Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Civic

Comments

• pook69pook69 Member Posts: 13
    can you guys check this http://www.hudsonhonda.com/research/virtualbrochure.jsp?linkFrom=selectModel&mak- e=Honda&model=Civic%20Sedan&bodytype=any&menu=select

$19,425 for LX-S Is it reasonable? Actually I want LX but I think LX-S looks better but I haven't seen the real one yet.

pls give me an advice. I'm totally newbie for autos
  • joconnorjoconnor Member Posts: 26
    That price is MSRP, thats fine. I have the LX-S on order from Wh Plains Honda same price. You will not get anything off that now.
    no discount at all? That's bad. I hope for a little discount
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Yeah, just getting MSRP is bull!! The heck with that. I'll go elsewhere! :shades:
  • jwifferdilljwifferdill Member Posts: 13
    I just took delivery of my 09 EX last night. Managed to negotiate the price down to $19,848 so I don't think I did too bad. What a great car...can't wait to get some miles on my first Honda!
  • johnc27johnc27 Member Posts: 9
    hi jwifferdill, i have a question about the 2009 trunk. Does it have the black carpet like material inside the trunk lid ? This is used to lesson road noise and was taken away in the 2008, but it appeared in the 2006 and 2007 models. thanks !
  • jwifferdilljwifferdill Member Posts: 13
    I'm not seeing this material you speak of, but it may be that I'm not looking in the right place. The inside of my trunk lid is simply painted silver like the rest of my car. I haven't noticed an issue with road noise. The only sound issue I noticed is when one of the rear windows is rolled down without any of the others being down it makes a terrible noise and it almost sounds like a speaker is badly blown. Note to self, if having one rear window down make sure both are.
    Thanks for answering my question about the trunk. You looked in the right spot. I am glad road noise is not an issue for you. I have now seen the 2009 in the dealers lot. I do like the new silver on the trunk. The front looks the same to me. I looked at the seats and had trouble telling the difference. I am assuming they are better, perhaps less towel like, but it was hard to tell just looking in the window.
    anyone know about insurance?
    I tried to quote from Geico. it shows 1600 / 6 months
    that's too much (in my opinion)
    I'm an international student. I have driven for 6 years (in my country)
    I drive 10 miles a day, 4 days a week.
    I don't think that I should pay for it. I'd better use the bus or taxi. it's much cheaper than the insurance cost (no need to include the price of the car and tax).

I think I have no chance to own 09 civic lx-s because of the insurance. Bye Bye my car
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If you are under 25 years old, and especially if a male, rates are through the roof in this country. I have no dings on my driving record (no tickets, or wrecks that are my fault) and full coverage on my 2006 Accord 4-cyl Sedan is close to $1100 per 6 months.
    Thanks thegraduate
    Unfortunately, I'm 24 (will be 25 in Jan), male.
    I just got the New Jersey driver license yesterday.
    So it seems like I just started driving at the age of 24.
    I have never made even a scratch on my car in my 6-year-driving experince.

I expected it to be less than 1200 per 6 months. I never thought that it's gonna be that high. It's very different from my country. You know that in my country, you pay only 1000 per year for the premium full coverage and if you have an accident, you don't have to pay a buck. they will pay it all for you.

So I may go with the liability (I don't care much about accident because it's never happened to me. All I care about is car stealing. So I'll install the LoJack) and see if the fee is low enough for me.
    If you finance the car, I think the lien holder will require full coverage.
    No I'll pay cash in full. ^^
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Hmmm.....having lived in NJ for 15 years prior, I'm not sure I would have a brand new car w/o collision coverage, effectively self insuring yourself.
    I don't know much about insurance but I'll have collision coverage (2000 deducable) and comprehensive (2000 deducable). Is it too bad? Should they be 500 or 1000 deducable?
    Okay, you had suggested that you were just going to get liability (that damage you cause to others). Somebody hits you and runs, or has no insurance, it's your loss. Even if they have insurance, it would be up to you to go negotiate and collect from their insurance company.....as opposed to just having your insurance company handle it.

That lack of accident coverage strategy is okay for an older vehicle ending useful life, but is financially risky for a new vehicle.
    Hi kiawah,
    I'm trying to customize the insurance.

Detail:

Basic Personal Injury Protection Coverage - PIP Med Only PIP Primary
    Additional Personal Injury Protection Coverage - I decline this coverage
    New Jersey Tort Options - Limited Tort
    Bodily Injury Liability(BI) - $15,000 / $30,000
    Property Damage Liability(PD) - $5,000
    PIP Med Only PIP Primary - $15,000 limit medical / $2,500 deductible
    Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist - $15,000 / $30,000
    Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Property Damage - $5,000
    Medical Payments(MED) - $2,000 deductible
    Collision(COLL) - $2,000 deductible
    Emergency Road Service(ERS) - I decline this coverage
    Rental Reimbursement(RR) - I decline this coverage
    Mechanical Breakdown Insurance - I decline this coverage

