Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    If you look at history, the RAV did very well in '96, when it was the new kid on the block. People were willing to pay. Then sales started sliding when the CR-V came out in '97. I believe that '96 was the sales peak for the first gen model, and '01 for the current generation.

As I said before, time will tell if my assertion is correct that RAV sales have peaked, because it is overpriced relative to the larger CR-V and Matrix.

As far as fudging of sales numbers, my understanding, right or wrong, is that this is sometimes done in hotly contested segments. BUT it can only be done for a month or so, because ultimately the cumulative numbers have to reflect reality.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Matrix isn't bigger, it's slightly smaller.

The RAV4 has been selling well and continues to sell well. I'm not talking just one month, either. Toyota is more than happy to up-size you to a more profitable (for them) Highlander.

-juice
  • mexicalimexicali Member Posts: 2
    I have a question about the standard security system that comes with a 2002 CRV-EX. I have searched the Honda website exhaustively, and also talked with dealers and no one seems to have a straight answer.

Does one need to upgrade the remote keyless entry system which is standard, for a reasonable degree of security ? The Honda website say's there is security system add-on for $199+$105 installation = $305

However one dealer tells me that the vehicle immobilizer is standard on the CR-V. All keys have a transponder (some microchip is on it) which prevents it from being driven without a key, when someone has broken into it.

Can someone please clarify. I'm getting my CR-V soon and I need to decide on this soon.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Most
  • johncrvjohncrv Member Posts: 9
    mexicali, I also pondered about adding the security system, but ended up getting one anyway. In addition to the vehicle immobilizer, which is standard on all CRVs, the security system adds another level of security by setting the alarm off (horn sounds)whenever the door or trunk is open, glass is broken, or (I believe) when the right key is not inserted within a specific time (zero or twenty seconds). In addition a "bright" alarm light is installed next to the steering wheel, which basically can be seen easily, thus providing a "think twice effect". We like it, mainly because we travel to different towns on a constant basis due to business. It provides an additional peace of mind. Note that a hood switch is optional (an additional accessory).
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    The CR-V does come with the engine immobilizer which requires the proper key with the microchip to start the engine. For additional security, you'd would need to buy the Honda dealer-installed security system that plugs into a pre-wired harness somewhere under the dash. Once installed, if any door, rear glass or tail gate is opened other than by using the key-fob remote, then the horn will go off. There is also an option hood switch that adds the same protection for the hood. Honda unfortunately does not offer a siren kit anymore on the '02 CR-V. So you don't get the nice soft "chirp" from the siren when you arm/disarm. You can use the horn for this purpose but I find it too loud and annoying. And of course you don't get the siren when the alarm is triggered. If I'm not mistaken, if you buy the security system, it comes with 2 remotes to replace the remotes that come with the standard keyless entry. Lots of nice features on the security system such as user-selectable passive arm/lock, glass break sensor, flashing LED, etc.
    Where did they install the flashing LED? Didn't they put it on top of the steering colume cover where you can see it from either side of the car?
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Where are all those CRVs.I live in San Diego
    and they are rarer than unicorns so naturally
    they are adding $1000 to msrp plus a bunch of add on junk.
  • jquantjquant Member Posts: 10
    I installed my alarm for the '02 V. It doesn't come with extra remotes. You need to use the ones with the keyless entry. The hardest part about the installation was figuring out how to mount the alarm brain wtih the cruise control bracket as per the instructions. hparts.com has the best deals. Don't go to the dealer if you want to save some money and get to know your new car a little more.

Jonathan
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I think that window tint in the South is sort of like winter tires in the North; it is possible to live without, but once you've experienced the difference, you'll never want to go back. In southeast Texas, we consider it an A/C upgrade first, an appearance enhancer a distant second.

Isellhondas is correct, however, when he stresses the importance of getting the good stuff. My installer used Llumar film and backs their work with a lifetime warranty. This is no fly-by-night operation; this shop first opened during Gerald Ford's last year as President. We had a Civic done several years prior, and it's very likely that the tint will outlive the car. In fact, they are kept busy from the work farmed out by nearby new car dealerships. . . .
    canadiancl, yes, the flashing LED was installed on top of the steering column cover where it can be seen from either side of the car. In addition, they installed (unless I didn't see it prior to the alarm installation) a small infrared panel right behind the ignition lock (on the dashboard) to sense key presence. As mentioned by jquant, the system doesn't come with extra remotes, it is used with the existing keyless entry ones.
  • altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    I had after market leather installed through the dealership. They used a company called Classic Soft Trim and the cost was $1,800. That is more than I was told up front ($1,600) but they did a great job and I can live with the difference. (It also helps that the dealer gave me $1,000 off MSRP). I have a silver EX and the leather is very dark gray - looks black to me. The price included the door panels and it came with a three year warranty. It gives the interior a nice rich appearance that I like (also you can't beat the smell).

