Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited December 2013 in Honda
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2761....

Honda CRV - V. Please continue these discussions
here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
Tagged:

Comments

• carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Not sure where you live bro but we had the highest prices in the country a month or two ago and they are now lower than they were in January. No $2/gallon anywhere in the US that I know of. What's the real deal?
  • hondabro2000hondabro2000 Member Posts: 53
    carguy,

It was $2.19 for 92 octane in Vegas the last time I was there.
    I forgot to mention that my bid of $1.36/gal for 92 octane was accepted by Priceline. I saved almost 50 cents/gal yesterday, as the price shot up to $1.85/gal.

I'm not sure what you're insinuating with the "what's the deal" question, but all I'm doing is trying to save people money. 50 cents may not seem much, but I would save more than $40/month on gas because of Priceline. I don't work for Priceline nor get any referral commission, if that's what you're thinking. I'm not too fond of Priceline's hotel reservations though, ever since they messed up my last request.
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    And they offered to save me a whopping 2 cents. They claimed the average price is $1.57 for the stations I picked but the posted price at the stations was 1.49-1.52. Might be a good deal in some places but not everywhere.
    beatfarmer,

Which city do you live in? I will research your city and see how low the prices can get.

Here's several tips that will help you save:

1) Bid as low as possible. If $1.20 fails, try $1.21, then $1.22..... That way you'll know what the lowest possible accepted price is. If your offer is rejected, it will say to try again in 24 hours, but ignore this, you can bid again by returning to the Priceline home page, then starting over.

2) Pick the 3 gas stations (in your area) which you do not frequent. That way, when your get a "maybe" as an answer, they will offer an alternate gas station that will accept your price, which may be the gas station you frequent.
    This is how I got a gas station that was less than a mile from my home. The alternate gas stations seems to change often, so even if you get the lowest prices, keep trying to get the station you prefer.

3) Pick 3 gas stations with the lowest prices.... for example, Mobil is cheaper in my area than 76, so I chose 3 Mobil stations. The lower the average price of the three stations, higher your chance is.

4) Keep trying! It took me about an hour to get the right price and preferred gas station. Once you get the hang of it, you'll know all the tricks to get the lowest price.

Sheesh, the last time I paid $1.36 for 92 octane
    was several years ago!
    gold,

Congrats. All the items, except the rear mud guards, are optional equipment.

------------
    ljk,

$750 over invoice seems kinda high for this close to a model year close out. What's the other dealer's offer? Have u checked out www.carorder.com or www.carsdirect.com? Currently, you can get $100 rebate from www.gomez.com, if you purchase with Carorder or Carsdirect.
  • tronsrtronsr Member Posts: 46
    checked out priceline and ended up getting citgo regular for 1.26/gal...regular price in melbourne,Fla. area is 1.46. thanks for the tip.
    i will try again. price was 1.46/gal. i got it for 1.26/ gal. thanks for the tip. i will use priceline to buy my gas.
  • crvwannabe1crvwannabe1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to take out the CR-V stereo? I have a disc changer and am trying to get the factory CD stereo out to wire the disc changer and can't find how it comes out. I'm sure there are hidden bolts somewhere and I've searched the internet for a diagram but haven't come up with anything. Has anyone upgraded the stereo at all. How do you get the darn thing out?
    tronsr,

Good to hear. Was 20 cents the lowest they would accept? I was able to get 35 cents off 87 octane; 30 cents off 89 oct; and 46 cents off 92 oct. I'm sure there are other tricks I'm not aware of, I'll be sure to post if I find them.
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    Hi,

You can check out the installation instructions for the Honda cassette player at:

http://www.honda-accessories.com/crv/crvcassette.pdf

It involves the same basic area and should help out.

-Trevor
  • richcatsrichcats Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your help in deciding to buy a CRV and for pricing info. I planned to replace my '91 Acura Integra with a newer model. I wasn't happy with what they'd done to the car and expressed such to the dealer. He suggested I check out the CRV. I had already done much car buying research, but began a search to see if people liked this vehicle. I found you all and have never seen such enthusiasm!

