Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe 2009+

Comments

• nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    You must have the "original GM Card" as only $1000.00 allowed on the newer cards.
  • ragu123ragu123 Member Posts: 5
    zzsignup,

I am also going to be using my GM Card rebate for this purchase. Do you know if the sales tax is calculated based on the original negotiated price and before deducting Conquest and GM card rebates or after? I have a $4000 GM card rebate so how they calculate the sales tax would make a big difference in the OTD price.

BTW, I think your state (CA) is the only state that has a fixed Doc/Processing fee so dealers can't hide additional profit in the TT&L dollars. One of the dealers here gave me a really good deal on the Vibe but when I asked for the itemized OTD price, I discovered a $400.00 processing fee.
  • bikerscumbikerscum Member Posts: 9
    ZZ... I owe you man. Luis quoted me about $25 below invoice, + the $500 rebate. I guess I could have haggled a bit, but since my negotiations took about 8 seconds I'm happy. lol

'09 Vibe GT w/ sunroof & 5sp. auto.... $20425-$500 = $19925.

$1720 below sticker.

If you're ever out my way, the beer & lengendary Brentwood sweet corn are on me.
  • crimar30crimar30 Member Posts: 8
    Was there any trade-in involved?
    No trade in. I doubt they'd be high-fiving over my 13 MPG 160000 mile 4wd '00 Durango. I paid 35 large for that thing.... KBB trade in is about $2700. Not the best investment I ever made.
    Hahaha,
    I had one of those!!
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Sounds to me like you certainly got your money's worth out of the Durango. I truly looked hard at the 2008 Aspen version of that rig, but the mark up is just too lofty to ever get where I would want to be; then this white Vibe 2009 AWD turned my head. Looking at your moniker, I've gotta ask, what do you ride? I've got a 2007 Triumph Rocket III I bought new last year. It looks good in the garage, next to the Vibe.
    I now own a 13 MPG Nissan Titan 4X4, that sits in my driveway except for towing my boat to water somewhere, while I drive my Vibe everywhere else!
    '91 FXST/C... owned since new. Never saw a reason to change. :)

Interesting about white Vibes. I saw a white AWD & really liked it, so I asked the dealer to find a white GT with auto. Not one within 400 miles. Not sure if it's because no dealers order them, or they sell out first. I DO like that look.
    For those shopping... here's a pretty good site for actual pics of new Vibes... different trims & colors. (Unlike the Pontiac site which has things like dark black tinted windshields lol). They even have the legendary white GT. :)

Prices are way out there, but the pics are helpful.

pics
    Yes! The FXSTC is a great scooter. I bought the original 1986 version new, in FEB '86 and took delivery on Valentine's Day. I kept that bike for 8 years-- a record for me. We are enjoying our AWD Vibe. I would recommend it! The 2.4 is snappy!
  • ragu123ragu123 Member Posts: 5
    I got an Ultra White GT yesterday. :D It was the only one in the 200-mile radius of my zip code. When I used the Pontiac site to locate a GT the results showed mostly Red (about 80%), some black and the rest were liquid platinum. I don't think they are selling faster than other colors...I think dealers are not ordering as many whites as they do Reds and Blacks.

BTW, I had to settle for $250 over invoice…and a $285 Doc fee. If it wasn’t for the GM Conquest rebate and my GM Card earnings, I would be driving a Mazda3 or a Honda Civic right now. Honestly, I don’t know how GM can compete in the small car market with likes of Honda, Toyota or Mazda. :confuse:
    Many thanks, and I'll check that site. As for dealing with GM dealers, I feel that some of them could do with more rules of conduct from the factory, but with the "offshore" manufacturers ever kicking the door, I guess GM is being held hostage to some extent. I agreed to let the conquest rebate be eaten by the dealer's outrageous (documentation 1% + gouging 99%) fee. I then paid cash over my trade-in. Being a 2009 model, and thus having about a year and a half of current-year life available, I went for it. Had it been a 2008, I would have passed up the Vibe. I know that sounds like sour grapes, but it's the truth!
    Picked up my carbon grey Vibe GT from Luis today. GREAT dealer.... whole process including test drive & the final tour/instructions of the car was under an hour. Price was as agreed upon, & they matched my credit union's 5.5 APR. A brief pitch for the extended warranty & I was done.

Initial impressions.... I love this car. Very comfortable, quiet, more than enough power, well finished, cupholders/storage everywhere, more front seat leg/arm room than my Durango SLT in the same driving position.

Minor quibbles.... move the 110 outlet to the rear cabin where it'll be more useful, replace it with another 12v outlet which would be.... more useful. Include an oil pressure gauge on a GT car, the top end sound system should be a multi disk unit.

I did a lot of research before buying the Vibe, & I'm still convinced $ for $, it's the best value out there.

Do I sound happy? :)
    Not against Pontiac, or the Vibe.... just a gripe.

For God's sake put a spot SOMEWHERE on the dash, ANYWHERE, that has a smooth surface that a suction cup accessory mount will stick to!!

