Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    Hopefully, if you bring them the diagram and have them follow it step by step, you should be fine. With mine, I think the initial reinstallation might have broke or messed up the B or C clips.

Like I said hopefully they will know by then with all the other Fits to work on just how to set up the floor mats. I dont have AC button problems. I dont even have the car! lol

Oh yeah, if you need the A/C on, you can set it to defogger setting. You will still have the vent on the driver and passenger side. That was my workaround while waiting for the part for 2 weeks.

Good luck!

Good to know and thanks! I feel lucky tho, I get to go thru the entire breakin period without having to use the AC.
    I've been to Honda service so many times I actually know them all by their first names.

Sad but with all the cars I've owned, my previous Acura TSX and Honda Fit seems to be the ones giving me so much problems and the most dealer trips and those surveys they send a day after their non-service are really aggravating.

I had absolutely horrible service and horrible problems with my mazda when I first bought it. I cant believe it ever made it to 175K miles cuz it was such a POS when I first got it. When I went thru with the shredder I decided to toss all those letters to mazda central telling them how bad the service was.

I am hoping the honda dealer is a gem. So far, so very good.

Wish me luck!

If not there are two more within half hour radius.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Just to give another opinion, I'm 5'7 and my wife is 5'5", and we both think the driving position is fine. For me, one of the keys is the cruise control and having an automatic. When I test drove the manual, it was difficult finding a good position for my feet for shifting, but then for me when you're in a chair-like seating position, it feels strange pushing the clutch straight back...almost like you're kicking the clutch. But anyway we wanted the automatic because it's better for the highway cruising, and we wanted the cruise control. With the auto in the Sport mode, the pedal position isn't as critical, and I found that I could get a comfortable spot, and on long highway drives I'll use the cruise control. But if you can't get a good position, then I'd go for the Versa because you can adjust the height.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Okay. Just came back from the dealer and they batted 1-3.

1. HVAC temp knob dim spot at 1:00 position - I will have to find out tonight if any change but as per them, they can't fix it. As per their notes, "Special order knob. Replaced the knob for the HVAC control for the heat. Tech noticed there is 1 lightbulb on the control and there is a piece of plastic on the control at the 12:00 position going down to about 9-3 causing a shadow". If that was true, then why was the dim spot not there before? Would you guys be able to verify to see if its me not noticing this before?

2. Dashboard Center Panel - They are still going by the "commercially acceptable" finding. I told them that they had 1 Fit on the lot and we can compare but they seem to ignore my request. I asked a comparison the last time too with a Fit on the lot and that was ignored as well.

3. Rattle coming from top of the front center vents - From their notes, "tech re-secured the bolts and reset the panel. Also installed foam tape behind the area". Hey, the tech actually fixed this one. The car sounds like its brand new again albeit 6 mos old. At least, this is making me love my Fit again. :blush:

I'll check tonight for the light and see.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Glad to hear that there is some good news regarding your Fit. As for item 1, I just checked in my completely dark garage. The light seems to remain constant from full cold to full heat, except for a very small piece of plastic around the 1:00 position. It is not really noticeable when actually looking at the knob (you have to really concentrate on the light), and I first notice it when I saw the shadow in this picture. Does the shadow on your car cover a larger area than what I see?

You are very perceptive, as I seriously have never noticed this shadow before today. :)

Here is what the temperature knob in my car looks like. Not the best picture as it was done with my cell phone camera, but nevertheless it should do the trick:

• kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Going by your picture, your 1:00 dim spot is a lot lighter and less noticeable than mine. I will try to take a pic tonight to see. I do have over 16K miles already on my car so maybe the "normal" 1:00 spot is now becoming more noticeable.

How did I notice? I really don't know. It could have started when I kept looking at the dash panel misalignment, then trying to figure out where the rattle was coming from. I guess I kept zoning in on the area. :P

Thanks again! So its looking like I'm down to 1 problem left which at this point is kinda moot. I'm thinking I can live with it to preserve the fixed rattle issue on my car.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Our Fit (Sport AT) is my wife's primary vehicle, and she is 5'2". I am 6'0". We were initially concerned about the seat height for my wife, especially for the fact that the U.S.-spec Fit's seat did not height-adjust. However, after driving 500 miles over the weekend, she reported that the seating position was not only fine but very comfortable for her. This (seat height adjuster) was one point that the Versa SL had over the Fit, so what a relief that it worked out for my wife.

