Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Civic

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yes but mainly Si only colors. I already posted them above. A new brown color is in the works. Teal and Orange will be Si only colors. Teal and Orange will replace Fiji Blue and Habanero Red pearl.

No LED taillamps or projector front lights.

One guy on 8thcivic said you won't be much happier with an 09 than with an 08. Might not be too many changes but USB port is still a possibility. That could require the navi/radio suppliers to update the software but thats possible since the fit navi is identical.
  • sixfootundersixfootunder Member Posts: 1
    I can't wait to see the new brown color... I love earthy tones on cars especially the brown the new Accord sedan has. Although I'm a little sad that I just bought my new civic a month ago and wished I could have waited until this fall to get the MMC but my old Insight was *literally* falling apart. :mad:

I still really love this car, my only complaint is the awful thud sound that un-insulated doors make when you shut the doors.. What's up with that? :confuse:
    Nighthawk Black is being replaced for 09. Apparently honda is going to use a new black color or bring out another one. They could just rename it. Another cool color that would never happen is the 07-08 TL-S kinetic blue pearl or the 09 TSX Vortex Blue pearl. That would look great on the 09 TSX.

There is always dynamat for insulation.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Apparently honda is going to use a new black color or bring out another one.

Sorry, I am totally lost on this one. What would a new black color look like vs. the old black color? :confuse: Black is black, isn't it, no matter what you call it? Unless you make it a Black Pearl or something like that, but then Honda has to hire Johnny Depp to do the ads for it. ;)
    Honda has more than one black color. Nighthawk black Pearl is the standard color. Could be replaced by another one. Just for 2009 and 2010. Also A pearl white possibly on the EX(L) sedans is a big possibility. Maybe Diamond White. Maybe a different name or hue.
    What is the difference in the different black colors--besides the names?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    One is probably more metallic/speckled and one is regular black.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    What are the chances of Honda re designing the dash? I know that many of you like the current space ship design, but I don't. It's the only thing keeping me from buying the Civic.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    It's really not that bad after one gets used to it, actually prefer it now to a regular looking speedo and the kids especially like it. Doubt they'd change the design mid cycle...too costly at this point. I'd look for a new dash layout with the 2011 model since the next generation is due then.

The Sandman :)
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    It's not a bad design...it could be much better. Hyundai did a great job on the re-design of the 09 Sonata dash...Honda can too!
  • jkirk2jkirk2 Member Posts: 3
    Any idea of the cost difference between an 08 EX and an 09 EX? I am planning on waiting until August/September when the 09's are out but was curious on the increase.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They are not going to announce the price until a few weeks before the release.
    No one can even guess since we don't know for sure that there will be any different standard equipment.
    People are assuming that VSA is likely, but nothing is for sure.
    No, nothing is for sure, but consider how nonsensical it would be for Honda to offer VSA as an option on the Fit and not offer it on the 2009 Civic (beyond the Si). Also consider the marketing advantage for Honda to be able to say that they are the only non-luxury marque to offer electronic stability control in every model they sell in the U.S. Plus the benefit of getting the 2009 Civic on the IIHS "Gold" list (or whatever they call it now).
  • sf_siennasf_sienna Member Posts: 13
    I was just test driving the 2008 this past weekend and noticed the same issue with the parking brake. I'm 6'3" and the parking brake stabs me right in the side of my knee. I really like the car so I'm considering wrapping the parking brake with foam in order to reduce my discomfort. The dealer couldn't believe this was an issue for me, he says he's never had one complaint about this in the past. If I knew the '09 would fix this issue I would wait but since this is already the third year of this model (is that true?) I doubt they will make this change.
  • jkirk2jkirk2 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue with the parking brake. I absolutely love the car except for that. The Accord does not have the parking brake issue. My dealer said it was a common complaint of taller men in the Civic-go figure. Maybe you could market a foam adapter :)
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Shipo,

My interest in 15 inch versus 16 inch wheels is cost/selection of low profile tires. Currently I have 16 inch low profile on my car and 16 inch normal profile tires on the van. The normal provfiles were $100/set cheaper for the same tire. Web searching a couple of years ago for very low profile tires revealed very limited, very low wear rated tires for straight replacement for stock tC tires.

