Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Audio System Questions

revbethrevbeth Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Mazda
I'm looking for help in how I might put headrest speakers in my 2002 Miata. (I don't have the Bose sound system, just standard, with those worthless tweeters in the top of the doors and regular door speakers)

I had a '91 previously with headrest speakers (aftermarket)and they were great. Of course, the later models don't have the zippers and set-up to put speakers in the headrests, but, I've really missed having headrest speakers and plan to keep it for many years to come.

Who can give me some assistance or advice? Thanks!

Comments

• ferndockferndock Member Posts: 1
    lower door speaker (driver's side) makes annoying vibrating noise at medium or higher volume, esp. with moderate or heavy bass. Is there a fix, other than replacing it? Assuming I have to replace it, can I buy just one speaker, or do I have to buy an entire set? If so, where? Instructions on replacing the speaker; I presume I have to remove the inside door panel. Any help here? Thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have a 93, the door panels are different.

You may want to try a rubber spacer to absorb vibration, that may quite the buzz.
  • sammynorthsammynorth Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 2006 Miata with the Bose sound system. The radio/cd player has a button on it to 'load' CD's, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When I check out the manual, it appears that the 6 CD in-dash changer is an option.

My question is this: Does the non-changer model have a 'load' button on it, but without the functionality?

Also, there's a button on the top row right, labelled "media". Can someone tell me what this is?

Thanks in advance.
    Sam.
    Just a guess - could that be for the aux input?
  • wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    On my wifes mazda 3 the media button is for the MP3 player jack or could be for an aux.of some sort
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    If you have the Bose stereo - turn the bass down to +1 or 0. Then you should be able to crank to volumes up to 25...
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I have an '06 GT with the Bose stereo. It does have a single CD player. You should be able to feed the CD in then "unload" to remove using the button on the opposite side (right side of the slot) of the "load" button (which is unecessary really).
  • zoomr42zoomr42 Member Posts: 1
    The only thing I don't like about my 06 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring is the inside door panel. The water bottle holder is a nuisance on an otherwise perfect car. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket replacemnet which eliminates these useless things?
  • milkeymilkey Member Posts: 66
    I'm in the process of purchasing an 08 and I've read lots of negative comments about the door cupholders. Do they really protrude enough into the cockpit to be a nuisance? They must be good for something... can you throw a pair of sunglasses in there? Sorry, I haven't heard anything about an aftermarket door panel.
    I'm only 5' 8" and the cup holders in the doors don't seem to be a problem for me or my wife and she is 5' 10" , I think they work great for water bottles or sunglasses, my to go coffee mug actually works in there also, I don't use the cup holders in the console that much because thats were I rest my arm even though I have the AT. I use those to hold my cell phone and little stuff and I usually keep it covered..
  • topdown4funtopdown4fun Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my MX5 in May of 07 and have put around 9000 miles on it. I have had problems with top latch over the driver squeaking, which took the dealer several months to fix. The gearshift knob vibrates and it has taken 3 trips to get the dealer to order a new one. Now this past week the CD changer smoked (it appears the motor over heated). The CD player always has been picky about playing MP3 disks. The car is a lot of fun to drive and I get over 33 MPG with spirited driving. If it had about 20 more horsepower it would be the perfect roadster. Most of my driving is in the mountains on curvy roads.

:D
    Thanks for the input, wilzap. It's just one more thing that I forgot to check out for myself last weekend during my brief testdrive at Walser. Cupholder issues certainly would never keep me from buying THIS car, but it's never bad to hear the details from someone who's been living with it for a while. Hey, can you explain to me exactly how the keyless entry thing works... I don't know if I understood it completely when I talked to my sales guy.
    Its basically credit card sized, about an eighth of an inch thick hard black plastic, with lock and unlock buttons and a trunk release, I just leave it in my pocket at all times, as long as its with you all you have to do is push that little button on the door handle to open the car (its all radio signal) once for drivers door,twice for both doors and if the cars open just once to lock it. where the key would go in the ignition its just a turn knob, once again with it on your person you can just turn and start. There is also a slide out key thats hidden in it so you can use that to lock the glove box or the storage area between the seats and if the radio signal ever failed you can pop off the turn knob and just use the key. My first day with the car I wasn't used to it yet and kept pulling it out to hit the buttons until I realized that was pointless, I like it
    Sounds like a nice feature. Now the little button that I noticed on the door handle makes sense. I was asking my wife about it after we left the dealership, but she wasn't sure either.
    Makes it a lot easier when you are carrying things, and no key scratches around the door handle... :) so what options did you get on the car ?
    Nothing significant. I considered the upgraded suspension package and the premium package but in the end couldn't justify the $$. I read that the ride was a little harsher w/ the Bilsteins, but I did like the idea of limited slip differential and traction control. The only options I ordered were cosmetic - splash guards, all-weather floor mats, and (security) wheel locks. Do you have the traction & stability control system with yours? If so, how do you like them?
    I do have traction & stability control,scince I never drove one without I wouldn't know the difference, but there is a limited slip on/off switch in the car, it should help if I get stuck in the snow, not that I'm planning on that,I still need to order my splash guards.What kind of stereo did you get? Mine came with the in dash 6 disc changer as standard option but I wish it played MP3 format and a plug for my MP3 player,but I suppose having 6 discs is enough :)
    Same stereo as you have, I imagine. I don't think there was a choice. I've read that a lot of people aren't happy with the lack of MP3 capability, but it won't affect me... I'm MP3 illiterate, at this point anyway. I'm happy with the 6disc changer, too. It's funny, cuz when we ordered our Mazda3 two yrs. ago, part of the reason we did it was so that we could get a cassette player in addition to the CD changer... I remember the sales guy thinking I was joking, but, hey... I'm a child of the 70's and I still have a lot of music on cassette tape. I noticed when looking thru the '08 catalog a few weeks ago that the cassette option (at least for the 3) is no longer available... guess I bought in the nick of time! I must own one of the most rare Mazda3's in existence. :D
    Yah, same for me with the cassettes, I have a 6 disc changer-Cassette-AM/FM unit sitting on a shelf from a Subaru,maybe some day I'll get it put in. Recently I had a Ford Taurus rental car with cassette and I was in my hay day with the old cassettes,I still play my Albums!! I also grew up in the late 60's and 70's class of '78 :shades: But I do like the MP3 player, I have over 7000 tunes in it...
    Let me ask you this, since you & I both also own a Mazda3. How does your MX-5 sound system compare to the Mazda3? (assuming that, like me, you have the Bose in the Miata vs. the non-Bose in your Mazda3).
    Got the system in both,the MX-5's is a 200 watt system and I think the 3 has a little less power but they sound very comparable,the 3 has more front to rear fade and the MX-5 is mostly front and side, it has a couple small speakers between the seats that don't add a whole lot but they do help, but when the top is down you lose a lot of sound, but with the top up it cranks, I'm assuming there is a big difference between the hardtop over the softop,acoustics and all. I have read mixed posts on the system in the MX-5, some complain about it some like it, all I know is its a lot better than all the systems my past cars came with. I'm happy with it
    Those are not bad, some even receive weather band.

We had 2 of them, still have 1 actually. 6CD plus tape is nice because it's so flexible, you can use those tape inputs for all sorts of devices.
    The Cassette would be very nice as I have so much material from the old days that I can't get on disc, although a lot of old stuff recently is being released on disc( companys buying out copy rites and such) but I have a lot of old radio recordings of live shows and things of that nature. not worth much to most people but priceless to me....
    Also if you have books on tape. I'm not sure if the library has gone to CDs yet. ;)
  • rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 16
    2006 Touring with stock CD player. It plays the CD fine, but the ejection system goes 'click-click-click) and the display shows "CD out" when in fact it is still in the player. As there isn't a 'manual eject' the CD is stuck.

I am reading the forums and this appear to be a common issue. Is there any preventative maintenance I can do in the future? I am having the player replaced as it is under warranty, but if it happens again I may opt for a non-stock brand.

Other than that, the car has been great so far.

Cheers.
  • rmainguyrmainguy Member Posts: 2
    My 1990 Miata's radio works fine on ACC. It stops as I start the car. (only FM AM is OK)

Anyone ever had that problem?

Thanks

Mainguy
    Weird - maybe the battery provides enough juice but the alternator does not?
  • rmainguyrmainguy Member Posts: 2
    I finally found a bad ground on the antenna.

The radio started working fine but still fails at times.