By the way, I mirror you so in so many posts, bobw3, that I feel as though I have found my long-lost twin. ;)
  • jkliggettjkliggett Member Posts: 3
    I am 5'7", had a hip resurfacing last year, and find the seat height is fine for trips around town and highway driving under 2 hours. For longer trips, I use a small pillow to get my hips heigher than my knees. Unfortunately at the height, the rearview mirror creates a blind spot so I only do this on the highway. The blind spot would be a problem with seat height adjuster.

I drive a SS AT and would definitely buy it again.

Kathleen
    Today I was in the backseat of the Fit with my 2yr old daughter watching a DVD on a portable player while waiting for my wife who was in the doctor's office when I notice the amount of space UNDER the 2nd row. The 2nd row is up on legs that fold forward when the seat folds flat, but when the 2nd row is up, there is a lot of space for all sort of things, especially when you have kids.
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    Well, that space is obvious since you need to fold the legs in tall mode anyway...

Not terribly effective IMO, since the bars get in the way, and it prevents you from folding it flat later.
    It's more effective the amount of space under the 2nd row of just about any other small car I know, which is zero. Hmmm....zero space under the 2nd row seats or some. I'll take the some. And I'd rather have the stuff UNDER the seats than under my feet!
    The other day, before we got the optional cargo cover, my wife and I had to park our Fit at a park-and-ride lot of a train station, and as we were about to do so, we realized that we had a total of four attaches/bags that we did not want to take with us on the train. Because of the lack of the cargo cover at that time, we wondered how to hide our things. Turned out that we could stuff everything under the rear bench, even with the bars, which was rather nifty.
    Thanks, Ken, definitely worth a try.

If you find it, could you let us know? (post a website with part number etc?)

Thanks if you can.
  • hondafulhondaful Member Posts: 32
    Seems to me I recall seeing accessory cargo nets to fit under the rear seats on one of the overseas web sites for the Fit/Jazz, but I can't find them now. Does anyone know about them? Can they be fitted to the USDM Fit? If so, is anyone importing them?
    Seems to me I recall seeing accessory cargo nets to fit under the rear seats on one of the overseas web sites for the Fit/Jazz, but I can't find them now. Does anyone know about them? Can they be fitted to the USDM Fit? If so, is anyone importing them?

Let me think, lemme think....

Ran across this, this was cool....lol
    http://www.autoanything.com/truck-tents/60A2945A0A0.aspx

Hmmm....did you google it?

One was maxdax.com. I forget the other.
  • cargirl6cargirl6 Member Posts: 1
    In another post I read that the cargo space with the seats down is closer to 60 cubic feet and not the 41.9 cu. ft. that the specs say. Can anyone tell me what the actual measurement in inches - the Length, Height and width of the back cargo space is with the seats up? The honda fit specs say it is 21.3 cubic feet.
    Thanks
    The 21.3 cu ft is the volume up to the level of the seat backs, since Honda doesn't want to be held responsible for what might happen to people who load the cargo space above that level if they stop suddenly :surprise:. The actual dimensions have been discussed in several threads on this site. One is in the Honda Fit vs Suzuki Aero thread, message #8 (I don't know how to include links in a message yet). You should be able to find others with the Search Function, or just scrolling through the topic list.
    Also check messages 50 to 53 in this very thread!
  • 2tallformyfit2tallformyfit Member Posts: 5
    I almost put my 2 week old fit up for sale before I saw your post. I'm going to shop around body shops to get the seat moved back. The only thing I'm worried about is that the steering wheel will be too far forward after that. How are you doing with your modification after a month of driving?
    Should I consult Honda before moving the seat?

