Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• bradford7bradford7 Member Posts: 4
    I echo other's comments. Where do you live Pamo? I felt pretty good getting a price quote for the 2001 EX at $21,040 4AWD, auto, w/ roof rack, fog lights, passenger arm rest and tinted rear windows. Priced the SE at $21,700 (w/o need for tinted windows add-on). Still haven't purchased or leased. Hoped to lease but no dealer incentives so 3 year lease is at about $370 versus 5 year purchase at $410. I'm hoping for a deal like Pamo now!
  • hhlshhls Member Posts: 10
    I thought the deal I'd found ($19,999 - 2001 CR-V EX w/Automatic INCLUDING Dest. charge) was good until I saw pamo's message. I also notice the dealers in my area (Dallas) have large inventories of CR-V's so it seems they'd be willing to deal even more. What price do you have them down to now, Pamo?? I may hold off and see if the area dealers come down some more.
  • pamopamo Member Posts: 39
    Final price - $19,600 EX automatic, including destination charges. Other dealers would not match that offer, and told me the offer was not bona fide. Car is now home in my garage! I'm in Milwaukee, WI area.
  • shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    Hold all my calls........I'm headed to Milwaukee
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Way to go, Pamo! That's a great deal. Maybe I'll buy another. :-)

For those of us who are Honda fans in general, check out this link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001-02-07-best-deals.htm

Given how few models Honda sells here in the states, the fact that they won 8 categories is pretty good.

On topic note: The CR-V rates top of its class (SUVs under $27K).

• medhondamedhonda Member Posts: 4
    I live on a (now muddy) dirt road. The front wheels coat the side of the car so that when I get in/out I coat my pants. Is there any recommendations for BIG (ala DAKAR) mud flaps?
    I'm not so much concerned with looks as functionality.
    Now another local dealer is advertising $19,670 CRV EX w/dest. chg. Guess I should sit back and see how much further they drop. I'm just anxious to get one now that I've made my decision. I see all you CR-V owners on the road and I'm very envious!!
    hhls - where are you located? I thought I had such a great deal - but sounds like I bought too soon.
  • bradford7bradford7 Member Posts: 4
    New dilemma. CRV 3 year lease puts monthlys at $370 (approx 20k). 3 Year lease on Passport (approx. 26K) is $299 under a new offer of Honda that runs through the end of the month. Deal info is available on Honda's site at special offers. I like the CRV better but like the pricing option of the Passport better. Difference is due to the money factor used on the Passport in order for Honda to move them. CRV's still hot car in Columbus, Ohio and dealers are still getting a premium. Any thoughts on this deal and the two vehicles? Thanks
    Pamo, I'm in Dallas and there is no shortage of Honda dealers in the area so that probably helps with the prices here. I went to another dealer yesterday to see what I could get on my trade-in... it turned out to be a high volume, high pressure dealership... there must have been 40 salesmen (or Lot Lizards as my friend calls them) there. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Really made me appreciate the more professional dealerships.
    Let us know what price you finally negotiate. Just for the record,I am very pleased with my purchase. I bought the car for my daughter - so she is spoiled for life, but I feel she is in a safe, reliable car which I will have hopefully no problems with. I am hoping to get a chance to drive it soon! We are putting the car to the test today - rain, ice and snow all scheduled for this afternoon.
  • satlas31satlas31 Member Posts: 2
    A week ago, my son (driver) and daughter (front-seat passenger) had an accident in my CRV. (The other driver ran a stop sign.) The car was demolished. My daughter walked away with little more than a sore sternum from the airbag deploying, a fleeting soreness in her neck from the shoulder belt, and two slight bruises from the lap belt. My son bruised his pinky! When I arrived, I was in worse shape than they were because I saw the car before I saw them.
    I really liked my CRV before the accident. It is (was) comfortable, agile, and just plain fun to drive. I will be leasing another CRV as soon as the insurance company settles the claim!
    I'll definitely let you know the final deal. I'm glad to hear your happy with your CR-V. I'm really looking forward to getting mine, but I'm also enjoying the "hunt". By the way, Pamo - what color did you get?
  • zyz912zyz912 Member Posts: 6
    Got a car accident yesterday -- my CR-V was hit by a tire which came off from another car running at the opposite direction. Both air bags blew and the fender of left front wheel was broken. How I loved my CR-V! I heard people say that the car will not have the same safety again even after it is fixed since the air bags are no longer factory installed. any idea if it is true? Insurance company insisted to repair my car (it is pretty new only got 3500 miles in 5 months) without caring about my safety concern.

Thanks!
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    If they replace the airbag with a new genuine Honda airbag, then I wouldn't think the safety of the vehicle would be compromised. BTW, that must have been one HUGE tire that hit you to cause the airbags to deploy and to cause that much damage!
    Satlas31 - that is my worst nightmare, and I am glad that your two children walked away from the crash. I can't wait for my daughter to get out of bed(it's a Sat. a.m. here) and have her (and her brother) read your story. She is a good driver, but I can't overly impress upon her how many idiots there are on the road. By the way, what happened to the passengers in the other car?

