Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Car & Driver measured sounds levels at 70 mph and got a reading of 70 dBA. At idle, it measured only 42 dBA. That's on par with their tests of the Lexus RX300. However, Edmunds got a score of 76. This is neither good nor bad. Different roads will give different results, but the variance here is a little wide.
  • bklybkly Member Posts: 5
    Bay Ridge Honda, Brooklyn, NY
    EX - $500 off MSRP,
    apprx. wait time 4-6 weeks
    :)
  • hislanderhislander Member Posts: 67
    I am in Houston, and I was quoted a '02 CR-V LX 2WD for 18.6K (dest. included) plus TTL and 4wk wait. Is it a fair price for this region? I am not looking for a killer price, but some typical price that you all paid. Please let me know. Thanks.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    The Car and Driver road test said the 5 speed
    would do 0 60 60 in 8.4 seconds but no mention
    of the automatic EX.Anybody know this?I have made the purchase and get the car next week but never drove it on the freeway, just trusted the glowing
    reports.I hope it is better than the Acura coupe
    I traded in with a 150 hp 2.3VTEC with automatic.
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Who in bay ridge honda did u deal with for the $500. off an ex crv
  • rocky5656rocky5656 Member Posts: 34
    Hello out there. I'm new to HOnda's CRV, just purchased a 99 EX. If someone could help me out with some info, it would be great. First
    1)supposed to be a trailer lite connector behind the drivers side rear speaker, does the speaker just pry out easily? I want to install a 4 flat connector. Also, Looks like Putnam hitch is the only one with 2 cross bars to the framework to be the heaviest handler for 2000 lbs. Is this so?
    2)like I've seen posted, seems to be excessive road noise in cab, I have the Bridgestone Dueller tires, will others be quiter? Would any extra soundproofing or undercoating be of value in this area?
    Other than that, everything seems great. Was looking at the 2001 or 02 Rav 4, but very pricey with this "One price, no haggle" baloney up here in Canada.
    Thanks everyone.
    Tomsr - Only automatic test I've seen is from TruckTrend/MotorTrend. In a comparison with the RAV4, Escape, and Freelander, they clocked the automatic CR-V at 8.93 seconds.

Given what we've seen so far, it looks like the 5 speed will get to 60mph in the mid to high 8 second range. I'm guessing that the automatic will run low to mid 9 second times. The standing quarter mile seems to average between 16 and 17 seconds.
    Rocky - Try this link. Scroll down to the section on trailer hitches.

There are quiet tires that you can buy for the CR-V. They do make a difference, but most are street tires without the traction necessary for off-highway driving and snow. This link provides a comparison of the two tires fitted as OEM equipment. Living in the North East, I opted to live with the noise and keep the all season traction.

I added Dynamat sound dampening to the front half of my 99's floor and also fit it into the door panels up front and in back. That upgrade only made a minor difference (I'm not a pro installer, so you could have better luck). I spent less money on a hoodliner and got the same modest results. If I were to do it again, I'd go with the hoodliner and a paste/coating of the wheel wells.

• theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    > 1)supposed to be a trailer lite connector behind
    > the drivers side rear speaker, does the speaker
    > just pry out easily? I want to install a 4 flat
    > connector.

The cover just prys off with a flat head screwdriver. Look at the bottom of the cover for a slot to insert the screwdriver. The speaker then can be unscrewed to expose the wiring.

> Also, Looks like Putnam hitch is the only one with
    > 2 cross bars to the framework to be the heaviest
    > handler for 2000 lbs. Is this so?

