Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

12345679»

Comments

• ronc46ronc46 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    My Jeep is making a loud whining noise. Sounds like it's coming from the power steering area. I noticed it's really loud when it's cold outside. As soon as I start it up, there it goes and does not stop. The noise does dissipate when it's idle, but it's still there as soon as I give it some gas. Sounds like a fire truck siren. When it's warm outside, i can barely hear anything. Can someone please help? It does get louder when turn the steering wheel left and right.
  • takbtakb Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    My Jeep Grand Cherokee 2006 5.7L hemi makes a noise sounding like it comes from the passenger front wheel area. The sound is only heard during colder temps (-5-10c or colder) ,,, never during hot weather. The sound also only happens when turning fairly hard left power on type turn as the weight shifts towards that axle seems to be when it is more pronounced. The noise is kind of between a sssh-sssh-sssh-sssh and a zzzz-zzzz-zzzz-zzzz. The noise has been there since i bought the jeep in 2007 with 40000km on it. I brought it in numerous time to have it rectified under warranty but it still does it (during cold weather only) In the past 4-5 years they have rebilt the transfer case, rebuilt the front differential, switch tires and rims,,, still doing it. My warranty is now at its end so its at the dealers today again hoping they will find it before it expires (on a test drive, shop forman is now saying it may be a driveshaft hanger bearing (if this model has one ,,, ha wasnt sure) It sounded to me more of a bearing or cv joint related issue but dealer does not seem to think so. noise is also definitely in relation to the speed of the vehicle. Any ideas out there?
  • lancestlancest Member Posts: 1
    Hello-
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee (2WD/6-Cylinder) with 211k miles. I take really good care of my vehicle with all the proper maintenance and repairs. Lately, I noticed a whining sound coming from the left side of my vehicle. It starts when I accelerate over 35mph and goes away when driving faster than 65 mph. Before I take it into the shop, I wanted to see if anyone had the same issue.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
  • huntfishhuntfish Member Posts: 1
    My creak is by the gas pedal
  • bondufbonduf Member Posts: 2
    I also have the same vehicle and it's making that same noise, but mine not only happened this past summer when the A/C was on but is doing it now, as it has been frigid this past week, as soon as I open the door and then stops when I turn over the engine.
    Did you get a response or find out what may have been causing this and how to fix it?
    Thanks.
  • fletcherousfletcherous Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited and the AC/Heat just started only blowing cold air on the passenger side, Now there is a sporatic clicking noise from the dash that comes and goes, even with the keys out of the ignition.
  • bondufbonduf Member Posts: 2
    I read on another Jeep troubleshooting website of a similar issue and someone had suggested to have the relay's (I guess fuses) looked at. In particular, 5 & 8. They are 15 amp mini's. I haven't had a chance to have mine looked at, but that's what I'll have the mechanic check first.
    Good Luck.
  • gus_spartagus_sparta Member Posts: 1
    So to make a long story short, I bought the Jeep for $2400, drove it back to my wife, she hugged me, I kissed her, we laughed, cried, etc.

It ran great for about 5 days. It had 95,000 miles on it.

Then it started stalling. I had the O2 censors replaced. Twice. Then other sensors went out. Found out the 1st mechanic put the wrong ones in.

Then, the wheel starts wobbleing if I hit a bump or hit my brakes too hard.

So I find out from a friend of mine that that is a common problem that can be fixed for about $250.

Overall... for all the trouble this Jeep has, I still LOVE IT.
  • dar75dar75 Member Posts: 2
    try the driveshaft, only takes a few to take out, i replaced a lot of parts, sound is there but gets louder when giving gas, sounds like its screamin, hope this helps
  • dar75dar75 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 grand jeep cherokee limited, ddriving fine turned off in driveway, wouldnt lock, so tried to start, nothing no noise, no crank, dead,no lights, nothing, waited a few, now its fine like nothing happend?????? ihave replaced countless things and iam running out of cash and patience, please if any one has a clue would be greatly apperciated, sounds like crank sensor, doesnt match all symptoms thp
  • mom32211mom32211 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Just bought a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Noticed when I make an "L" shaped tight radius turn, while braking, that it makes a "thud, thud, thud" noise. Also, not sure if I hear a "scraping noise" while going straight. Noticing a small leak under passenger side on driveway. Driver seat is loose to make me feel like I'm not controlling the car. Been suggested that the callipers are doing something they are not supposed to. Any other suggestions or similar problems?
  • nberkshirenberkshire Member Posts: 1
    Won't that destroy the VC?
  • yatesrulesyatesrules Member Posts: 1
    roaring noise under my jeep it quits down when i get faster whats wrong
  • dutedute2dutedute2 Member Posts: 1
    Alright so I tried to find something similar but I couldn't find exactly the same problem. My car has the bumpy road and esp bas light on.
    I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2006 Overland 4x4. For awhile now, whenever I start my car and start moving, especially when turning, my car will make a number of loud banging noises in succession, enough to move the car slightly. After I straighten out the car the last bang usually being the hardest, it stops and I can drive off and it's perfectly fine. I'm figuring it has something to do with the car trying to automatically engage 4wd in some way, although aside from that I'm not really sure how to proceed. I don't know much about cars so forgive me if I'm not giving the proper info, but if anyone knows what's going on I would greatly appreciate the help.
    If there's some way to just disengage the 4wd, or reset something so the car doesn't constantly think it's on a bumpy road that would work. I'm in florida so I don't really use 4wd for anything and could do without it. Thanks a lot
  • thumper21thumper21 Member Posts: 1
    The noise most likely is coming from the rear suspension bushings Manley the rear upper i put sensa track on changed the stabilizer bar bushing and still thumping, changed the bushing rear upper now the noise is gone,also the thumping would not be coming from the rear bearing, that would be a winning niose i have had to rebuild my rear end.Hope this helps.
  • cgrillocgrillo Member Posts: 2
    depending on material of your replacement bushings some grease will help,,,,this was an issue on older fox body mustangs when upgraded sway bar bushing for better handling...some of us actually custom built the bushing clamps by threading grease fittings...in the old days not much of after market when upgrading ..coat new sway bar bushing with grease or see if find brackets with grease fittings make sure all linkage is tight..common problem when stiffing up sway bar from stock junk
  • cgrillocgrillo Member Posts: 2
    97 v8 318 with 4x4 quad trac trans...HAVING WHINING NOISE COMING FROM LEFT WHEEL OR SIDE...CV BOOTS LOOK GOOD,,,EVERY THING SEEMS TIGHT FROM ENDS OF MAIN SHAFT,,,no grinding noises ,,no clicking noises during turns...BUT MILD. WHINING NOISES AT HIGH SPEEDS WHEN OFF PEDAL,,,,,NOT SURE IF TRANS IN TWO WHEEL DRIVE MODE DURING HIGH SPEEDS BUT NOISE COMES ONLY WHEN BACKING OFF OR CRUISE MODE..ONCE AGGRESSIVE on pedal noise gone....NO NOISES DURING CITY DRIVING...TRUCK MINT WITH MOSTLY ORiGINAL. stock parts at 80,000 miles...no demage to frame or body...NEED FEED BACK DONT WANT TO WASTE FUNDS REPLACING HUBS AN CV BOOT IF COMMON PROBLEM onb these model,,,NEED FEEDBACK BEFORE THROWING MONEY TO THE PROBLEM...any body have same issue? Much appreciated if saves time an money until i later upgrade and replace all parts for now need to save an just ensure good daily driver.....Carl
  • amy60amy60 Member Posts: 1
    I had the ball bearings replaced in the rear differential last week and when I picked it to drive home it was quiet and smooth. However the following day I drove to do errands and I notice a sound sort of like a flat tire (but it wasn't) and possibly felt like the car was shimmying.

Any guess as to what might be happening
  • puddin08puddin08 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Cherokee 4.0 inline 6. I have what I call a "popcorn" noise that started when I was pulling out and turning and is now almost every time I pull out. I've heard it could be the u joint or "spider gears" which have  idea what they are, I have also been told it could possibly be my transfer case. any advice is  will be greatly appreciated.
  • wayne120wayne120 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 5.2  full time 4x4 with tow package my front drive side makes a horrible grinding and humming noise almost like putting a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle I took the wheel off and see nothing took off the break caliper disc e.t.c. nothing no rubbing no rocks stuck any where I took out my drive side axel which I just replaced less then 6 months ago after looking at the axel I noticed 3 goug markes in the axel as if a pice of metal is rubbing against it . I look down the axel housing and I can see where the axel gear fits into the gear in the differential but I also see something else that is round and metal that looks like it's coming from the top of the axel housing and that is what is rubbing on my axel what is this did my gears in front differential come apart  please help I have no idea what I'm looking
  • dave6643dave6643 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2015 Jeep Trailhawk, after 3.5 years & several dealer visits, I still have a sound problem. Dealer says it’s just a Jeep thing, get used to it. It’s impossible to deal with this noise. At 10 mph is a raaaaa, raaaaa, raaaa, at 20 mph it’s a ra. Ra. Ra. Ra, at 60 mph is a rararararararararararararararara that never stops. Took off the firestone AT tires, put on Michelin Defender LTX, still the noise persists. You can’t even have a conversation inside the car it’s so bad. But dealer says nothing wrong. Does anyone have an idea what this noise is? It’s a 6 cyc with 60k miles. I can feel it in the floorboard also. Help.