Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• nthomasnthomas Member Posts: 40
    I had some problems when I first bought my Fit. My solution was to purchase a cheat seat cover at Target, and put some extra padding under it to boost me into a comfy position. It took a little while to get it right, but now I'm very happy with the way it feels.
  • ibertyiberty Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Honda Fit has a coarse dashboard section which reflects in the windshield driving toward the sun. Can anyone recommend a solution to correct this problem?

Thanks,
    Les
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This is an issue in a lot of vehicles now with all the raked windshields... and a reason why you don't see a lot of light colored interiors as much anymore.

When the sun is shining on the dash, the angle of the windshield is just perfect to give you a goo view. I even get a bit of that with the black interior/dash on my Versa!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    When the sun is shining on the dash, the angle of the windshield is just perfect to give you a goo view.

Is that goo view before or after the bugs hit the windshield? ;)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    What a pefect typo! Why yes... it IS a GOO view at times :P
  • kamakurakidkamakurakid Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Fit Sport, having not experienced the reflection issues you bring up I can only offer suggestions based on what I would do if in your seat. Are you conditioning the dash with an oil based conditioner like ArmourAll? I use a non-glossy type of conditioner to assure no reflection. There are covers for the dash area, these cut the reflection and also help in protecting the dash from baking and being damaged in the bright Sun. I saw a few of the dash covers in Arizona a while back. Here is a link to one supplier I know of, the cost is up to $30 and they offer versions for us Fit owners:

http://www.godashmat.com/dashmats.asp

Let us know if the issue is solved.

Cheers.
  • kamakurakidkamakurakid Member Posts: 2
    I have a Honda Fit Sport '08, with the same seat as the one you have concerns about. In my one month of ownership I have had a comfortable seat overall, so I cannot offer any direction based on my use. Other than trying the padding additions suggested by others, there is not much else to try. It can only be the seat, your positioning or your back, or any combination of the three. When you are in the passenger seat do you still feel discomfort?
  • jacintajacinta Member Posts: 6
    I don't feel any discomfort while driving. I did move the seat up thinking maybe I was stretching my arms too far but over the weekend I got the third stiff back. Maybe I'm just getting old! Hopefully my body will just get used to it. I love to drive and this car is like a go-kart after driving an Odyssey for years.
  • jaimem26jaimem26 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering trading in my current car for a 2008 Honda Fit but after reading some reviews i am concerned that my bike will not fit. I have a 2005 Specialized Hard Rock mountain bike and wanted to know if someone can tell me what the interior dimensions of the Fit are. Specifically, the width between the rear seat doors when in tall mode and the height in the back with the seats folded down. I want to make sure that i would be able to fit my bike along with another bike which is fairly the same size. Thanks.
  • larryfitlarryfit Member Posts: 4
    I don't know the sizes. I have a 24 inch mountain bike it wouldn't fit in the back in tall mode. It however fits in the hatch with the seats folded flat with no problems. That is without me adjusting the seat or taking any of the wheels off or doing anything other then throwing it in the back(sideways not vertically). I don't think 2 bikes would fit back there without adjustments.
    Ok, both of the bikes i am talking about are 26 inch mountain bikes. Would your mountain bike fit in tall mode if you took the front tire off? Because both bikes have the quick release lever for the front tires and it would not be a problem to take them off and on for loading.
  • larryfitlarryfit Member Posts: 4
    I don't think one would fit in the back seat in tall mode with the front tire off, it might but it would probably be very close. With the front tires off they should both fit in the hatch fairly easily. Just make sure to be careful with the sharp parts of the bike and the plastic interior so not to scratch it.