If you decide to go with leather I definitely recommend using a large company with a lot of experience. Ask whether their product is compatible with all the manufacturer's equipment, particularly the side air bags, and also ask whether they carry liability insurance to that effect. There was some discussion on another forum (CRVIX) about whether after market leather would interfere with the air bag sensors located in the front seats. At this point we don't know. If I had known that before I ordered the leather it may have influenced my decision.
  • tangy305tangy305 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market to buy a CRV EX and have just started shopping around. I'm looking for an EX model w/ standard EX features. I was told by dealers that they are not willing to go beyond their MSRP. Can anyone who recently bought a similar model in Southern Cal tell me what their out the door price was so I know that I have an idea of what the market dictates?

Thanx in advance.
    Since there is no siren kit for the '02 CR-V, do you beep the horn when you arm/disarm, if so, is it annoyingly loud. I found it to be very loud on our '97 (especially if the car is in a enclosed parkade), so much so that we had to buy the siren kit to get the nice soft chirp. Also, when you disarm, I believe the parking lights flash twice (and the horn beeps twice if you have enabled it). Does it only do that on the first press of the disarm/unlock button? ie. no flashing lights and horn beep on the second and subsequent press of the disarm/unlock button?

Thanks
  • angelica2angelica2 Member Posts: 30
    I have a black EX and had leather installed. The leather is a dark graphite (looks black) and it looks great; they included the door panels. Initially, they wanted to charge me $1,900 for the leather. I did my homework and found out that the after-market company charged the dealer $800.00 to $900.00 to install it; yes, they make an incredible profit on the after market upgrades. All this means is that you have a lot of room to negotiate with the dealer. A fair price for the leather would be $1,100 (make sure it's full wrap around leather and not vinyl seat backs). It's a fair price and the dealer even makes a little profit. The other item they gouge you for is the chrome rims. The price to the dealer is $400 - $600 for four rims and they will try to charge you $1,900. Remember there is always room to negotiate and they will if it means you walking out on the sale. If you can get the leather at a fair price it is worth it because it looks great and will add value to the car at re-sale time.
    canadiancl, the security system arms and disarms without any beep, chirp, or horn sound. When the remote lock button is pushed once, the lights flash, all the doors lock, and the alarm light begins to flash immediately. When the remote open button is pressed once, the lights flash, doors unlock, and the alarm light ceases to blink. No more beeps, chirps, or horn sounds to be embarrassed of. But please note that the horn sounds : a) once when the lock button on the remote is pushed twice; it does so to reinforce the idea that the car was already locked; and b) for several seconds when the panic button is pressed.
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    Can any of you provide me with pictures of the interior with leather? I'm curious how it looks and also considering a two-toned interior. I have a silver with the dark interior and was thinking of matching the gray tones of the interior with gray leather in the middle sections of the seats. I've called classic soft trim and their price was $1300 for the leather seats/door panels, $100 extra for 2-tone, and $200 for 3 way heated seat. My wife and I think the leather would really improve the looks of the interior, as any same model car i've seen with or without, seems much nicer with the leather trim.

So if either of you could post a picture on this tread, provide a link, or let me know and I'll give you my email address so you can send it to me directly.

thanks.
    But doesn't the system allow for a 2-stage unlock? ie. the driver door unlocks when the unlock button is pushed once, and then all other doors unlock when pushed a second time? Do the parking lights flash again when the UNLOCK button is pushed a second time?
    canadiancl, affirmative to all your questions. The system allows for 2-stage unlocks and lights flash during both stages.
  • altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    I don't have a digital camera so it may take me awhile to get any pictures posted. I also have to figure out how to do it. Hopefully, Angelica2 can help you out. I'll see what I can do.
  • hondafan10hondafan10 Member Posts: 1
    For a dealer in Los Angeles County try Honda World, Downey. We bought our EX Auto from Bob Mattes, Fleet/Internet Sales Mgr, on Dec 28,2001 for $21,739. Thats $1001 off MSRP. We took delivery on 01/16/2002. Don't know if you can still get that price, but it's worth a try.
  • Bob_in_VABob_in_VA Member Posts: 3
    I have ordered a CR-V EX Auto through United Buying Service (UBS) for $21,200 ($1540 under MSRP and just $165 over invoice). This buying service is available through most credit unions in the Northern VA area.
  • wyorebwyoreb Member Posts: 45
    thanks for the very informative scoop on window tinting.

in a separate post, slugline said his installer in TX used Llumar film and backed the work with a lifetime warranty. what kind of warranty did you get with your tint job?
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    thanks altoon for the response, hopefully angelica2 has a digital camera=). still plan on getting it done next week, but just wanted some pics for assurance that it'd look right in the crv.

wyoreb- I too got a warranty, lifetime against anything really; peeling, bubbling, color change etc... Only thing not covered is scratching and cuts, since that is caused by the owner/passengers.
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    I took my 02 ex for a car wash Sat.(through the washes with soft scrub cotton stuff) and watched the antenna get ripped off a Ford Excursion in front of me.

