Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Will the Chevy Volt Succeed?

Comments

• fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Can you buy one today? No.

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I would hazard to guess that I could go down to my local Chevy dealership and buy one. I may not be able to take delivery of one yet but I could get the ball rolling and at least make a down payment.

Anyway you asked when you could buy one and I told you.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's not get into a personal beef here over a car that you cannot yet take delivery on, OK?
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    edited June 2010
    If anyone is able to place an order for a Volt with a dealer that will actually accept an offer at MSRP or better, please identify the name, city, and state of the Dealership.

There are quite a few dealers that want to charge additional markup and I'd like us to have some options to go somewhere that won't place this restriction on folks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Free Chargers to be Provided to Electric Vehicle Buyers; Questions Answered in Live Chat at 11AM Eastern via Edmunds’ GreenCarAdvisor.com

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — June 18, 2010 — Today at 11AM Eastern Daylight Time, Edmunds’ GreenCarAdvisor.com will provide access to a free live chat about the government program that will provide free home charging stations to early buyers of new electric vehicle including the Chevy Volt, Ford Transit Connect, Nissan Leaf and Smart Fortwo.

The chat can be accessed at http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2010/06/got-questions-about-free-ev-cha- rger-program-get-answers-here.html.

General Motors is the sponsor of the chat, which will feature representatives of charger providers Coulomb Technologies and ECOtality. Coulomb was named a co-recipient of Edmunds.com’s Green Car Breakthrough Award earlier this year.

“The grants for home chargers are worth up to $2,000 per household each and in some cases the program will also help cover the cost of installation,” reported GreenCarAdvisor.com Senior Editor John O’Dell in his story at http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2010/06/federal-grant-for-free-home-ev-- chargers-expanded-by-30-million.html. “In announcing the program yesterday, the Energy Department said that half the money would come from taxpayer funds and half from private contributions.”
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    I'm not sure why they think they need to give $2000 to people to put in a charger. People would do it anyway. After all, people are spending 30k+ for a car that is just a pseudo Prius IF they don't use a charger.
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    I'm not sure you could purchase one now if you wanted to Snake. Way before the Camaro was available, there was a dealer in Texas that was taking deposits on them left and right. Customers were putting their money down about a year and a half before the Camaros went on sale. General Motors caught wind of it and busted the dealer for it. I might be mistaken...(it happens occasionally) ....LOLOL.....but I think GM pulled the dealer's franchise over it. I doubt, in light of this, dealers will sell you a Volt now.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    How can you say Prius and Volt in the same breath? :P :shades:
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I've also heard it won't be that high now that it is almost ready to sell. Also don't forget the $7500 rebate plus the free 220v charging stand to the first 2K buyers. I have also read that in a little over 6 years of ownership end up being a better deal than the Prius since even though the Prius gets about 50mpg it don't compare to the 160 estimate on the Volt. It could be possible depending on your driving habits to drive it for your lifetime and never use any gas.
    There is no denying that Volt, if it delivers on it's promise, will be as much a game-changer as the Prius was.

But with the average car price around $28-$29K, I'm just worried that a lot of people who could use the Volt for the best purposes ( short-to-mid-length city commutes) might be locked out of the chance to buy one due to the cost.

If a buyer could get one for $40K plus TTL, down payment of $2K, that leaves a whopping 60-month payment of about $808.

Then if they could refinance the loan in the spring after receiving the $7500 tax rebate and applying it to the loan balance, that still leaves a payment of $680.

That's a substantial payment in just about anyone's eyes.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    How people can get so charged up about something like this. They will pay top dollar and stand in line.

And just how much will they actually save when all is said and done?

I predict a flop but I could be wrong...
    If it "flops" it will be because of cost, not of the technology.

From everything I have read about the Volt, it's very likely to perform as advertised.

Cost never hurt the Prius, but the first Prius was about 1/2 the cost of the first Volt.

How many people want to fork out the $40K will be the only question mark.
    An electric car that needs a gasoline engine to generate electricity (and not do anything to propel the car directly) after 40 miles maximum, and there are NO questions about the technology?
    Yeah, 40,000 for a namby pamby little car! Why? To make a statement?
    Well, I guess when you put it that way....

The Volt has TESTED well in the real-world testing so far. I'm a "fan" on their FB page and read their Blogs, etc.