And me being dumb I almost got grease on the interior the first time but since then I lay an old blanket down.
    Cool. Thanks for the info, definitley helps becuase i want to make sure i can carry both bikes around in there.
  • futurefitfuturefit Member Posts: 17
    I had a '84 Civic wagon with the same reflection problem. Even though I stopped using a cleaner/polish on the dash top, I still had reflections. I went to a fabric store and bought a piece of black felt. Not the small 1 square foot pieces, but a larger piece that was from a roll.
    Laid the felt on the car dash top, and using a pencil, marked where the fabric was needed to stop the glare. I found that I only needed the felt on the drivers side and mostly above the instrument cluster. ( I did'nt want the whole dash top covered.) After using the pencil to make a pattern on the felt, remove felt and carefully cut out the pattern. I used Elmers water based glue so it would be easy to remove. A light bead of glue around the edges and a few lines of glue on the interior of the felt is enough to adhere it. Don't smear it all over felt. You don't want it to bleed through to the top when you lightly press in place.

I used black for its light absorbing qualities, but another color might work and look better with your particular color dash.

I had that car for 14 years and only changed it once. And making the second one was easier because I removed the original and used that for a template.
    It was also pretty easy to clean. It would get dusty, and need a light brush off with my hand, glove, whatever. Even a brush. :D
    I thought it looked better then those carpet covers. A little too "old lady" for me. ;) But then I live in NY and don't have the intense southwest sun to deal with.
    I also made one for my '93 corolla wagon, thats my current car. I'm holding on to it till the new Fit is here. Hope this helps.

Len
  • pilsnerpilsner Member Posts: 8
    I have seen a couple of different armrests available to fit between the two front seats. Does anyone have feedback on them? Strong opinions pro or con? I am looking to get one but since it is $100+ for what is basically a plastic box I want to make sure it does the job. Thanks.
  • kiki7kiki7 Member Posts: 1
    Wow -- guess I'm not the only one. I test-drove a Fit today and loved everything about it EXCEPT that darned driver's seat that cannot be adjusted height-wise. It put my arms at a really uncomfortable angle on the steering wheel (very tiring) and I felt like I could barely see over the dash. I would have bought the car on the spot if not for that. If only they could put the Civic driver's seat in the Fit!!
  • clarksterynclarksteryn Member Posts: 18
    I just gave mine a hard tug and it came out, threw it away and moved on. Sort of like a little umbilical cord from it's birth canal in Japan. :P
  • denden2denden2 Member Posts: 2
    I've found a double armrest AND center console that is easy to install. Goto
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_fit_accessories/index.htm, and you'll see installation and ordering info. Aint cheap, but quality rarely is.
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    Oh that looks great. Gonna have to buy one as soon as possible. Then of course I'll have to buy a horse to Fit my cart.
  • denden2denden2 Member Posts: 2
    I gave out a bad url for the armrest/console. It's a jazz import. Goto
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_fit_accessories/import_parts.htm

Even shows ya the instructions.
  • orkieorkie Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Honda Fit last night. I test drove an automatic for 15 minutes and it seemed great. On my hour long drive home i soon found myself uncomfortable. My biggest concern, and one that has yet to be discussed, is the HUMP that the seat is mounted to. When i pull my seat all the way back i find that the hump incroches into my foot space. I like to ride with my left leg bent at a 90 degree angle and CANT do it because of this awkaard configuration of the car floor.

Whats underneat the hump? I NEED to do something about this issue. Can i take it out or flatten it somehow?

Also, does anyone have any recomendations for padding on the drivers side. My lower back hurts after the drive. Id like something that looks like part of the car. Not a duck tape McGiver job. But all suggestions are welcome! :)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    the gas tank is under the hump.
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    wow I have no idea what you're talking about. With the driver's seat all the way back, the only way to get your foot on the gas hump is if you put your heel up against the seat. I ride with the seat all the way back, and I have my left leg bent close to 90 degrees. Are you talking about the hump that's on the left side, up under the dash (under the hood release?)
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    ok, checked it out on the way home. The tank does invade the foot area about 3 inches. I maintain that if your legs are long enough that the seat is all the way back, you don't hit that hump with right-angle legs. It'd have to be more acute than that. You'd have you calf just about against the seat. which is maybe what you do.
  • marstokyomarstokyo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm an artist and owner of a 2007 Fit. I just took down a show of my work at a Gallery in Bethesda, MD. I was sure I would need two cars to take everything back to Baltimore. I didn't. It was pretty amazing the amount of equipment and display pieces, not to mention the art work itself that fit into the Fit™. And there was room for more.
    Pictures are here:
    http://marstokyo.livejournal.com/1398991.html