All thses care washes say to remove antennas, not responsible, etc.., so I removed the antenna rod.
    Just needed a pair of pliers and off she came.
    The black paint near the base of the rod may have been stripped off by the pliers, but better than possibly destroying the antenna. Wash finished and screwed it back on.
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Honda has a tool for removing the antenna, if one is going to be removing the antenna frequently it would probably be beneficial to purchase the tool. Couldn't be too expensive. Maybe I should retract the last statement.
    rockycow
  • lawnboy101lawnboy101 Member Posts: 4
    I traded in my wife's Saturn just over a week ago on a Cert Used 98 CR-V LX (25k miles). I got a price $500 under KBB and $800 under NADA. It was about $400 over Edmunds but I've never been able to find a car at Edmunds prices, I don't know why. Anyway, I love the damn thing and I really wish I could talk her into driving my Ranger XLT. I do not buy new cars but with the 2.9% being offered now I might have to go get myself a new one. The whole reason we bought it was because our Rottweiler can't fit comfortably in the back of a Saturn. I look forward to lots of good info on this board. I'm reading all the old posts, slowly.
    That's interesting about what you've described re: the dealer-installed alarm system. The way it works as you've described resembles the factory system on the Accord EX models. The one dealer I spoke to up here told me the system is essentially the same as the one available for the '97 - '01 CR-V except there is no siren option. Makes me wonder if the alarm system for Canadian models is different. Any Canadian '02 owners out there who bought the dealer-installed alarm who can offer some insight?
  • geneseedepotgeneseedepot Member Posts: 30
    Honda...Please, please, please bring back the SE...Oh how I envy you canadians.

imageimage
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I don't mind the black door handles or even the black side moldings, but the black bumpers really break the visual flow of the car.
  • surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    I beleive the salespeople for this car are giving it a bad name. Is it really worth it? The "sales" guy that i met thought the CRV had 200hp and assured me that the "optional equitment" that was billed on the car but not actually on the car yet was put on by Honda and they had to charge for it.
    (I know the optional equitment(hondasuv.com ) These were important upgrades though like wheel locks for the expensive and sought after basic CRV LX standard honda wheel $185 and $385 for "mud flaps" I thought rear were standard. This is my "HONDA" enviornment. believe me saturn is looking better. I live in the Wash D.C/Baltimore/Virginia area they actually got pissed off when i metion anything about less than MSRP. Ive never met this many people adept in the "deal" but don't know anything about or could demonstrate any features of the car. Its only a friggen car!!!
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I am a car nut and know more about cars than all
    the salesmen I have ever met.I think If you are
    going to try to sell something at least get a brochure and read it! Of course a lot of them cannot read.I think people go into sales because
    they have no other skills.Furthermore A good
    product does not have to be "sold",it will sell
    itself providing the price is right.That's the
    problem.Salesmen are thrown into the fray in order
    to extract more money from the buyer than necessary.Everybody hates to car shop because they
    will be surrounded by white shirted wolves trying to make a kill.Remember you are not a wounded
    animal and you can kick back or run.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The salesman is an idiot. They're all trying to make as much as possible since the CRV is such a hot selling vehicle now. You'll see all kinds of dealer add-ons and markup.
    anyone have any feedback for prices in the DC/MD/Va area?? Is msrp the "best" price i will get?? Would it be better to go to a rural dealership? I do like the car. I hope the buying experience does not ruin the feeling.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    '02 4WD EX Auto, Taffeta White, Saddle Interior. No options.

I think I did pretty good on the price. Essentially the whole transaction was done via email, phone and fax.

My car was delivered yesterday, prepped and in my hands before dinner. 6 miles on the odo.

My initial impressions: Having driven a Honda for almost 13 years, I was comfortable in the new one immediately. Switches, dials, gauges, etc. are typical Honda. Tons of room inside. Saddle interior is very nice, much better looking than in the brochure. Rear visibility is a little limited, removed rear center headrest, which helped. Vehicle seems very quiet to me (but remember I was driving a 125 hp Accord). I have the Bridgestone tires. Power seems more than adequate. Obviously I wasn't gunning the thing but I was able to get up to speed with no problems. The auto transmission shifter is a little quirky, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I just couldn't quite convince myself to get the 5 speed (maybe next time). I do find myself reaching for the shifter in between the seats like in my old Accord.

That's about all for now. Still learning and exploring. All in all I think I made a wise purchase. I hope I have as much luck with it and it perfoms as well as my beloved '89 Accord (which I will be donating).
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Even better, Honda should get the Fullmark version here with the spare tire stuffed below the picnic table. People who want the "sleek, urban look" (Honda Japan literature) are the intended customers of the Fullmark, while those who want the "active, energetic look" are the intended customers of the Performa, or US version. Fullmark could actually compete with the Highlander at $$$ less, IMO, especially since the exterior spare tire can be a dealbreaker for people who want the cleaner look.

I don't really understand how Honda makes these decisions in the US. The US being the biggest market for the CR-V, why not offer customers a wider choice? Perhaps Honda knows that regardless of what they do, the CR-V will sell anyway! I suppose offering only the Performa is making life simpler for the dealers.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I agree that the painted bumpers look better on the CR-V, mostly because the area surrounding the grille becomes body color.

Mark: let me guess, College Park Honda? Run, don't walk, to the next closest dealer. Avoid them like the plague. They have to charge for things not even on the car yet, what a joke.

Or try the UBS service mentioned above. I think there is a dealer in NoVa that participates.

-juice
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well..nevermind. I would hate to get booted after all of these years by posting a response to your last post.
  • not2hi01not2hi01 Member Posts: 9
    I've had my '02 EX A/T for about a month now. I bought it in Westminster, MD for $500 over invoice, with no added accesories. If you want my sales guys email, let me know. I found a deal in Greencastle, PA for $50 over invoice, but they had no inventory at that time and were selling for March deliveries. I've heard nothing good about the College Park dealer either.
    It's funny, the dealer in Ellicott City has at least a dozen on the lot, but won't budge under MSRP...ya know what? I hope they choke on them.
  • jheiljheil Member Posts: 30
    Picked up a '02 EX Auto yesterday. Already have 350 miles. Pleased. Very pleased. Purchased from Mark Roberts Motors (Oklahoma) and the whole experience was very easy and the dealership scored many points with me. Everything was as promised. Price was $316. + 49.50 doc fee over invoice.
  • yuclinyuclin Member Posts: 5
    If you are interested in buying in LA, I bought mine from Autoland through salesman, Robert Nomura. He did all the searching and paperwork for me, I just had to tell him the car and color I was looking for (and any add ons I might have want). Price I paid was $21,700 for a EX Auto in Satin Silver plus taxes. Like many of you I did not want to go through the dealer's games.

I also purchased the alarm through them. This is a basic DEI 415 alarm for $199.00. It works with the existing keyless entry remote and it sounds when armed or disarmed. The flashing LED was installed next to the moonroof control. It does not cover the glass windows, only the doors, and tailgate window and door.

Johncrv, did you buy yours from the dealer? How much was it? If I wanted the glass sensors it was going to be around $360.

Anjelica2, how is the clicking going on? I asked the Service Manager to test drive my car, he mentioned that yes, it is the solenoid... and that all automatic cars have this situation. According to him in an Accord or a Civic, people cannot hear it because it is located farther away (?) and in the CRV it is close to the steering column.

By the way, please anybody, my car has reached 700 miles now and is it true that my hearing has got more sensible that I can listen to the engine's rev? According to the Service Manager, everything is fine and to enjoy my car however, the first two weeks the engine was so quiet, I was amazed and now supposedly after the break in period, it has become noticeable. Is this true? Shouldn't it be reversed?

Any comments to the engine's noise is appreciated.

FYI, honda's web has a page to remind you of the services needed for your car once you register with them. It is worth seeing it. Again, oil change is recommended at 10,000 for normal conditions, and most everyone is saying to do it at 5,000 who understands this!
    not2hi01 could you let me know the email of the dealer in Westminster? beautiful country would love to take a trip. Would get my mind off the salesmen troubles and help me relax about this. I am interested in a 5-speed and all the salesmen say that the 5-speeds are rare so you better get this one but every dealer has one (looking for green) thanks for any help
    In your earlier post you said (paraphrasing) you hoped the shopping experience wouldn't sour you on the vehicle. I was right there, too. But I really thought about the vehicle and what it offered and since it was what I wanted I persevered (this sounds like a war or something, sort of was I guess). I too thought every dealer I talked to was below the lowest life form, until I found that one who was willing to sell at a reasonable price for both.

I hope it works out for you.
  • bonypartebonyparte Member Posts: 30
    I've ordered a 2002 CR-V EX Auto silver.
    I was wondering if anyone has gotten the body side cladding installed? What would be a fair price? Is it made of good quality material to last over the years? I saw a picture of a silver exterior with the cladding installed - I sort of liked it.

Also, the moonroof visor - what is a fair price? And is it really necessary to keep out wind noise? I've never had a car with a sun/moon roof, so don't know much about the noise level.
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    Is there any reason why you good people can't just WAIT until the demand for this auto subsides? Every one in line so hungry to buy is what has caused the situation to begin with!
    I had to replace a wrecked vehicle. And there's a reason people are hungry for this vehicle. Who's to say when the demand will decrease.
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    My 02-Ex has 1500 miles.
    Just noticed this the other day.
    When you shift into Park, then go into reverse and then into Drive, and proceed about 20 feet, I here a click that I think is coming from the tranny.
    This noisee only occurs if you go from park to reverse and then drive, and not when you go from Park to drive directly.
  • mam9mam9 Member Posts: 31
    that I love this little car! Sure, there are some minor things (like the hard seats), but overall I'm very pleased. She's cute, peppy, can park just about anywhere, is easy to turn, has a great radio, and is quieter than my old Toyota.

After 1700 miles the only thing that bugs me consistently is the seat. I lived in Japan for three years so I know about sitting on the floor and sleeping on the floor and the wonders of buckwheat pillows. But we're not in Japan anymore, Dorothy. I want a nice, big cushy seat for my big, cushy American behind. This seat just doesn't feel secure, and an extended amount of time becomes unfomfortable. I finally bought one of those foam dining room chair pads, about 1" thick, and have been sitting on that. (On another note, the "anti-whiplash headrest" pushes my head forward at a wierd angle. Maybe I'm deformed.)

Small cars are the greatest. Made an effortless U-turn the other day. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can throw my bike in the back and head for the river path.

Friend's husband came home with a 2002 Suburban last weekend. Parked next to Rosebud it looks like a giant polar bear crouching next to a koala! I wouldn't want it for the world. But it does have great seats...
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    From Boston to St. Augustine and back. I got in last night from a trip to St. Augustine, Florida for the 3rd Annual CR-V/MDX Scrub.

The event started at the Murray Brother's restaurant. This is a theme restaurant based on the movie "Cadyshack". Anyone who is familar with the wonders of GoongalaGoonga will understand the significance. We compared mods, ate, and distributed door prizes after taking the CR-V and MDX "quizzes". Special thanks go out to Edmunds for T-Shirts that were part of the gift giveaway. Steve from Florida won the CR-V OEM skidplate from HandAaccessories.com by scoring highest on the CR-V quiz. Keychains, a cargo net, and a leather shift knob were also part of the prize package.

Then we headed for a short and sweet off-road trip. The terrain was a golf course that is currently under construction. No, we did not drive all over the greens. We behaved and stayed out of the way of dump trucks and front loaders as they worked on the same paths we were following. I think they got a kick out of watching us. =) Weeks before, our fearless leader scoped out the location. At the time there was quite a bit of mud to play in. That had been pumped out and the the trails were rather tame by my standards. Still, it was enough to have fun.

After the golf course, we headed to beach for a little fun. The beach was hard packed sand and plenty of cars were able to get in and out. No challenge there. In another thread GatorGreg describes me as, "driving around the beach like a dog let loose from its leash".

I did tackle the dunes, but, in retrospect, this was a very bad idea. I was tempted to take them on after watching someone else fail to make it up. In brainless macho fashion, I scampered right to the top. The problem is the area is covered with a thin layer of sparse vegetation. That plantlife, as thin as it was, is the only thing stopping the dunes from blowing away in the wind or being washed into the sea. Lesson learned: Don't follow the Varmint when he does something stupid.

Those of us who stayed late had dinner in St. Augustine and debated the finer points of anything even remotely related to automobiles. There's another meet coming up in Bradford, PA. I strongly recommend it to anyone who is close enough to attend.

http://www.bucnews.com/crv/

• rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    The 5000 mile oil change is recommended for severe driving conditions ie, hot, cold, town, dusty, mountains, salty roads etc. I am personally not impressed with the Honda web page, it shows the prefered oil for the 2002 Ody and the 2002 CRV to be 5-30, your CRV owners manual, and the CRV service manual clearly list the only oil to be used is 5-20.
    rockycow
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    That you did a REAL GOOD job of hosing down the sand and salt water!!!