Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tribeca vs The Outback

budrewbudrew Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Subaru
I was looking into replacing my 2002 Outback LL Bean with a 2008 Tribeca, which I absolutely love, but the one thing that I'm struggling with is the gas mileage on the Tribeca. The Outback is not great, but the Tribeca is poor. We can use the extra room though and I love the interior. And it's fun to drive!

Getting a third Outback seems like a dull idea to me, but there's no denying they are great cars for us.

Did anyone else contemplate the Tribeca and Outback and go one way or the other?

Also, are there any rumors about an Outback model revamp for 2009? Seems like the current model is several years old.

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    outack and legacy will be re-designed for the MY09 or MY10

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Actually it's MY 2010 for the Outback/Legacy and MY 2011 for the Tribeca for US models.

The Outback/Legacy just got a refresh for MY 2008, and Subaru historically does that as a mid-cycle update, which means letting it run for two years. The Tribeca got its mid-cycle refresh moved up a year because sales were so poor. So expect that to run for three years before an all-new model appears.

Having said that you can expect some "tweaking" each model year, as they always do that to keep the car fresh (and in the news).

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Cool, MY2010 will be here sometime in spring-summer of 09 which means I'll be just coming up on 100k miles at that point! :)

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't think the MPG difference is that significant given yours is already an H6, more importantly, they now are tuned for 87 octane, so your actual fuel bill will be the same.

Get the Tribeca. You only live once. Noone has ever regretted getting a car they liked TOO much. ;)
  • budrewbudrew Member Posts: 16
    Today I drove an Outback XT with the turbo and I actually preferred it to the Tribeca. I think in the end, given all things, the XT is the better car for me. The Outbacks have come a long way since 2002!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The 05 re-do took them very upscale.

Despite the fact that Subaru retreated from that upscale march, you will benefit because indeed the 05+ models improved noticeably. Even owners who trade up said the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.