Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Navigation and Electronics

12346»

Comments

• cdetorecdetore Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Navigation/GPS for the otlander works in Europe/Spain? I just bought one yesterday currlently in the US, but will be moving and shipping the vehicle to Spain soon. I tried scrolling over on the map but it runs out of map area when trying to see other countries except Canada etc.... Will I need a specific update for Europe? Any help is appreciated.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    You will need maps for Europe if you plan to bring your vehicle there. As to map availability, you need to check with a Spanish/Europe dealer about it, but there's a good chance you'll find one since Outlander in Europe have the MMCS as an option too.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    How does the Outlander GPS really work? GPS needs maps and maps are updates from time to time. Quite sure after, let’s say 3 years, the maps (USA & Canada) used in a 2007 Outlander XLS will be obsolete. So what should we do? Buy a new Outlander? Order a new 30GB HHD? Or what?

For example the GPS in the Mazda CX-9 works by loading DVD with maps on it. When this DVD is in it you are able to use the GPS, now when you want to listening music in DVD you just take away the previous DVD (maps) and insert the music DVD. You will be able to use the GPS + listen music. Are these DVD (maps) bought from any retailer (e.g. Garmin) or it has to be a Mazda DVD (maps)?

Somebody should know how the GPS in the Outlander works and this message is directed to them. Any help?
  • wheel_dawgwheel_dawg Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking at buying an 08 Outlander XLS with the Navigation system. I'm wondering how most people load music to the unit, since I'm pretty ignorant about digital music. I have quite a few songs through I*tunes - can those be moved over somehow? Can you load from CD's? What's the best way?

Thanks.
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    You can only load from CD.
  • busta4busta4 Member Posts: 35
    Lame.
  • dmood10xdmood10x Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 Outlander with the Nav System. Could someone please instruct me on how to turn down the Big Voice giving directions plus she sounds mean how can I change the language. I appreciate any and all guidance.
  • lyonsmic1lyonsmic1 Member Posts: 1
    Does this make any sense? I just bought a 2008 Outlander XLS that is fully loaded including the Video Entertainment System. I've had the car for a week and so far love it, however I am unable to get any audio from the video entertainment system to play through the car's speakers. I took it into my local Mitsubishi dealership and after scratching their head for a bit, told me that in order to get the audio to play through the speakers, I would have to pay $310 as this is an upgrade to the dvd system. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I can only listen to the DVD system using headphones? Has anyone else had a problem playing their dvd system through the car's audio system or has been told by the dealership that this is an optional feature?
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    You might get a better response if you put this request under the right category (not under this thread for heat and AC problems)
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    I do not have the entertainment system but believe you need to put the system into aux for the rear jacks to play through the system. This is how you would get an MP3 to work as well
    Odometer (MMCS):

I expect to be in Chile for a number of years with my Outlander XLS 4WD 2008. In order to gain a Chilean number plate it is required that the Mileage counter counts in Kilometres instead of Miles. Because the actual vehicle mileage is controlled by the CPU ( I think) of the car electronically and displayed as a LED light in the control panel I wonder if there is a way to make this conversion as happens presently by changing Celsius to Fahrenheit, English to Spanish or French, fuel consume in miles or kilometres per hour, etc.

Could some members provide a comment on this or suggest something that may lead to a solution.
  • kopkop Member Posts: 1
    How do i go about installing a back up camera ?? I would love to get some direction on this point.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I know they sell aftermarket ones. I was looking at one at Sam's club the other day. If you mean tying into the factory nav, can't help you there.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • berkshiregrlberkshiregrl Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 Outlander with the rear DVD but not the Navigation system. I cannot figure out any way to have the kids be able to LISTEN to a DVD they are watching. I bought speakers and connected them to the adio outputs and tried every setting but nothing produced any sound. Can I buy wireless headphones? Will THEY work? Has anyone found away to listen to this thing?
  • markusimarkusi Member Posts: 1
    I bought Alpine IR wireless headphones for $50/each at BestBuy.ca and they work great on the system. Don't buy the ones from your dealer they are over $100/piece and don't fit as comfortably. The nice thing is that the kids can sit in the back and watch a DVD and I can still listen to my music in the front! Make sure when you are buying wireless headphones that they are Infra-red or they will not work.
  • berkshiregrlberkshiregrl Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I am going to try this as we still have never used this system.
    Maybe someone with an Outlander can answer my question. I started my '07 Outlander LS last night, and the Daytime running lamps didn't come on. The dash lights worked, and the lights worked with the switch. I checked them today, same thing. Then, when I started the car later, the lights came on. After restartin and checking the lights a few times, it seems that if the parking brake is on, the DRL's don't come on. With the brake off, they work. Is this a coincidence and something wrong with my lights, or are the DRL's supposed to be off until the parking brake is released and car in gear?
    The manual says the same that you said. There is nothing wrong with your DRL. The 2010 Outlander has the same signature.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    DRL = Daytime Running Lights. If the parking brake is on you won't be moving i.e. "running" so there's no reason for them to come on. Seems like normal behavior to me. If you want I can try it on my '10 GT tomorrow to confirm but I'm guessing it is by design.