I'm missing my 91 civic hatchback!
    :cry:
    Not that it helps those of us outside of Japan much, but Honda back there sells something called the Lumbar Fit Support, here:

Lumbar Fit Support

It permanently shapes itself to the driver's back according to the unique shape of the driver. I wish I could have one here.
    One of my wife's clients had a huge box to transport. The client owns a Dodge Durango which was for some reason not available at that time, so my wife, with our Fit, offered to transport the box. My wife's client took one glance at the Fit and said, "Ain't no way the box gets in there." Well, lo and behold, our Fit swallowed the whole thing that needed to be carried. The client exclaimed, "Holy, this thing can carry more than my Durango!" I don't know about that, but it sure surprised the owner of the big Dodge that weighs nearly twice as much as our Fit!

In the same line of events, my wife was going out to lunch with three of her co-workers, two of whom are 6'3" and weigh at least 200 pounds each, and she offered to drive. The big guys took at look at the Fit and allegedly said, "Wait a minute. We can't go into this thing!" Both of them fit in the backseat no problem, however, and not only that, said to my wife, "This thing is rather comfortable back here." :)
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "Ain't no way the box gets in there."

That's the same expression that an owner of a large pick-up gave me when I got to my car in the Home Depot parking lot with a number of 8-foot long 2x4s. Using utility and long mode I was able to fit everything in. Sure, my car was left with only one useable seat, but I was able to still close the hatch. ;)
  • haunmahaunma Member Posts: 3
    Regarding the comments last summer about the weird pedal angle and the disconnect between comfortable-distance-from-the-wheel vs. comfortable-distance-from-the-pedals: Now that you've had your Fit for another six months, could you give the rest of us a status report on this issue? Did you just get used to it? Keep the seat further back and arms straighter? Find a clever mechanical solution?

I had the opportunity to test-drive a Fit Sport MT last week and noticed my feet getting seriously uncomfortable after ~15 minutes behind the wheel. After scooting *way* back my feet were happier but I'm not sure I'd want to drive like that long-term; I like the wheel a lot closer. (Not two inches closer as someone else said; more like half a foot!) FWIW I'm 6'0 and 160 pounds. Coming from a 92 Ford Explorer, also a manual shifter.

I've pre-ordered a Fit Sport MT and probably have until April to change my mind. I like everything else about the car and would hate for this to be a deal-breaker... but, it is pretty fundamental!

I'd especially like to hear the experiences of manual-transmission drivers, as the whole pedal thing seems a lot more acute in that case.
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I'm two hairs under 6 ft and about 175. I keep the seat all the way back, but I find that if I keep the seat back as far forward as it will go (pretty much straight up and down) then the distance to the wheel is fine. The window sill is at the perfect height for the elbow.

My legs hurt a bit at first too, but I'm used to it now. I think I had some muscles that weren't used to supporting the weight of my leg.
    shneor, I'm laughing because we obviously share many of the same criteria in evaluating cars. I'm an amateur astronomer too (12.5" truss-tube dob).

Shouldn't there be a fuse box where you can disable the circuit for the dome light? This worked like a charm on my '92 Explorer at star parties. Only drawback was that it also happened to erase the memory on the radio.
    Today I test-drove the same Sport MT again. This time I spent a good 15 min. in the parking lot first, testing various mitigations for the uncomfortable gas pedal. (BTW this vivid blue pearl Fit has been sitting on the lot at Honda Auto Center of Bellevue for over a week now---they might actually be ready to deal if you're interested. I already pre-ordered mine through another dealer.)

Bottom line: I've convinced myself that I can live with the odd ergonomics. Here's what I found:

1) Seat height *does* play a significant role for me. Sitting on a fat cushion I get a better angle on the pedals, and my knees can still fit under the wheel, at least at the highest tilt. Can't push this strategy too far, though, or the rearview mirror becomes a forward blind spot.

2) For me the problem is the accelerator, not the clutch. I need my right heel on the floor to modulate the throttle properly, so the too-vertical pedal in the Fit bends my foot too sharply upward => rapid fatigue. My clutch foot is fine because I'm used to moving the whole foot instead of pivoting at the ankle.