You're probably right, just pay the $1950 MSRP difference, and gain the extras plus better selection, resale, and discounting.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I just did a quick spot check of a couple of different tires that were both available in the 15" and 16" sizes used by Honda. Consider the following:

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred 195/65 HR15 - 740 A B 89H - $98
    Goodyear Assurance TripleTred 205/55 HR16 - 740 A B 89H - $105

Michelin Primacy MXV4 195/65 HR15 - 620 A A 91H - $108
    Michelin Primacy MXV4 205/55 HR16 - 620 A A 91H - $123
    Michelin Primacy MXV4 205/55 VR16 - 620 A A 91V - $149

Yokohama H4S 195/65 HR15 - 500 A A 89H - $77
    Yokohama V4S 195/65 VR15 - 500 AA A 89V - $99

Like for like, the Goodyears are only $28 more per set and even the higher performing (albeit with a slightly lower treadwear rating) Michelins clock in at only $60 more for a set.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nanorapturenanorapture Member Posts: 37
    Just saw Shipo's message regarding tires and thought I would weigh in.

I just got the Yokohama H4S for my civic and they are INCREDIBLE! They are actually higher rated than the Goodyears or Michelins over on Tirerack.com which is where I got them.

they are so good I just got a set of Yoko V4S's for my girlfriends car.

Try em, you'll like em!

-Nano
  • scottimusprimescottimusprime Member Posts: 19
    I'm not a big fan of the current Civic dash (yes, yes, I know a lot of people like it... well I don't). If Honda wanted to re-design it, they could. As bimmer4me says, Hyundai just gave the Sonata a fresh new interior during its MMC so it can be done. If Honda gave the Civic an interior makeover for '09 and got rid of the gimmicky two-tiered dash, I'd be a happy camper.

With gas prices going up every day, a Civic Hybrid is becoming more and more appealing. But not with that interior!
  • gasmizrgasmizr Member Posts: 40
    I am still waiting to find out about the parking brake. I do hope the move it. I have a 1996 civic with 190K miles on it and need to replace within the next year or so. I looked at the Sonata in 2006 when it was redesigned. It was nice then but the seat bottoms were short and the dash layout was not all that great. I will have to go take a look at the 2009. For me, I look at three things when buying. The biggest is can I sit in the car comfortably. Second is VALUE for my hard earned money. Last is gas mileage. It has to be decent. From what I am seeing there is not a huge difference in real world highway gas mileage between the two. The other thing is I can get a much nicer equipped car in the Sonata without a sunroof. I have driven the Current Sonata on business trips and it rides well and handles like a typical mid size car. I will see if the 2009 is any different. I wish the SE came with the 4 and automatic since that would be my choice.

Since I keep cars until they are ready to be sold to a teenager as a first car or college student who needs basic transportation depreciation is not an issue. Cars that I have had in the past still brought in top dollar on a Sat. morning since they were all very well maintained and still ran well no matter the brand. It just gets to a point that they just do not ride like they used to and seem to get louder with age.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    My dad is in the market for the Honda Civic LX now but I told him to wait to see how the 2009 Civic looks like.

Anyone think the refresh model will be the current Japanese Honda Civic with the defined headlamps? I hope so because it looks really sporty and gives it more personality.

I also hope they keep the current LX hubcaps styling. It looks really nice (I always mistake it as alloys).
    From what I have heard then probably it wont look like the JDM civic. The Acura CSX thats canada only looks like the JDM civic. They might refresh it a little bit. Can't confirm the wheels though.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Wheelcovers are usually something that DO change with a MMC; headlights and taillamps may get tweaked, but the current design has been such a success, I wouldn't look for as drastic a change as we saw with the '03-'04 MMC for the headlights.
  • localnetlocalnet Member Posts: 3
    Hi all! I am new here and thought I would say hi, and tell you what we think of the 08 Honda Civic 2 door Coupe. We live just west of the Ann Arbor MI area, and my wife has a near 70 mile a day round trip drive to work. She was doing this in her 15 mpg 2004 Jeep Liberty, which has been a trouble free vehicle for the past 100,000 miles. I just put its first set of brakes on last week.