This is similar to having the fog lights go off when you turn on your hi-beams. The fogs are ineffective when the hi-beams are on so the system is smart enough to turn off the fog lights if you turn on the hi-beams.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • soldier37soldier37 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Outlander with the in dash DVD in the MMCS. I can hear the DVD sound while I drive but the video does not play for safety reasons. Does anyone know how to bypass so that the video plays while I drive?
  • deadsteendeadsteen Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Outlander w/ Nav systemand 30gig hard drive. I am starting to listen to books on CD in the car and do not want to take up space on the hard drive recording them, though I would still like it to record music when I put in a new CD.

I have been unable to find anything in the on screen menus for that.
    Does anyone know how to disabled the automatic recording feature when you put in a CD? Thank you...
  • deadsteendeadsteen Member Posts: 3
    I hope it is not possible! I do not want to be on the road with someone who has a video on in their peripheral vision as they are driving!!
    I know it can be disabled in the '10; I'm just not sure what menu it's buried under. If you don't have your manual handy, you can try downloading it it if's available: http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners-site/manuals.do
  • ny_outlanderny_outlander Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know where they mounted the Sirius module for the 6 disc "premium" radio? I imagine it's separate from the radio because I don't think Canada gets the option and I doubt MMNA would make completely separate radios. I would like to disconnect and hopefully remove the sirius station selections from my radio display. The new FUSE system is Fantastic IMO and I use the bluetooth audio streaming to stream Pandora and Sprint Radio right from my phone. Playing music on my phone, getting in and turning the key, my music is piped through the stereo. I can even change the song selection from the radio buttons. But those 4 sirius station menus are annoying to thumb past. Is there any way to disable Sirius?
  • bassamsrbassamsr Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    I have Outlander 2008 GLX 2.4 L Highline, I want to put a navigator system to be replace with my 6-CD , Radio system.
    Is it possible and from where I can get it?
    please advice.
  • bassamsrbassamsr Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have outlander 2008 GLX 2.4Litre Highline, with 6 CD system
    I wanna replace it with Navigator, DVD system
    First is it possible
    and from where I can Purchase it
    thanks
  • bluejeep42bluejeep42 Member Posts: 9
    Hi folks,

Just purchased a 2010 Outlander, so far so good with one exception. The radio reception is HORRBLE, we are only able to get 3- 4 FM stations in any location. I'd be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing this.

I did check the owners manual and made a small adjustment to the roof antenna but I don' think it's going to help.

Thanks in advance !
    Are you wanting the nav system that Mitsu sold in the 2008 Outlander or are you wanting a 3rd party unit? For a 3rd party unit, start at Crutchfield.com.

I don't know the '08 Outlander as I have a 2010. But in th e'10 the nav unit has a different instrument panel since most controls were consolidated into the screen. I'm not sure what implications that would have for going from a non-nav setup to one with nav.
    AM & FM reception in my '10 GT has been fine. Not particularly different than the car it replaced. I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I get the powerful city radio stations with no problems. The suburban station I listen to most often can be received just fine most of the way into the city, which is basically how the old car was.

That said, most often I'm using satellite or the music server.

