Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Navigation and Electronics

Comments

• djlonodjlono Member Posts: 11
    I spoke to my dealer. He asked me to bring the car during the weekday to check the radio unit. :confuse: Should I write a letter directly to MMNA? :confuse:
  • blackb13blackb13 Member Posts: 35
    You don't have to write a letter. Just call the 800 corporate number.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    For those of you regretting the Outlander purchase due to this problem, read the thread below and maybe you'll feel a bit better.
    RAV4 Radio issue
    I'm not regretting my purchase, but I don't feel any better because Toyota's are having the same issue. I do appreciate the fact that MMNA cares about fixing the problem though...unlike Toyota.

I frankly don't care how MMNA fixes it, I just want it fixed.
    I understand, but I read posts where people feel that purchasing Honda or Toyota all the troubles would have been eliminated - radio, mirror rattle, wind noise, front clunk.
    I think each vehicle, especially in its first production year, has some sort of problems. To be true, from what I read so far on RAV4, CRV and Oulander forums, Outlander's issues are the least severe.
    Mitsu will probably address all this issues sooner rather than later.
  • zontarhzontarh Member Posts: 9
    This is what happens when you buy a first year product. I'm sure the 2008 Outlanders will have all the bugs worked out

The Outlander has been available in Japan since 2005 so by now there shouldn't be any bugs left unless there were far more before which have already been fixed.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Japan's Outlander is not 100% the same as what we have in the US. They do have the steering clunk issue there, but we really don't know what % of the Outlanders in Japan have it. I doubt that problem was on majority of the Outlanders, because if it was, it should have been fixed by now. Mitsu warrants their vehicles, so it's pretty silly to continue assembling defective products and have it repaired after, which will be more costly than have it fixed in the assembly line. So this must be a new thing, or not very prevalent at least. Taking the radio unit as an example, Japan radio units are not the same as what we have. Theirs have a TV tuner, ours don't, so we can't go and say well the Outlander has been in Japan since 2005, how come they haven't fixed this damn radio issue before shipping it to the US. I hope you understand my point.
    I'm fully aware of the fact that the Outlander was launched in Japan in October 2005 as a 2006 model.
    However, the North American version is not IDENTICAL with the Japanese version. One obvious difference is that Japan does not have the V6 engine. Fitting a V6 engine in the same engine bay requires mechanical changes. I'm pretty sure that there are other less visible changes to the vehicle, especially on the tuning side and other mechanicals, maybe materials, etc.
    While I agree that most part of it is the same, any changes made would make it a slightly different vehicle so technically, the North American version is indeed in its first production year.
    Funny ..... I was writing when you posted. :)
    You guys have a point with the different components for different countries I've read somewhere that the Euro models have a revised suspension more suited to Europe (what's the difference across the pond?). Could this be a discrete way of saying we had to address the front end clunk I wonder!
    In general, the roads are different in Europe. Much less straight line highways and more twisty roads. Also, in some European countries some bad roads. In general, the Europeans are more into sporty handling rather than cushy ride.
    My 2 cents only....
    I think you're right, on TV car reviews here in the UK they always refer to a car with soft suspension as American Like, but I always assumed they were talking of the days of old before any european and Japanese models became popular.
    Ok. Thanks. I will call MMNA.
    Do You have the basic radio?
    ... and they are right if they refer to most (not all) of the domestic cars/SUVs and even some Japanese cars designed for the NA market - see Toyota.
    Luckily companies like Mazda and Mitsu are bringing over exciting cars and hopefully GM and Ford will bring over some of their European models. And they better not alter them in transit because it would defeat the purpose.
  • slaigoslaigo Member Posts: 18
    Hi guys,

I have the XLS without the NAVI, only the 6CD changer. I have tried hooking my IPOD using an FM transmitter. The sound quality is not very good.

Today, I popped the back cover of the center console in the hope that I can find a prewired harness for the audio input jack that is available if you have the NAVI. The cover is held by plastic plugs that you can pop out. Here is what I found inside:

A 5-wire harness with receptacle colored black with the following colored wires: a) Blue, b) Blue with silver streak, c)Black, d) White and e) brown wire with silver streak.

Is Anybody out there who knows what the color coded wires are for.

Thanks
    There should be an RCA jack too, without messing up with anonymous wires.
    Just wired my ipod directly to a wire harness at the back of the center console.

I did not have the RCA audio jacks, I believe these jacks are available only on those with NAVI or the fosgate upgrades. I only have the 6CD changer and the back cover of the console did not have the audio jacks.

As I mentioned earlier, I was able to pop open the back cover and found a 5-wire receptacle. the 5 wires are separated in two sections, the first section has two and the second section has three. I think the two wires at the first section is for video. I used the second section with the three wires, the third wire is for the jack shield, the other two are for left and right channels.

I could not find a mating plug for the 5-wire receptacle at Radio shack and I ended up plugging three individual solid wires into the receptacle. I then soldered the ends of these solid wires to an I pod connector jack cable. Plugged my Ipod and placed my 6cd radio to AUX and turned my Ipod on. It worked. Took me the whole afternoon as I did not have the parts handy after popping the back cover open.