Not my Vibe, Durango, or Mustang GT has such a surface.

Rant over. :)
    And how about having the horn honk in addition to the lights blinking when you lock the doors with the remote! Isn't that pretty standard on most all 21st Century manufactured cars/trucks? :cry: :surprise:
  • smokiescatsmokiescat Member Posts: 7
    I believe the honk feature with keyless locking can be turned off. My Vibe has never honked when I lock remotely. While the sound is a good reminder that you have your key on the outside of the locked vehicle, it also tells passersby that you are leaving a vehicle unattended.
    A mechanic at the Pontiac dealership told me that the honk feature is not available. I have looked for info in the owners manual, and find nothing. :(
  • zzsignupzzsignup Member Posts: 6
    "You must have the "original GM Card" as only $1000.00 allowed on the newer cards."

Yeah, it's the original one. We've been charging on it since my last GM 10 years ago...

Too bad GM capped it, it's not like they're losing out, just rebating some of the merchant credit card fees, and it helps give GM some exposure when buyers are looking for new cars.

"Do you know if the sales tax is calculated based on the original negotiated price and before deducting Conquest and GM card rebates or after?"

Hey ragu123, sorry for the delayed reply, had been out of town for a little bit. Saw you already bought your Vibe, but here's the info anyway. As you probably figured out, the tax was based on the negotiated price before any rebates.

"I think your state (CA) is the only state that has a fixed Doc/Processing fee"

As much as I gripe about California being over-regulated, this was nice. I was glad I didn't have to negotiate every little fee.

"ZZ... I owe you man. If you're ever out my way, the beer & lengendary Brentwood sweet corn are on me."

Thanks bikerscum. Though I have a buddy who lives out in Concord, with gas prices as high as they are, doubt I'll get a chance to come out to Concord/Brentwood soon! Just glad to be able to help out.

Glad you like yours. Just took mine down to Las Vegas and back, pretty comfortable ride considering the heat (90+). I'm already due for the 3000 mile oil change... guess I really like driving it. Unfortunately I already got a crack on the windsheld... thanks to our wonderful bay area highways. Grrr...

Yeah, a DVD capable MP3 player would be even better, but I guess that's too much to ask for a $20k car. Agreed with you on the dash, I guess they are trying to make it stylish with the curving dash-line, but it sure makes it tough for GPS/radar detector mounting. I used a little silicon 'grip-pad' (they have them at auto parts stores) to rest my GPS on.

I know how you feel, I haven't been this happy with a purchase in a while.
  • gary_ggary_g Member Posts: 13
    "I'm already due for the 3000 mile oil change..."

- Check that 3000 mile number. The manual for my '08 Vibe says 5000 miles.
    I agree with you that the oil change should come every 3K. It's just a little assurance thing to keep one from being sorry later, you might say. :shades:

I only have 400 miles on my 09 AWD 2.4--
  • zzsignupzzsignup Member Posts: 6
    I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall the very first oil change should be around 3000 due to engine break-in.

I usually do the normal oil-change at 5000-7000, since I do mostly highway miles.
  • mywreckmywreck Member Posts: 5
    Thank heavens for that! I find it very annoying when someone locks their car and the horn honks.
    The honking can be slightly startling, but it has a value for reassurance of locking, and also in locating the car. In addition, some game-playing for amusement... :P
  • morristrmmorristrm Member Posts: 1
    Annoying. Rude. Crude. Uncivil. Should be outlawed.
  • gary_ggary_g Member Posts: 13
    "I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall the very first oil change should be around 3000 due to engine break-in."

- My manual does indeed say every 5000 miles for an '08.

I will make the 1st oil change at 5000 miles, after that I'll do evey 7000 miles.

Take care.
    "Annoying. Rude. Crude. Uncivil. Should be outlawed."

