Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electronics and Navigation

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
We're consolidating all the electronics and navigation discussions into this topic. This will include stereo equipment, computers, communication systems and so on.

tidester, host
SUVs and Smart Shopper

Comments

• jkcherokeejkcherokee Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '96 JGC. I need to know if there is a keyless system and an alarm system built in. How do I find that out, and how do I get control of them ?
  • ptahrekptahrek Member Posts: 2
    I just had my 95 jeep grand cherokee serviced and I am trying to reset the screen to 3000 miles until next service but I can't seem to get it to reset any suggestions
  • sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    I just purchased a JGC, and the antenna in the front kinda bugs me..is there a way I can get rid of it and buy something smaller?
  • jtankersley77jtankersley77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 and I dont remeber the sequence. I think you have to hold down both buttons when you start it up. Something like that. Keep holding untill it resets. If that doesnt work hold down just one keep tryg untill it resets. It is something like that.....
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Press the "select" button until the mileage shows and then hold the "set" button until it resets.
  • gunz1gunz1 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a GC Laredo with Sirius. Although radio works well , I cannot get display to list stations other than their numeric digit. Does the radio have way to adjust???
  • darkillusionzdarkillusionz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 grand cherokee and just tonight after owning the vehicle for over a year discovered it had a factory alarm when it decided to go off and cut my fuel pump after disconnecting the battery for aprox 10 min. the lights were still flashing but the horn was no longer beeping a few minutes later after playing with the key and messing with the doors and door locks it turned off and i was able to drive home any input would be greatly appreciated thanx

,Sebastian
  • reba1reba1 Member Posts: 1
    I have keyless entery system on my car, the car alarm and horn don't work, what could possible be wrong?
  • ddm777ddm777 Member Posts: 3
    i hit a deer on the interstate last year, i have fixed/replaced everything that needed it, yet i only get sound out of the front drivers side speakers. i followed the wiring, checked the speakers and even replaced the stereo to no avail. can any one help me with this problem? it's probebly something stupid that i'm overlooking or something. any help is very appreciated, thank you.
  • sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
  • rawdribrawdrib Member Posts: 1
    Did you find any solutions for this? I bought an 06 Grand Cherokee and it has a fixed antenna as well. I've been looking for a good option to replace it.
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Member Posts: 45
    Just a thought, Have you check the speaker wires for any breaks? How about the main speaker feed plug that goes to the stereo? You may have a loose pin in the plug. If you replaced the stereo and have the same problem, I don't think the problem is in the radio. I know this sounds stupid,but are the rear speakers turned on at the radio level? Good luck
    i have followed the wiring and checked the plug and all speakers are on at the stereo it has confused the hell out of me.
  • jaydoc73jaydoc73 Member Posts: 4
    I have 99jgc with Sentry key theft deterrent sys. I'm the only owner and have never had a problem before but over the pass few day sometimes when I startup, my sentry key light blinks and my baby shuts down in 2-3 seconds. On one occassion the light came on while I was driving and stayed on but she did not shutdown. I can't find but little info. in my manual. Is my only option to take my jeep to the Ripoff vultures.(dealer)?
  • carrieycarriey Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased this car,when the trunk is locked and I try to open it the alarm sounds.How do I find out how to use the system,not knowing the original owner or code?
  • pensfan71pensfan71 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Grand Cherokee Limited - I cannot get any sound from the sound system (Infinity Gold with 180W amp). The head unit lights up, shows the channel, accepts the CD, works the changer, everything but sound. I had a similar problem in 2003 and the dealer replaced the head unit. This time, like 2003, seems like an abrupt failure. Any thoughts or advice before I spend hundreds on a remanufactured head unit? Thanks in advance for any help.

