as I reached 40k miles. If I left the car without using it for a couple of days, it did not start. It was a valve inside thefuel pump that needed to be replaced. The dealer did not want to do it, since it was past the 36k warranty. They wanted to charge over $500. In the manual it says that the fuel pump is covered up to 60K. I called Nissan USA and opened a case and got the car fixed. Soon after that, the fuel gauge is not working properly. Now to replace it, it is also not under warranty and the tank has to come down again. I am not the only one with the fuel gauge problem and I believe that Nissan should step up to the plate and replace all of the fuel gauges, since they only work up to 40k miles. I do not want to buy the oroginal part, since I will probably have the same problem down the road at the next 40k miles. If you have had this problem, please write to me and I will forward the complains to the CEO of Nissan USA, since it seems that if you contact anybody else, it just gets thrown into a trash can! :mad:
  • parkeradamcparkeradamc Member Posts: 4
    were you ever able to figure out your starter problem. im having the same one. when i turn the key all i get is a click. i have to turn it again and again for sometimes 5 mins or more before it will finally catch and start. i have a 94 nissan. Does anyone have any suggestions. also it has a new battery
  • kalekale Member Posts: 15
    I have 2005 pathfinder, drove to Boston on july 4th, made 2 stops on the way. at the hotel took bags out and tried to restart and qwould not start. just clikc clikc click. had it jumpstarted, checked battery, nothing wrong. cleaned the battery terminals, havent had the problem since. go figure. I also had the VDC ligh on for 5 minutes after restart.
  • lacanadiolacanadio Member Posts: 1
    This is a common problem with this vintage of PF. The wiring ages, and there's not enough juice to drive the solenoid far enough to power the starter. Hence the click, but no turnover. The solution is to insert a relay that applies battery power directly to the solenoid when activated. The activation voltage comes from the original wire to the solenoid. Sounds more complicated than it is. There are a couple of pages you can find that describe this better. Applied the fix to my PF about a month ago and have had no further problems with the starter...
  • gaitorbaitgaitorbait Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder and have problems with the oil gauge and the tach...can be sitting at a light and it will act like it will die...dealer unable to give me an answer and no codes. Now the gas gauge, I always keep my car above half a tank, and all of a sudden it stopped working, SES light comes on and all of this happens when I have to get my car e-checked and buy plates, now I cannot get my plates unless I get it fixed. This is ridiculous on a 4 year old car, I am an avid Nissan owner and drive nothing else, I have owned 30 Nissans in my life and love them, but I have to agree with the other post....now they are made in America so I guess they are going to have the same reputation that the US cars have...crap! I will be contacting Nissan Corp about the problem.
    Good Lcuk, let us know what they say. My pathfinder is made in Japan and yet have all the issues,
    may be the elctrical engineers working there are US citizens? :)
  • mikegmorettimikegmoretti Member Posts: 1
    Ooooh, sorry to tell you gatorbait, but you're Nissan is made in the good old USA. Go check your VIN and I bet the first character is between 1 and 5, which means it was made in the USA; if it's the letter J, then it was made in Japan. I bought this truck new in 05 and have had nothing but problems with it, only to find out now it was made in the USA. The USA is good at free economies and kicking international butt, but there horrible at making cars!
  • mosercmoserc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 pathfinder that needing jumping off last night. Today I put new battery in it and cranked it. It started fine. Cut it off and know it will not start and I get nothing from the switch. All acc. work and all power items work, but not trying to start. tried cranking with headlights on and will not dim, so I think starter is good any and all suggestions?????
  • medusanmedusan Member Posts: 5
    I changed the battery on my of 2005 PF and when i tried to restart it, it just clicked, spoke with my brother who is a mechanic and he told me to smack the starter motor with a lump hammer while someone tried turning the ignition - this worked ! - it was a stuck solonoid in the starter motor.

However now several months later am now getting the problem where it has failed to start twice, but if you leave it 30 minutes it starts ok. Does this sound like the valve in the fuel pump that is mentioned earlier in this thread ? - mine is now way past warranty period unfortunately.

Interestingly we also had the fuel gauge issue and had that replaced (not under warranty), and also the leaking radiator into the transmission ($6000 - fortunately Nissan USA paid this as a goodwill payment when i complained and opened a case).

