Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Indicator Lights and Gauges

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
We're putting them all in one convenient place. Let's talk about them here.

tidester, host
SUVs and Smart Shopper

Comments

• spider333spider333 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the 2004 Santa Fe for two years and I've never been happy with the brightness of the headlamps. Not only are they not bright enough on normal, but the high beams seem even dimmer (it seems as though the same number of lumens are just diverted over a greater area). Anyway, I've been planning on replacing the OEMs with something brighter. Does anyone have recommendations? I think the headlamp size is H3, but if you know differently let me know. I'm not enthused about spending the money and time to put in xenon lights with the extra stuff necessary. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    You might want to purchase a Sylvania SilverStar High Performance lighting. (Bulb type 9003ST)
    Any other brand will be bulb type (9003) for you high/low beam not H3.
    You can go to Sylvania.com and look it up under Consumer Products then to Automotive Lighting. Hopefully this will help you.
  • dmg1204dmg1204 Member Posts: 1
    When I have my lights on everything lights up except the "reset and trip" buttons on the trip computer. I wasn't sure if these do light up or mine are not working. I can't see those buttons at all in the dark!
  • gangsplattgangsplatt Member Posts: 11
    I don't think they light up. At least mine don't either. I just realized they didn't light up the other night. Wanted to see my Avg MPG and couldn't tell which was trip and which was reset. They thought of a lot in this car including the lighted cup holders I can't believe they forgot to light up the trip and reset buttons. I've got an appointment at the dealer on Friday morning because my trip computer no longer displays the outside temp, I'll ask them if they are supposed to light up or not.
  • mikecommikecom Member Posts: 1
    How is the bulb behind the Speedo, Rev Counter, Fuel Gauge etc on my 1994 VW Passat accessed? Mine has gone out and it's not a faulty fuse.
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2005 santa fe lx i had to refill the coolant 3 time since i,ve had it. i have 20,987 miles on it there are no leaks. took it back to the dealer they said that this is normal for the santa fe.now where is it going? if its not leaking out is it going in to the engine? or what help. :confuse:
  • jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Your dealer is full of it. Take it to another dealer or call the Hyundai rep for your area.

JCS
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    I agree. Your dealer stinks. You most certainly have a leak. All engines have a coolant jacket. Yours is leaking. The most commonly leaks into the cylinder and is burned. If this is happening you will begin to notice white smoke from the exhaust and a sweet smell. You could also be leaking into the oil itself or a combination of the two. In any event GET to another dealer soon! Good luck.
  • sf121kmisf121kmi Member Posts: 14
    Every time I take my Santa Fe through the car wash, the check engine light comes on. Any ideas? Thnx
  • nv_0411nv_0411 Member Posts: 1
    im a 2007 hyundai santa fe owner,i noticed this buttons dont light up either on mine,i went to dealer and ask about it ,they said this 2 buttons does'nt light up. :(
  • mpalacolmpalacol Member Posts: 14
    They're correct and I'm surprised Hyundai didn't think about this because they thought of everything else.

I also wonder why the temperature gauge doesn't appear sometimes and when it does, it's never accurate.

The biggest instrument light issue I have is that the dimmer control doesn't work during the day when the headlights are off. I'm amazed that very few SF owners complain about this, nor the brightness of the lights at night. The more conscious I am that they're bright, the more distracted I am by them so I'll turn my headlights on just to dim them.

Anyone have this gripe?
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    I have no complaints about my instrument lights. I like that they are bright enough during the day to actually see the readouts. At night with my lights on, I can adequately dim them to an appropriate level using the dimming control. Nope, no complaints from me about these lights.

Also, my temperature gauge is always accurate and does a very good job of indicating the outside air temperature. There is a common malfunction with the temperature sensing system where it doesn't read the correct temp and often gets "stuck" on 68 degrees. There is a technical service bulletin out on it and it is easily fixed. See the 2007 Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair thread for the details.
    Thank you for the temperature gauge info.

I'm hoping I will adjust to the brightness of the blue lights during the day. The blue was a big selling point when I decided to buy the SF. The indigo/periwinkle shade is actually my favorite color, I just noticed my eyes felt strained and sensitive after driving my new car for a week. Hopefully it's due to something else.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    I had the "disappearing" outside temp gauge when my 07 santa SE was delivered.