p.s. This is radio #3 in this jeep. Radio #2 developed a short that was draining my battery and had to be replaced in 2005 - at my cost.
  • ssmssm Member Posts: 4
    I had this same prob on a 93 grand cherokee, dealer said they didn't know what to do-it was intermittent and they couldn't catch it. I used to pull all fuses relating to alarm , turned key a few times put the fuses back and it would start(usually). In another forum someone said it was related to the fuel pump(as it gets older-it causes the shut down)don't know if thats true. I did relpace the fuel pump - prob was gone for about 2 yrs and came back.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I have a 1997 and have had to replace all my speakers. The original equipment Infinity speakers have a paper cone and all of mine just rotted out from age. All of the door speakers are round and an unusual size. You will need to buy an 6 3/4" to 7" speaker to fit the hole unless you want to make or buy an adapter. 6 1/2" speakers will not fit without an adapter. Infinity does make a great sounding aftermarket speaker which I believe they advertise as a 7".
  • sunsetsuziesunsetsuzie Member Posts: 2
    Had the same issue with mine about 5 years ago....I am still driving it but have learned to not use the auto locks on the doors - manually lock the doors. The only thing that shuts the alarm off is turning the drivers side door lock forward - with the key (which I've driven mine for 7 years and the drivers door lock now sometimes will work and other times wont - probably a short somewhere) or using the remote, if you have one. Mine was worse in the winter when it got cold but I just don't even mess with it - too many times of the stupid thing going off.
    Hope this helps some! :shades:
    thanks ssm for that info. It appears that those problems/solutions do not apply to my jeep at this time, but the information will probably come in handy at a later date. For any one that has this problem, I have since discovered that it is related to me tilting the steering wheel to the up position. If I don't tilt my steering wheel up,( I leave it down and don't touch the tilt level when getting in and out of the car), the light never comes on or blink. If when you turn on your ignition the sentry light stays on and starts blinking, the engine will shut down in 2-3 seconds. As soon as I forget and tilt my wheel up, the light comes on. If you need more info. drop me a dime. again thanks for your help.
  • darkillusionzdarkillusionz Member Posts: 2
  • bdexheimerbdexheimer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited. Two days ago the alarm went off at 12:30 am. I shut it off and went back to sleep. Ten minutes later it went off again, so I went out and checked it. No one was around and it was fine. So I just manually locked the doors and didn't arm the system.

The alarm also went off yesterday while in a restaurant. I have checked it and it seems that being around the front of the vehicle can set it off. Does anyone know what could be causing this??? It is really annoying.
  • n9136vn9136v Member Posts: 1
    The Speakers in my jeep, an "Infinity system," aren't cheap to replace. I've successfully replaced the surrounds (the foam portion between the cone and the frame) for a fraction of what it costs to replace the entire speaker(s) with new. I ordered the parts from partsexpress dot com (do the math!). Took a lot of time, but the results were worth it. The problem with the originals is that the Foam surrounds will deteriorate over time. Why "foam surrounds"? Well, the response of the driver (speaker) based on where it's mounted, and it sounds darn good... Regardless, Replacement surrounds (if you don't mind spending the time) are worth the cash.

Vinnie
    98 JGC 5.2L 4x4 Laredo
  • chaseavecchaseavec Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into new audio options and I wanted to know if the jeeps stock audio might have an input in the rear or if possibly I could connect an aftermarket audio system and be able to connect the steering wheels volume and other controls. I want both luxuries!!!.. lol.. does any know?...
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    Hello to the forum: My question is does anyone know how to disable the in-motion (dis) ability on the nav unit? Other people have done it to GM products ect., but not to mopar nav units. Thanks in advance for your help the bread crumb method just does not always help and it would be nice if the passenger could call ahead to make a reservation for dinner or hotel or order chinese take out without havivg to stop on the side of the highway.
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
  • snsanbornsnsanborn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The starter went and I replaced it. Since I did this, my radio doesn't get any reception. It only picks up stations intermittently. I get sound when I use a cd though. I have also lost the ability to control the radio and cd player through the steering column. The horn also does not sound when I lock the car using my key ring. I received an Ipod attachment for my radio which also won't work because of what ever is wrong with the electrical system for the radio. I am wondering if something messed up when the battery had to be disconnected to install the new starter. Or maybe the system needs to be reprogrammed. Any ideas?????
  • kgvwkgvw Member Posts: 29
  • kgvwkgvw Member Posts: 29
    I just purchased the new Navteq DVD upgrade for my 05 JGC Nav system.

Low and behold the powers of intellegence decided to remove all the "clutter" from the nav screen. Clutter being the street names you normally look for when driving.

I can no longer drive down a street and look at the screen to find the street I'm looking for without actually using the joy stick to highlight a street and let it tell me what I'm looking at.

Unfortunately the DVD upgrades the firmware and is no longer backwards compatable.

I discussed this with Navteq, (claims they only write software based on requirements from chrysler),

Alpine (radio mfgr who claims they only supply the hardware) and Chrysler who claims they have no fix because Navteq supplied the software and Alpine supplied the radio... so call them or the Jeep dealer who never heard of any fixes at all, so call Chrysler.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS??? Right now I have a $1600 DVD/Radio with a very large screen that doesn't help me locate anything.

Thanks for any help.
  • t0ka4lyft0ka4lyf Member Posts: 4
    Sup , this isn't a Jeep specific problem really, but hoping someone knows what is wrong with my Jeep's door-speakers.

Just the other day while listening to music in my Jeep, the whole right side speakers went out, leaving me with just my left side playing. But the right side would start working like 5 minutes later, only to randomly start cutting out again every 5-10 minutes.

