Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Tahoe Suburban 4 Wheel Drive Indicator Lights

13»

Comments

• Options
    carrera911djlcarrera911djl Member Posts: 1
    hey there! any luck with this issue.. i just started having exact same issue with my 2005 z71 suburban with 102k miles. i don't feel like getting ripped off by the stealership but i can't engage 4wd.. just have red neutral light on . if i push 4wd it blinks amber for a while then goes out. regards, dylan
  • Options
    jessnelson0627jessnelson0627 Member Posts: 2
    I took it to my local dealership to run a diagnostic. They came back with my needing a new encoder motor sensor (gm part 88962315). They gave me a part price of 84.81, but I found it on Amazon for 45.21. They said they would charge for parts and labor about $250. Luckily, my boyfriend and my dad will do it for dinner. My check engine light is on so they ran the codes for that and found that I need a new fuel tank pressure sensor (gm part 12247409) and gave me their cost of 62.06. I found this part also on Amazon for 28.19. The dealership said this replacement, done by them, would cost me about $330. This replacement will also be done by my 2 favorite men. So, total of $73 and dinner for my guys versus over $550 to have both done by the dealership. I think I'll go with my first option. But, there's the answers I got "straight from the horse's mouth". Now, the dealership did tell me that, when the encoder motor sensor is replaced, I'll need to bring it back in so they can reprogram it. I was told by the tech that there was a bulletin put out stating this would have to be done. I think I'll do a bit more research and see if my dad could just reprogram the thing himself and save me the $65 charge that the dealership quoted.
    Jessica
  • Options
    ccomfort12ccomfort12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Suburban Z71 that was stuck in 4WD LO this week, i tried the fuses and tapping the T Case but nothing resolved it. I went out this morning to try some of the tips from this thread and low and behold as soon as I pulled up it into the driveway I pushed the 2WD button and it worked, drove it around the block and pushed the Auto 4WD button and that worked and now runs fine. My only problem is this is our short bus for my wife and 3 kids and definitely do not want any future incidents occuring due to bad parts.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue, it was loud once it went into 2WD up front in the T Case, could the actuator have been stuck? Now that it works I can't really troubleshoot the switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    xos97xos97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 it had the same issue I replace my 4x4 motor it cost about $265.00 I got it at orielly auto parts it was the cheapest and best warranty life time it took me about 2 hours to do it.my truck did the same thing yours did.all that holds it is 3 bolts and it is on the side of the transmission you loosen it from the drivers side around the drive shaft area .if you need more info please let me know .Sal
  • Options
    pissedoff13pissedoff13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 suburban z71 same thing shifts into neutral on its own from 2 wheel drive the dealership saying same thing i have to replace my transfer case at 60k miles wtf im so done with all gm products when the dealership or gm wont stand behind their defective products
  • Options
    gjgilgjgil Member Posts: 1
    I've had this happen on and off for about a year. Never while driving.only when I start the vehicle after a long drive where things have heated up. Often it goes into 4wd neutral which I can shift back to 2wd by putting the transmission into neutral. Occasionally it will go into 4Lo and I can switch it back to 2wd. It will go for weeks and not happen. Seems to come back when it rains too. Weird!
  • Options
    lockgremlinslockgremlins Member Posts: 4
    I've read many of the posts on Suburbans stuck in 4H or 4L and now mine has the same problem. THis is a disappointment after just getting the differential repaired twice (first time was done incorrectly). I drove home from Dallas today (300 miles) and started the truck about an hour later to take son to gymnastics. It was in 4L and I tried the guidance in manual with no success. I'm guessing I'll need it towed to the dealer tomorrow. I did get it to shift into N but the N light doesn't come on and it goes back into 4L. Is this the module? My truck has about 70K on it now. Is this something that's covered under the drivetrain warranty. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    We hope that your visit goes well today, lockgremlins, and if you want for us to follow up on this with your dealership we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Options
    kwyitkwyit Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading everyones posts and have replaced the acuator and the 4wd dash switch. with no avail my 4x4 will not engage. I was told to try changing the 4wd indicator lamp switch on the front a dif. For this part, I required an axle code. After calling the dealership and obtain the code and the knowledge that this part was discontinued for axle coded ZB1, i have failed to locate the correct part. Does any one have any ideas on what could be the problem and where i may find discontinued parts.
  • Options
    niktnikt Member Posts: 24
    Here is a copy of suggestions I posted that worked for my 1999 Tahoe. I posted this some years ago, but it may work for you:

"#25 of 115 Taho 4 WD by nikt Nov 16, 2009 (3:10 pm)
    A big thanks to all who made suggestions. My 1999 Tahoe now has a correctly functioning 4WD system. If you recall, NIKT (that’s me) said that the unit was stuck in 2HI and would not engage any other mode. There were various suggestions, but here’s what worked for me:

1.- Find ATC fuse. This took longer than everything else because I kept looking for an “ATC” fuse. At least on my ’99 Tahoe, there’s no fuse so marked. My manual did list a fuse in the small fuse panel on the left side of the instrument panel, but not in the panel over the left front wheel. It’s a 20Amp fuse in the No. 2 position, and is identified as “Transfer Case.” It was blown.

2. – I pulled the T-case fuse (#2) and the Accessory Light fuse (#3) and left the car sit for about 5 minutes with the ignition switch off.

3 – I replaced the 20 Amp fuse with a 25 Amp fuse, because some people suggested that cold weather can result in a higher current draw in the 2WD-4WD shift motor. I put back the 10 Amp Accessory Light fuse which was OK.

4. – As some suggested, I then switched the ignition On and Off 5 times to clear any trouble codes stored in the Trans Control Module.

5. – I fired up the engine and watched as the red “Neutral” light on the control button panel blinked off. My Tahoe had been stuck in 2HI, but then the 4HI button lit showing that mode was now engaged. I pushed the 2HI button and the transfer case shifted OK. Out on the street I engaged all the Transfer Case modes and everything seemed to work OK.

Again, a big thanks to you all, and I hope what I did works for you too.

NIKT
  • Options
    bob2588bob2588 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71 and I have just noticed a clicking noise coming from the left from tire area. I can only here it at low speeds, and it does not get any louder when turning just the same clicking noise. When the vehicle is stopped no noise just in movement the faster the tire turns the faster the click, and the slower the turn the slower the click.
    Any ideas before I start to tear into this as I will be working on a budget and need to save the money by not repair or replacing what don't need to.
    thanks in advance
  • Options
    niktnikt Member Posts: 24
    This doesn't sound like a subject for this 4WD blog. It sounds like basic diagnostics , don't you think?

Do you hear the noise when the wheel is lifted from the ground? Check the bearings. With the wheel up, check to see if there is a stone or screw/big nail in the tire. I have had this problem.

NIKT
  • Options
    nynativenynative Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 suburban 1500 Lt. 5.7L. I am stuck in 4wd Lo. I replaced the dash button already. When I turn the truck off the transfer case begins to switch from 2wd to 4wd. When car is on it does not do that but will not switch out of 4wd Lo. With truck off I unplugged everything and I can hear the transmission computer under the dash still clicking. I need help to figure this out. I was told a sensor on transfer case is stuck. But it should not get power when car is off.
  • Options
    ehoggardehoggard Member Posts: 1
    four wheel light stay on sometime light dont come on at all or light on 4L or4H
  • Options
    kaptklutzkaptklutz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to this forum! I have a 2004 Tahoe Z71 with 145K miles. In the last 2 weeks I was having the 4WD selector on the dash randomly indicating N with a red LED but driving was unaffected. This morning it actually started off in 4WD low though it had not been selected. First thing I tried was pulling TREC fuse with engine running and leaving it at at least 30 seconds before replacing. The fuse was good. When I replaced it the lights on the switch and driving function was restored to normal. My next step would be locating the Automatic Transfer Case fuse (could not identify readily using owners manual diagram or diagram on either fuse box). I did not do anything with the ATC fuse and did not locate it.
    The TREC fuse on mine was under hood in the fuse box above drivers fender. Clearly marked in lid diagram. Bottom right row, 2nd from Right.
  • Options
    kaptklutzkaptklutz Member Posts: 2
    The only electronic fix I haven't tried is making sure the ground wire associated with the selector switch (replaced already) is clean and well grounded. I saw a post related to this a couple weeks ago but can't find post nor where the ground is located on the body. Any help?
  • Options
    KingCadillacKingCadillac Member Posts: 1
    Hello there I can Solve everyone’s service 4wd problem. I have been fixing issues on these makes for over 12years. The issue is a rusted ground connection under the driver side door. Cut and replace the 2black wires. Then replace the bolt and sand off the rust from the frame. Then reconnect boom!!!!! $2 dollar fix. If you live in a area that gets snow. The frame gets rusty and the ground loses its ground.