3) If I slide my right foot back until just the tips of my toes are at the lower edge of the accelerator, this is much more comfortable, but it doesn't feel secure---I have to consciously force myself to put my foot there instead of sliding it forward fully onto the pedal where it starts to hurt. I conclude that a longer, aftermarket pedal could solve this issue; it might be possible to improve the angle a bit, too, by shimming the lower attachment point of such a pedal/cover. Seems a reasonable DIY task.

4) Stuff that didn't work for me: Sliding the seat all the way back (gotta have some bend in my elbows, sorry); raising the floor below the pedals with a book (minor improvement, but not as effective as I'd hoped).

Has anyone tried aftermarket pedals yet? Any suggestions?
  • ten_year_manten_year_man Member Posts: 17
    I've put about 150 miles on my new Fit, and I'm still trying to find a comfortable driving position. I'm a half inch over 6 feet tall with a 33" inseam.

The main problem is that the steering wheel is too far forward in relation to the pedals. With the seat moved all the way back where my legs can stretch out a little, I can't recline the seat at all without having to extend my arms fully to grasp the steering wheel. I like to have some bend in my elbows and at least a little recline for my back.

I've tried moving the seat forward but this exacerbates the other problem -- lack of thigh support on the seat cushion. Being closer to the pedals increases the vertical angle of my lower legs, which lifts them further off the seat. My legs then tend to splay outwards, with the outside of my lower right leg resting uncomfortably on the center console. The vertical angle is also uncomfortable for my right ankle, which requires the foot to bend unnaturally upward to conform with the angle of the gas pedal.

I'm on the verge of seriously regretting the purchase of this otherwise excellent vehicle. I've never had these problems in any other car and I'm scratching my head as to how Honda could have done so poorly on ergonomics.

I'm going to try using a wedge cushion that will support my thighs closer to the knee. This should keep my legs from splaying outward. If this works, I may integrate the cushion with a seat cover so I don't have to deal with placing the cushion every time I get in and out of the car. I also like the idea of shimming the gas pedal to reduce the angle.
  • mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    A test drive is very important with this car. I was lucky to be able to rent a Fit for a weekend, and found out that I couldn't get a comfortable seating position, either.

I've bought a second hand car, now. I'll be watching to see if they do anything to enhance the seating position, but as it is, I can't see myself buying a Fit. :cry:
    You have to think of the Fit like an SUV because of the upright driving position. In an SUV or minivan, you pretty much sit upright, not leaning back like in an Accord or Civic. I think the reason folks are having a hard time getting comfortable is because they think they're driving a "low" car like a Civic or Accord versus a high car/minivan/suv. That's why the Fit has a high roof.

So pretent the Fit is an SUV/truck/minivan, in which case they're all designed to have you sit like you're in a chair, and you'll find that the steering wheel isn't so far away.
    I understand that the seat is more upright than other hatchbacks, but that doesn't stop it being uncomfortable. I've been comfortable in SUV's. This is the only car that I have ever been in or driven where I am almost constantly aware of my slightly aching legs and feet. It seems to be a height thing, If you are under 5.8 or over 5.4 its the perfect car.
    I wish I had found this forum before I purchased my fit.
  • ten_year_manten_year_man Member Posts: 17
    It's not a whether I think about this vehicle as a low-slung coupe or upright mini-SUV. The plain fact of the matter is that I am unable to find a comfortable driving position with any combination of the three variables:
    1) sliding the seat forward or back
    2) adjusting the seatback from slight recline to fully upright
    3) adjusting the tilt on the steering wheel

I think 2tallformyfit is probably right. The ergonomics of the front seat are suitable only for short drivers. There's plenty of headroom, but the front of my thighs do not rest on the seat cushion and my right leg rests uncomfortably on the center console. This is especially exacerbated when I move the seat forward to be closer to the steering wheel. I can live with the seatback fully upright, but that still doesn't overcome the faulty geometry. Honda really needed to offer a telescoping steering wheel and an angle adjustment on the seat cushion, or change the geometry altogether.

I haven't given up yet. I'll begin fashioning a wedge cushion today, despite the zero degree weather here in Chicago. Tomorrow I'll be preoccupied with a sporting event.
    Obviously for SOME folks the seating position is uncomfortable, but if you look back at the earlier posts, you'll find several 6'+ folks owing Fits and not complaining about the seating position. But like any car, you really have to do a long test drive, and if something doesn't feel right, do another test drive. But to say that the Fit is suitable only for short drivers is incorrect based on the tall drivers posting here that are comfortable.