So I know it has performed so far the way they intend it to.

BUT - Once the rubber REALLY hits the road (actual owners in the REAL world) we will more than likely get some new problems which might not have been anticipated.

But I really expect it to do very well once off the showroom floor and onto the hiways and biways.
    Here's part of the answer from a story on Yahoo today

GM executives, including former Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, had previously indicated the Volt would be priced near $40,000.

By setting a higher price and restricting Volt production, the automaker -- now majority-owned by the U.S. government -- has taken steps to limit its losses on the plug-in vehicle.

Does anyone besides me think that GM - they are owned by US after all - is in any kind of a position where it should be making vehicles that it KNOWS are going to result in red ink? Yea, that's the ticket to turn the company around
    Hosts, can someone please "whack a SPAMMER" on that frank147 guy....Thanks...
    edited July 2010
    My thoughts exactly!

Ford is doing some great things and building some impressive much improved cars while GM is not.

Then they come out with a car they plan to lose money on?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    He's been doing the same thing over in the Mystery Car Pix forum.
  • gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    From what I've read, $41,000. is "entry level", so plan quite a bit more, probably. Then, the $7,500. rebate is "up to". How many of us will qualify for how much of that? Then the "up to" mileage is slated for 40 mpg. Not going to happen, then, in desert summers and frigid north winters, etc., etc., etc. Pretty tiny car for those prices!
    Congratulations to Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD for allowing purchasers to submit an order at MSRP!

Ordering process was extremely easy and quick.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    SPAM alert. . .
    To chew upon:

Lengthy Payback time did not deter Prius owners - doubtful if will deter Volt buyers

Some Volt Math

Today's big news is that GM will charge $41,000 MSRP for the Volt. (Question for GM: how will you keep dealers from adding a "market adjustment"?)

Assume you can get the $7,500 tax rebate, so your actual price is $35,000, plus applicable local taxes. And suppose that a comparably equipped vehicle of similar size, in a non-hybrid flavor, can be had for $25,000 (a premium compact like a VW Jetta, Volvo C30, or a Subaru Impreza).

For $8,500 premium, you get a 40mile all electric range. That represents 80% of the 16KWh battery, or about 13kWh. At 12c/kWh, if you can drive all electric, 15,000mi/year will cost you about $585. Very nice.

If your premium compact gas car gets an average of just 30mpg, 15,000mi at $3.00/gal will cost you $1,500.

Under these assumptions, best case (all electric Volt miles), you save $915/year driving the Volt. To gain back your $10,000 price premium, you will have to drive the Volt for 9.3 years, 1.3 year longer than the battery warranty.

Now suppose you can't run your Volt 100% electric, but you need to rely on the gas generator engine for just 33% of your mileage. 10,000 miles electric will cost you $390, and 5,000 miles at 40mpg (assume) will cost you $375. Running a Volt 66/33 electric/gas will cost you $765. The payback time for your $10,000 premium is now over 11.1 years, 3 years longer than the battery warranty.

My point here is that at $41,000 MSRP, the Volt is not a great deal, except for people who are passionate about not using much gasoline. In order to even come close to making sense for the average consumer, the Volt needs to be priced for a payback of about 5 years, or about $29,000 out-the-door, or $36,500 MSRP, with the $7,500 tax credit.
    Premium Gas required:

Fill 'Er Up with 93 Octane please

As we're sure you've noticed by now, General Motors has been making lots and lots of waves over the past few days announcing the pricing information (finally!) of its 2011 Chevrolet Volt. And, you also likely know that the car is capable of traveling at least 40 miles per charge without using a single drop of gasoline. But hat happens when the time comes that you need to pump some good ol' crude into the tank? You'll be using premium.

Yes, you read that right. It's premium unleaded only in GM's mostly gasoline-free automobile. It seems a bit odd that The General would force its customers into using higher-priced gasoline if there wasn't a good reason for it, especially since it doesn't seem that the engine is highly stressed – 80 horsepower from 1.4 liters isn't exactly bleeding edge.
    Premium?

That makes about as much sense as {insert your own colorful analogy here}

The gasoline engine could pretty much be replaced by a Coleman portable generator and they require premium?

