Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• rodeoboyrodeoboy Member Posts: 8
    I have new Monroe Sensa-Tracs and they are excellent for my 2000 Cherokee Sport. They are actually better than the originals. I would not say they are not meant for SUVs.

The noise is in my 2000 and has been there ever since last August. One thing I found out is if I take it in to an alignment shop, they are able to quiet the noise by tightening and lubricating every part in the rear suspension, but the noise come back after a few days.

I am inclined to think the noise is from dried out bushings or leaf springs, but I got a new tip that I may need a limited slip differential additive. The noise does not seem to cause any performance problems, but you are right, it is nerve racking.
  • pit1pit1 Member Posts: 7
    thanks for the info, the reason for the sensa-tracks is the thump and clunk started right after I installed them. You're right its not affecting the performance of the car, but Im sure its screwing up something else. Im waiting for the response from fixjeep, he seems to be heading in the right direction. I also think its the axle bearings.
  • fixjeepfixjeep Member Posts: 7
    well i ended up replacing all 4 of the stiff kyb gas a justs with softer kyb g2 shocks and man its 99% better . New axles and bearings didnt help any , i left the new axle bearings and seals in of coarse, i returned the axles to my wholesale parts source.I'm getting a slight noise now only over larger bumps but it doesnt bother me like it use to.I am ordering all new bushings front and rear , I dont see anything visually wrong, i want to replace all the suspention bushings to stiffen things up a bit anyway.jeep cherokees are i believe unibodies so they amplify noises through everything.I still havent found anyone who knows what the clearance is supposed to be between the axle shaft and the axle bearing but it appears to be 2 0r 3 mm , i also have seen this clearance in alot of different c clip rear ends. seems normal to me.
    99%, thats great! I did some research, went on tire rack website they also recommend KYB gas shocks. Thanks again for getting back to us. I guess you know what i'll be doing on my long weekend.
    heres what i put on , so far so good , still getting slight noise.but definitely">link title better
    http://www.kyb.com/products/detail.php?ID=1
    did you start getting thump & clunk noise after you installed the kyb gas adjusts or before? My started right after I installed the monroes sensa-tracks. So it seems that this noise is most likley comming from the shocks.
    Does anyone recommend any particular air induction system to improve my 2000 Cherokee's gas mileage and performance? She has the excellent 4.0L engine and AW-4 transmission. She's running fine and has 91,000 miles on her, but I like the Jeep so much I would like her to breath as good as possible. Bought the Jeep brand new and have never regretted a minute of having her.

I heard the Air Raid system is good and the AEM Brute Force is good and the K&N FIPT system is good. Does anybody have one of these replacing their stock 2000 Jeep Cherokee air cleaner system? I'd like to know how they really work on a 2000 Jeep with the 4.0L engine only. I know they work differently on other mills.
    Bought jeep with noise , didnt think it was the shocks at first because i didnt find anything loose or worn in the rear.I have discovered one thing the dana rear end in the 4x4 cherokee seems tighter in the axles. my jeep has the chrysler 8.25 rear end because its 2wd.Stiffer shocks can transmit noises through a unibody like the jeep more.
    well thanks again for all this good info. Im going to change the rears for now and see if makes any difference. I just installed all four about three months ago. But I think you're correct. What I dont understand is why cant the manufactures tell us this? I wrote to Monroe a few times and they were no help!
  • cheapxjcheapxj Member Posts: 2
    Many times the squeal in the belt area is caused by the idler pully. There is permentantly lubricated bearing that does dry out and squeal. If you have a good belt properly adjusted and sure it is not slipping spray a little WD-40 on the back of the pulley and if the sound changes replace the pully as a unit or if you have the skills change just the bearing. I have done this on my own XJ my daughter and my sons. Good luck and keep JEEPIN.
  • 05jeepman05jeepman Member Posts: 12
    I have an 05 JGC with the 4.7, 5 speed tranny, 2wd. My problem is that when I go into reverse, it make a loud clunking noise like the universal joint(s) are bad. Anyone else have/had this problem, and if so, what was the cause and how did you fix it??? Thanks for any time and info on this. Just to let you know, this vehicle has only been driven on the street, and NEVER thrashed on, although I do "blow the carbon" out of it every blue moon or so. ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This may be the same problem: Knocking and squeaking noises in rear