So yesterday I tried it again, this time checking the fade & balance of the speakers. I found that all 4 of the door speakers do work, it's just that 3 of them (both right side, 1 on left) only play at like 15% power..... while my other door speaker still plays at 100%. Not sure what is going on, as this just happened out of the blue... never heard any crackling beforehand or anything.

So I'm just wondering if anyone here knows what the problem may be. Like, are the 3 door speakers just getting worn out? Or is there a loose wire that would cause something like this to happen? I would think it was a loose wire if the speakers were still cutting out... but since they all still play (just very softly), I don't know what to think.

Thanks~
  • sshakkoursshakkour Member Posts: 3
    i have 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have the same problem like in message no.2 ; the only difference that there is a sound the first few seconds i turn on the radio ; then noting. any ideas .
    it just happened that yesterday my son opened the right back door for the jeep and the sound came on and then when he closed the door the sound went off; after doing that for a couple of times i figured that the wires that ran through the door are being pinched some how ; so i just wiggled the lines and every thing is working fine now .
    read message no. 7 it might help
  • ptahrekptahrek Member Posts: 2
  • dwest2dwest2 Member Posts: 1
    I think the amp under the back seat isn't working. Probably my daughter blew it out.The sound for the radio comes from the 2 front speakers in the doors only. It's real muffled and basey sounding. Anyone had the prob
  • gunz1gunz1 Member Posts: 9
  • brad423brad423 Member Posts: 1
    My rear speakers suddenly stoped working. The fuses are all good and when I push on the stereo it will kick back on then off again. Is it common for the wires to come loose or is the stereo going bad?
  • mankmanmankman Member Posts: 2
    Need information on where to start here. This Jeep was running fairly good, it had the hard to start problem, but as long as you held the ignition and pumped the gas it would start and stay started. Then the both Back lights and dash lights went out, all other bulbs worked and it still started, went to buy a new light switch and there was no power at all. I have checked all fuses and cleaned all connectors they were all extreamly gunked up, still no power. Where do I start now?
  • cdn4wheelercdn4wheeler Member Posts: 1
    i bought an 2002 jgc & the computer worked fined. now the buttons light up but the dispay does not show up. how can this be fixed?
  • skooter1skooter1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 jeep cherokee and have installed a high power sterio system in it. so powerful that all the lights dim when hitting a bass note. I need to install a high amp alternator but I am trying to find one off of a different dodge or jeep that is over 100 amps. what cars and trucks have the same alt set-up on them? Also will a high amp alt hurt my computor or anything. thanks.
  • lady12lady12 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 95 JGC. I was at my aunts funeral when my factory installed alarm first started going off when I opened my doors. In the owners manual it explains to make it stop is to try to lock and unlock the drivers, passenger or the back gate.
    What makes mine stop is if I go to the back gate and turn the key to the right, left and then back to the right again. Then the horn stops. Kinda like a combination lock. Silly? Yes, but itworks!
  • jaynote99jaynote99 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee limited with a Hemi. Yesterday I recieved a message saying "Service 4WD System", has anyone got this before? If so, what came out of it. It is driving me nuts, I have the car two weeks!!!
  • scorpio1947scorpio1947 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I've installed a Nav. unit from a '06 GC Limited on my '06 GC Laredo. The unit operates fine except for the audo navigation instructions which are very loud and very garbled. The am-fm-cd sound is perfect.
    Does anyone know what I need to do to get the nav. audio working correctly?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill
  • pastortompastortom Member Posts: 1
    A lot of AM interference on my Optimus 12-2154 radio while the engine is running. Turn off the engine and turn ignition to accessory and reception improves dramatically. What could this be. I've already replaced spark plugs and wires with NO results.
  • ffalknerffalkner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 JGC that experienced the same message. The dealer replaced a defective sensor in the front differential to solve the problem. Thank goodness I had the warranty.
  • 4x4jeep4x4jeep Member Posts: 13
    generally if you loose the ability to control the radio with steering controls, verify that none of the controls are stuck engaged. simple way to do that is to try the same operation at the radio itself. if you still can not preform the function, then something else is messed up. if you find that the operation works at the radio then one of the buttons on the steering wheel controls is stuck. simply pull out the control switch from the wheel and disconnect the 2 wire connection and check if you can use the controls at the wheel to control the radio. if you can just replace that rocker switch. good luck :)
    sounds like a grounding issue, you can always add a ground to the actual radio and it will not hurt anything, that should solve your problem. or check your ground wire on the harness see what kind of ohms you are getting. the factory ground for the harness i believe is in the center council next to the airbag module. good luck :D
    it is possible the wires are loose in the back of the steerio or something is rubbing, when the dash is installed at the factory the radio is already in the dash and they slam it home. the wires or bundles could be hitting the dash superstructure. check out the harness for routing and wire heath when you pull the radio out. good luck :cry: