Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Tire Pressure Sensors

silvealphawolfsilvealphawolf Member Posts: 4
I just bought a 2006 Tacoma with P265/65 R17 110S tires. Both the manual and the inside door sticker indicate that the optimal pressure is 29 psi. Yesterday the air pressure indicator on my dash lit up indicating that one of my tires is low. I checked them and none was below 29 psi. I filled them up to 32 psi and the indicator is still lit. I is the indicator malfunctioning or should I add more air?????

Comments

• luvuvrideluvuvride Member Posts: 5
    what does the sidewall max pressure say? i think the dealer tells you 29 psi for max ride smoothness to make up for the harsh halfton suspension. the air pressure indicaters were probably set to the tire's recommended pressure.
  • tacoman05tacoman05 Member Posts: 37
    Did you check the spare?
  • silvealphawolfsilvealphawolf Member Posts: 4
    I don't think so because I had the truck for a month before the tire pressure light came on and I had checked the air pressure reguarly to make sure the pressure was at 29 psi.
    No but I am not sure what differance that would make.
  • tacoman05tacoman05 Member Posts: 37
    Because if I'm not mistaken, the spare has a sensor on it as well. If it's low, the light will stay on.
    Mystery solved! You are right...it was my spare tire...thanks so much!!
  • rtruhnrtruhn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 tacoma with cast aluminum rims and bought some 2007 17" alloy rims, the senosrs will not work. Does anyone know where you can get a set reasonably priced. Also how do I know what the part number would be. Thanks Rob.
  • don95don95 Member Posts: 4
    I plan on buying a second set of wheels for my Tacoma. How much is a set of pressure sesnsors? I am not sure what Toyota charges? is there after market sensors that can be bought? By the way its a 2007 Tacoma 2wd 4cyl that I have.
  • finaleffortfinaleffort Member Posts: 3
    My daughter just got a flat she R&R the tire w/ spare. But the warning light will not go out. She check all four tires pres. and all ok. Can the flat tire be sending a low pres. signal?
  • allents6allents6 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had a blow out and put on my spare and left my tire at the shop to be replace while I went to work. If the tire is somewhere else, you will still get a low pressure signal. Does that make sense? Also, you may have to hit the reset button on the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel.

Also, my ex-wife drove my truck last year for a day trip a had a flat. A nice man helped her put two cans of Fix-a-Flat in the tire to allow her to get home. Fix-a-flat destroyed the sensor and I had to have it replaced. I think the sensor was about $80 bucks and about $45 to have the dealership install and activate it to my trucks computer. Ouch!
  • pandesalpandesal Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys, I need a little help here. I have 2007 Tacoma prerunner. The tire pressure sensor went on when I was driving. I just saw it as steady light. I followed the manual to put pressure at 29 PSI for front and rear per manual. When i tried to reset it, it blink 3 times and still come to steady light. When I turn the engine on , it just blink once and come steady.

Please help. I'm not sure if the sensors are ,malfunctioning.

Note: I did not check my spare tire. Thanks.
  • hannaspophannaspop Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks, My tire pressure light was on so I took it to the dealers. It was out for 3 days, then it got cold and came on solid. I checked the pressure in the tires and they were off so I put 30lbs in each tire (including the spare). Now the light blinks. What is the exact reset procedure that you have to do to make this stupid light go out.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Tires don't have sensors in them. The tire pressure sensor doesn't actually measure the tire pressure. It uses the wheel speed sensor (part of the ABS) to measure very minute differences in rotational speed between all four tires. When it senses a difference from what a nominally good tire is, it will turn on the tire pressure light. Note that you will need to check the tire pressure in all tires, as it doesn't indicate which tire is the problem. Once the tire pressure is adjusted, reset the light according to the owner's manual. You'll also need to do this after changing to a spare. But the spare tire hanging in the rear of truck is not connected to anything. It just hangs there until used. Basically fill the tires when cold not after running them on the roads and equalize all four to whatever the manufacture's rating calls for.
    Thank you for your gracious and informative explanation. My problem is my crappy 2005 Tachoma owners manual does not provide the exact sequence to use when using the reset switch. I had a Lexus and its owners manual would tell you exactly what sequence was. This new manual does not say didley. I thought maybe it was me so I had my neighbor who is an engineer and really into performance autos take a look. He could not not find it either.
  • xr70xr70 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyway to disconnect the TPS so that the light doesn't flash on the board?
  • nussbaumnussbaum Member Posts: 3
    I believe that the sensor is in the valve. Here's a snippet from a Toyota bulletin regarding a change to the 2009 Tacoma spare tire:

"11. Tire Pressure Warning System
    The tire pressure warning valve and transmitter has been discontinued on the spare tire. Alternatively, an
    information label indicating “TEMPORARY USE ONLY” has been placed on the spare tire disc wheel.
    The spare tire for the ’09 Toyota Tacoma is only for temporary use. Do not perform tire rotations on
    the spare tire."

So I could see how adding some Fix-a-Flat could gunk up the valve/transmitter.

For the guy who bought the new aluminum wheels, could you take your old valve assemblies and put them on your new wheels? Just a thought.

My 2008 Tacoma will definitely set off the low tire pressue light when the spare gets too low. Airing it up will shut the light off. The valve sensors do seem to work well. I hope I can make the same statement when my truck gets 10-12 years on it!
    hi mr buffalonickle, i solved the problem. When i took my tachoma in for service at the dealer i had them check all the tire sensors and they found one of the sensors which are attached to the tire valve stems damaged. The damage occurred when I purchased the new tires from kmart / sears. One of the services techs attempted to replace the valve stem and noticed there was a device (the sensor) attached to it. When attempting to replace the stem or replacing the tire on the rim the sensor was mortally wounded. I showed the manager at sears / kmart the damage they caused and they refunded me the cost of repairs. $248.
  • flytyeroneflytyerone Member Posts: 1
    Cannot get the low pressure warning light to reset. I've insured all tires are the same pressure, followed the owners manual and NOTHING. Light will not go out. Any suggestions?
  • rusty61rusty61 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Tacoma. Recently, the tire pressure warning light came on. I checked by tires and found them only 3-4 psi low. I corrected that and the light still stayed lit. Then, I lowered my spare and found it about 15 psi low. I corrected that and at first, the light stayed on but within a block of my home, the light went out and has not lit again. Hope this helps.
  • rider287rider287 Member Posts: 3
    Hello doen anybody here know how to simply turn the tire pressure light off! I broke one of the sesors off roading and dont want to pay alot to replace it thank you
  • joe283joe283 Member Posts: 1
    is it possible to just disconnect a wire somewhere to turn the light out on the tire pressure sensor. I really dont like this feature and can live without it. it is a stupid idea and I just want to know can I do something to get rid of the feature all togather.
  • starsprite1starsprite1 Member Posts: 6
    My husband and I have a 2010 Tacoma double cab. The tire pressure light was on when we test drove it. They put air in the tires when we bought it and it went off. Then, about a week later it came on again. My husband took it to the dealership, and they checked the spare and all the tires and inflated them more than PSI of 29 which is what the inside of the car door says to inflate them. They talked my husband into believing that it was okay to inflate them over the 29 PSI and said they do it all the time. He got angry later when he was thinking about it, because the recommended PSI is 29 on the door. He brought it back and they gave him a loaner car to drive the next day to check out the sensors. Again, they said they needed to inflate the tires to 35 PSI and that they called an expert on tires and thats what he said to do. So now the tires are inflated to 35 and the light doesnt come on.....but we are still wondering if this will wear out the tires sooner than normal and what the reasoning is that we can't inflate them to 29 like it says we are supposed to. Any ideas? Any anyone else told this story also?

thanks
    I keep tire pressure at about 35 psi on my '08 4x4 Tacoma. Take a look at your tires and they'll have a maximum recommended pressure and a maximum recommended psi on the tire. I still have the original factory tires on my Tacoma and the low tire pressure light can come on annoyingly often when I run the tires at 30 psi. Different tire pressures provide different performance. If you like a soft ride and don't haul heavy loads (and assuming you don't have the tire pressure lights, which I HATE) I'd run my tires at about 25 psi. If hauling heavy loads like firewood, I pump the tires up to about 40 psi. The tires just perform better that way. I had a Ford F150 that I'd pump up to 44 psi for heavy loads but would run 32 psi for everyday driving. And if I wanted lots of traction in snow I'd drop to 25 psi.