Oh yea... some REALLY sharp pencils are at work on this one
    But you will be able to lease them for $350 a month on 36 months. My problem is why G.M. would pick CA. to release them to first when everyone knows they prefer foreign stuff. Give it to those in the central states that drive G.M.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    There are portions of CA that are entirely HICKSVILLE USA where you will see a lot of domestic trucks and SUV's around.

In the cities you'll see more reliable vehicles from Japan/Germany.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • peter_peter_ Member Posts: 2
    Chevy Volt will succeed. Because the technology is moving ahead. It will get some time for people to accept the the electric car. But Chevy will have to face tough competition from the other car giants for best design and speed and for compatibility.
    Relieable as in Toyota and Lexus :P :lemon: :shades:
    I agree that the Volt is a great start to a new mode of transportation. Looking forward to somewhat more powerfull electric motors and more efficient power generators, but we have to get the ball rolling somewhere.

I'm very hopfull that the Volt is a big success and that the Dealers do all they can to not impede its success.
    Said it before, many times, I'll say it again, when you can buy one, NOT LEASE one let me know.

Apparently even the Nissan Leaf is only available as a lease.
    They must have some reason for doing this?
    Both the Volt and the Leaf are available as either a purchase or a lease.
    Volt is NOT available. Apparently the Leaf is as Nissan is advertising it.
    Sorry, but Volt is available to several locations. I know a few folks that have submitted their order. They have yet to determine whether to Lease or Buy, but the vehicle is available for order.
    Big difference between "available" and "available for order".
    Hair, meet Splitter.
    Volt is NOT available.
    edited August 2010
    " Hair, meet Splitter"

Really? Don't you know the difference between being able to order something vs. being able to walk right in and drive a car home?

I can walk into my local Chevy dealer and drive home a new Malibu or I can leave a deposit on a Volt and place an order for delivery at some unknown time.

Do you understand the difference now?
    I just went to the Leaf site and they ARE NOT AVAILIBLE TO BUY no matter what the other poster thinks. You can reserve one for $99. All that gets you is a place on the list so when they do come availible you can the get one. I guess that is the same as going to your local Chevy dealer and ordering one.
    So what happens when your order is cancelled?

It happens.

Then, if they make em, lease only? It DID happen, EV-1.

Volt is NOT available. When I see em on Chevy dealer lots/the street, you win, so far........dont see em!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    i'm not sure what the point of all this is. If I want to walk in today and trade my '05 Odyssey for an '11 Odyssey...can I do that? No...but a couple months and I'm sure I can. It's not like the Volt is still in the pipe-dream stage....so YAWN

FWIW I was interested at the $30k-35k range but not $40k+.
    Oh course I "understand" the difference, I'm not a 'tard, but the point is:

What. Does. It. Matter ?

We are in the "pre-release" phase of the Volt.

What does it matter it you can order it, put down a deposit for it, or buy it sight unseen - it remains A CAR YOU CAN'T YET DRIVE OFF THE LOT BECAUSE IT'S NEW AND NOT IN THE SHOWROOM YET.

And until THAT part changes, the rest is just semantics.
    Preaching to the choir. Amen.
    I'm not the one who started this.

To me, even 30-35,000 is WAY to much for that little car!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    It's not that small (civic-ish) and at $30k with the tax credit is in the ballpark of others. Sounds like it's going to be well equipped at entry level so probably very close to a Jetta TDI which would be what I would cross-shop.
    You have to have the vision to look at the whole picture. I have a 08 HHR that I have put about 15K on give or take with 99.5% or more in the 20 mile one way club which means in two years I would have put NO gas in it. I don't have to worry about for example the email I just got from gas buddy saying they are predicting the price of gas in my area will rise about 20 to 30 cents in the next 24 hours. What they should have did was make a HHR shape of elec. car so as to get the maximun use out of it. Not only could I drive it everyday, carry passengers but stop at the lumber yard and pickup some 2 X 4's etc.
    I would also agree that providing this type of vehicle in a form that makes it a bit more flexible will go a long way towards opening up the market.

I would personally prefer it be styled more like a Focus hatchback (the upcoming model) and have a solar panel on the roof to help reduce battery draw and keep car cool when sitting in sun.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    I envision that some people will have to run the battery down on occasion so they can use the gas in the tank before it goes bad.

the main thing is to hopefully get the battery cost down and get a more attractive price point. But, one good gas shortage like the 1970s or $5+ gas prices and this car becomes much more valued.