The CR-V takes a Class I hitch. Class I hitches in general are rated for up to 2,000 lbs, but the CR-V itself is only rated for 1,000 lbs. by Honda. The new 2002 CR-Vs have been rated for 1,500 lbs, but they have a more powerful engine and 4 wheel disc brakes. Having said that, there are CR-V owners that have successfully towed trailers weighing more than 1,000 lbs.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Is there a 2002 SE model? I read where the SE has leather, privacy glass, and a few other goodies. Are they available now or is there a wait? A hard spare tire cover was another feature included in the SE package.
  • timz58timz58 Member Posts: 44
    We have an 02 EX-A CRV with about 1000 miles on it. No problems with the car other than excessive road noise with the OEM Bridgestones. I had 215/65-15 all weather tires (much less aggressive tread pattern) installed 3 days after we took delivery and the noise level is about 40% less, almost non-existent on smooth blacktop roads. I do notice a little more torque steer under brisk acceleration but it is not objectionable. I think anyone changing tire size needs to consider the affect of oversized tires on performance and wear on the vehicle drive train - too tall and you risk "lugging" the engine on hills and decrease acceleration significantly. Too short and you will be turning a lot more engine RPM at a given speed. Most vehicles are designed taking factors like engine torque, horsepower final drive ratio and transmission gearing to optimize vehicle performance. Don't look too cool with your 17 inchers if the engine or transmission quits on you from over stressing them. Try to keep the same or close to the same outside diameter if you want to keep your vehicle running for a long time. My wife drove the Vee for the first time this weekend and I may end up driving her 99 accord. The CRV is a very well made, quality product that will no doubt provide years of service. We also had the dealer install an OEM trailer hitch - installed price with wiring was $261.00 including the insert and a trailer ball. Not bad compared to the last hitch I had installed on a pickup truck. The Honda Hitch is well built and seems to be solidly attached.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Yes, tires can make a difference. The stock Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts are notorious noisemakers. After mine wore down, I swapped in a set of Dueler H/Ls, which are Bridgestone's top-of-the-line tires for trucks/SUVs that spend most of their life on the pavement. The tire noise levels were shifted down by 5-10 mph . . . what I mean is that 60 mph now sounds like 50 used to, 75 mph now sounds like the old 70, etc. The biggest noise irritant in my CR-V now is the wind noise by far. An unexpected bonus was a marked upgrade in steering and tracking -- it's noticeably easier to point straight. For maximum on-road performance and comfort, you might consider turning away from truck tires completely and embracing a passenger car tire like the Michelin X-One. There are a lot of quality products out there, but each is the result of compromise among conflicting performance values.
    This week I hope to get my new CRV EX and my wife
    will not get it!She has a 2001 Acura 3.2 TL which
    Honda is missing a bet if they don't make a wagon version of it.I only drove the V a couple of miles on city streets but love it.Even at MSRP
    there is no competition.The Escape is the closest
    in performance and price but it suffers from poor quality materials,and less room inside.Just for comparison here is a list of acceleration numbers
    0-60 mph which is important in So Cal.,Santa Fe 11.1 sec.,Toyota Highlander 4 cyl 10.8 sec.,VW Passat wagon 1.8T 9.9 sec., CRV 8.9 sec., Escape 8.5 sec.In addition a new issue of consumers guide gave the Escape a bad reliablity rating.I
    was seriously considering the Escape but little
    things like in the cargo area the carpet was not even trimmed,it would have cost a few cents.In the mountains it feels gutless unless you keep the revs up by turning off overdrive.I could have
    gotten the Escape for under invoice because my son works for a Ford dealer but sometimes money isn't everything.
  • surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    I'm thinking of putting down a deposit for my "V" since i want a color i have not seen yet (green). Should I put it on a credit card in case this falls through (salesman said it was refundable). does anyone know if the accessory tires from honda are as nice as the ex tires?? think i want the lx any help appreciated thanks
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    That Robert's name link was something new to me.
    Funny. Enjoy the V
    INKY
    I thought Internet sales were suppose to be
    painless.You still have to play the game where you
    tell the guy what you want to pay he writes it down then goes back to some mysterious room then
    we repeat the process till we reach an agreement.
    They are still trying to extract all the cash they can for the deal.The only positive thing is you eliminate dealing with the wolves hanging
    out on the lot.You are just dealing with one very smart wolf who will eat you for lunch.Sure the internet price may be fixed(in this case msrp for
    CRV)but the variable is the extras added to the deal and the value given for your trade.Here a typical price on sticker is msrp +$1000 +$600 propack.I paid msrp ($22740)and that included the propack and dest.70 miles north the sticker is msrp + $600 for propack.The key to a good price is
    location and availability.I did not get a good
    deal relative to msrp but I did get a good deal
    if you look at other cars in it's class.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    There's no 2002 SE model available for the US.