I have owned a blue CRV EX for about a week and except for trying to get used to the angle of the steering wheel and missing my moonroof (after 16 yrs. of having--may have to add), I'm very satisfied with this choice. (Other family members now think they want an SE, so keep posting your pricing info., please!

I got the car for $20,295 (w/ fees) + tax. (Kansas City area) My trade-in was the major point of contention which caused me to walk. Went back to cocky dealership, who wouldn't quote a price saying they'd just beat all others, and they said the deal wasn't matchable and wouldn't really happen. Oh, yeah?!

As to the nice Acura dealer who steered me elsewhere---he will probably be selling my mother a TL!
    I live in Baltimore. I think the problem is in when the price is updated. I tried priceline and then looked at the prices at the stations the next day. Looks like the price dropped 3-5 cents at some stations overnight.
  • mnolan770mnolan770 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am looking for something small like the Wrangler, but with some comforts for road trips. The Grand Cherokee is nice, but gas mileage is awful and I have experienced some mechanical problems with it, although it is only a '98 model. The CRV is on my shortlist. I really like the SE. I have not driven one yet, but if it is a Honda, it can't be too bad. Price is really the deciding factor, I think. carsdirect has the SE at $100 over invoice. Of course, I can add the $100 rebate from Gomez and that will put me at invoice. I have not checked with any dealers here in the Atlanta area yet (I hate dealing with salespeople). Does anyone have any "pleasant" experiences here in Atlanta that they could share or experiences with Carsdirect they would like to share?
  • crvsecrvse Member Posts: 18
    Congrats! I too purchased a Naples Gold CRV-SE in March for the wife. She loves the look, ride, features and comfort it offers. Her favorite is the ability to go from the front seat to the rear without having to get out of the vehicle. I have to admit that I like driving it more than my Accord sometimes. Hey I'm not gonna give up my Accord, no matter what!
    beatfarmer,

My offer of $1.23 was accepted by a Mobil station in Baltimore (Mobil, 400 Russell St,
    Baltimore, MD 21230). That is a savings of $.35/gal. I could probably get less than $1.23, if I tried. I don't know how you only got 2 cents off, but you probably bid too high. I randomly chose 3 gas stations (2 Mobil, 1 Shell). If you can give me your ZIP code, I can probably find a station closer to it.

Btw, if your bid price is higher than the posted price, Priceline will refund the difference. You can also get a refund on unused gas, especially useful if you purchase 50 gallons at a time.
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    mnolan770 - You'll probably find the CR-V to be a good choice. It's about the same size as your JGC. There's only a difference of 5 cu ft in cargo space between them. Though, with the CR-V, you don't have to deal with the JGC'c spare tire in back (pre 99's). Also, the CR-V has more room in the rear seats. My father has a 97 JGC and we have a friendly rivalry regarding comparisons. =)

What you'll most likely miss is the low end torque. Like many Hondas, the CR-V uses RPMs more than the gas pedal. For this reason, I recommend getting the 5 speed. It'll get up and go if you need it to, but there's a different "philosophy" to how you drive it.

Take a test drive and let us know what you think.
    Has anyone installed the cargo net for the crv?
    I'm considering getting one to keep groceries from rolling around in the back. The wife complains it's crushing everything. I saw the installation notes and noticed it required some drilling in the rear door panel. That's something I want to avoid. I would appreciate any feedback.
  • darlingcrvdarlingcrv Member Posts: 13
    I've had my Naples Gold CR-V SE for 10 days now and just love it. I find it seems to ride better now than the day I drove it off the lot. I'm at 400 miles now and read that the break in period was 600...so I guess I'm doing it right.

The more I drive my CR-V, the more I love it and the more satisfied I am with my purchase. I figured the novelty might wear off after a while, but I certainly don't see that happening any time in the near future!