My suggestions would be to keep fiddling with the antenna (try cleaning the contacts where it screws in as well) and to, if they're close by, try to do a side-by-side with another Outlander on the dealer's lot to see if it's unique to your stereo or not. If your stereo won't receive a station when the car next to it does, you'd have the beginnings of a case to get the head unit and/or antenna replaced should it prove necessary.
    Good advice, thanks. I'll start with the antenna.
    The FM reception in our '07 Outlander isn't very good, either. Haven't tried to do anything about it, we use the Sirius or listen to CD's.
    For whatever reason, the dealer didn't install the antenna, the "plug" was left from the factory. Needless to say, it is working fine now.

Many thanks, fushigi, for your advice. It pointed me in the right direction.
    Check the antenna :), it was missing on the 2010 Outlander.
    You're welcome. As I posted in the 2010 thread, I just crossed 10K miles in my GT and haven't had any problems worth noting so far. I don't expect any either, as my prior car - a '99 Galant - was practically trouble-free over 152K miles and 10+ years.

Enjoy!
    Oh there's an antenna there. Maybe part of it is the the loss of sound clarity going from satellite to antenna signal.
  • vman112vman112 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Outlander without Navi, but with Rockford sound. Does anyone know if I can get Navigation added? Do I need to go to the dealer?
    On the 2010s, the center stack is different for nav v. non-nav vehicles. I'm assuming the 2009 is similar.

All the buttons & the LED display in the regular center stack are replaced by the single movable touchscreen on nav-equipped cars (see pics 7 & 11 for nav & 13 for regular at http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/outlander/10/index.do#/?page=interior_gal- lery). While the RF stereo "core" would probably remain untouched (just the control panel being replaced), I would guess that the cost to replace the control unit, dash panels, etc. would be very high.

In this case I'd recommend a good portable GPS instead. Or use a smartphone that provides GPS services. If you use Sprint and have an Everything Data plan GPS services are at no extra charge.
  • ny_outlanderny_outlander Member Posts: 16
    Besides, the Mitsubishi NAV really sucks. The maps are outdated by 2 years even on a brand new purchase (a new 2010 Outlander has 2008 map data) and the thing can't navigate you to the corner store unless it's in a shopping center or you know the address.

Go smartphone, at least the maps are current and if you get an android, for instance, you can use voice to navigate.
  • annis_2006annis_2006 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    My Outlander's navigation unit works okay for the most part, but when I try to input a destination it takes 5 minutes to load all the POI's. When it FINALLY does, it usually closes the screen and goes back to the map. It does this more often when I'm typing in the name of my POI, cutting me off halfway through. It takes about 4 or so tries to get it to actually work. This is incredibly frustrating due to the insane price I paid to get this package.

Does this happen with other Outlanders or is it just mine?

Is there a way to make it stop doing this? ANY thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

As for the head unit DVD player:

I have tried putting the key in every position with the car in every gear and it will NOT play DVDs. I can see a picture for a split second and hear the audio continuously. It accepts the DVD and gives me an error message essentially saying that it will not play DVDs when moving (regardless of the gear I'm in).

I can't remember what the message is exactly, but it's quite polite and is also very frustrating. Not sure if something got hooked something up wrong during installation (which would be weird because it looks like it's just a few wire harnesses), if it needs to be updated or just needs to be curb-stomped.

Any thoughts on this would also be much appreciated.

Thoughts?
  • kricciokriccio Member Posts: 1
    I want to know the same thing on how to remove the appearances from the display. I found the sirus module behind the glove compartment and I disconnected the wires from it figuring that would do it but the appearances still show up on the display .
  • alfonzogalfonzog Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07' Outlander with the Rockford Fosgate Nav/DVD system. Was playing laptop sound through the aux inputs at rear of arm rest. After unplugging laptop i get no sound from any speakers. Still turns on, navigation still works, just no sound at all. Not even the little beeps when making selections, and no voice prompts from bluetooth phone activation. Can anyone help?
    Sounds like everything is working except for what actually pushes sound to the speakers. With that in mind, I'd guess the problem is related to the amplifier.