Would not buy a Nissan again !!
    :sick:
    On Saturday started the SUV took to a store, no issues. coming out and trying to start, nothing but tick tick tick noise when I crank the ignition and also the guel gauge the rpm and the batter amp gauge would move for no reason with the keys OUT of th ignition. Had to jump start the car and took at to the dealrer immediately. The VDC OFF and SLIP alarm lights were steady ON the whole time.

the dealer called me today to tell me that I need new battery ($133.00) and the (+) terminal cable is corroded and needs replacement ($310.00). This is on top of $94.00 diag. Fee. What a scam! But regardless, he says that s the reason for all the weird computer games!
    I will p/u the pathy today and test it out. I declined the wire replacement and opted for a $31.00 patch cable. :sick: :sick:
  • kbzjkbzj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Pathfinder with 52000 miles and am having the same problem. The gas gauge isn't working, nor is the destination to empty reading and the service engine soon light is on. A repair shop is telling me it needs a new fuel pump $700 which is not under warranty any longer. Please forward me any info you have on getting this taken care of.
    Ricardo:
    I took mine to the dealer for gauge issues, and he had to drop the fuel tank to get to the fuel level sensor to replace it. The service engine light might be related to something else. If you are not up for an inspection, dont bother with the engine light for now. I will get you the total cost on my fuel level sensor tomorrow. IMHO, if you can reset your odometer reading every time you fill up; I would save the $700 for now, int this economy, I would put off all unnecessary expenses,
  • ant_1125ant_1125 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. it has 57 k and it wont start properly in order to start i need to press on the gas pedal for a couple of times while turning the key. Then the VDC light comes on but no SES. If any one has an idea what the problem please reply.
    Do not put more miles on it. The problem is covered by the 60k mile warranty that you have on the powertrain. Your problem is a valve located on the feul pump. Since the feul pump is covered under the 60k standard factory warranty you should have no problem. Before taking it to the dealer contact Nissan Usa warranty department and tell them about the problem so that they issue you a case #. Once you have the case #, then you go to the dealer and tell them that you want the feul pump replaced. I would also try to get the feul sensor gauge replaced since they are going to lower the feul tank anyway. This is not covered under the warranty, but since they are going to lower the tank anyway ask them to give you a brake in the price. I am trying to make them recall the feul sensor unit since there is more than enough evidence that the part will fail at about 40k miles.

Let me know how it went.
    :)
  • joseph12566joseph12566 Member Posts: 3
    I also drive a 2006 Pathfinder and I had the same problem which should be under your warranty because I took it straight to the dealership as soon as it acted up and they replaced my fuel pump and changed my whole front display with the gauges for free.Honestly when these things happen go to nissan before a mechanic because you don't want anyone to do anything that will void your warranty .
  • joseph12566joseph12566 Member Posts: 3
    take your pathfinder straight to Nissan that sound like something that would be covered by your warranty.
  • countrygirl403countrygirl403 Member Posts: 4
    Trouble started right after adding fuel. Running rough and just quit within a couple of miles. Figured it was bad fuel and knocked out fuel pump. Replaced pump, started several times, drove 30 miles and it would not start again. Removed cables, to try reset computer, replaced cables and started several times, quit again. Don't know what to try next! No codes are showing up on computer diagnostics. Any ideas?
  • badams1997badams1997 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Nickjohn. Did you ever get a resolve to the issue above. I am being told a possible corroded starter wire would cause it. I am just not sure though.
    :( Hi did you ever get any resolve for your issue. It was raining really bad a few weeks ago. I stopped at a Taco Time (my daughter wasn't done messing around in the back seat so I had her open her door, I locked the doors). When we got back out to the car it would not start. Check that all the indicators were ok. Radio, guages, and everything else was fine. I checked under the hood for any possible issues. Let it sit for a few minutes while I looked up the issue on my Blackjack. Posts were pointing to alarm system which made sense because of the senario above. I had someone help me push my Pathfinder to jump start it and ran fine all weekend. I then have been having the same issues still. I have had to park it in locations where I can roll and jump start myself. Fortunately I drive it from home to the park and ride. I was told that the iginition wires could have become corroded and I currently have my hood open and will research.
    So, the latest on this is the following. I checked up under near the starter and was very oily. I bought my Pathfinder used and has a slight oil leak issue. So, I sprayed everything down around the alternator with Starter fluid. Then blew out the sensor that appears to go directly to the starter and directly exposed to the elements. Spraying down the sensor with the canned air upside down freezes all the crap off of it. I tested to see if it would start and it would not. Then I blew it off normally to dry it out. Attempted to start again and fired right up. I took it for a spin and turned it off multiple times at different intervals. Started each time. I do believe this sensor sit right out in the front and during bad weather gets all wet and stays wet for a long time. Check the images out that I uploaded.

http://www.carspace.com/badams1997/Albums/badams1997%27s%20Album/starter_sensor_- 0008%20(Small).JPG/page/photo.html#pic
    ">link title