Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Brake Questions

13»

Comments

• tyou08tyou08 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know how to gain access to the brake light? Does anyone have any advice to give to someone who would like to change the disc pads on the front brakes of an 08 versa for the first time? I have changed pads on a toyota, a volvo and a Subaru.

Thanks,
    tyou08
  • busman357busman357 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    '08 versa sl. no brake lights. running lights work, back up lights & four ways work. where would fuse be located. could it also be brake switch or light bulbs itself. any help, thanks in advance
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    My 2010 Versa is (believe it or not) the first vehicle I've ever owned with ABS brakes. I have a 2007 Versa as well, and I know how it behaves in winter driving. Anyone have any feedback or advice on what differences I might expect to feel in the snow this winter? (Which is coming sooner than we think)
    Does anyone knows where to get information/repair procedure, particularly on replacing disc pads, on a Versa 08 hatchback?

Thanks,
    tyou 08
  • crown5crown5 Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2010
    Have not had to replace or take mine apart yet but they are pretty much the same as other vehicles. I see the brake line connections seem quite user friendly with a screw and o ring seal I beleive.
  • cmarcus0cmarcus0 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. What did it end up being for you?
  • michelekrausmichelekraus Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2009 Versa Hatchback and a 2010 Versa Sedan. The 2009 has a horrible problem with the brakes squeaking/squealing when applied. I've had it in numerous times, they've replaced the pads, the shoes, whatever, and we still get some horrible noises when the brake is pressed. Does anyone else have this problem? Our dealer claims that it's 'extra metal' in the pads, but the 2010 doesn't do this. We've finally just accepted it, as the brakes never show any undue wear. Just noisy.
  • ginanurse11ginanurse11 Member Posts: 1
    Yes my 2008 hatchback does it also. Pulled into the dealer the other day and without even looking at my car the service tech told me I had metal on metal and needed new brake pads. I told them they were wrong its just my noisy car brakes and when he looked at it he told me I was right!!
    I have a 08 versa hatchback. When I back up and apply the brakes, it (the brake?) makes a "voming" sound, like a metal resonating at certain frequency. It only makes this kind of sound when backing up. Moving forward while brakes are applied has no problem at all. I recently had the front pads changed so that should not be the problem. I wonder if it is the rear shoe brake that is the cause of the problem. I have about 67,000 miles on the car and the rear brakes are still the originals. Any help will be appreciated.
    Can you localize the noise? Is it coming from the rear? It MIGHT be time for rear brakes. A lot depends on your driving conditions though. My 2007 Versa is over 90,000 miles on the original rear brakes at the moment, but replacing the rear pads can't be far off now
  • michelekrausmichelekraus Member Posts: 3
    This has been happening in the car since we bought it, maybe about 5000 miles in to it. And, of course, each time I take it to the dealer, it's not doing it. I think they think I'm making it up. It does seem to happen more often once the car has been driven for a while from cold. And I had the wrong date on the car, it is a 2008 model. It's got under 60,000 miles on it now. And if I had to say, the noise appears to be coming from the front of the car. We've taken it in a few times over the past few years, and had the brakes checked, but nothing conclusive comes from it.
    Thanks fro replying. The noise is coming from the rear shoe brakes. I think it is time to have them replaced too. I was reluctant to blame on the rear brakes becuause they usually last much longer than 67,000 miles. I am also wondering why it squeaks only when backing up but not when the car is moving forward.
    tyou08
    A noise (from wherever) that only happens when backing up isn't all that unusual if you think about it. Not a hard figure, but I'd bet our cars spend at LEAST 99.99% of the time they are moving going forward. And the vast majority of the times the brakes are applied is in the forward direction as well. Only makes sense that the way the rear pads wear "favor" the forward motion and that when you are backing up and apply the brakes, things might not be meshing as smooth as they do in the other direction
    Thank you again. Come to think of it, this happened to me before in my other car sometime ago. Anyway, the problem should be solved if the rear brakes are replaced. On the other hand, if you are right, which I tend to agree with you, no real damage should be done if I can just ignore the noise.
    Some automotive problems are like that... not particularly "unsafe" (although I'm careful about thinking like this about brakes), but a matter of how long can you live with the annoyance
  • peezhopeezho Member Posts: 1
    Replace all rear bulbs with heavy duty filament ones or replace them like I did with LED bulbs. They are less heat and voltage demanding. I had the same original problem. I now have 50,000 miles on my hatchback no problems incurred yet from the replacement LED's.
  • abayneh12abayneh12 Member Posts: 2
    I have the new 2012 Versa Hatchback 1.8S and the brakes gave out on me and almost felt liked they locked. Has there been any recall or defects on this models?
    On a 08 versa, can someone give me some advice as to how to reach the brake light bulb for replacement. It seems pretty difficult to get to it.
    Thanks,
    tyou08
    It's a little more complicated than most bulb replacements, but not impossible. It involves opening those little service lids to dismount the whole taillight assembly so you can get at the bulbs to replace them.

Google "versa brake light replacement procedure" and the first link (it will be obvious) in the search result will give you detailed instructions that you can print out and have at hand when the time comes. We've got 3 Versas in the family and once I noticed that those tail lights didn't look readily accessible without a "procedure", I set out to find DIY instructions. I'm really not keen of having to pay labor charges for changing a light bulb :shades:

I've been lucky so far with no bulb burnouts yet... but I'm ready when they finally do.
    Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I got the bulb already but haven't done it yet. Will try this weekend. Will also let you know how it turns out. Thanks,
    tyou08
    Check out the following video on Youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9xLbwdN1E
    This guy shows you how to dismount the brake assembly and get to the light bulb. After watching this video, it took me only 5 minutes to replace the light bulb. All credits to this guy and you. Thanks.
    tyou08