I love my Fit!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I am in the need to purchase a vehicle for my 85 year old dear ole mom. I am leaning toward the Fit over the Scion XD. Would intend to get a base Fit automatic, because quite frankly it will probably get pretty beat up over the next couple years in her bumper parking and don't want to put a lot of money into this, but get a safe car. I'm thinking the narrower size of these vehicles, and the good visibility are the better choice than a normal sedan. Quite frankly my one outstanding concern is whether she'll be able to reach up and have enough strength to shut the hatchback.

She lives by herself and needs a vehicle where she lives in PA, typically puts maybe 3K miles a year on it and rarely over 45 mph. She drives only local streets to the store, church, and exercise to maintain what joint mobility she does have.

Do you folks think the Fit is a good "fit" for these circumstances? I think the knobs are such that she can turn them. Are there any things that you've seen that would prevent an elderly lady from driving this gen-Y vehicle?
  • futurefitfuturefit Member Posts: 17
    I'd say getting in and out of a car would be a concern for an 85 year old. Check the seat height to minimize her having to squat or bend and twist to get in and then pull herself out again.
    Just curious, how did you arrive at choosing between a Scion xd or a Fit? Does she play in a band? ;)
    Trying to find a vehicle that sits the driver a little higher for visibility purposes.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Actually, for your requiremens, I'd vote for the Versa, especially the SL trim. That will give you the seat height adjuster as well as a very comfortable driver's seat. The Versa does not usually get as good a mileage as the Fit, but if your mother drives slowly and not many miles a year, the fuel economy would not be that big an issue. I would recommend that you take your mother to both Honda and Nissan dealerships and compare the Fit and Versa.

Disclosure: I drive a Fit, but also drove a Tiida (JDM Versa).
  • cecilskongcecilskong Member Posts: 2
    I found the seats didn't have enough lumbar support - so I purchased a tempurpedic transport lumbar cushion - works like a charm. Love my Fit !
  • jacintajacinta Member Posts: 6
    You're going to let your 85 year old mother drive? Why don't we have laws against this? You even know that she can't park safely and you are ok with this? Unbelievable!
    You're going to let your 85 year old mother drive? Why don't we have laws against this? You even know that she can't park safely and you are ok with this? Unbelievable!

The thing is that I know people who are about 60 years younger than this other poster's mother and can't park square. And I also know people who are in their 80s and drive and park just fine, if a little more slowly than those who are younger. So what shall we do? Shall we ban everyone who cannot park well in all age groups? Or are you just against old people driving?

If the risk quotient of older drivers is your beef, then all of us should have been allowed to drive only when we became 25 years or older, since younger ones are statistically just as dangerous as the older.
  • widetrack2000widetrack2000 Member Posts: 13
    If you can wait, the new redesigned 2009 Honda Fit would be a much better car for your mother for what she'll be using it for because of a few key upgraded features that aren't availible on the current model. The front quarter windows are three times bigger which will give her a better 360 view of what's going on around her and the winshield will be moved forward to give her better visibility plus you'll be able to buy one where the entire drivers seat rotates around (click on link below for picture) which would dramatically help a senior citizen get in and out of the car.

http://world.honda.com/news/2007/4071018All-New-Fit/photo/pages/06.html

Just a thought.....
    Unfortunately, that swivel front seat feature is only available as a special order item in the Japanese market, and then only for the passenger-side seat (which is on the left-hand side there). It is extremely doubtful that this feature will show up in the U.S.