For sure there are 2 tall drivers who can't get comfortable!
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    I wouldn't blanketly state that the front seats are suitable only for short drivers. I'm only 5'4", and could not find a comfortable driving position, either. After 6 months of fighting with it, I gave up, and sold it to get a 2007 CR-V.

The upright seating position may be more like an SUV, but the footwell doesn't have the vertical depth to fully implement the conversion. So, from the waist up, I was driving an SUV, but from the waist down, I was still in a subcompact. It just didn't work for me, and sadly, I had to move on.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    if this many folks, of different heights and dimensions, have experienced trouble finding a comfortable (or even just tolerable)fit then the problem lies with the vehicle, and not the driver(s). Honda may have eliminated most, if not all, of the problem if it had offered a telescoping wheel, and more seat adjustments.

It is also my opinion that if you have to go through this much trouble to find a comfortable fit, then it is not the right vehicle for you. I doubt many people would buy a pair of shoes or a jacket if comfort were an issue. Why would you compromise on something as expensive as a car?
  • dgfitdgfit Member Posts: 8
    I agree that the seats can be a problem....regardless of height evidently. The seats are ok even for trips of 12-14 hours like I have done in the fit....but you never seem to acheive a really comfortable position during the ride...it is ok but not in the 'really comfortable ' range like I have been able to do in other smaller cars such as the echo or civic. The other downside of the front seating is the consistent ' sloshing ' noise made at a certain point of the gas tank fill close to full but not quite. Again another 'little thing' that seems should be better on a 5 y.o. design...............................
  • mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    So after about 6 months from my original thread I can happily report that the ergonomics of the car are much more comfortable. I think that there are three factors to the improvement:
    1) My Seat Cushion. I bought a Walmart seat cushion for about $20 that is made of molded silicone in a removable pillow-case type mesh. It's very comfortable and firm without the "sweat factor." I can move it around as needed and it provides the added thigh support I needed.
    2) Pedal Covers. I bought peadal covers at AutoZone for about $15 and installed them with zipties. Not very elegant, but if you do it right it is more secure than the screws they come with and totally removable if necessary. The covers extend the bottom lip of the pedals down a few inches so I can rest my heel on the floor and not have to drive with just my toes.
    3) Multiple floor mats. I bought floormats from Walmart and stacket them on eachother to raise the floor about an inch. In comination with the other improvments, the driving position is quite comfortable now. My muscles have also adjusted to the ergonomics, so I'm sure that helps too, but I don't regret purchasing the Fit for a minute now that this problem is resolved. It takes a little work to get it right, but its worth it. I've taken some very long drives without any big problems other than the normal "car fatigue". Of course, this is not to say that I'd prefer the Fit over a minivan or other long-range cruiser car but it certainly isn't the problem it used to be. Hope this helps!
    Hi there, just got my fit and I tell ya I am having a heckuva time getting it into refresh mode.

So, whats the trick?

I have been scooting front seat as far forward as I can get it and then tilting the front seat backwards and down to mee the other but the bar that holds the headrest (which I take off to attempt this) seems to be prohibiting the downward movement.

If there is a trick, someone please help because I cannot get it flat/flush!
  • mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    You need to tilt the rear seat back to it's lower latch position. Lift up on the latch on the rear seat-back near the headrest as if you were putting the rear seats into the floor, but instead of bringing the seat down toward the front of the car, push toward the back. The whole seat will move about 2", and you'll be able to put the front seat all the way down for refresh mode. Hope this helps.
    -Matt
    You need to tilt the rear seat back to it's lower latch position. Lift up on the latch on the rear seat-back near the headrest as if you were putting the rear seats into the floor, but instead of bringing the seat down toward the front of the car, push toward the back. The whole seat will move about 2", and you'll be able to put the front seat all the way down for refresh mode. Hope this helps.
    -Matt

Thanks to you Matt, I have now successfully put the seats into every possible configuration. :)

YAY!