Pop the cover back and went to see the movie 300 with my wife.
    Sorry didn't catch that. It's good you got it working. Can you give out the details which wires are for the L or R channel and which for GND etc? so at least that will become a reference for others without the RCA jacks.
    Sorry,

I did not pay any attention to the wire colors, but here are the receptacle orientation:

Looking from the top, left to right:

1. First two holes in the first section are separated by blank space from the three holes on the second section. So let us just say 1 2 S 3 4 5.

2. The 5th hole is for the shield.

3. The 3rd and 4th holes are for either left/right or right/left channels, not sure which is left or right. I suppose if you are a sterio buff you would care. Sorry, I did not have the patience to test it.

By the way it is better to use stranded wires instead of solid wires to plug into the receptacle, as stranded wires are flexible. Just make sure you solder the tip you want to insert to make it rigid. As to the wire size, I used #16 and I stripped a few strands to make a snug fit into the holes.

I used a prewired Ipod compatible with male plug at both ends, I cut one end to exposed the three wires and soldered these wires to the ends of the wires that are plugged into the receptacle. I could have used a female Ipod compatible jack and mount it at the back of the cover (I might still do it some other time) so that I would not have this dangling cable.

I secured the cable inside the back cover by tieng it with a rubber band to the snap-in slot where the receptacle was being secured ( I could have used a tie wrap, but I did not have one).

Hope this explains everything I did, if not, try sending me email for other details.
  • shooplashoopla Member Posts: 7
    Did you happen to notice what type of antenna input was on the back of the receiver? Was it standard or some sort of multipin/proprietary connector? I have a wired "modulator" cable for my pnp Sirius receiver that plugs into the car's receiver antenna input and cuts out the car's antenna when the unit is powered up, thus eliminating the interference from broadcast stations. Kind of like a cheap AUX input alternative. It worked like a charm on my '03 Lancer I traded in. Thanks.
    I did not access the receiver, only the wire harness for audio/video input behind the center console cover.

Don't know about the receiver antenna input. Sorry can't help.
    By center console I mean the armrest. Sorry for the confusion.
    Does anyone have Radio Clarity Issue fixed? :confuse:
  • ibex22ibex22 Member Posts: 3
    I have the Fosgate package without the Navi. I do see the jacks that can be accessed from the back seat. If I get this cable will it work with the non-nav head unit? If so how does it work?
    Press the CD button and hold for 2 secs then wait for the display to show "AUX". To exit "AUX" mode, press either CD or AM/FM button.
  • ibex22ibex22 Member Posts: 3
    That worked! Thank you so much. When I asked the salesman about this he said seemed to think that it didn't have a aux and that they would have to hook it up. lol.
  • random42random42 Member Posts: 5
    I have the Outlander LS with the base radio and I am trying to figure out how to remove it or at least get access to the back. I want to install a Sirius FM Direct Adapter and need access to the antenna plug.
    Anyone have any idea on how to gain access?

Thanks
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    I don't know, but you can ask a dealer's technician or see if MBNA will sell you a service manual. I always buy one with a new vehicle; even if only used a few times, it can easily pay for itself in labor cost avoidance for simple things like that.
    Does MBNA sell an electrical manual for this kind of stuff?
    What's MBNA?
    http://www.mitsubishiforum.com/m_124086/tm.htm
    It should be similar for the base radio.
  • eagleboybeneagleboyben Member Posts: 4
    Remove the grills on either side of the radio panel first. The bottom of each panel has a tiny slot to show you where to insert a small flat pry tool. After the bottom pops out the tops comes out easily. USE CAUTION - Dash material scratches easily. The smoother the pry tool the better.

Next remove the two screws, now exposed, which hold the radio surround panel in place. Pull on both side where you just took the screws out and the bottom of that panel pops out. Then while the bottom is pulled out a few inches pull on each side of the top and it will pop out as well.

Now you have exposed the 4 screws which hold the radio or nav unit in place. Remove those and the unit will slide out the front quite easily. There is plenty of length to those cables, so if it gets stuck comming out it just means one of the cable connectors snagged on something. Try to wiggle the unit or the wires and it will free it up. As best as I could tell the radio antenae cable has a standard connector which will match that of an FM modulator for sat hookup.

Also of note is that there is quite a bit of space behind my nav unit so there should be plently of room to locate the little modulator box.

ITS EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS. Go one step at a time and you should have no problem. Best of luck!

Ben :shades: :shades: :shades: ;)
    Thanks for the help. It was simple to remove once I knew how.
    :D
  • eagleboybeneagleboyben Member Posts: 4
    Glad to be of assistance. :D

Ben
    I've got one of those Sirius modulator boxes, too.
    So, does the base (non-nav, 6 disc) stereo have a "standard" antenna input connector on the back? I can't really tell from tose pictures. Just want to know if I need some adapters before I tear it out this weekend. Thanks
    Never mind, I see you mentioned that in the previous post. One of these days (not today) I'll learn to read. Thanks for your help.
    Update:

MMNA called and left a voicemail for me this morning.