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks for the link. Mine is different, it only does it when I go into reverse. It don't do it in Drive, nor does it do it while I'm driving, only when I go into reverse. It sounds like it is the universal joint, but with less than 30k on the odometer, I can't see it going bad. The Jeep never see's any rain, because it never rains here to speak of. I guess I'll get it lubed and tell them to make sure they get the uni joint real good. If it does it after that, I'm off to the dealer with it. Thanks for the time and info on this, it's greatly appreciated. :D
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    could be where the drive shaft goes together the splines get dry and donot move freely when you put jeep in reverse the axel will shift a smig ane pull on the splines try to lube them and go from there
    That makes sense. Thanks for the reply, I sometimes worry where there is no need to, but I would hate for it to drop while my GF was on the highway doing 80mph. I gotta crawl under there and see if I can fine the grease zerk, and give it a shot to see if it helps any. Thanks again for the time and info, it's greatly appreciated. :)
  • lopoloplayalopoloplaya Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L inline-6 with around 75K miles. It doesn't get driven very much, it sits in my driveway at home while am at school during the school year, and recently when I started it up after it had been sitting for a few weeks it started making weird noises. There is a faint clicking/rattling noise that comes from the engine, almost makes the engine sound like a diesel. Other than the noise, there are no indications that anything is wrong, the engine runs smoothly and the power delivery is good. The oil pressure does run slightly high (3/4 of the dial for the first 15 minutes or so that the car is running), but I did just have the engine oil changed, so that might account for the higher than average oil pressure. I was just wondering if anyone might have any idea as to what might be causing the noise? Thanks for the help.
  • bmanchanbmanchan Member Posts: 3
  • sielysiely Member Posts: 1
    Heres what I did on my 2002 jeep with the same engine : drain the oil, take some carb cleaner with the little tube attached and spray the cleaner up towards the oil pump pickup screen,let the crank case drain well,I added 1 quart of Riselone and topped off with 5qts of 5w-30 oil.I used a good anti siphone oil filter. I had the same proplem as you 1 year ago and never had the problem come back ! Hope I was a help !
  • lopoloplayalopoloplaya Member Posts: 2
    sounds as if you lifters are bleading down
    i would try a can of SEA FOAM in the crank case to see if will clean lifters
    or turn up radio
  • jeepinsljeepinsl Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 JGC and when backing up I hear a loud squeaking noise? It only happpens when backing up NOT when going forward. It also happens when the brakes are NOT engaged. Thoughts?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check these to see whether anything looks familiar:

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine noises

Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee Front End Noise

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks, tidester, but none of those are like what I am experiencing.
    when you reverse and just touch the brake dose it go away?
    No. In fact, it makes the noise as I am letting off of the brake as well as after I let completely off of the brake.
    ok try and put the emergancy brake on a little and see if noise goes away
  • alanlyndyalanlyndy Member Posts: 1
    My '01 JGC Laredo made the same noise, replaced the front hub bearing and the noise continued, replaced the same hub bearing again and it hasn't done it for the last 2 years. I think maybe the dealer replaced it with a new/bad part as they were footing the bill for it. Hope this helps.
  • jsimjsim Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had this problem with there jeep?When I am driving around 60mph there is a popping sound coming from the front end when I throttle to go faster then it goes away and comes back around 70ish when you start to throttle at first it only did it going up hills now it does it all the time.I climbed underneath and found the tie rod end worn I thought I solved the problem but it is still there.The drivers side boot is torn I am leaning towards that or the hub bearing.I also notice short drive shaft from the front end towards the back has end play in it.Need some advice before I start changing everything just like the jeep dealership would.....this maybe quensidental(sp)but the problem started shortly after having the dealer replace the radiator fan.......
    first what year jeep

torn boot could have ruined your axel shaft will need to replace that shaft rebuilt one is ok