And I'll take a dozen now, thanks! ;)
  • kasjunkasjun Member Posts: 4
    although i prefer the locking to be silent many vehicles have the option of either silent or horn sounding. it can't be too hard to include that.
    on another note i would like to let anyone out there interested in the chrome clad 17 inch wheels to know they are actually not chrome but only a plastic wrapped wheel that chips easily. our vibe started peeling off after only 1500 miles and pontiac will do nothing about it. just thought i would warn anyone interested in those wheels. i don't know how they figure these are worth 650 dollars extra for plastic.
    At less than 4,000 miles and none of it on what one would call a rugged road, I have pinholes on the front spoiler (air dam). At first, I thought the pits were bugs. Upon close inspection, they are irregularly shaped specks of silver ("liquid platinum"?) paint, each with a small hinge to reveal the black elastomeric spoiler. The coating should be more resilient. I still love my Vibe GT but am disappointed.
  • rob52rob52 Member Posts: 2
    I CHANGED MY OIL ON A 2.4 ENGINE AND THE DIPSTICK READS FULL
    AT 4 QUARTS. THE 2009 VIBE MANUAL STATES THE ENGINE IS FULL AT 4.5 QUARTS. HAS ANYONE RUN INTO A SIMILIAR SITUATION? I READ ABOUT 2000 TOYOTA TRUCKS BEING SENT FROM THE FACTORY WITH
    THE WRONG DIPSTICK AND HAD TO BE REPLACED BY TOYOTA.
    Did you change the oil filter as well? Whether you did or didn't could make a difference in the oil required to reach the mark on the dipstick. I haven't changed the oil and filter yet on my 2009 Vibe AWD, so I don't have a pat answer. :confuse:
  • bones8bones8 Member Posts: 2
    Pontiac refers to the Vibe auto trans option as; 5 speed automatic with Driver Shift Control. What does Driver Shift Conrol mean. How is it different from the automatics I have driving? thanks
    The shifter is electronic. Pull it down into drive & it shifts as normal. Move the shifter to the left from there & it becomes a tap shifter... bump it forward to upshift, backward to downshift. It does not give you full manual control.... you can force a downshift, but not an upshift if the trans would not shift into that gear at that speed. In other words, you can't tap it forward 4 times & start out in fifth.
  • bones8bones8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the repsonse and understandable explanation.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Can anyone tell me if they have discovered where the cannister is on the 1.8 liter engine? I have been told it requires a "special tool" to remove the lid, but this could be nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver for all I know. I don't want to buy this car if I can't change the oil myself. Thanks.
    Some readin' material for you....

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=33835
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    If / when anyone knows where to get a hood deflector for a 2009 please post it here. Pontiac parts department does not have anything. I searched the web and could not find anything.
    Go to weathertech.com They have real good bug deflectors and EASY to Install...usually fits into existing underhood holes with no drilling. No, I don't work for them....but...they really do have excellent products.
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    The weathertech stuff looks nice, exactly what I am looking for. Unfortunately they do not have a hood deflector for the 2009 Vibe yet. The only option that I can find right now is putting 3M Scotchgard or Invsi-Mask film on the hood.
  • farmerboy71farmerboy71 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2009 Vibe in liquid platinum with the 1.8 and auto trans. I have the hubcaps in 16" and was wishing I could have got aluminum wheels but I couldn't with that package combo. Anyway, I've been searching for accessories and noticed someone on e-bay selling body moldings for a VIBE 09.
    My only other suggestion is to try EBay...type in Pontiac Vibe accessories and see if there are any available.Several suppliers advertise on that site and usually there are bug deflectors, window deflectors, etc. available. Perhaps some are availabe for the 2009 Vibe????? I know the Matrix and Vibe are supposedly "TWINS' so maybe the Matrix bug deflector might fit if available?????
    Trying a Toyota parts counter really makes sense. All Vibe and Matrix vehicles are North American, though one is Californian and the other Canadian.
  • litespeed4litespeed4 Member Posts: 11
    what kind of MPG are you guys getting on broken in, 2009 vibes? I am wondering how it compares to my 2007 with the smaller engine, auto tranny.
    I have a 2009 GT with a 2.4L DOHC engine. It's getting 29-30 mpg on the highway, driving up to 9 mph over the speed limit. City driving is generally around 23-25 mpg, far better than the EPA-rated 21 on the sticker. However, I work at home and do not commute, so there is little, if any, stop and go, bumper to bumper driving.
  • raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. In April, two days after I purchased it, I drove to Durham, NC and back to Buffalo, NY and averaged 29.97 miles to the gallon. Last week I drove to Baltimore, MD and back to Buffalo, NY and averaged 31.20 miles to the gallon. Most of both trips were on the highway, although I did drive in the cities as well. My previous vehicle was a 2005 Vibe AWD and it didn't do as well as my current vibe.
    2009 Vibe: Mine matches the window sticker, pretty much. I just crossed the 1000 mile mark.
    Genvibe.com is now working.
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    Does anyone know if the new 2.4 liter engine for the Vibe is made or designed by GM or Toyota? I am interested in the new AWD and would like to make an informed decision. Thanks.
    I was told by the dealer that the engine and transmission of my GT (equipped with the 2.4L) are made by Toyota. Also, the "Pontiac Vibe" Wikipedia entry about the latest generation Vibe has a note from an automotive blogger that the 2.4L is the same engine used on the Camry. Great engine. My GT (a non-AWD vehicle) regularly gets 23-25 mpg in the city, and the high 20s/low 30s on the highway. (depending on speed and conditions). At the same time, this engine is not shy when I need (or want) a burst of power. It is beyond me why American ingenuity cannot come up with such a great balance of economy and performance. Hope this helps.
  • raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    Both the 1.8 and 2.4 engines are made by Toyota. The 1.8 engine is used in the Corolla except for the Corolla XRS which gets the 2.4 engine, as well as the Camry. I too have the 2009 GT Vibe, and my gas mileage is about the same as smokiescat. I love the performance of the 2.4 engine (I previously owned a 2005 Vibe AWD with the 1.8 engine and was displeased with the pep and mileage, although I never had one problem with the car). Remember that you will lose about 3 MPG if you purchase the AWD model. Good luck with whatever you chose and you won't be sorry that you buy a Vibe....