We took our CR-V to a MLB game this past weekend a little over an hour from our home, and two passengers one 6' and one 6'2 were very comfortable in the back seat. No complaints of not enough room at all. In fact, they were surprised at how roomy it was for rear passengers.

I actually look forward to going to work in the a.m. just so I can drive my CR-V!
  • rbink1rbink1 Member Posts: 11
    MY LAST FIVE VEHICLES HAVE BEEN SUBARUS LEGACYS-- GREAT CARS WITH FEW COMPLAINTS. IM NOW THINKING ABOUT EITHER THE CRV OR THE FORESTER FOR MY NEXT VEHICLE. BOTH ARE IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE AND BOTH SEEM TO HAVE THEIR GOOD POINTS. I WOULD APPRECIATE IF ANY CURRENT OWNERS OF CRVS CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON WHY THEY PURCHASED THE CRV AND HOW YOU LIKE THEM SO FAR.
    Rbink1 - If you are familiar with Soobs, then the Forester may be a more natural fit. Both vehicles have their advantages. Without knowing what your preferences are, I can't really comment on pros and cons.

As for comments on the CR-V, I have many. Most start with, "I love [insert any number of traits]"
    The top ten (in no particular order) are:

Interior space
    Cargo space
    Smooth ride
    Clear view of the road
    The ability to crawl over stuff
    Reliability
    Fuel economy
    Unique features
    Comfort
    Safety

If I had to pick one word to sum it up, I'd use "flexible." It's not the champ in all categories, but it does most everything competently.

With that said, I also have a great deal of respect for the Forester. You can't go wrong with either vehicle. If you haven't already, go talk to Juice and Kens in the Soob topics. Then go get the CR-V =)
    Darlingcrv - Ah, the honeymoon period. I've had mine for nearly 30,000 miles and the feeling hasn't faded. No squeeks, no rattles, no unscheduled trips to the mechanic, and it still drives like new. It does smell a bit like my dogs, though. What can you do. ;-)

I've grown accustomed to the shortcomings and I keep finding more to be pleased with. Two weeks ago, My wife and two greyhounds made another week end trip to New Hampshire's White Mountains (a 3 hour ride). The drive was comfy for all, I got to tackle some mild off-road situations, and I shuttled people around town. I can't stop driving this car.
    Hi rbink1

Being a very recent purchaser I considered the following factors:

I purchased a consumer reports 2000 and found the CR-V to be in the price range I wanted to spend. I then found it to be also rated the BEST BUY in its category (the Forester is also rated a BEST BUY, which I'm sure you probably checked).

However, I found that the luxury items that I've always dreamed about, leather, cd, keyless entry, alloy wheels, etc. would cost me a fortune to add on in the Forester, where with the SE its all standard. For the upgrades in the Forester, I could have stepped up to a medium range Passport for the price.

Through a friends suggestion I checked out the info here on Edmunds and also found it rated highest of similar models. I read all the back posts I could find on the CR-V & Forester and found less complaints on it than the Forester, along with much more excitement from CR-V drivers.

The room inside the CRV is tremendous. I thought I would feel somewhat cramped, but that is not the case at all. The rear seats particularly are very roomy. Also, with the rear seats down, the cargo area is larger than I expected, which was an important factor to me as I purchased this vehicle for the transportation of stuff.

Some have complained about the window switches, on the dash, but I've become used to them now and it doesn't bother me at all. Any new vehicle you purchase you have to make adjustments too. I am constantly turning on the lights instead of the wipers, as with my t-bird the wiper switch was where the light switch is in the CR-V. So it's really just a matter of adjustment.

The 4-speed is rather slow in acceleration, which I am trying to get used to (my former vehicle was a V-6) but I've passed the age of racing and being a hot rod so it's a small adjustment.

I didn't purchase the vehicle with intentions of off-road driving, so that was not a factor to me.