This costs $1,496.20 per 6 months.
    What do you guys think about it? pls suggest
  • mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    When you turn age 25, your coverage will drop dramatically. I'm a male in my 40's and when I turned 25, my coverage dropped by half! Make sureyou contact your insurance company when you turn 25, even if your coverage is still in effect.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You might want to price out lower collision deductibles. Based on the recent IIHS low-speed crash tests, a relatively minor (6 mph) frontal impact can cost over $4000 to fix on the Civic, and even a 3 mph rear impact can cost around $800 or more:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr090408.html
    Thanks you for the information. It really helps.
    I'll go to the dealer in the near future for LX-S. :)
  • tiger72tiger72 Member Posts: 21
    Here's what I've got with Geico for my 2008 Civic LX Coupe in the middle of an urban (high auto theft/break-in) area:
    I'm 24 years old - male.
    Total Premium: $723.70 (6 months)
    Bodily Injury Liability: $100,000/$300,000
    Property Damage Liability: $100,000
    Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $100,000/$300,000
    Underinsured Motorist: $100,000/$300,000
    Comprehensive: $100 Ded.
    Collision: $1,000 Ded.

My health insurance company covers most of my health costs. I declined Rental (being under 25) and emergency help services (i'll get AAA instead)
    I
    wow that's quite cheap. how could you get that?
    How long have you been driving?
    I tried quoting with Progressive and I got a cheaper premium than Geico but it still cost about $1400 (6 months)
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Honda now lists the 09 civic Si coupe. Different grille than before.
  • tiger72tiger72 Member Posts: 21
    i've been driving since 15, so 9 years. My premium actually just went down (i just renewed last week) even lower to $701.40 for 6 months. How long have you been driving? Is your record clean?
  • mpittsmpitts Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when Edmunds will be posting the invoice prices for the '09 Civics.
    Thanks
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Hey, I've been researching the Civic pretty intensely lately, as I am very likely to be purchasing one soon. I have heard about and read posts on here about the problems with the rear control arms and eating tires. I had looked at used Civics, but that problem has me freaked out :surprise: , and was wondering if I should worry about this being a problem on the '09s. I know this is the fourth model year (already?), but I've read about 08's also having this problem. I am a Honda owner and fell in love with the new Civic, but that seemingly costly and rather widespread issue of the control arms having to be replaced scares me a lot. I am currently looking at certified used '06 and up and new '09s.
    I will be paying for this car on a student loan, and I don't really have a lot of extra money to fix major things on a new car. Any advice is greatly appreciated. You guys have been awesomely helpful in the past, and I think I need some reassurance of my decision. Thanks ;)
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Quick question. Are the steering wheel audio and cruise control lighted? I just assumed they were since my grandma's '04 Impala's steering wheel controls are, but I can't seem to find a picture with them lit up. Anyone know? Thanks!
    They are in the '07 Civic EX, for what that's worth.
  • lvtltnlvtltn Member Posts: 10
    Yes, but it is very dim
  • tib2006tib2006 Member Posts: 1
    I have looked at Hondas website showing all the 09 Civic models and I do like the restyle in the front and rear, as well as the addition of the LXS for those who don't want to cough up another 2 grand for an EX but want more equipment such as alloy wheels and a spoiler. But whats up with that wheel change on the Si? Those wheels look like they could belong on a standard issue Civic. The old ones looked better and gave the car much more visual appeal. The new ones aren't horrible looking, but if I were to get an Si I would quickly upgrade them. Of course there is a dealer installed upgrade available (that will be $1500 please), but as for me I will go elsewhere and get something I really like for less dough.
    Saw it today, just no pricing with options. I would not expect any wiggle room, just do not pay over MSRP
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Happened to see some just-off-the-truck '09 Civics last night as I was poking around some dealerships looking at used cars. IMO it's one of the mildest "refreshes" in Honda's history. The only thing that jumps out in the rear is the chrome trim over the license plate. The rear lights aren't all that much different. Ditto the front. Maybe if there were a 2008 Civic right next to it, I'd see the difference, but it looks pretty much like the same prow as before. Inside, the big change is the steering wheel, which I think came off the 2-door. One of the Civics was a medium blue--very tasteful especially in the dark under the lot lights.

The biggest change I noticed was on the sticker--it was nearly $19k for an LX AT sedan. Pretty darn close to the price of the Accord LX, considering you can get discounts on the Accord but good luck getting much of a discount on the '09 Civic.
  • robdmbrobdmb Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 2009 Civic Ex. I am really torn between the coupe and the sedan and was wondering if anyone who had faced a simliar dilemma could offer any advice. Thanks.
  • beerbaronhomerbeerbaronhomer Member Posts: 8
    The exact same dilemma. I would have ultimately loved to buy a coupe because you can get black interior and a great stereo right from the factory to play my DMB music on, robdmb.