Like many of us, she was complaining about the cost of fuel and the direct relation it was having on her bank account, along with the cost of groceries. Gas is $4+ a gallon here right now and it just keeps going up. So, being a good husband (sarc), I surprised her two weeks ago and told her she was getting a new car, take a half day on Friday and we will pick it up. She had no clue what the Honda Civic looked like, not many 2 doors up here in the Detroit area, or the fact that she was getting a new car. She was kinda po'd about the purchase, as she wanted a say in HER new car. But sometimes drastic measures are in order, and $4+ and climbing fuel costs made this purchase justifiable in my book.

Well, I got LUCKY and she LOVES the car, she is still grinning, and still has her Jeep to boot. I found her a black 2008 Civic EX-L Coupe, loaded with auto trans, leather, navi, etc., you guys know the set up. She loves it! She likes the dash, loves the navi, huge trunk, sporty exterior and the heated seats fit her like a glove. I also added the oem fog lamps (what a ripoff $$$) and the Honda trunk liner.

Now the trunk liner, though not cheap, was worth every penny. Very nice design, with a huge lip around the edges in case something spills or breaks back there. Also, the fog lamps, still mad about that $$$$, really finish off the looks of the car. They should be a standard option on the EX's.

While at the dealer, I also had a pin stripe applied. A very fine silver and graphite dual stripe, nothing tacky. You can see it and you can't, depends on how the light hits it. It gives the car just a little extra sizzle, but nothing that makes you go huh.

And I agree with the comments regarding the parking break, my leg hits it too. I really think that this vehicle is geared more towards a smaller person, or a lady's car. The parking break is not an issue for my wife. But, she does have one complaint, and I agree, there is no BlueTooth on the navi. This should at least be an option on the navi units. I would pay to have this installed, but it only seems available on the Accord. And I don't want to go chopping the interior up to add this option. So, I found a Jabra SP5050 BT unit that clips to her visor and pairs up nicely with her iPhone. Now I just need the iPhone to do the voice recognition to auto dial and we will be all set. Should be available with the new iPhone release this June from what I have heard.

In regards to power, sure it could be a little zippier or peppy, but at what cost? I bought this car for the fuel mileage and the luxury features it actually offers. And at this price point, I don't know of any other car out there that can actually compete. I got out of the dealer with a 6 year 120,000 mile warranty and the car itself for under sticker, which was around $23,500. And while we were at the dealer, they sold a couple of these Civics while we waited for delivery. Very hard car to find with any equipment. They had to get ours out of Toledo, OH. And from what I was told by this dealer and a few others in the area, the EX-L is getting to be a rare find in the SE MI area. I was just happy to get out of there under sticker with the warranty!

But, here is the best part, and why I wanted this particular little luxury ride. My wife's first full tank of gas took her 390 miles on 8.8 gallons of gas! That works out to 44 mpg! And this is not a hybrid. She is so happy that instead of spending $100+ a week in gas, that she is now down around $40-$45 a week. This savings alone, and the small car payment a month, put this little Honda into the appreciating asset category. It is cheaper to drive with a payment than her paid for Jeep Liberty.

And she will check on the Civic dash for 09. She believes that her company makes that particular dash.

Mike
    Honda usually refreshes in the 4th model year, just like Toyota used to do. The front and rear fascia's get a somewhat different look with maybe the tail lights flipped over or something close to that. Nothing to major as it would be to cost prohibitive. But it'll still look nice. Honda seems to be going in that swoopy direction as evidenced with the new model that runs on hydrogen...a very nice look in my opinion.
    Will be real curious to see the early spy shots of the next generation Civic. Not sure if they will go back to a more traditional dash layout as I think the jury is split 50/50 over it's look and functionality. I personally like the ease of not having to take one's eyes off the road to see exactly how fast the vehicle is moving. My kids who are young drivers prefer it also. But a whole bunch of folks feel differently and I know Honda is very much aware of this fact.