I do love the picnic table and built in cooler area (i've also find this a great place to hide my purse & other valuable I don't want to carry). Can't wait to use it in a few weeks at a family reunion.

Resale value and longevity were probably the most crucial factors though as I plan on keeping this vehicle long past the payments I make. The Honda Accord seems to last forever and since the CR-V is basically a baby SUV looking Accord, that clinched it.

Finally, a small point and my personal opinion, I just liked the overall looks of the CR-V over the Forester.

Happy searching, let us know what you decide.
    Tamila
    varmit,

Yes it truly is a "love affair" with my new vehicle! The first night I wanted to sleep in it!My husband would have thought I was crazy! I would have been like the commercial on TV where the guy just stands outside of the garage looking at his new vehicle and the wife wonders what he is doing!

Well I won't have to contend with "dog smell" fortunately. However, I am a smoker...but I love my car so much I wouldn't dream of doing that inside it! So in a way, the car is helping my health as well! Not too many vehicles you can say that about.

What year is your CR-V varmit? Mine should be close to 3 years old by the time I rack up 30,000. My average mileage per year is about 10,000. The years on a warranty will run out before I ever reach the mileage limits.

BTW varmit...many of your posts were deciding factors in my recent "happy" purchase. Thanks so much for sharing all that you have with us!

Tamila
  • crvdccrvdc Member Posts: 9
    Advise you all to check this past Sunday's (8/20) Washington Post Car Page review of the CR-V by Warren Brown. Lots of good comments about the car and downplays the lack of acceleration. This morning Mr. Brown had an on-line chat and there was one CR-V owner who had a few things to point out. Said that during the wintertime, the heat blows directly on the accelerator pedal which makes the right foot hot and the left foot freezing cold. Also said that during heavy snow/sleet, the front window defroster doesn't work well. Anybody experience these problems?? I'll be picking up my Gold 2000 SE at the end of the month!!
  • mrbill808mrbill808 Member Posts: 14
    Im curious about what kind of gas milage all of you people with the 5-speed models are getting. The CR-V is on my short list and plan on buying before the year is out. The gas per gallon in Hawaii is currently between $1.80-85 and higher on the outer islands. Seems like one of the better rides out there for the money. Glad youre all happy with your purchases, and hope I will be very soon.
    Sounds like the owner of that CR-V didn't read their manual. Last winter was a real test for the 'V and it passed with flying colors. The defrost works well if you use it in combination with the A/C and vent in outside air (which is the defult setting when you turn the defrost on).

If you direct all of the hot air to the floor, you will feel the heat by the vent. I usually split between floor and vent or floor and defrost.
  • vidyadvidyad Member Posts: 1
    Any one had good experience in buying HONDA CRV in Austin, TX area. We are contemplating buying it here and since carorder of cardirect.com don't service Texas. We got a quote from First Texas Honda and they seem higher. Your response will be appreciated
    Vidyad - Go to www.hondasuv.com and join the forum there. There are a few owners from south and central Texas who post there and may be able to give you better dealer details than I (I'm in Boston). Specifically, I think you may get good information from George Teague and KMH (KMH visits here from time to time). Also read this month's feature on the south/central texas meet and learn the meaning of GoongalaGoonga.

MrBill88 - I have a 99 5 speed and have been recording MPG for almost a year now. My overall average (since September 99) is 25.45 MPG. The past few weeks have been consistently over 26 mpg. Now, I'll admit that I do drive like a little old lady, but my driving tends to be about 60/40 in favor of highway miles.

Crvdc - Dunno what that guy was complaining about. Maybe his feet are more sensitive than mine. The defroster is no better or worse than any other car I've driven. Maybe his previous car was especially good in that area. Good luck with the SE. I like the color you've picked.

Darlingcrv - Thanks. I've always been somewhat wary of spouting off too much. I'd hate to be responsible for talking someone into a car that they didn't like. Glad to hear that you love your CR-V, too.