Also, my feeling is that the old (current) Fit is probably slightly easier to park because it is narrower than the new (next-gen) Fit. I have not driven the new one, but that's my impression. I would be happy to be proven wrong, though!
  • widetrack2000widetrack2000 Member Posts: 13
    I hadn't heard about the swivel seat only being offered in the Japan market, only that we weren't going to get the glass roof or the smaller engine options they do so thanks for the info!
  • sportyfitsportyfit Member Posts: 3
    So, I just had the carpet floor mat system installed in my Honda Fit Sport, and I have to say I am quite annoyed. I paid $160 ($100 + installation) to have mats installed, thinking that the "hook" system mentioned on the website was something much grander and worth my money than it actually was.

However, it is simply a few awkwardly and inconveniently placed hooks holding the mats in.

I am assuming this is for safety reasons, but if this is true can someone explain to me why the mat behind the driver has no hooks at all?! If that one doesn't need hooks, why do the others?!

I could have purchased the mats and skipped the installation altogether, saving $60.
    In most cars it is only the drivers mat that has hooks, to keep the mat fom inching forward and potentially causing the gas pedal to be depressed, or the gas pedal to jam on the mat.

You paid for some of that marble at the dealership.

See if you can get a 'free' oil change from the salesman.....to avoid a dissatisfied CSI survey.
    No problem. The swivel seat feature for physically-challenged individuals has been available in Japan for the Fit since 2001, and just about any car in Japan can be special-ordered with the same kind of seat as a manufacturer's option. If there is enough marketing push for it, then who knows? It may show up here as well. But it has never been a standard equipment for any car even in Japan, except for a few kei-class cars that almost exclusively market for women (make it easier with skirts, seriously).

This is a good example of Honda Japan's "barrier free" vehicle offering:

http://www.honda.co.jp/welfare/lineup/passenger-lift/life/index.html
  • kjaba1kjaba1 Member Posts: 10
    There I was, fat, dumb and happy, planning to replace my ancient Ford Windstar later this year with a Honda Element in order to continue to occasionally cart around my two Newfoundland dogs when I recently discovered that the Fit has "Magic Seats" that fold down low and flat enough to possibly qualify the Fit as a dogmobile for my two beasts. Though the Fit would still not have the cargo volume of an Element I wonder if any of you Fit owners have large dogs and do you find the space adequate to take them on short jaunts with at least a modicum of comfort?

Also, does anyone know if the 2009 Fit will also have these Magic Seats? Thank you.
    Also, does anyone know if the 2009 Fit will also have these Magic Seats?

The answer is yes.

If you transport dogs in your car, you may find the following Japanese Honda Fit site interesting:

http://www.honda.co.jp/dog/honda-car/fit2007/

It's written in Japanese, but click on photos, and you will have a pretty good sense.
  • ellenocellenoc Member Posts: 25
    You bet. The only reason that a car made it onto my Look At list was if the back seats went down in a way that made a flat floor for taking my dog (Rottweiler) and all her equipment to shows. The Fit was the first of 6 models on my list to look at and when I got to the dealer's I almost turned around and drove away because from the outside the car looked too small to be what I wanted. Imagine my surprise when I found that the fabric folding crate that I carry to shows tied to one side of the back not only fit, there was more room all around it than in my previous car (Subaru Impreza wagon).

Then I drove the Fit (Sport MT) and fell so in love it was hard to force myself to look at the other cars on my list. I did do that and probably didn't judge any of the others fairly. And then went back and got the Fit. That was 5,000 miles and 4 months ago and I'm still in love with the car. My back seats are never up. I have a foam pad covered with blankets on the back floor and the dog rides there. Foloded crate tied flat against driver's side in the back. Dog cart when I take it tied back against the hatch and shafts run along the passenger's side all along the back to the front and along the passenger's front door. Cooler and gear bag also all the way in the back against the hatch door. That still leaves plenty of room for the dog in the back and room on the front passenger seat and floor for even more.
    Thanks so much, Jacksan1 and Ellenoc, for your quick replies. You have not only answered my questions but also, if all goes well, will have saved me thousands of dollars on the purchase price and about fourteen extra miles per gallon by choosing the Fix over the Element. Such a deal!

