Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Engine Rattle

13»

Comments

• rileyml1rileyml1 Member Posts: 2
    First off the problem is not the heat shield and it's not just the Altima. Second the problem is the cams/valves in the head. When the engine sits for 8 hour or less the oil coating drains off the cams/valves. What you are hearing on start up is the valves and cams with 0 oil on them. There is few things you can try first off I must talk about OIL. You should take the time to do your own oil change. You buy a new car because 1 your rich or 2 because you want this to last for a long time. If you are option 2 I would say change your own oil. The QR25DE is the motor that all 2.5 Altimas and sentra's have. So the oil you need is 5W-30. I bought my new 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V with 25 miles on it first thing I did was changed the oil to a full synthetic oil. I am using royal purple 5w-30. Now there is many good oils but if you want to learn a thing or two check out. www.bobistheoilguy.com You will pay more for good oil but it pays off in the long run. Another thing is that you are learning about a car you just spent $25,000 for. Don't be lazy change your own oil take care of your car. Also check out http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html Good luck
    Again check out www.bobistheoilguy.com
  • utlax18utlax18 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info...I just changed my oil to Mobil 1 syn 5w-30 2 weeks ago and the 2.5 still sounds like a sewing machine when I accelerate up to 2000 rpms, then it is fine. So, I doubt it is an oil issues as is a "engine design/lifter" issue. I have been on www.bobistheoilguy.com and there is a plethora of info. on his site.

Later...
  • rileyml1rileyml1 Member Posts: 2
    It is the valves and the cam's. I have the problem as well when i start the car i hear very loud valve chatter. If i turn it off and right back on its not there. One thing i am looking at doing is taking the head off check on everything. For the QR25DE in any Nissan check out http://www.courtesyparts.com/ for looking parts up. I do not buy from them i buy my parts from https://www.everythingnissan.com/nissan-oem-parts.html better prices and better people. I have replacement clutch pressure plate few O rings and seals for when they go bad already just siting here. I was thinking of bushings next and timing chain for the 60k mile overhaul. Wife is getting upset over all the car parts she asked me few times if i am building a new car. Check out www.nicoclub.com forums they have some good posts people should read.
  • jbackesjbackes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Altima and have been complaining about cold engine noise since I bought the car new. I have been told it is piston slap and all of these 2.5 engines have the issue when cold. I am now working through Nissan consumer affairs and my dealer to resolve the issue as it is getting worse with time. I am told thus far that Nissan does not have a fix for it but Nissan consumer affairs asked me again to bring it back to the dealer. I will be seeing the dealer early next week so it will be interesting to hear their response I have been through the heat shield thing and the dealer did resolve this issue. I suggest to contact Nissan consumer affairs with your issue as there is strength in numbers.
  • jchd1340jchd1340 Member Posts: 13
    Please keep us posted!!!! my 07 with 33k seems to be getting worse
  • deetailerdeetailer Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input. I did go to Nissan Consumer Affairs and was told that since the dealer had a factory tech look at the car and he determined the noise was the fuel injectors and it was normal that he had the final word and I was SOL. My problem now is that since the weather has warmed the noise is not as bad so it is hard to take it in and show someone. I full expect it to get bad again next fall and by then my warranty will be out.
  • hre21hre21 Member Posts: 1
    i have had the same problem with my 08 altima, it sounds like a diesel engine on cold mornings for the first 5 miles or so then the noise goes away until the engine cools off. i have had mine in the shop 6 or 7 times with this problem , the dealership tried everything they knew to do, including some type of re-programing, new timing chains, they disasembled the valvetrain and checked everything but none of this helped. finially after the 6th time and 30 days in the shop they said that it was a normal noise and there was nothing else they could do for it and that i was just going to have to live with the noise. needless to say dont think its normal at all i think they have a problem with ALOT of these cars and the dont want to admit it.
  • 200925s200925s Member Posts: 2
    FWIW I have been doing like the one gentleman above said to do and thats to hold the pedal to the floor with foot on brake and then push the start button and let it turn over 5-6 times priming the system then release acc pedal and let it start like normal it is much quieter doing this!. I also will be adding some STP Oil Treatment do my oil to see if that helps quiet it down also.. Quite obvious nissan will do nothing for us at this point!...
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I don't have a Altima, but I do have a 2010 Maxima SV and I've had since day one a terribly loud/very consistent and frequent knocking/pinging/clinging noise coming from the engine compartment near the bottom while the car is running/idling and when the engine is off and cooling off in the driveway or in the garage. I've spoken to a Nissan Master Tech online and of course he told me that this is normal and something that all Nissan's do, especially the Altima's, and he said that it has something to do with the way Nissan designs the heat shield on their cars and its not allow to really expand resulting in these knocking/pinging/clinging noises! Of course, I'm outraged that a 37k buck car like the Maxima is making these loud/unrefined noises, enough I have had people ask me if there was something wrong with the car. Its very disappointing because I have never had a car from a multitude of different manufacturers over the years make this noise except this Maxima. I have to links below to 30 second video/audio clips of this noise. Just take a second to check it out and see if it a similar to noise that your Altima's make. If not then I'm sorry I couldn't be of help, if it is the noises your hearing, as least you know now what it is from and that there isn't anything stupid Nissan can do about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O1brN0Ur50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaDiOYlohzs
  • deetailerdeetailer Member Posts: 3
    I am sorry for you but glad to say the noise on my car is not that bad. That is terrible. My noise sounds like the valves tapping and I hear it when I accelerate from a stop. It is also much worse in cold weather. I would call the nissan Nissan Consumer Affairs
    P.O. Box 685003
    Franklin TN 37068-5003
    (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
    8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
    Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time
    Monday through Friday