My CR-V is a silver 99 EX, purchased by my wife (behind my back, I might add) as a birthday present in April of that year. It was delivered with 15 miles on it. Later that same weekend, it had over 500 miles on it. I had about 23K on the odometer when it turned one year old. Now I'm up to about 29K (time for an oil change).
    Okay forum friends, it's time for the stupid question game. Here's the question for the day:

What is the largest or longest single object that you've fit in you CR-V? =)

Surprisingly, my own answer is not "my gut". I recently fit a dozen oak and pine planks into mine. The longest was a ten foot by eight inch plank. I fit it inside the CR-V with the tailgate and glass closed by using the "bed" feature. My wife rode in the rear seat behind me (yes, I was driving). The largest object would have to be our exercise equipment. A full-sized elliptical rider machine; assembled with only the hand rails removed, but also stored in the back.
    Mine would be a Weber Gas grill we picked up 2 weeks ago. It was unassembled, the box was 4'x5'x3' approx. Laid the backseat down and we were ready to roll.
  • boo60boo60 Member Posts: 2
    Hell All

I havent been here in 5 months. I bought my CR-V in March and got a lot of helpful info here and I havent been back since. I do have a question though. I took my car in to the local Honda dealer and I inquired about getting a gas cap holder..they didnt have a clue what I was talking about. I distnctly remember reading about them 5 months ago but I don't remember which website carried it. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Leila
    I carried a 5.5hp garden tiller in the box with the back seats up! It filled the entire cargo area. I have two kids in child seats and a wife to carry so folding down the seats is not an option. Usually the wife sits in the back with the kids. Room for two child seats and an adult in the backseat, love that CR-V.
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    The gas cap holder info is at:
    http://members.xoom.com/crvix/gascap.htm

It is a part for a Civic that gets modified to work on the CRV.

-Trevor
    www.Honda-Accessories.com
  • zyz912zyz912 Member Posts: 6
    I am going to buy a Honda CR-V EX but am wondering if the warranty is too short comparing to some with 10 years/ 100000 miles? Does anybody have the experience of repairing shortly after the warranty period? I like CR-V at the first sight and want to drive it as long as possible -- hopefully problem-free. Thanks for any information!
    Are you comparing this with the KIA warranty? Go check out the KIA forum, you'll get a kick out of all the complaints. As for the CRV's warranty, the 3yr/36K I think is sufficient. With proper care and maintenance, it should last a very long time. My 96 Accord has 55K and has not had one problem. I change my own oil every 3K miles (all city driving). I leave the brakes, tune up and trans fluid to the pros.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks, crvse. I believe you are right.

Another question: Has anybody got side sport trim and rear sport trim with the CR-V? I saw one demonstration CR-V in a local dealer, and it looks kind of cool, but price is several hunderd bucks each. Would appreciate if anyone knows some cheaper place to buy this kind of accessories.
    You can purchase an extended warranty at www.warrantygold.com for around $800 for a 7 year/100K "Bumper to Bumper" warranty. $50 rebate offered by www.gomez.com.

The manufacturers offering 10 yr/100K warranty (Kia, Hyundai, and VW) all only cover "Powertrain". And we all know these cars have had more problems than just transmission....
    Isuzu offers a 10 yr/120K warranty.
    zyz912 - The sport trim is exactly that; merely trim. If you like the look of that sort of thing I'd recommend the products from Waag, Westin, or Manik (personally, I like Manik stuff best). Wander over to the CR-V IX for ideas on how to customize your CR-V. They have good reviews of different products and a forum where you can ask questions of the owners who have already installed this stuff. Oh, and it's fun.

www.hondasuv.com

Consumer Reports rated the CR-V as one of the top 5 most reliable cars sold here in the US. It's not likely that you'll need to spend as much in repairs as the warranty will cost, but I understand if you may want the extra peace of mind.