Check the amplifier fuse first. Then the amp itself.
  • dave87120dave87120 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any complaints with the in dash stock Hardrive radio? Seems strange that many of the same class competitors hasn't followed suit with one: Forester/Rav4/CRV/Sportage etc.
    I've got the navi and RF stereo with the HD in my GT. After just about 2 years & nearly 100 CDs ripped to it I've no complaints. It's worked fine in Chicagoland's hot summers & cold winters. Well, I've one complaint: That I can't copy MP3s directly from the USB port to the HD. It rips normal CDs only; if you have purchased MP3s you have to create an audio CD from them & then have the stereo rip it. As that's a minor hassle I've instead left purchased MP3s on a thumb drive I leave plugged in.

Anyway, for music storage Mitsu is one of very few automakers that gives you the option of internal storage on your stereo. Chrysler's MyGIG is another. Most automakers basically don't give the option and simply require the owner to provide their tunes via something that plugs into the USB port or streams over BlueTooth.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    My wife has a new Infiniti that you can rip CDs to...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dave87120dave87120 Member Posts: 6
    I don't know. It seems like a no brainer to me, to be able to store audio files on a hardrive to play from and rip to at will. Then there's no need for an external mp3 player. I'm curious to find out why its not a big hit especially since hardrives and high storage are so cheap. A terabyte is only $50 bux.
    A few of points:

Hard drive prices aren't what they were two months ago. The Thailand flooding has seen to that. As a commodity item, hard drive prices fluctuate a lot and automakers like to keep costs as fixed as possible over a production run. Look at the price of a 1TB drive right now; the cheapest 1TB desktop drive right now at Newegg is $139.

3.5" desktop drives are inappropriate for automotive use. They are too large and aren't ruggedized to withstand the vibrations & temperature changes that come with automotive use. Example: Most desktop drives aren't designed to work below freezing. They can also throw off a lot of heat. Some 2.5" laptop are ok, but my guess is the automakers are using 1.8" drives which command a price premium over their larger brethren.

Adding recording capability raises complexity both in hardware & software; there's more stuff to design & more chances for something to break (or have bugs). So it costs more to build and has potentially higher costs due to warranty work.

Put all of that together & compare it to the cost of adding a USB port & letting the consumer supply the device. Support for MP3 decoding is a sunk cost as the codecs are already used for things like decompressing satellite radio signals.
  • tedmar2811tedmar2811 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Outlander 2010 without NAVI . I'm going to replace the factory installed AM / FM radio for the NAVI unit from eBay - cost about $ 300
    Does that make sense, or buy more expensive unit for about $ 600? Is there a difference in the use of this devices, or maybe this operation will affect the warranty?
    Does anyone have this have any previous experience?
    Without knowing what model nav systems you're talking about it's hard to offer much advice. Are you talking about the OEM system - Mitsu's nav -- and one from a 2010 Outlander or a 3rd party nav/stereo?

Regarding warranty, if you replace the stereo you won't have a stereo warranty but that's it. The warranty for the rest of the car is unaffected. If you buy a 3rd party unit then the nav would be covered by whatever that manufacturer offers, if anything. FWIW if you had the dealer install a Mitsu unit it would come with at least a 1 year warranty (pretty much all parts installed by the dealer carry at least a 1-year warranty).

Note that the OEM nav shipped with map data from 2008 IIRC so if you're buying a Mitsu nav you might also want to order the $200 map upgrade from your local Mitsu dealer. I haven't upgraded my maps yet but probably will before the summer driving season starts.

If cost is a factor and you're satisfied with the stereo but just want a nav unit, you might be better off getting a nice Garmin or other brand portable GPS and just live without having nav integrated.
  • fastgstfastgst Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2012
    A dealer tell me they stock a bunch of the Navigation unit and it is same across the different cars like Lancer, Evo etc. The sales said they can put it into an outlander. I seriously doubt this will be done correctly, there is video input on the factory installed cars in the center console and I know you can get this part swapped out but I doubt they will know.

Now on the outlander factory system there is a backup camera which would require wiring through the hatch lid and drilling on the rear hatch.. That said on a premium package on the SE or called Touring package on the GT has rear camera already, but it appears on the mirror. So pretty sure this is a pre-requirement although I don't know how it will conflict with the special mirror with LCD on it.

The sales would tell me anything to close the deal but I think I am going to avoid this now, too bad it is rather difficult to find one with a Navigation. What are your thoughts on this?