Changing tire pressures up or down is commonly done on many types of vehicles. You'll hear people say "low pressure wears out tires, or high pressure wears out tires faster, but it's more complicated than that. If you haul a heavy load on lower than average pressures, you really wear your tires. If you run around all the time with 40 psi tires you'll have a bouncier ride and will wear your tires too.

Now to answer your question. You won't be able to tell any significant performance difference between 29 psi and 35 psi on your factory tires. You won't see any real difference in wear, either. Rotate your tires as recommended and you'll be fine. Pressurizing to 35 psi is a realistic and honest way for the dealer to deal with the tire pressure system hypersensitivity problem.

Other than the tire pressure system, I love my Tacoma. I use it on my farm and tow, haul, etc. It's a solid truck. Good luck with yours.
  • henry1975henry1975 Member Posts: 2
    you need to check the spare tire to that is the problen and went you lower the tire you will ask your self the same thing I ask to my self how is this relaitor but I fill to 32 and after tha the check ligth went off soo traid that and good lack
  • latbluetrucklatbluetruck Member Posts: 3
    Hi- I'm new to this forum and have seen a lot of discussion about the low tire pressure sensor. Can anyone tell me just where the sensor is in the spare tire? My husband thinks Toyota is telling a fib because, looking at the tire, he can't imagine where it could be.
    The low-pressure sensor is part of the valve stem assembly of all the tires, including the spare.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    In other words, you cannot see it because it is inside the tire.
    Excellent. Thanks very much!
  • jere39jere39 Member Posts: 20
    It depends on the model year of your Tacoma. Toyota originally included a sensor on all five tires, but starting with 2009 models, and continuing through the current (2011) models they stopped adding them to the spare.

The sensors are little radio transmitters on the inside of the wheel, attached to the valve stem.
    I get that now. Mine is an 07. The low pressure light came on and when the 4 tires showed they were fine, I suspected the spare. My husband wouldn't believe the spare was sensed as well, even though the manual said it was. So he helped me lower it, check it (it was low), fill it and he still wouldn't believe because there was no visible sign of that tire being connected to anything except the wire holding it on. Now he believes.
  • mdm2009tacomamdm2009tacoma Member Posts: 2
    Okay, this DOES work ! I own a 2009 Tacoma. When your light comes on, do this BEFORE you reset to the new, true, & final running tire pressure of 29 to 30 PSI. First, pressure up ALL your tires to 35 PSI (5 with spare tire sensor & only 4 for 2009 & up models). Then reset the sensor light with the reset button, as called for in the owners manual. The light should go out almost right away within a few seconds :) YAY ! Second, carefully release enough air pressure from ALL tires to lower them to 29 to 30 PSI. Then lastly, reset the sensor light with the reset button, as called for in the owners manual, once more ! YOUR GOOD TO GO !!!
  • mdm2009tacomamdm2009tacoma Member Posts: 2
    Okay, this DOES work ! I own a 2009 Tacoma. When your light comes on, do this BEFORE you reset to the new, true, & final running tire pressure of 29 to 30 PSI. First, pressure up ALL your tires to 35 PSI (5 with spare tire sensor & only 4 for 2009 & up models). Then reset the sensor light with the reset button, as called for in the owners manual. The light should go out almost right away within a few seconds :) YAY ! Second, carefully release enough air pressure from ALL tires to lower them to 29 to 30 PSI. Then lastly, reset the sensor light with the reset button, as called for in the owners manual, once more ! YOUR GOOD TO GO !!!
  • gator80gator80 Member Posts: 1
    You should check to see what the tire size is on the door jamb and compare it to your actual tires. On my 2008 taco the door jamb says the pressure should be 29lbs for P245/R16. I have P265/R17's on my truck which calls for higher air pressure around 34 PSI and all lights go out as long as the spare has the adequate pressure.
  • dannykskdannyksk Member Posts: 1
    Hi Joe,
    I'm in the same situacion you're with the sensor light.
    What did you do, Did they give you any solution?
    I need to do know what to do too.
    Please answer me.

Danny
    ksk.3@hotmail.com