The poor dealer had no idea, nor does Hyundai consumer affairs to this day,that a TSB existed (got it here!!!...Thanks again). :)

I have said this many times...the communication at Hyundai is VERY poor. reps are nice but are ill informed. the service departments are just embarrassed,,,especially when I had to give them the Temp TSB...they were told a fix was being developed but had no idea it was out...took about 20 minutes...that was in early FEB 0f 07!

After giving the dealer the TSB that I got here, all worked well...and still does. I find it pretty accurate so far.

Only one small gripe. they put the "change computer function" button in a very inconvenient location and it is not lit at night.

I also find the instrument lighting too bright at night so I have it dimmed way down for night driving. Nice color though....I like it...rather unique.

I am a lucky one...my Service manager goes out of his way to make me happy! BTW: someone ordered the towing hitch/harness pkg with the part# i mentioned in a previous post...looks nice but not for $400! (My dealer offered it to me for 10% over his cost but I am going to wait to see what happens next and if any third parties make the connector...i doubt it but can wait...dealer cost is about $240 for the pkg (he said there has been a lot of griping about the $1300 for the touring pkg and then being charged for the hookup as a pkg)
  • tuggles1tuggles1 Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2007 Santa Fe as a loaner since my 2006 Sonata is about to get a new engine. Anyway when I got the Santa Fe (love it, by the way), it had 32 miles on it. Now it has 500+ and the check engine light just came on today. It's also running very badly. I've been a loyal Kia and Hyundai owner (also own 2006 Sedona), but I'm really getting tired of this. The Sedona was recalled and had many TSBs.
  • jcoug03jcoug03 Member Posts: 4
    Welcome to my TPMS nightmare. I have a 2007 Santa Fe (which I love) and the only problem I have with it is the TMPS light continuously coming on. It started about a week after I purchased the car.

I went in the first time and they told me it was due to the cold weather. It came on again the next week (when it wasn't cold) and they said that I had 'over-inflated' the tires (but I never touched the tires).

Of course, the next week it came on again and they said that a 'sensor' needed replacing.

The 4th time I brought it in, they kept it for three days and then told me (again) that I must have 'over-inflated' the tires. Then, after the third day of having my car they said that the TPMS code had logged into three of the computer systems and that the past few times I was in they didn't clear the codes from all of the systems. They said now that they have cleared the codes I wouldn't have any problems.

Two days ago, after encountering ANOTHER TPMS light, I took my car back in, where they (again) suggested that I might have overinflated the tires (I nearly screamed out of frustration) and received a loaner car. This afternoon the dealer called me because they had "conveniently" just received a Technical Service Bulletin from Hyundai stating the following:

HYUNDAI TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN - ALL MODELS RELEASED WITH THE TPMS
    DESCRIPTION: This bulletin provides information regarding electromagnetic interference with the Tire Pressure Monitoringn System (TPMS).

The TPMS malfunction indicator lamp may be illuminated if the vehnicle is moving around electric power supply cables or radio transmitters at police stations, government and public offices, broadcasting stations, military installations, airports, transmitting towers, etc. The TPMS malfunction indicator lamp generally turns off after the vehicle is removed from such interferences.

DIAGNOSIS:
    If the TPMS indicator lamp is ON, and all four wheel sensors are checked and are working correctly, external electronic devices connected to the vehicle's power outlets (cellphone, notebook computer, seat warmer, massagers, coolers, etc.) may be the cause of this condition.

ACTION:
    Please request the customer to not operate external electronic devices that cause this condition.

THANKS FOR NARROWING IT DOWN HYUNDAI! Considering that I live in western Washington (near Ft. Lewis, and an airport, and police stations, and radio towers) and use my cell phone, what the heck am I supposed to do about it?
    Furthermore, how am I supposed to know when there is a real problem with it, versus when I just so happen to be driving by one of these 'electromagnetic interference' areas?

They still have my car over the weekend so that they can have a field agent look at it, but I am not holding my breath on the outcome.
    I called Hyundai of USA Customer Service who said that they haven't heard of this TSB, but that they'll "look into it..."

If anyone else is having this problem please help! :lemon:
    "DIAGNOSIS:
    If the TPMS indicator lamp is ON, and all four wheel sensors are checked and are working correctly, external electronic devices connected to the vehicle's power outlets (cellphone, notebook computer, seat warmer, massagers, coolers, etc.) may be the cause of this condition.

Now that is very disturbing news....I use a cell phone, radar detector and GPS which I have not tried out in my 07 SF yet. :mad: I hope they find a fix....Yes I know there are warnings about operating equipment in the vehicle but you don't find out until after you buy one and read it. I hope they at least they try to fix it!