Should just be a refined version of the current one. The only real major interior change could be bluetooth. Maybe a USB port on the EX/EX-L model. The fit Navi unit is capable of it so a simple software update is possible. I would like to see the EX/EX-L sedan get the Si sedan stereo with subwoofer.
  • falchon13falchon13 Member Posts: 1
    HI guys, I just signed up here and thought I'd make a quick reply. First off, i just bought a Civic Si Coupe last week, and LOVE that car. Anyways .. to the point: The parking brake is in a strange position indeed. However, look in your backseat. Do you see how the middle part of the floor has a FLAT bottom, instead of that HUMP found in almost every other car in the world? That is achieved by putting the parking break in an "odd" position. So, it is a nice little trade-off, imho.
  • tiger72tiger72 Member Posts: 21
    so far it looks like no USB port (since we already have the AUX in). An upgraded Nav unit and an EX stereo upgrade however seems possible...
    Infact they would just have to upgrade the headunit to support it. The USB unit will be in addition to the Aux input. Honda says expect this usb device to be on all models. The EX stereo will probably happen. The USB/iPod port only works with 5th generation and up iPod's. As for usb devices a certain amount will work. Nav won't likely get upgraded. Maybe bluetooth is the upgrade.
    Maybe the software and some minor components. Maybe all models very quickly.
    Should see some modest changes exterior wise. Nothing too major. No diesel though.
  • diane20diane20 Member Posts: 4
    How do you know the will add Stability control on all trims? Do you think they will add power driver seats anytime soon?
  • diane20diane20 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Shipo,

On the 2008 EX coupe, what is the effect of exchanging the 16" tires for 17" tires? Will it affect ride comfort/noise and/or fuel economy?
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Stability control is mandated by the Feds I believe in the model year 2010, so Honda is just jumping the gun a little to get all the bases covered.
    Will it affect the ride? Yes, a little, the ride will be a tad bumpier.

Will it affect the noise? That should depend more on the tires and the tread pattern than the wheel diameter.

Will it affect the comfort? That depends on whether you call a smooth ride comfortable or a ride where you can feel more of the road comfortable.

Will it affect the fuel economy? Ummm, probably not, errr, unless you move to a much wider tire.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Will it affect the fuel economy? Ummm, probably not, errr, unless you move to a much wider tire.

A larger diameter wheel/tire will always use more fuel, I believe. They require more power to get moving (think of a bicycle in low gear vs. high gear). It'll also slow you down slightly. Just moving up one size shouldn't be too big of a deal, but I'd never go past 18" on any car, since I don't want the rough ride and expensive replacement costs.
    Uhhh, are you serious? :confuse:

Changing the size of the rim should have an extremely nominal effect on mileage or speed or distance traveled per revolution. Consider the following wheel/tire combinations that come from the factory on various Civics:

Wheel ---- OEM Tire ---- Diameter
    15x6.5 -- 195/65 R15 -- 24.98031"
    16x7.0 -- 205/55 R16 -- 24.87795"
    17x7.5 -- 215/45 R17 -- 24.61811"

Okay, so maybe my math is hosed up, but I'm only seeing about 0.37" difference on the overall diameter between the largest diameter tire (interestingly enough on the smallest wheel) and the smallest diameter tire (mounted on the largest wheel).

Thoughts?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I wasn't talking about changing the tire profile, just the diameter of the wheel and tire as a whole. As you lower the sidewall profile, you correct the difference in this case. A tire with the same sidewall and a larger wheel would be obviously much more different than the numbers you provided.

When the poster said moving up to 17", they didn't say what sidewall profile size (55, 50, 45, 40, etc).

Your math is probably right (I'm not checkin' behind ya) ;).

I hope you see the point of my post now. :) Notice I said "A larger diameter wheel/tire will always use more fuel, I believe" and didn't just say bigger rim.
    My point was to simply state that larger diamter tire = increased fuel use.
    Ummm, nope, not buying. First off, nothing in what the OP asked implied that they were intending on changing the diameter of the tire, and unless otherwise stated, I believe that the OP should be given the benefit of doubt.

As for your assertion that a larger diameter tire will always use more fuel, nope, not buying that one either. In fact, an argument could be made for such a change causing fuel consumption to go down. How?

1) Your argument suggesting that it take more power to launch the vehicle doesn't wash because torque converters and clutches take up the slack, and as such, the engine really won't know the difference.
    2) Once rolling, and once the clutch(es) is/are engaged the vehicle travels further per revolution of the engine regardless of which gear the transmission is in. To a certain extent, the lower the final drive ratio, the better the fuel economy, and by putting larger diameter tires on any given car you are effectively shortening the final drive ratio.

In the end, even if the OP was to have moved from say the OEM 205/55 R16 tires to say a 205/55 R17 (of which I can only find six tires in this size on the market), the revolutions per mile would have only dropped from 832 with the 16" set to 805 with the 17" set (roughly a 3.5% change).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Your argument suggesting that it take more power to launch the vehicle doesn't wash because torque converters and clutches take up the slack, and as such, the engine really won't know the difference.

It takes more energy to get a larger diameter wheel rolling. I'm not sure where the engine will get the extra energy except from fuel.

The Civic already has a very tall gear ratio (less than 2000 rpm at 60 mph); some would say too tall for a car with such meager torque. Want to go from 60-70 MPH sometime TODAY, well you can count on the RPMs climbing. On the highway, the Civic will be doing more unlocking of the torque converter to maintain speed, if not downshifting altogether. There's a point of maximum fuel economy, and I'd wager to bet the designers of the Civic have done enough research to find it.

That being said, in theory, you are absolutely right about the larger wheel making the ratio taller. It also makes getting off the line negligibly harder.

I never said anything about the difference being big, to be fair.

Anyway, I stand by my comments, and you stand by yours. Since this has nothing to do with the arrival or features of the 2009 Civic, shall we move on?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I do think the 2009 Civic will get these changes:

1) Minor tweaks to the R18 engine to possibly increase horsepower slightly (maybe to 143 from 140 now) or widen the torque curve. We may see some minor changes to improve fuel economy, too.

2) Some minor changes to the center front dash, but the main instrument panel design used now will be retained.

3) An optional new car stereo with the ability to control iPods that use the iPod Data Connector.

4) A switch to the same headlamps and taillamps used on the JDM Civic sedan.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of automatic they'll use on the 2009 Civics. Since the 5AT unit is starting to get old in design, we can't dismiss the possibility of a new 6AT unit for improved acceleration and better highway fuel economy.
    Since the 5AT unit is starting to get old in design, we can't dismiss the possibility of a new 6AT unit for improved acceleration and better highway fuel economy.

Yes, I think we can. I'd bet my house on the fact that Honda will put a 6-speed (or any upgraded transmission) in an Acura, or even the Accord, before the low-priced Civic.
    Old design? The Civic is one of the few compact cars to offer a 5AT at all. I really don't see Honda putting money into the Civic's transmission until the next generation at the earliest. They're already out in front of the competition there.

Also, what is the source of your information on the 2009 Civic?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    A number of Honda-oriented web sites have said that there will be some changes to the mid-model change (MMC) Civic. The most obvious change will probably be switching to the larger headlights used on the JDM/Asian market Civic models, and another change could be a revised center front dash (just like what Honda did with the 1996-2000 model Civic).

Tweaking the R18 engine is also possible, though unlikely. And the more I think about it, I do think Honda may not replace the 5AT unit during the MMC until the next full-model change (FMC) in 2010 for the 2011 model year.
    Look for the current design to be possibly flipped while keeping the same sized dimensions. Honda has done this numerous times before during their mid cycle freshening. Agree that the headlamps will also be swapped for a slightly different design. Cosmetic changes are usually done with the refresh, as that's really all that's needed. Any major tweaks will come with the next generation Civic.

• vegan64vegan64 Member Posts: 1
    how is the civic on snow and ice ? My 02 toyota
    rav-4 2wd slides all over the road. Is the civic
    much better ? i'm thinking of getting the 09 civic
  • jcanaverajcanavera Member Posts: 11
    I won't drive it if the snow gets high enough that they get the plows out. That front end is so low, and with all the plastic, I can see the chunks of ice that the plows push aside breaking some of that trim. I take out the CRV instead.

Jack
  • johnbobodyjohnbobody Member Posts: 9
    Is there any risk (based on any historical patterns or otherwise) that Honda will stop offering the EX-L 4 door in the Leather with Manual combination? This seems to be a somewhat hard mix to come by. If you throw in Navi, it's been my experiace that it's impossible to find. Maybe it's just too late in the MY.
    Interestingly enough, the only EX-L 5-Speed that I've seen at any dealer around here was one with Nav as well. Go figure. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    Get it! I have an 07 EX and drove it all last winter in Wisconsin. It was the 10th snowiest year on record (so the weatherman said) and the car handled great. I've never had an issue with hitting ice chunks. On a side note I just got 37 mpg!