And HHLS - bought the blue! and it handles great in snow, sleet and rain.
  • satlas31satlas31 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Pamo. The only passenger in the other car was the driver. He was in an '87 Sonoma GMC. He was taken to the emegency room with a shoulder injury. My son hit the passenger side of his truck as the truck went through the stop sign at the intersection. I imagine he had additional injuries, though I can't be sure. He was not wearing a seat belt. Both of my children had theirs on. (Thank goodness that message got through!)
    By the way, just got a quote for a 2001 CRV 2wd-LX at $17,777 plus destination, tax, and fees. What do you think?
    I didn't price the LX model - wanted the ABS and 4wheel drive that the EX offered - I live in cold, snowy, icy Wisconsin. The more I read on these message boards, the more I think car dealers are going to be negotiating - market is really soft right now. I'm thinking that used car prices and sales will be hard hit soon as dealers continue to cut new car prices. Not sure that the reality of the market has hit home yet.
    Satlas31 - Sorry to hear about the accident, but I'm glad your loved ones are okay. Maybe they should be driving one of these.
    $17,700 isn't bad, but you might be able to get it lower. I'd expect that with all the competition out there you should be able to get $17,500 or possibly lower.

It never hurts to walk away from a dealer. When I was shopping for my wife's TL, we walked away from a fair deal. The salesman was telling us that we could make this offer because he had the car in stock, but the deal only worked if we signed that day. Nope. Went back 2 weeks later and got an offer $200 less from the same guy.

• davidjimdavidjim Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all of the advice here, sent some internet inquiries and received a great rate of 19585 destination included for CRV-EX. in Maryland. Bought today!!!
  • pchaplespchaples Member Posts: 1
    My wife and i are looking at the crv se and can probably get it for about 23000. does this sound like a price anyone else might be getting?
    Great price! Automatic? Enjoy your new cr-v! Only problem is I no longer have the "low price" honors!
  • hislanderhislander Member Posts: 67
    Does any know if Honda is going to come out with new re-styled CRV for '02? I read some where it would be new engine still 4cyl but 2.2L, 160HP. Was it a rumor or confirmed by Honda. Any "official" info would be appreciated. I need concrete info, not just speculation or rumor since I don't know if I should buy a '01 CRV or wait for new '02. Thanks.
  • ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    When I bought my CR-V in July I had the same delema about what to buy. I was comming off lease of a Pontiac Grand am Gt. anyways here is why I choose the cr-v.
    1. Its a Honda (not a rebadged Isuzu)
    2. Back seat space to me was better in the cr-v (even though the passport it was a-little bigger a vehicle)
    3. Ride was better on the cr-v
    4. Gas millage was poor on the passport
    5. Have heard of some problems with them
    6. Power is fine in the cr-v. (granted passport has a bigger engine).
    7. This might sound weird but, the tire on the back of the cr-v is lower so it made reward visibility better.

Basically I considered the whole honda line when buying this vehicle. Since July 20th 2000. I have put over 20K miles on it and not one single problem with the vehicle. Only routine stuff.

I live in the cleveland ohio area and if you don't mind a little bit of a drive call

Jim Kvanska
    Sunnyside Honda
    Middleburg Hts. Ohio
    440-243-5577

(Easy to get to right off 71)
    Tell him Jack Egan sent you.

I shopped almost every honda dealership in the area and was VERY VERY impressed with the level of service. It was the most pleasurable dealer experiance that I had ever had. AS Ive told people I've shopped the rest and head straight for the best

any questions e-mail me at Jegan98@aol.com

Thanks

Jack Egan

BTW I do not work for or related to anyone at sunnyside. Just extremely happy with my dealership experiance and my car. (This guy can also sell you a audi,porsche, saturn and toyota and think that they also own a dealership in michigan that sells acura). Awile back a women came down from sandusky to buy a cr-v and had 2 dealerships on her list and sunnyside was the first and the last.
  • deckboat1deckboat1 Member Posts: 12
    pamo---I am in rockord area..what dealer did you get the price from?
    I dealt with Wilde Honda in Waukesha. Joe Guess was the sales agent. Let me know what they say.

good luck!
    pchaples - $23,000 sounds high to me. A dealer in my area (Dallas) is listing the SE for $23240 MSRP, sale price $21249 - SE only comes with Automatic. You might shop around a bit.
    We are waiting for the final deal in Dallas, don't forget to post.
    hislander - The '02 CR-V is only a rumor. Don't believe anything you read until the end of the Summer. Honda is very secretive about new models and may even create a prototype that in no way resembles the production vehicle.

The most sensible rumors point toward a version of the Accord 2.3L 4 banger, similar size, and similar styling.

pchaples - $23k sounds high to me too.
  • grandpubah1grandpubah1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a new CRV EX, 4dr, auto, black..... am inquiring as to anyone's knowledge as to where I could find the best rate. Please respond to my mail address of MSD4LAW@AOL.COM
  • toby23toby23 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a CRV 4WD and am moving to Colorado. Since I will need somethiing that is safe and economical does anyone have some advice or experience driving the CRV through snow, ice, wind etc.?
  • johnd16johnd16 Member Posts: 1
    Howdy. I just bought a 2wd CRV from a Maryland dealer for 17,900, including destination fees, floor mats, mud flaps, stripes. Tax and title about 900 extra. I'm pretty happy with that price.
  • davidjimdavidjim Member Posts: 2
    Pamo.. I should have been more specific..its a 5 speed manual..
  • cagney1cagney1 Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 2001 CRV-EX-5 speed for one month and am pleased--except for the sound quality of the sound system.
    1)I have the basic system for the EX model and wonder what others have done to upgrade. I'd like to get a cassette deck, too--but am not sure what to look for in terms of speakers for this particular vehicle. Suggestions?