I am beginning to really question whether any car company tests their vehicles at all. The standard answer at Mini Cooper for oddball troubles..."It's a Mini thing"...sold it!
    I run a laptop, Nextel, Cingular, GPS and I constantly drive on the NJ Turnpike within 100 feet of high power lines. Unless my Santa Fe was built with a lead liner I would not pay any attention to this TSB. If it actually exists since I just looked and can not find any reference to EMF Interference. I personally had an issue early on with the system and it turned out to be a bad transmitter.
    Thanks Pelican19....that is a bit more reassuring. I plan to do a bit of testing myself and will report if needed. Problem is I just don't drive the SF that much yet

Thanks again
  • gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    Of course your "loaner car" does the exact same thing when driving around strong EMF's.........I'm sure it does not!

They always just say that your the only one experiencing this problem ;)
  • bkirk1bkirk1 Member Posts: 21
    it sounds like hyundai doesn't know what is causing the the faulty signal. Sense its not the sensors it must be the receiver that is faulty. It could the frequency that the receiver is on. I assume that not every Santafe your dealer has sold has this problem.
  • jhoffman720624jhoffman720624 Member Posts: 4
    My TPMS light came on about 10 miles after leaving the dealership. When I got home, I checked the tire pressure and it was 45 to 49 in each tire. (I had asked them to check the tire pressure before I left the dealership, but they didn't). I reduced the tire pressure to the recommended level but the TPMS light continued to stay on.

Recently took the car to the dealer for an oil change after 1000 miles. They reset the light claiming that it showed a code for over-inflation. The light came back on during the trip back home from the dealership. I checked the tires again and they were all around 30 (the recommended pressure).

I'm going to take it to another dealership next week to look at the light.
  • retiredpilotretiredpilot Member Posts: 16
    I'm not so sure I would dismiss the "outside influence" theory entirely. Whenever I am driving along Interstate 80 around Stroudsburg, my TPMS light comes on. I wait until I am about 20 miles down the road and hit the reset button, the light goes out and all is well until the next pass by Stroudsburg, PA.
    I have a 02 Sienna
  • retiredpilotretiredpilot Member Posts: 16
    Re: my post #8. I forgot to add that I am waiting for the 08 Santa. I love the 07's but I just have this thing about buying a "first year" vehicle. Looks like I am wrong this time in consideration of the number of extremely satisfied 07 Santa owners but I am committed to wait now.
    FYI

The Hyundai models do not have a reset button for TPMS. The system checks every 15/30 seconds and update the cluster. ( In theory ) :)
    The saga continues. I picked up my car today (finally) and they told me that a Hyundai Field Mechanic was flown in to look at this problem. After looking at the TPMS problem at hand, this 'highly specialized mechanic' suggested that they rotate the tires. They discovered that the error is only occuring on the back tires, so they switched them to the front hoping that it won't cause anymore problems. Um...okay.
    Seeing my complete and total frustration they took the approach of "Hyundai of America would really like your help on this since it's a new vehicle and this is a new problem...so if you could keep a log of when/where/whattime/howfast etc you were when it goes off that would be great." Nice. I'll let everyone know what happens! ;)
  • jhoffman720624jhoffman720624 Member Posts: 4
    I took the car to another dealer last week and they looked at the TPMS system. They discovered that one of the rear tires was not properly "registered" with the system and that was causing the TPMS light to stay on.

Now it seems to be working OK.
  • rvanremorvanremo Member Posts: 3
    I've seen a few references to the light intensity on the 2007 Limited's instrument panel and screens... as for me the lighting is way too bright at night, it's a real distraction out on rural roads away from the city. My plan is to temporarily cut some pieces of dark window film and affix them to the screens and turn the dimmer control to the minimum setting, that is until I can come up with a more elegant solution. I'm thinking that it would be great to replace the controller with one that allows about 50% of the current intensity (wattage?), if that's possible to do with a reasonable amount of effort. Anyone have other ideas? In every other respect our 2007 AWD Ltd Santy is a total champ and we love it. Thanks!
  • cinciboy02cinciboy02 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Santa Fe and the light behind the radio went out. My dealer said they dont service the radios (lost my biz). Does anyone know how to access the bulb so it can be replaced?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This guide may help until another owner comes along with the answer:

Hyundai part lookup on Hyundai Parts Online
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Can you clarify the light that went out on the radio?