Crvse - Yeah, there's a reason why those Hyundai's and Kia's have such a long warranty. No one would buy one without it.
  • tomcat99tomcat99 Member Posts: 8
    Check out www.autodynamic.com. Goes for about $189 for both sides.
  • pablozpabloz Member Posts: 1
    Not to brag, but I have a '87 Accord LXi w/ 258,223 miles w/ only wear and tear repairs s/a brakes, cv joints, bearings, belts, etc. NO engine problems at all even w/two broken timing belts. Why buy a CR-V? I'm sure it will be an heirloom vehicle in my family. Just took delivery of a LX CR-V today (8.23.00) and expect to do as well as the earlier Accord. I had an '88 Trooper...1st engine grenaded for unknown reasons at +- 132,000. Put in a second and it seized at 245,000 for unknown reasons. Had enough after that. The Accord and Trooper were maintained by myself on almost identical and simultaneous schedules. I'm still driving the Honda 9 months after the Troopers 2nd engine died. I certainly believe my CR-V will out last the Passport...Isuzu badged Honda. The CR-V currently has 33 miles on it, 17 of which were on yesterdays test drive. Will write back in 15 years at about 275-300K miles and let you know whether or not I guessed right.
    I SUGGEST YOU CHECK OUT THE COMPLAINTS AGAINST WARRANTY GOLD IN THE FINANCE, WARRANTY INSURANCE TOPIC. THERE ARE NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS AGAINST THE ABOVE.
    Thanks for all the information you guys provided. I decide to go out and meet with a dealer this weekend. I live in Aurora, IL, if anyone happen to know a Honda dealer near Chicago who has a good reputation, pls share with me.

Thanks
  • van_metervan_meter Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any idea what changes are in
    store for the 2001 model?

thanks
  • rondansrondans Member Posts: 1
    I'm very new to Edmunds, and I'm very confused about the prices that are listed for used CRV's. For a 98 LX, Edmunds lists trade-in at $12,270 and market at $14,610. When I check prices in the used section, the lowest is $16,998 (with 55,000 miles!) and highest is $19,698 (with 12,530 miles). This info is confusing to say the least, and I'm completely in the dark about what's up.
    Then I went to the new car pricing, and found that a 2000 LX has an MSRP of $19,050 and a TMV of $18,062. Has Honda mysteriously cheapened this model (as suggested by one local dealer when I confronted him with this info) or am I missing some essential fact (like my eyesight is going)???

How does Edmunds come to pricing on used vehicles?

How could any dealr expect to sell a 2 year old used vehicle for more than the exact same model brand new?

Help !!!
    The CR-V has held it's value very well in the used car market. Depending upon where you live, the difference between new and used may only be a few hundred dollars. Edmunds (and others KBB NADA)use a formula for depreciation of value, based on age, mileage, options and to an extent, market demand. Demand for new CR-Vs is high, so prices remain high. This keeps the prices for used CR-Vs high as well. Many of the used prices you see in the paper are from dealers, who will inflate the price up as high as they can. Edmunds is a nationwide guide, and as such cannot predict regional differences in price. You can use the info from this site to aid you in bargining for the vehicle you want.

To answer your last question, they hope some sucker comes along, who hasn't been to Edmunds and doesn't know the real value, will buy it. If you don't know how much it should cost, you don't know you're getting ripped off.
    We purchased our SE from Rick Santos at Jacobs Twin Honda. Good guy.
    roadans: Demand for CRV is high especially on certain models. Dealers can't keep on the lot. I read that the average car stays on the lot for 60 days while it's 10 for the CRV (nation average). We had to wait 6 weeks for our delivery but it was worth it!
    Good luck.
  • seg1seg1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to purchase a new CRV but now concerned about wait time. Anyone familiar with dealers in the New Jersey area, specifically Monmouth and Ocean counties? Also, has anyone purchase one in that area recently - what was the wait time?
    I do have to add that pretty much all the dealers in my area use Kelly Blue Book as a used car price guide. It usually lists higher resale values for both wholesale and retail, than Edmunds..... I'm not sure why though.