If you look at the 2001 SE compared to the 2002 EX you'll see that the '02 EX is better equipped than the '01 SE, other than not having leather seat covers.

JM2C
  • bailiebailie Member Posts: 12
    Yeah I know I am off topic but I can't help it.

Thursday Ladies hockey Canada 3 U.S.A. 2

Sunday Men's hockey Canada 5 U.S.A 2

Canadians rule- Go Canada Go
    I hope to the heavens that doesn't mean a $600 "protection package." Oh Noooooooooooo!!!!
  • johncrvjohncrv Member Posts: 9
    bailie, not to mention that Honda even gave the Canadians heated front seats and leather option in the CR-V EX models. Congrats!
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    Finally had a chance to take a test drive in a 2wd. In the city it was very quiet, nice ride, and had a small turning circle that made it very easy to make u-turns and park. Plenty of room for family and cargo. Fun to drive would be the best way to summarize the city driving experience.

On the freeway, while power was no problem, the loud road noise was very annoying. Before we left on the drive, I checked the tire pressure(was about 28) on the Bridgestone Dueler's. I asked the salesman about the BF Goodrich tires, and he didn't really know. If those BFGs are quieter, why isn't Honda equipping all CRVs with them? Unfortunately, we came to the conclusion that we couldn't live with the freeway road noise in a brand new car. Buying such a vehicle would mean that we couldn't take it for any trips out of town.

It looks like Honda has done a great job in significantly reducing the engine and wind noise on the 2002 model, but must have decided to not bother with road noise. I'd be willing to pay $1K more on a $19K vehicle to get the pleasure of a quiet ride. One more thing: these dB measurements done by car magazines cannot be a substitute for actual experience. That tire/road noise on the freeway at 60 mph is very distracting. I think many Honda owners (me included) have a tendency to be more accepting of such things just because it's a Honda, particularly in the honeymoon after purchasing one. Even though I am a Honda owner, I decided not to accept such a noisy freeway cruiser. Hopefully, Honda will make a few tweaks for 2003, just like they did on the 2002 Civic.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I have the exact opposite opinion as you do. The noise level on my '02 is not excessive at highway speeds.

That's the beauty of this world, everyone has an opinion. Try the Pilot, or MDX, maybe those are more to your liking.
  • susanlmsusanlm Member Posts: 15
    The driver and front passenger seats in my 2002 Honda CR-V EX 4A rock slightly when I accelerate and/or come to a stop. The Honda dealer I bought it from is trying to tell me this is normal and says it is the same way in the other CR-V's he has on the lot. Since I have had so much trouble with the service department of this dealer, I was wondering if this could possibly be true. Is he trying to get out of a repair or refund? Or is this in fact a "safety design" to eliminate whiplash as the service manager is trying to tell me?
    Jvkalra - That's why I wonder about the 6 dBA difference between the C&D test and Edmund's data. If you're willing to spend $1,000, then you probably won't mind swapping out the OEM tires for a set of the Michelin X-ones for about $500.

FWIW, I found the noise levels in the CR-V to be perfectly acceptable at highway speeds.

Why doesn't Honda use only the BFG's? Because they can. The Bridgestones are apparently readily available to them and, while they may be noisier, they are generally a better truck tire.