Is that the button back light that allows you to read the the radio buttons at night? If that is the case, you may have:

1. The wire connections between vehicle and radio may be bad (Park light signal, dimmer signal). If this happened, all buttons labels are not lit up. In addition, the display is not step dimmed when you first turn the park light on. And you can't control the intensity of dimming either. In this case, radio may be OK, but the wire connection is bad or the park light/ dimmer signals are not given to radio

2. Internal dimming circuit of radio could be broken: same result as 1

3. Certain labels are lit while others are not: some light bulbs on the Switch/Display circuit board are bad and need replacement or some switching transistor is bad.

If the actual radio display ( shows radio frequency, volume, tone setting,...) is out, then you could have following problems and they are related to radio alone:

1. Bad Switch/Display board that controls the display function
    2. Bad wire connection between Switch/Display board and the radio's Main board
    3. Bad radio's Main board display control circuit
    4. The Display Power module is bad or the connection between it and the display is bad

So, it is not a do it yourself job unless you are lucky that the problem is wire connection between the radio and the vehicle is broken. Other than that, if it is inside the radio or some dimming module, you will have a tough job. BTW, there is no ONE big light bulb inside this Santa Fe radio (like one in Honda Accord radio). It has quite a few small light bulbs and a regular VF display. If you want to fix the radio, you have to dis-assemble it. Without schematic to work with, it is rather hard to debug the problem.

Good Luck.

jt
  • crowartcrowart Member Posts: 25
    Supposedly models with the rear seat entertainment system have an additional control that can be used to dim the front dash instrument panel. "Trust but verify" that information.
  • tidefantidefan Member Posts: 3
    I have an Ultimate & Touring Santa Fe and can confirm that there is indeed a dashboard light dimmer switch right next to the ESC switch....
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    So do I (Limited with Premium but NOT Ultimate or Touring).
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    I have the Limited Premium and I can verify that there is a dimmer switch. We have ours "dimmed" as far as it can go and my husband still thinks it's too bright for him. I think it's just fine.
    My SE Touring Pkg has a dimmer too...It is fine for me at about 60% dimmed and I do not find it distracting at all. I also liked the red color of the Mini Cooper's dash lights too, but the blue is well....different.
  • tjk850tjk850 Member Posts: 13
    The dimmer control is located next to the ECP switch as stated by tidefan. That switch also controls the backlighting of the Rear Seat Entertainment system on models equipped with the Ultimate package. There is no control for the dash lighting in the RSE area. The belief that there is a separate switch for the entire vehicle’s display in the back with the RSE probably comes from the Owner’s Manual where on page 1 – 167 there is an explanation of the Dimmer control.
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2003, santa fe, with 20075 miles. recently the left side map lite bulb (these are the two lites-left & right- above the drivers head) burned out. The dealer is telling me the cost of a replacement is between &15-$17 dollars. Can any one advise me if that is true & if the bulb is available, cheaper, after maket. Thank you for any help provided.. I can also be reached at formitable59@aol.com
    That is extremely outrageous...In the 2007 manual it shows how to remove the bulbs...just look in your manual and if the bulb type is not called out, remove the old one and match it up. It is probably a screw in, bayonet, or double ended push in type.

I would bet on the screw in or twist and turn bayonet. Kragen or the like should have them...but this is just MHO. I cannot even imagine it costing more than a few $$.

Sounds like they are charging you some sort of minimum labor charge.
    I've had my 07 Santa Fe for less than 3 months but my air bag light recently came on. The dealer wouldn't say what's causing it, only that they had to order a part to fix it. I'm waiting for the part, but the warning light was no longer on when I picked up my car.

By the way, the seat belt fastener for the rear passenger seat completely fell through the hole. My passengers were baffled over what possibly happened to it because they all insisted it was gone. Thank goodness the dealer was able to pull it out since it fell to the base of the car. I'm not sure if that problem caused my air bag light to turn on. The dealer didn't think so.
  • tallyclassictallyclassic Member Posts: 14
    I want to confirm what what mentioned previously.....Does the instrument pod (speedo/tach/gas/temp)get backlit in the daytime?? Just like at night?
    Seems that the radio and other buttons are lit, just nothing in the pod....just the odometer/trip lcd.