My next step is to check the ground on the radio unit itself.
  • medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    Hi- Just bought an '06 MX-5 Grand Touring. I noticed that there is a "SAT" button on the radio console. After quizzing the dealer, I was told the car did not have it, but a $350 plug in module could be ordered and it would cost about $100 to install. Does anyone know about these, and can one be obtained elsewhere cheaper? Can a person with avg car mechanic skills install it? I traded in a Protoge which had an after market XM receiver (dash mount). I suppose I could always install it in the Miata, but having the indash unit would look nicer. Thanks!
  • debgreen79debgreen79 Member Posts: 2
    A service provider connected cables backward and blew out the battery, main fuse and radio/tape player on my 1993 Miata. I found the fuse box under the dash and replaced the fuse for the radio and cigarette lighter. The lighter works, but the radio is still dead. Is there anything else I can try, short of replacing the radio? I was told by Mazda that they no longer make replacement radios for 93s.
  • lordelpuzlordelpuz Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1990 mk1, Eunos roadster, (Miata) I think they are the original CD & cassette players as they are matching, Ive not had the car very long & been busy doing more important restorations, So now i get to the audio side and although the cassette plays fine the cd loads, but pops out again after about 10 seconds without reading or playing, On the read out screen there are about 4 - - - - (dashes), does this mean its lost the code?,and if so, any ideas on breaking the code or anyway round the problem as i dont have the original code,
    Thanks for any help, I'd be very greatful.
    I'd just replace it. The stereo is nearly 20 years old at this point, probably more from the actual production date.

I put in one I got for $99 and it sounded better than the old MSSS upgraded system on my 93.

Who knows what oxidation has occured in 20 years on yours.
    Sigh, I think you are right, I just wanted to keep the whole car original, but sadly I guess Its time for a new one.
    Thanx for the reply.
    Save the stereo just in case a future buyer wants the original.

I thought that might happen when I sold my 93, but then the guy asked if it had an iPod input.

The new stereo did, so I just showed that to him. He wasn't even interested in the old head unit.
    Good idea yep, thanks for that!
  • 06miata06miata Member Posts: 1
    My 06 Bose Audio system display works intermittently. The system always plays but about half the time there is no display on the LCD screen. The dealer claims they replaced the head unit but the problem is still there. Any suggestions, my warranty expires this month and I need to get this resolved.
    Thanks,
  • sammynorthsammynorth Member Posts: 2
    I also have an '06 with the same problem. It has been happening very infrequently, so I haven't even gone back to the dealer on it.

The only suggestion I have is that you document the problem in writing to your dealer, and copy Mazda corporate on it. State explicitly that this has been an ongoing problem during the warranty period, and you want their assurane that they willo fix it under warranty.

A common "out" that manufacturers use is this: when a previously reported symptom crops up again after the warranty runs out, they will claim that "it's a different problem", so watch out for that.

Good luck.
    Sam.
  • mike46mike46 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

Can anyone help with the following issue. My wife bought a 1993 Miata. All is good except for one thing. It did not have an antenna (power antenna). I ordered one and the install was fast and works. However, I understand that the original panasonic radio, with moisture, may not work from time to time thus no power, no power antenna. I understand that I could pop it (radio) out and then clean off the glue on the circuit board which maybe trapping moisture. But, how do I get the radio out. Anyone done that before. Also, what is interesting, when I did have power to the radio, and was able to feed the new antenna, after, when I went to move the car, when I depressed the brake, it made like a clicking noise. Does not seem to do any harm or anything but did not hear that noise before I installed the radio. Do all Miatas make that noise when you depress the brake? Is it possible now noise is traveling from brakes to speakers. I look to you expert Miata owners for thoughts. I am a Volvo guy but now that my wife has this terrific Miata, I am sold. Thanks for your comments in advance. MB">
    Yes, I have. Twice. I'll explain...

First I replaced the head unit entirely. It had an aux input, which I hid. When I sold my car, the buyer asked for the input, so I had to go back in, wire that to the storage bin under the arm rest.

I found instructions on the Miata.net garage:

http://www.miata.net/garage/

While you're at it, check the grommet that seals the manual shifter linkage - I guarantee that rubber was worn and is torn by now. It just takes gear oil (75w90 or so). You may want to use a turkey baster to suck out the old/dirty fluid, then add new.

You'll find instructions for that on the same site as well.

Good luck.

FWIW, I put in a cheap $10 whip antennae and it worked fine. Don't waste too much time on a power antennae, those break easily.

Plus - you may as well change the stereo while you're at it. I'm surprised yours still works. I had the top-line MSSS (Mazda Sensory Sound System) and it had lost all the lighting by the time I swapped it out.

93 Miata C Package (sold)
    08 Miata PRHT Touring
  • BirminghamBirmingham Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know how to remove the two small speakers that are between the seats? The are directly above the little storage compartment that has the gas lid release lever. My Miata is a 2007.

Thanks,
This discussion has been closed.