Susanlm - According to a poster at the CR-V IX, the bushings that connect the seat to the rail may become warn out way too easily. I haven't seen anything to confirm this yet, but that's the rumor. The CR-V seat does have a new design to help prvent whiplash, but I have serious doubts that it is responsible for the movement of the seatback.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Don't overinflat the tires. Honda says 26 psi and its pretty quiet on my car to 80 mph.

I have 2000 miles on those Duellers now, seem to be quieter than when new.
  • bonypartebonyparte Member Posts: 30
    An increase of 6 dB is twice the amplitude. Some people think it is 3 dB, but it is not. It is 6 dB.
    In any case, I've put down a deposit on a '02 CR-V and just waiting for it to arrive. But I am really concerned about some of these problems being reported. I realize that any new car is going to have some 'bugs', but in many respects, this is not a totally new car for Honda - it is a redesign. And from what I gather, the previous model used the same type tires. Along with the headliner problems, ABS light coming on, seat rocking, rough ride (differing opinions on this, I guess).
    Could it be that Honda, in an attempt to get something out as quickly as possible to match the stiff competition (when the CR-V was first introduced there was really no competition) that Honda has put an inferior product (inferior to their standards/reputation) on the market?
    Heat will cause the pressure to increase in the tires - so, if overinflated to begin with, the tires could gain 5-10 psi. while driving at highway speed. Could lead to a rough noisy ride. Does that sound correct? I do quite a bit of highway driving and do NOT want a rough noisy ride. I've never had a car that I had to overly concern myself with what tire or pressure was used - as long as it was a good quality and properly inflated.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I think higher tire pressure would actually reduce road noise, since there is less rubber contact with the road at higher pressure. Using an extreme example, try driving on flat tires. You'd be able to really hear the tires.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    = twice the amount of power. If 6dB then 4 times the power (2*2). So if we were at 60dB and went to 66dB it would be 4 times more powerful. But you must remember that the human ear does not pick up noises linearly.
  • rocky5656rocky5656 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks to everyone for the info on my 99 CRV about road noise and trailer wiring. I'll have to live with the Bridgestones for now, too much tread to trade off. I've had BFG's before, Radial T/A 's, rode okay, seemed to have low noise level, but I found when they were 3/4 worn out they developed lots of "wobble", which would indicate an inferior casing.
    One interesting thing was mentioned by a Toyota salesman when I said I was condidering a CRV, he said "Oh, they have Bad transmissions!" Anything to this? Funny things can be said by competing salespeople. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Toyota may have up to 3.3 million sludge issues to deal with soon. That salesman is crazy to even be bringing it up!

-juice
    Some people seem to think that the only correct place for the gear shifter (automatic) is in a center console. Anyone who thinks that way could see the CR-V's transmission as "bad."

Overall reliability for the past CR-Vs has been great. Pick up the Consumer Reports guide and see for yourself, especially the row of "bullseyes" under the transmission category. For the sake of complete disclosure, here are all the significant technical issues I am aware of for the first-generation CR-V:

1) 1997 models had marginal vacuum capacity for the cruise control, leading to loss of speed on steep inclines.
    2) Many brand-new CR-V owners complained of a pulling to the right (PTTR). The PTTR issues seem to have been attributed to bad alignments from the factory, bad tires, or a combination of both.
    3) The published change interval for the rear-differential fluid (RT4WD models) is 90,000 miles. Enough anectdotal evidence exists to suggest that intervals of 30,000 miles is more realistic to avoid problems.