2)I'd like to find a "console box" type thing to put on the floor between the seats. Tried something from the AAA store and it didn't fit. Tried K-Mart, one auto store and Target--nothing. Suggestions?

3)I had an '86 Civic Wagon (most awesome car EVER--same insides as the CRV, but 38-40 MPG!!! Then a '96 Civic sedan (great Honda quality, but my dogs didn't like the "sedan" part...)which got 34 MPG. All 5-speeds. Now the CRV is getting in the middle 20's for mileage (less than 1800 miles so far). What kind of mileage are the rest of you with manual transmissions getting?

Like the CRV (my dogs do too), but sure can't understand why Honda (with the exception of the Insight) is going downward with MPG on their cars. Comments??

Sure appreciated all the help here when I was researching what car to get. Got a good deal at Motorcars Honda in Cleveland Heights, Ohio--Robin Williams (glad to support a saleswoman in the business)
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Honda cars by and large are getting lower mpg because the cars Honda are putting out are getting bigger, heavier and have bigger, more powerful engines.
    Pamo, every few days I find a little cheaper price... I'm waiting a bit to see how things develop. I'm not in a rush (other than just wanting a CR-V reeeallly bad!) so I'm forcing myself to wait a bit longer to watch prices here. Every lot in the area has lots and lots of CRVs... I'll keep you posted!
    Also, Pamo? davidjim's price was for a Manual, so you still have best price' honors!
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    why not wait till yearend when 2002 comes out. See how much Toyota improved on the Rav4. 2000 Rav4 owners are probably sorry right now.
    Toby - I've driven through quite a bit of snow, even though I've only had my CR-V 2 years. It handles well enough, even in FWD mode. My concern in Colorado would be hills. While the CR-V is perfectly capable of climbing steep grades, the engine will rev and make noise while doing it. If that's going to be a problem, you might be better served with a Tribute or Forester.

Cagney1 - Try asking about stereo upgrades at www.hondasuv.com. In addition to the standard audiophyles who have done their own thing, we recently added an installer to our membership.

Two factors that have a significant affect on MPG are weight and drag. The CR-V isn't particularly portly by the standards of the min-ute class, but it probably outweighs the Civics by a few hundred pounds. Also it's tall stance and bulky wagon design give it a farily poor drag co.

To answer your question, my mpg has been just over 25. I drive a '99 5 speed and have been recording almost two years. Mine is slightly higher than average though (cuz I drive like a little old lady). Most folks range within the EPA estimates.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    I was wondering if anyone knew anymore info other than what's on the Honda website about the concept vehicle - Model X? You think it will replace the CR-V? I hope Honda makes it, it sounds and looks like a great concept. Any opinions or info is greatly appreciated.
    Although Honda is saying that the the Model X may be produced, it is not supposed to replace the CR-V. The CR-V was meant to be a sensible, comfortable pair of sneakers kind of vehicle for young to middle age buyers. The X concept was to mix a wagon/van with a dorm room and was aimed directly at college age buyers. How many college students do you know that can afford something other than a used VW with a bad bondo job?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Model X, too. But I don't think Honda's bean counters will consider it profitable.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for your input. I agree that there wouldn't be too many college kids affording the Model X. I still hope Honda will make it for us 30-somethings. I think it's a great concept for families too. Let's hope Honda won't be too shy and build it for the public. As long as they keep the price incheck, I think it could be a winner!
    If it does go into production, I suspect it'll be a very toned down version of it. Still, it would be something to see!
    Oh and here's a link for you
  • deckboat1deckboat1 Member Posts: 12
    pamo did your 19900 include destination????no other options just 4wh dr /auto ex correct???
    CR-V 2001 EX 4 wheel drive,automatic, including destination. No other options-final price was $19,600 plus tax and title fees (see posting #606).
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    After reading #606 how the other dealers said it wasn't a bona fide offer, if it were me I would make a point while enjoying a ride in my new CR-V to stop by some of those other dealers and let them know about the sale they missed (but I tend to be a little on the mean side).
    I did fax the other dealer a copy of the signed contract - just for their future reference (not to be mean, of course).
  • corynatcorynat Member Posts: 52
    Anybody out there know what the gross max payload is for the CRV. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Don't have any plans to load it to the gills or anything, just curious.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I filled the back of my '92 Civic DX with 2 big recycle bins of bricks for a sidewalk project I am working on with no ill effects other than a little light steering at time of transport (I took it real slow, so as not to bottom out).

Your experience with CRV should be similar if not better (are springs and shocks better than civic's?).