It did indeed go flush once I reclined the back seat.

It wasn't clear in the owners manual to me at all, or perhaps I just didn't get the back seat reclined as far as it will go.

Thanks again, you are a lifesaver!
  • danboudanbou Member Posts: 3
    Do you know if someone have picture of seat track extenders?

I have the same problem, any good position for long drive. When i haved purchase my FIT sport, the drive test was not long.and now it's a problem for me. I want keep my car for a long time but if i cant find a solution for position of the driver seat i dont keep this car
    Thank's
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    er, which front wheel of the Fit are you proposing to remove, and why ? Doesn't that make it a bit of a pig to drive ? Is it safe ?

Ooops, sorry. You meant the bike's front wheel. :blush:
  • traughtraugh Member Posts: 3
    Holds a full size (7/8) string bass, amplifier, music stands and two passengers. Nuff said?
  • soonerdalsoonerdal Member Posts: 8
    HOw easy to install coverking seat covers in the fit? Can a complete amateur do it?
  • bmp956bmp956 Member Posts: 4
    I've been lurking here for the 5 MONTHS (that's right folks, the world's most patient car buyer here!) it took me to finally take delivery today. Considering my last brandy-new vehicle was a 1980 Ford Van I figured what the heck is nearly half a year in the grand scheme of things. Rode my bike up to get it, thankfully the snow here in Jersey finally quit last night, and I can honestly say the picture they have in the brochure is probably one of those bikes I remember as a kid at the circus with a bear on it. My roadie is a 56, basically a medium sized frame, and with the front wheel removed the rear still protruded a good 4" out the door. So utilo-mode it was. Definitely less of a struggle than stuffing it in my Eagle Talon.

After my experience I don't see how it would be possible to not remove the front wheel, which takes all of 5 sec. with a quick-release skewer, which I'm pretty sure ALL real bikes have now. The exception is probably *#?!Mart bikes. But why someone would put their personal safety at risk on one of those is beyond me. To each his own, I guess.
  • jethadenjethaden Member Posts: 36
    Yes, it is quite easy. They give you an overly detailed instruction manual. The only thing I did not like about mine is that they follow the Honda pattern on the seats, which makes for some tight sewing angles on the neoprene panels. See my pictures I posted ages ago when I bought mine, shortly after they released the FIT covers. coverking seat covers
  • lalambertlalambert Member Posts: 2
    I wish that I'd found this site before I bought my Fit last week, I'd have test driven for a longer time. I love everything else about the car, but I just can't get comforable.

Do you have to have the seat shifted back at the Honda dealership? About how much does this cost to do? How long does your car have to be in the shop?

(I also have long arms and think I could cope with being farther from the steering wheel.)
  • danboudanbou Member Posts: 3
    I have made this modification since 2 week now and i LIKE my position for driving. I take only 2.5 hrs, 15$ for steel and 5$ for bolts, lock and nut. My seat is 2 inch more up and 4 inch more more back. Enough for have a lot of ajustement . I have ask my dealership in first, but nobody want do that, reason security?? My modification is very good without any modification on original track.
    I happy now! :)
    How did you do it???? My back hurts just thinking of getting in my fit. Did you have to move the steering wheel forward as well?
    :confuse:
  • cfbendercfbender Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my new Sport Automatic last week, and am enjoying it very much. This morning after my commute I opened the driver side door to get out and noticed a white elastic cord, about 6" long, protruding from between the door panels, along the door edge by the hinges. It comes out from between the interior moulding and the door metal, and is about half way between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the door. I tried giving it a little tug, but it didn't budge.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be attached to, and why it popped out all of a sudden? I hope it is a minor thing, and I can just neatly snip it off, but thought I see if anyone has other ideas first.

Thanks
  • scratchmarcscratchmarc Member Posts: 19
    I first noticed mine a couple months ago, although it protrudes from the bottom of the door through a small gap in the door panel. I know that gap is supposed to be there for condensation, but I have no idea what that elastic is for, or comes from. I've been hesitant about snipping it also, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything to do so... I suppose the only way to really find out would be to remove the door panel, and then secure that loose end with some tape.

~Marc