The Toyota salesperson should have just stuck to dismissing the CR-V as too minivan-like.
  • PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    Have driven both of these vehicles . . . and cannot decide. Yes, I know they're different sizes - but not in class. I can buy the Highlander for $500 above invoice. I can buy the CR-V EX for $500 below MSRP. The Highlander would be the FWD; The CR-V, the 4-wheel. The CR-V has the side bags, the 6 cd player, and a much stronger feeling to it. The fit and finish of the CR-V is better, I believe. Anyone have any ideas on this? Pete
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I would go for the EX in a heartbeat. A base HL 4 would be too gutless, plain and homely, bordering on ugly. Besides, I think interior volume would actually be less than the CR-V.
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Can anyone tell me what model and year toyotas are affected by the sludge issue. Thanks.
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Thanks rockycow.
  • hpc1hpc1 Member Posts: 7
    Am about to pick up my CR-V silver EX this week. Just wanted to let the Chicago people on this board know what a good experience I've had so far with John Folga at Ed Napleton. Not only have I gotten a good deal on the car despite its popularity in Chicago, he has gone to bat for me getting me the silver one in a short time by doing a trade with another dealership instead of making me wait for it to come in from the manufacturer weeks later. I have pestered him a number of times regarding accessories and pricing and he has been patient and polite the whole time. I am not sure what other people's experiences are like with Ed Napleton but I can at least say that John has been cool to deal with so far. Everyone's dealings with car sales people are different so I can't even promise that if you go to him you'll have as good of an experience as I've had so far, but I thought I should nevertheless say something on this board to show my appreciation of his efforts, and let other Chicagoans know of him to try him out. The dealership web site is fairly useful also, shows the invoice and msrp prices for the cars.
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Toyota, owners spar over sludge

From Automotive News Online

February 08, 2002

By Joe Kohn

-----

More than 3,000 Toyota owners have been at loggerheads with the automaker because of a buildup of sludge in their engines. Toyota is in the unusual position of having to defend its quality.

To read more about this topic go to http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=1534

For news headlines throughout the business day, go to: http://www.automotivenews.com

Information needed for Class Action Lawsuit:

1. Date of purchase of vehicle

2. Type of engine in vehicle

3. Dates of oil changes and at what mileage intervals

4. Date first noticed problems (smoke, oil light...) and at what mileage interval

5. Dates and summary of what Toyota repair facility did

6. Did you write letters, provide proof, or get anything in writing from Toyota

7. Did you go to arbitration

8. Where is your vehicle now

9. What monetary damages has this caused

10. What other type of damage has this caused (time, inconvenience, stress...)

Rami Amaro, Attorney at Law

1424 Sherman Ave, Suite 200

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho 83814

Tele: (208) 667-4002

Fax: (209) 667-9992

Email: Amarolaw@msn.com jlamaro@aol.com

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Like vultures at a carcass. If I see another post or thread devoted to this Toyota engine problem (which is 3 weeks old, by the way), I'm going to whine in caps.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    I too am pondering the decision of either the 6 cyl. Highlander or the CR-V. Much to my wife’s dismay I’ve discounted the 4 cyl. HL. The reasons as vain as they sound are as follows: The HL seems to be a more upscale car and getting it with the 4 cyl is akin to getting a nice Lexus with cloth seats. For me it just didn’t seem a right match. The CR-V image fits a 4 cyl, for which I think Honda’s are world’s bests. The CR-V is lighter, economical and durable looking especially with it’s darker color cloth.
    So I’m torn between paying $4500 more for a HL 2WD V6 or being more economical and getting the CR-V EX. The HL is luxurious inside and out with an awesome quiet ride. The CR-V looks and feels very durable (easy to clean and hide dirt) something I value having a 4 year old boy, tons of storage space, the back seat are more comfortable but that is compromised by having my rear view blocked by the headrests. You can’t go wrong with either one. The CR-V seems a bargain even at MSRP. The HL at near $30K sticker has a stick antenna, no 4WD, single CD, no side airbag, no leather but it’s a Toyota, which is worth a lot.
    All that said I’m still leaning towards the HL because it’s about as close to owning a Lexus as I’ll ever come.

Steve
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I know we are all different...but....

"buying such a vehicle would mean we couldn't take it for any trips out of town"

Really...?

I have to TOTALLY disagree! We have a 2000 SE which is noisier, but it sure isn't THAT bad!

I think you are the RARE exception!