However, the backseat was the deal-breaker as it is really not fit for humans at all. My car would be used almost exclusively as a commuter car since we use my wife's CR-V on the weekends, but I know there will be times that I would have to put people back there, or at least my daughter in her carseat. I can always upgrade the speakers at a minimal expense, and the new urban titanium metallic color looks great with the beige interior, so I will be ordering one of those as a sedan.
    I want to buy the LX but I know the stereo is not the greatest. Does anyone know
    about the Bass Speaker System that you buy from Honda and they put it in. It says it has two speakers and a amplifier. Do the two speakers make it a 6 speaker system or do the two speakers replace the 2 of the 4 speakers already there. I heard this system can solve the bad stereo issue in the LX. Any know if thats true? Does it make the stereo better and louder ? I am assuming it must help. Has anyone out there had this put in their civic ? It sounds good especially for someone like me who wants the LX but is unhappy with the stereo.
    I will not let anyone but Honda do anything with the stereo. This is all offered by Honda. Thanks.
    Hi All
    Got LX Sport on Saturday, pics posted on 8th Gen Civic. So far so good! Beautiful car.
    $19954 with fogs and splash guards.Excellent buying experience, pretty much done all online with dealer.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I really love the Civic SI coupe in the newer blueish green color they have out! New rims for 09. Very very sharp!! That car is hot! Only if I could drive a 6spd manual. I would learn for that car! I sat in it! I love it! That thing could probably really roll!

You simply cannot beat the price for that car. If I didn't want the new Accord or the new 09 TSX so bad, I would make a move on this.
    I would learn for that car! I sat in it!

You'd probably yearn for it, as well.
  • sinsdsinsd Member Posts: 46
    The dealer is ordering my future LX-S in Urban Titanium M, on Friday Oct 17. It should take up to 60 days, I am told. I am hoping the interest rates from Honda at least stay where they are. . .

There's only ONE thing I'd like to have seen on the LX-S: remote trunk. After all, they put on the trunk lid spoiler! It only makes sense.
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    I am also interested in this Bass Speaker System accessory but for the EX model. I was hoping it upgraded the car similar to the coupe's 350 watt vs the standard 160 watt. You would think the coupe's stereo would be offered in the sedan as well. Any info on if this is worth it would be great. I also want the dealer to do this at time of purchase so it's under warranty.
  • jamesholbjamesholb Member Posts: 3
    I'm ready to purchase a 2009 Civic EX-L, but before I do I'd like to know the current dealer holdback. Does anyone know? Thanks.
  • amkingamking Member Posts: 16
    www.fightingchance.com

i thought i had it in my notes somewhere from previous research, but i cant find it this second. rather than give you wrong info i recommend checking out a site like fightingchance that will have all the info you could want and some. i'm waiting for honda to offer a low apr deal again before i pull the trigger on an 09 civic. when i do i'll be purchasing the current info from fightingchance (dealer holdback, regional advertising fees (honda has some here in the southeast), etc). some people even go to the depth of trying to find invoice on the honda accessories... i wont go that far, but i'm sure you get the point.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No need to go elsewhere. Have a look at this link: Dealer Holdback.

Hope this helps!
    Does anyone know when Honda might lower its APR on loans for 2009 Civics? A SoCal dealer gave us a whopping 5.99% offer. Any rumors out there about better rates?
    After all, Honda overall sales were down 24% for September.
    Toyota is offering 0% at the moment.
    P.S. Thanks for the good info on the 2009 Civic holdbacks, by the way.
    Any opinions out there about the effectiveness of the moonroof visor? Thanks.
    Avoid it. It collects water underneath during rain, washing, etc and takes much longer to dry, meaning longer until you can use it!

Also, Honda has a built in air deflector that works well, it pops up when the roof is opened.

That, along with the better sleek styling you'll have without it make the Visor a no-go for me.
  • sinsdsinsd Member Posts: 46
    Was at a dealer browsing the new LX-S - I hadn't seen the black interior yet. I ordered a one via another dealer in my area (the only way at this point to get the color I want). They offered me INVOICE on an LX-S (with propak) right there.

Looking good for negotiating right now, as the econ falls into deep disrepair and (small) cars aren't flying off lots as they did during the gas scare.
  • swame_spswame_sp Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everybody....

Want to buy a new car to be used for commuting purpose.... i will be using it only for about 4-5 years max....
    i dont know whether to decide between civic or fit :confuse: ..... I'm looking a fuel effiicient car and a car that should give me good resale value (having that the car is neat while selling).... I'm a working single so i will be the only user of the car....

any suggestions or ideas....???????
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Anything that averages over 30 MPG should work for you, Honda Civic or Fit, Toyota Corolla or Yaris. Do your research.
    Decide what is more important to you. Are you looking for driving fun and a sporty experience, or something softer and more comfortable? Do you value interior space over a couple of extra miles per gallon? What kind of features are "must-haves" or "like-to-haves?" What role does price play?

Check out the Civic, the Fit, the Nissan Versa and Sentra, the Toyota Corolla, Yaris, or maybe even something like the Ford Focus or Mazda 3i.

There are lots of options out there. Maybe give us some ideas of what you're looking for and we'll try and help you decide, because the options are very good!