Jacksan1, I'm intrigued by the pictures of that yellow cover the Golden Retriever is resting on; it looks as if it is designed for the Fit. Do you know if and where this cover is available for purchase?

Again, thanks to you both. I really appreciate your help.
    You're very welcome kjaba1. It's my pleasure.

You are talking about this product, correct?

http://www.honda.co.jp/dog/accessory/mat/

It's called the "Travel Dog" pet sheet mat. This is a dealer-option item in Japan. I have quickly run a search for it to see whether anyone is selling it in North America, but come up empty, which makes sense, since this new Fit has not been released yet.

I remotely recall seeing a product like this being advertised in one of those flight magazines (SkyMall), but I may be wrong.

If you really want this genuine Honda accessory tailor-made for the new Fit, you may wish to contact College Hills Honda and ask whether or not they would be willing to source one for you. I buy regularly from College Hills Honda, and they are good at sourcing JDM products.
    Yes, jacksan1, that appears to be it and I thank you again. Since the dimensions of the 2009 Fit are slightly different from the present model, you're probably quite right that the pet sheet mat may not be available for the American market until fall.

I have seen College Hills Honda mentioned in other chats; it must be a popular site and I'll give it a try. You have been a great help.
    Upon further research, I have learned that this Honda dog sheet mat is not really tailor-made for the Fit. Rather, they offer two (2) sizes, one for the kei-class cars (660cc) and the other for "regular" cars, like the Fit. It is adjustable to different interior sizes, apparently. In other words, if need be, this same product can be used in non-Honda cars as well.
    That's interesting. I could find nothing through College Hills Honda, so perhaps this Travel Dog is only available for the Japanese market. That would be too bad because there is doubtless a strong market here for something as useful and logical as this mat seems to be, what with the great number of Americans who like to cart their pooches around.
    If I were you, I would e-mail College Hills Honda and ask them to get this product. If there is a demand, they will consider it, and the first demand call has to come from somone. And that can be you. College Hills already has a supply chain open for other JDM Honda products, so it should not be a problem at all for them to source the dog-related specialized Honda JDM products so long as there is a call for them. Ask, and the door may be opened.
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    I was replacing a '90 Dodge Caravan that saw a lot of dog hauling in its day. I eliminated a number of possibilities, i.e. Nissan Versa, Toyota Prius and others, that didn't have the fold-flat rear seats and utility of the Fit. What sold me on the Fit was being able to put a dog crate in the back with the rear seats folded down with the crate door adjacent to the passenger-side rear door. The crate can be opened without hitting anything and the dogs can jump right in. There is still a great deal of room behind the crate for luggage, etc. The salesman was somewhat surprised when I asked for his help to see if the crate would fit, but he helped me load it in the showroom-floor Fit. We can haul our three Beagles in the Fit just fine and we should even be able to use the Fit as a vacation vehicle mit mutts.
  • ellenocellenoc Member Posts: 25
    Your concern was mine exactly. I only looked at vehicles where the rear seats folded down absolutely flat. Although the seats did fold flat in the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (which I thought I'd like the most), the big gap in the floor behind the front seats wasn't inviting (and I didn't like the steering). The Scion had the same big gap in the floor behind the front seats and felt clunky to drive. I fell in love with the Fit from the first. My show dog is a Rottweiler, so she travels with the whole of the back end of the Fit as her crate and a folded fabric crate tied flat against the driver's side in the back to use at the show sites. I can fit her and all her equipment easily - there's more room than in my last car, a Subaru Impreza wagon.
  • elliejelliej Member Posts: 2
    The three drivers in our household, of different heights, are having the same problem with the angle of the accelerator. It causes the foot to remain unnaturally flexed and is extremely uncomfortable in a short amount of time. I've taken to driving with a rolled up towel or my purse under my right leg to adjust the angle but don't know how long I can tolerate this. An angled seat cushion relieves the problem with the right leg only to create discomfort with my left. Any other suggestions?