Would really be nice to have a little backlighting in there. Even during the day the speedo and tach numbers get a little hard to see without really concentrating on them.
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    gizzer777, thanx for the reply. it seems hyundai, missed this item in the 5 year warranty. it is a halogen bulb & I believe itshould be included in the same warrenty, as the fuses, hear lites, etc, but hyundai missed it. the dealership parts depts, lists the price of the bulb as between $15 & $19. (called 5 dealerships) it's a philips, bayonet, 12v-5w. philips direct can't come up with the number. (isn't that a joke?) numerous after market places, did not have a cross-over. I did find one place & will let you know haw it works out. the price was &2.86. SHIPPING WAS $7.95. total was still less then hyundai price. awaiting delivery of bulb.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Unless your headlights or parking lights are turned on, the only areas that are backlit when the engine is running are the LCD displays (odometer display, radio when it's playing, and climate control display on Limited models). All other backlighting (instruments, radio and HVAC control buttons) illuminates only when the headlights or parking lights are on.
    That is really bad news. maybe it was not such a great idea having the map light fixed to come on when the door opens in my 07 SF... When you get the correct model #, please post it and I will order a few spares unless they try the $7.95 for each! . $3.00 sounds fair for halogen...then you are raped on fgt. We have a Light bulb store that has just about every bulb made, or can order it. They are fair with pricing too

On another subject, I just ordered a drawtite class III Hitch from Etrailers ($120) for the SF...Then I spent most of the afternoon searching out the new plug and play harness that fits the towing pkg equipped SF's (that weird plug)...what a pain, and as said here, $81.61! (I wonder if it comes with KY Jelly!)The part number posted here is correct and verified by Hyundaiusa...U8612-2B000

My dealer wanted $96 + tax (sent away to another dealer in CA...I hate getting ripped off in the first place and do not need the hitch right away.)....Geez...and they will become hard to get IMHO as they have only been out a few days. Figured since the hitch only was $120 (if you ordered $150 in parts, the FGT WAS FREE...FROM ETRAILER) so with the hitch and harness, it was about $150 cheaper than the oem pkg which BTW comes with a Crimp on to rear lights harness...now isn't that special, and only $400 if you do it! Can you imagine that harness costing that much....! :)
    The last message I posted they had 'rotated' my tires in search of a solution to my TPMS problems. Two days later, my SaFe was back in the shop for the same issues. I left the car with them for 10 days while they flew the mechanic back in who had a re-wiring solution. Three days after the 're-wiring' had been implemented, again the TPMS light went off. I dropped the car off (again - 6th time) where it has been for the past three weeks. I wrote Hyundai USA a letter asking them to either replace or repurchase my car in 40 days or that I would have to file it as a :lemon: . The Hyundai West Coast Consumer Affairs office called and is trying to cut a deal but keeps telling me that I have to pay them $1000 for a 'usage' fee to trade out the vehicle; and that they can't help me re-coup the car payments that I've been making for a car that I don't have! On top of that, I went to the dealership today to get some things out of my car and this is what is looks like now. Absolutely everything has been torn out of the vehicle. The seats, the carpeting, all the wiring...I'm exhausted...any thoughts?

Time to check the Lemon laws in your state. I understand their point of view on the Payments..... but not the usage fee..I think it all depends on what the Lemon Law in your state calls for. (car companies usually try a bluff to see how far you will go.)

The last alternative is that you tell them you may sue them for specific performance of the warranty (expensive for them) if they do not drop that chg....but that would be expensive for you unless you have a relative for an attorney! If upheld they would have to spend a fortune fixing the problem...Might be a shot!

I would think if you opt for a replacement (without that chg which your lemon law may permit), you may be better off...your problems seems pretty isolated and most of the posts and reviews here are pretty positive about the 07 SF. Remember you are trying to move an elephant using a 1/4 inch rope!!!
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    Just wanted to make a post dedicated to service engine light problems - if anyone has had any yet / what the code was / what the solution was...
    could prove useful down the line....
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I had it once before on my Pontiac - it turned out to be that I had not replaced the gas cap properly- the Emissions Control sensors picked up the lack of vacuum in the fuel system. It also took 50 miles before the system reset itself to clear the original warning, after tightening the cap.

Usually, the "Check Engine" Light warning is related to the fuel system and emsissions control, including the Catalytic Converter. It could mean a loose or cracked hose in the vacuum lines, dirty oxygen sensors, faulty emissions sensors, loose gas cap, ad nauseam. I thought a diagnostic check with the old plug in Computer usually finds the error code.
    Check Engine Light at 11,600 miles
    Dealer replaced PLUG ASSY-SPARK SENSOR
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    did they give you a code?