I have heard ZERO complaints from my customers on this issue.
    Slugline - Are you sure about that dual pump fluid interval? I though it was recommended at 60K, not 90. Regardless, 30K is the best idea.
    In California there is no cooling off period when you buy a car.Once you sign the papers you are
    stuck.What if you never actually take possession
    of the vehicle?In this case I did all the paper
    work but the car is still at the service department because it needed some parts replaced because it was on display at the auto show.Meanwhile I am driving the car I traded in.I did this because 2002 CRV EX is hard to come by,
    at least in San Diego.
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    sorry if I upset you with my toyota posts. It does seems that the issue is not "old hat" to every one. Just trying to be helpful.
    rockycow
  • bonypartebonyparte Member Posts: 30
    Will Honda dealers swap out tires? Like between the Bridgestone and Goodyear? Does Honda just put one brand on their cars shipped to the US? If I were to ask my dealer what he thought would be the best tire for the '02 CR-V, do you think he would give me a reliable answer? Is it too soon to have any research onto what tires are best for the CR-V?
  • jhom1jhom1 Member Posts: 1
    Does that mean you are having second thoughts regarding the purchase of that Red EX? I'm in the San Diego Area and yes it's like pulling teeth just to get MSRP.

I just purchased a Silver LX AWD with SSRS this last weekend frm a dealer in KM and the salesman drove a Grn EX up to Riverside to get my crv in exchange. I wonder if that Grn EX might have been the one you had first thought about getting.
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    It would be good if you avoided references such as "you're the RARE exception" etc, and stick to your opinion of the CR-V instead. I don't doubt that you are selling all the CR-Vs that you can get hold of. Even the older model had no trouble selling, even though it was a very noisy vehicle.

At this point in time, having driven Hondas for many years, I'm looking for a little more refinement, which includes a quiet ride in the city and on the freeway. And before I get any suggestions about looking elsewhere (Highlander, MDX) etc, no, I'm not interested in those big vehicles. If I have a choice between the CR-V and our other vehicle(a quieter sedan), of course I'm going to take the sedan on trips out of town because of the much quieter freeway ride.

Besides my personal experience, I have read numerous comments on this board and others about the 2002 CR-V being very noisy on the freeway. I have to assume that those people probably elected not to buy the 2002 CR-V for that reason, or now regret having bought one.

Likewise, I'm sure there are plenty of people who have no problems with the noise level, and are happy owners. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the CR-V is Lexus-quiet in the city, but I wish it wasn't so noisy to my ears on the freeway.
  • altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    for their new CR-V. I waited around 21/2 months and finally picked up my new CR-V last week. I know what you are going through. You read these boards and fret over every problem that people write about..noises, rocking seats, holes in the tire well, etc... It is easy to start second guessing yourself. Well, I just wanted to say that I really like my CR-V and my wife likes it even more than I do. So far there are no sounds that I can't live with and no problems to speak of. It is not a perfect vehicle (none are - they are all a series of compromises) but it has exceeded my expectations. It looks and feels great and I am proud to drive it (when my wife lets me). I just wanted to offer some encouragement to those of you who are waiting.
    90,000 miles . . . amazing, but true. <GRIN> I have the 1997-2000 Service Manual sitting next to my PC right now. For "normal consitons," the listed interval is 90k-mi; "severe conditions" call for the 60 k-mi interval. Still don't believe me? Load up http://www.hondanews.com and look for the 9/15/00 press release called "2001 Honda CR-V -- Transmission." (Town Hall software won't let me include a proper link.)

Know what's even more amazing, but true? Under normal conditions, the transmission fluid is supposed to last 90,000 miles too. I wonder how many dealer service departments are in line with THAT recommendation?
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    If any of you fellow 2002 Crv owners are interested, I would relate my experiences with the Honda HRV, Stream, Stepvan, and Jazz- all of which I was able to examine very closely this past week in Hong Kong. ( Hong Kong, next to NY, possibly the 2nd most interesting city on Earth...) I also have English language color brochures on each.........