According to the representive, "umm they're actually currently testing the final countermeasure for the radio and hopeful they will have a fix in a small number of replacement units by next month. I am on their list, as a matter of fact, your vehicle was the first vehicle they had with a concern, so I'm pretty sure I will be notified and I will in turn, let you know..."
  • ctgradyctgrady Member Posts: 9
    if you fight radio issue they will give you some money!!!! They gave me two car payments to shut me up until the fix for radios is available. Supposedly it is a software fix. Good luck and call corporate mitsubishi to raise a stink.
  • mitsudrivermitsudriver Member Posts: 12
    I went to the dealer and they gave me a call on Friday. My dealer is contacting Mitsu about the problem. If anyone else gets results please post here!! Thank You.
  • mitsudrivermitsudriver Member Posts: 12
    Sweet!!!
    I found that cable also but I didn't know how to put the radio into AUX so i figured that I couldn't use them.
    I ran out to the car (in the rain) and yes if you hold in the CD button,it goes into AUX!!!!!!!
    I'm going to wire that baby up tomorrow.
    Thank you. :)
  • smoke_1erssmoke_1ers Member Posts: 17
    I think I've got it figured out...in reading all the reports....and now driving my '07 Outlander XLS for 5 days....I've realized what might be causing the problem. I have the upgraded Rockford Fosgate system...and I think the problem lie's in the Automatic Sound Compensation. When the car is stopped, the volume is clear, with the full range heard (highs, mids & lows). As you accelerate, and the road noise increases, the highs cut in and out. I assume that the Automatic Sound Compensation system just needs a software update. I've left a message for Mitsubishi Canada to see if they know of the problem...and if they have any answers.

Has anyone thought of this being the problem...or has Mitsubishi US/Canada mentioned anything about a possible fix?? I'll keep you updated if I hear anything back.
    I have an Ipod nano....and the Monster RCA Cable. I've hooked it up throught the upgraded Rockford system AUX inputs through the back of the centre console (no navi). I noticed that the sound quality crackles a bit on the vocal parts of songs. Anyone else notice this?? Or am I being way too picky about the "fidelity" of the sound system? thanks!
    if you fight radio issue they will give you some money!!!! They gave me two car payments to shut me up until the fix for radios is available.

I don't know how would that be possible with the Outlander as most loans were sold to CenterOne Financial, which has nothing to do with warranty claims except handling your loan payments.
    The sound quality of my Ipod is OK. Don't hear crackling sound, except for some that I think Itune had a problem translating from possibly a bad track on a CD.

If all songs are that way, then I suspect your cable maybe bad. You may also hear some noise if you are charging your Ipod while playing it.
    hmmm.....problem being....is that the cable sounds fine at home on my stereo. When I don't have the cable plugged in, I change to aux on the stereo, and I hear repetitive static & distorsion noises...and I'm wondering if that is normal...or if that is causing the reduced sound quality??

anyone else notice the "white noise" when on aux with no source plugged in??
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    I've been attempting to wire up my Valentine One radar detector in my new Outlander XLS 4WD.

In the past, I have usually found a fuse for some non-vital system (for the Outlander, I chose the 20 ampere sunroof fuse #15), remove the fuse, wrap the positive power wire of the radar detector around one of the two fuse leads, and reinstall the fuse allowing the positive lead wire to be making contact with the one of the two contacts on the fuse female openings.

And the negative wire attached to any ground on the vehicle body.

I thought I had it working until I turned off the ignition and the radar detector stayed on! Not sure why, since the sunroof presumably has no power unless the ignition is on.

I know this is a crude method - but maybe someone with more electrical background why the detector stays powered with the ignition off. (The positive wire is in the lower opening of the 20A sunroof fuse.)

Now if someone knew a specific wire near the fuse box that has power only with the ignition on, I could put one of those special clamps over the wire to make contact and connect the positive wire to that.

Anyone know any good secrets in general on how to wire a radar detector so it is out of the way and relatively unseen?

Bud H
    Can't the ASC be turned off via a setting?

Are all channels affected if you crank the balance/fade controls around? Or perhaps one channel only?

Are all input sources affected?

It could also be a bad solder joint or intermittent component failure from vibration.
    1.) Yes...it doesn't do anything.

2.) All channels, fading, adjusting the tone, etc does nothing

3.) No, only FM radio

4.) Doubt it. My friends Outlander does the same thing. I also demoed a brand new unit while I was getting my bearings replaced and it did the same thing.
  • ctgradyctgrady Member Posts: 9
    no, you need to call corporate mitsubishi. Not who holds your loan. I called and told them that they needed to do something for me. It took a little pushing and several call were made back and forth, but Mitsubishi issued me a check that totals two car payments. That is why I said to call corporate and if you look when the first post was for this issue (jan 19th) they will do something for you. You gotta push a little though.