Good luck
  • rondholrondhol Member Posts: 32
    Sorry for the late reply, I have this noise for more than 2 years during cold weather. No problem and still runs fine with right mpg (30 mpg 60mph cruise). That tapping noise is normal and will disappear after the engine is warm (10 minutes). Some of us have split of a second rattle noise on startup because the timing chain tensioner building pressure time. This noise should disappear after few seconds.

The one that you need to check is the dribbling noise after bumps. It could be your passenger side and rear side engine mounts, or some screws loose behind the cowl/windshield. Check FAQ Nissanclub.com.
  • maybeamistakemaybeamistake Member Posts: 1
    The cold engine rattles are piston slap! Anyone telling you otherwise is full of it.
    I bought a 2012 new in June 2012, all the dealers say this is normal,and I think Nissan has brain washed them. Any vehicle with excessive engine noise is POOR WORKMANSHIP, cut and dried.,and a good company will look after repairing same.. They have had this problem for many years now and did not or cannot remedy the noises, my vehicle has noises in excess of 10 minutes in winter, has to be plugged in even in slightly freezing temps to reduce them, pure crap.
    Avoid NISSAN like the Plague, they have no after purchase customer service and treat the customer like trash.
    Bob Winnipeg Mb
  • toolcreeptoolcreep Member Posts: 1
    I doubt anyone will be looking at this old thread anymore, but....
    This all very interesting. I bought a 2007 Altima 2.5 back in 2008. Over the years, I've had the same cold-weather-start noise. HOWEVER, over time, the noise problem has grown. My Altima rattles like.....yeah, an old tractor!! I know that the catalytic converter is bad and plan to have that fixed soon...and, I had assumed the noise would go away with that. But now I have to wonder. My car rattles ANY TIME that I'm not over a certain RPM. Cold...hot...winter...summer....doesn't matter. I have about 208,000 miles and my goal is to see if I can get 300,000, so I want to get this  care of. At this point, I'm inclined to take the heat shields off just to see what happens :/
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What we call a "rattle" can come from many different sources, so the location of the noise has to be somewhat isolated first (that is, front of engine, rear, top, or bottom, or ???)
  • RN_RN_ Member Posts: 2
    toolcreep said:

I doubt anyone will be looking at this old thread anymore, but....
    This all very interesting. I bought a 2007 Altima 2.5 back in 2008. Over the years, I've had the same cold-weather-start noise. HOWEVER, over time, the noise problem has grown. My Altima rattles like.....yeah, an old tractor!! I know that the catalytic converter is bad and plan to have that fixed soon...and, I had assumed the noise would go away with that. But now I have to wonder. My car rattles ANY TIME that I'm not over a certain RPM. Cold...hot...winter...summer....doesn't matter. I have about 208,000 miles and my goal is to see if I can get 300,000, so I want to get this  care of. At this point, I'm inclined to take the heat shields off just to see what happens :/

Now this is interesting. Try the exhaust first, then if it doesn't work, it'is the VTC. But come to think of it, with that mileage, looks like Nissan is correct, it's normal and won't harm anything. LOL.
    Actually, was also here because of a QR25 rattle on cold starts, and on revs but not as loud. This engine though is only 1000 kms. It's new! Haha!
  • RN_RN_ Member Posts: 2
    Oh, and I disagree, many people will still be looking at this, and will find it very useful. Haha