drive shaft should have no play when you wiggle drive shaft look close at where it hookes up to your front axel housing if flange moves in out or up down have bad pinion berrings will need to be fixed soon
    thks tug..
    the cherokee is a 99.the boot is torn I will be taken it apart this weekend.Driveshaft there is endplay but no up and down play what so ever....I am starting to wonder if they sound is caused by a pcv valve or vacuum leak as it seeemed to happen only when you put a load on the vehicle.I havent been able to find part #s for the pcv it is cheap enough and the jeep has 120m.on it.....
    realy should not have in out play in front drive shaft eather
    look real good at front flange by punkin an the flang that goes into trans fer case

when you put load on jeep pinion move in if you have bad berings in punkin
    I will do that tug,thks.......I was under the jeep last night and now i found another problem,hope to hell this is the original problem.The pinion shaft coming out of the rear diff.is totally loose it has unbelievable amount of up and down movement.I went to jeep dealership and ordered a seal and crush spacer.I am going to see if this tightens it up.I am scared ...... less that there maybe alot of damage in the rear end.I will post next week after vacation how it turned out,if that was the problem and it was transferring to the front.Then I will do the boot on the front axle after checking the bearing and hopefully the jeep will be as good as new.Price for a new rear end in canada is 3750...lol from the dealership that is not installed
    hey gooo did you ever find what the problem was?Mine is doing the samething.Only when accelerating
    have all the spec on install of crush sleave and such?
  • justinlamb82justinlamb82 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2003 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0l. when put into reverse regardless of appling brakes or not the truck makes a very very loud squeek also. i have traced it to the transmisssion or transfer case, but cannot figure out what it is. it drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!
    Have you taken it to a transmission shop to get an estimate for repairs? I want it fixed! I am tired of people looking at me while my car squeaks as I back up!
  • justinlamb82justinlamb82 Member Posts: 3
    I took it to my local jeep dealer to see if they could figure it out and they shrugged their shoulders and said they would have to tear it apart and try to figure out what it could be. they were clueless about the noise. i posted a forum on here back a few months ago and got no responces from anyone, so now there are two of us with this problem. sorry i have no info for you. i changed my u-joints and it stopped for a week and a half and then started doing it again????
    I would not think it is the trans or transfer some where in the u joints area
  • 99jeep99jeep Member Posts: 2
    yes...job done those crap toyo bearing were gone.put in timkins........now my problem with the popping is coming from my transfer case,I disconnected the drive line to the front end,quite now but two wheel drive.Looking for a new used transfer case....thks for your help.
  • greenhillsgreenhills Member Posts: 1
    hi 2000 jeep cherokee sport 95,ooo engine light on.misfire in cyl 3.changed spark plugs, clened throttle body still runs rough.
  • mac6102mac6102 Member Posts: 3
    I have a two wheel drive 98 Jeep grand cherokee and I am experiencing a whining noise coming from the engine area. Once I reach around 35mph it becomes louder. As soon as I put the car in nuetral it goes away. The noise cant be heard while pressing on the gas in park or neutral either. Can anyone help??
    when was the last time you changed the tranmession oil and filter sounds like you are not getting the right amount of oil to the overdrive unit in the tourque converter or filter partley pluged ans starving pump in trans
  • john1954john1954 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have just bought a GC and finding a rumble from the rear at over 70mph and on very hard acceleration.

Is this a usual problem and solvable?

Is it my auto box or prop shaft?

Really worried as I love this car.
  • john1954john1954 Member Posts: 2
  • mac6102mac6102 Member Posts: 3
    It sounds like that could be the problem, when I turn off the overdrive the noise stops, so I guess a transmission service is probably needed?
  • ssmssm Member Posts: 4
    driver front wheel has a clicking noise when moving. Is this a u-joint or hub problem?
  • mheitmheit Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee that has a popping noise in the front end when turning. I have replaced all tie-rod ends, both bearing hubs, both axle joints, both break drums, replaced all ball joints, and replaced the steering box. And have not found the problem yet, anyone have any ideas???